PDA

View Full Version : 2012 i5/i7 difffernce in fan noise while browsing

Acc
Jun 22, 2012, 12:56 PM
Just curious if anyone knows if there would be a difference in fan noise between the 2012 i5 & i7 MacBook Airs while doing less intensive tasks like web browsing?

Assuming money's not an issue, I am trying to figure out if there is a down side to the more powerful processor. I won't be using the extra power much now (who knows in future years) and I wouldn't want to spoil my user experience with a noisey machine. If there isn't really a difference, the faster processor might extend the useful life a year or two longer.

Who knows the answer?

Creek0512
Jun 22, 2012, 01:04 PM
I can't imagine that their would be any differnce or that you would even notice the fan while just surfing the internet. I've had my 2012 i7 for a week now and I have yet to even notice the fan.

Cliff3
Jun 22, 2012, 01:10 PM
Since both processors have the same thermal design power rating and maximum temperature I can't imagine how the fan noise could be much different between the two.

FWIW, flash video and running benchmarks like geekbench seem to do a nice job of spooling up the fans. Otherwise the machine is fairly quiet.