PDA

View Full Version : Vacation Blackout Hints at Late July Release for OS X Mountain Lion

MacRumors
Jun 22, 2012, 02:02 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/22/vacation-blackout-hints-at-late-july-release-for-os-x-mountain-lion/)

At its Worldwide Developers Conference earlier this month, Apple officially announced that OS X Mountain Lion would launch sometime in July through the Mac App Store, carrying a low upgrade price of $19.99 for users of OS X Lion or Snow Leopard. Following the conference keynote, Apple also released a "near-final" version of OS X Mountain Lion to developers for testing purposes.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/mountain_lion_mac_app_store_wwdc.jpg

MacRumors has now heard from several employees at a third-party firm offering technical support for Apple products that their company has imposed a vacation blackout from July 22 through 29, requiring "all hands on deck" in its desktop and portables division to support an unspecified event.

Speculation naturally turns to OS X Mountain Lion as the event in question, although some potential customers may be hoping that new iMac and/or Mac mini hardware could arrive at the same time. Apple scheduled just such a simultaneous hardware/software launch last July, introducing new MacBook Air (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/20/apple-updates-macbook-air-line-with-sandy-bridge-thunderbolt-and-backlit-keyboards/) and Mac mini (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/20/apple-releases-new-sandy-bridge-mac-minis-and-thunderbolt-display/) models alongside OS X Lion (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/20/apple-launches-os-x-lion-via-mac-app-store/).

Article Link: Vacation Blackout Hints at Late July Release for OS X Mountain Lion (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/22/vacation-blackout-hints-at-late-july-release-for-os-x-mountain-lion/)

Michaelgtrusa
Jun 22, 2012, 02:03 PM
I happy to see you soon 10.8.

its93rc
Jun 22, 2012, 02:04 PM
Or is really hinting the iPhone 5...
tum tum tum

xgman
Jun 22, 2012, 02:05 PM
All hands on deck for a minor OS bump (yes I said minor) seems a bit much. Maybe some new hardware to go along with it hopefully.

Mad-B-One
Jun 22, 2012, 02:06 PM
tum tum tum

Yea, missing a conference though - they won't release it with just a press conference. The hint would rather be: iOS 6 in Fall 2012... tum tum tum

Radio
the new iphone launch for sure.

an osx launch would constitute a shorter lunch break than non vacation time off :p

nuckinfutz
I'm not thinking a downloadable only OS is cause for all employees being on deck and not being able to take vacation in a very popular month for taking vacation.

xgman
tum tum tum

I wish. It wouldn't hurt to get that going sooner, but highly doubtful.

Mad-B-One
Jun 22, 2012, 02:08 PM
All hands on deck for a minor OS bump (yes I said minor) seems a bit much. Maybe some new hardware to go along with it hopefully.

Some hope for the Mac Pro there :cool:

Razorhog
Jun 22, 2012, 02:08 PM
I'm betting it's Mountain Lion and hopefully the new iMac and Mac Mini. The iPhone will wait for a 4th quarter release.

xgman
Jun 22, 2012, 02:09 PM
Not even a glimmer. They said desktop and portables. That does sound like OSX ML, but imac could be present to round things out. Still 7 days seems like overkill.

heisetax
Jun 22, 2012, 02:10 PM
With only a year to correct a ll of the shot t comings of Lion there is little hope left. With Apple spending so much lof it's time dumbing down the Mac OS I have my doubts of being wowed again.

iMcLovin
Jun 22, 2012, 02:11 PM
YES!, let there be a new iMac !!!

sjp5317
Jun 22, 2012, 02:13 PM
I bought my Macbook Pro in Summer of 2010 and it had Snow Leopard on it. I then did the upgrade to Lion when it came out. I, of course, will upgrade to Mountain Lion when it comes out. Do you think continuously upgrading a version of Mac OS X would "degrade" or something similar?
I come from and continue to be in the world of Windows in my career. I do fresh installs of Windows when new versions come out because it just works better.

xgman
Jun 22, 2012, 02:13 PM
What events have they done this vacation blackout for so long in the recent past?

olowott
Jun 22, 2012, 02:14 PM
Hope it Comes in Early July or Mid :)

and Please Kindly add some iMacs n mini to the list with new tags ;)

rmwebs
Jun 22, 2012, 02:15 PM

Given the (pathetic) update it received less than 30 days ago, no .... just...no. The next Mac Pro update will not be this year.

bounou
Jun 22, 2012, 02:16 PM
Ivy bridge refresh of the mini would be nice, not going to lie i would really like to see a mini with a decent GPU in it, something like the 650m

xgman
Jun 22, 2012, 02:16 PM
Given the (pathetic) update it received less than 30 days ago, no .... just...no. The next Mac Pro update will not be this year.

yes, moved on. Now I am in the imac line waiting all over again. :(

Metal Dice
Jun 22, 2012, 02:22 PM
Hopefully we'll see a new iMac the 22th of July!

QCassidy352
Jun 22, 2012, 02:24 PM
I can't see this being the iPhone because of the fall iOS six release... But what else would require an all hands on deck?? ML, iMac, and Mac mini would definitely not (ML is download only, and the other two are not big enough sellers or even close).

KylePowers
Jun 22, 2012, 02:25 PM
Neato burrito.

I'd put money on new iMacs and Mac Minis in July.

13in rMBP in August.

2012 iPhone in September.

Me claiming bankruptcy in October.

kironin
Jun 22, 2012, 02:31 PM
great! should be able to skip Lion like I skipped Leopard.

rumors-reader
Jun 22, 2012, 02:32 PM
Too much being read into this.

it's back to school demand.

britboyj
Jun 22, 2012, 02:32 PM
Apple Retail hasn't blocked off vacations for OS releases since AT LEAST 2007. I wouldn't be surprised if this is for something else, or specifically for areas that have high physical sales on OS's, especially with the emphasis on App Store download process for it.

HurryKayne
Jun 22, 2012, 02:35 PM
Imac?

charlituna
Jun 22, 2012, 02:37 PM
MacRumors has now heard from several employees at a third-party firm offering technical support for Apple products that their company has imposed a vacation blackout from July 22 through 29, requiring "all hands on deck" in its desktop and portables division to support an unspecified event.

which only suggests that said company believes the release will be at that time, not that they actually have any real information

sweetbrat
Jun 22, 2012, 02:38 PM
The article doesn't say that Apple is requiring all hands on deck.
"MacRumors has now heard from several employees at a third-party firm offering technical support for Apple products that their company has imposed a vacation blackout from July 22 through 29"

Wouldn't that make sense for a new OS release? People will need tech support installing ML and dealing with any problems that go along with it...

charlituna
Jun 22, 2012, 02:39 PM
I'm not thinking a downloadable only OS is cause for all employees being on deck and not being able to take vacation in a very popular month for taking vacation.

This wasn't Apple but rather some 3rd party company that figures they will have customers with questions during that time. So they want to be prepared to a surge.

knucklehead
Jun 22, 2012, 02:40 PM

Perhaps it's so they can all have a chance to tidy up the stores while all the customers are at home downloading ... ?

AppleDroid
Jun 22, 2012, 02:42 PM
I look forward to upgrading next spring! (Fool me once Apple. My 2009 Mac Pro won't sleep with Lion)

nuckinfutz
Jun 22, 2012, 02:42 PM
If anything it's the Genius Bar that better prepare.

class77
Jun 22, 2012, 02:43 PM
I thought there were posting all over yesterday that Mountain Lion would be released July 19!

Mountain Lion release (http://macdailynews.com/2012/06/18/mountain-lion-release-date-thursday-july-19-2012/)

spazzcat
Jun 22, 2012, 02:45 PM
I can't see this being the iPhone because of the fall iOS six release... But what else would require an all hands on deck?? ML, iMac, and Mac mini would definitely not (ML is download only, and the other two are not big enough sellers or even close).

Your internet slow, come to the Apple Store and we will download and install it for you...

charlituna
Jun 22, 2012, 02:48 PM
Apple Retail hasn't blocked off vacations for OS releases since AT LEAST 2007.

It wasn't Apple this time either but it isn't that insane to hear that they might have blocked off vacations the week after a release for Apple Care operators and the Genius Bar. but 'all hands' for an OS is highly unlikely to happen since it's a download.

Ciclismo
Jun 22, 2012, 02:52 PM
Methinks new iMac and Mac Mini. Me also thinks its taking too long to update the non-mobile hardware and that I will probably axe my plans to buy a new iMac and opt for a PC and then a Mac Mini later on, because I am sick of waiting.

BornAgainMac
Jun 22, 2012, 02:53 PM
Yes, new desktop Macs. There needs to be time to get ML installed on those new Macs. And the 3rd week of the month is classic Apple to release a new hardware product.

Crzyrio
Jun 22, 2012, 02:55 PM
Last year was the first year Apple went with the whole App Store OS release, they probably had an unexpected number of people come in for issues.

Hence the black out this time?

xgman
Jun 22, 2012, 02:57 PM
Too much being read into this.

it's back to school demand.

No, actually they plan on announcing the new iDevice connector has 19 pins! Woohoo!!! :rolleyes:

bayleaves
Jun 22, 2012, 03:05 PM
Hopefully we'll see a new iMac the 22th of July!

Probably not on a Sunday, but maybe Tuesday, July 24, after they've had a chance to get the stores set up? I am really hoping that this will be it, and I know I'm not alone! :)

eucsstamticc
Jun 22, 2012, 03:09 PM
I'm patiently waiting for a new iMac!!!!!:eek:

ipedro
Jun 22, 2012, 03:09 PM

Agreed. A brand new iMac is overdue and as one of their flagship products, it will very likely receive attention before the end of the summer. The launch of Mountain Lion is an ideal launch date.

I wonder if Apple can get 27" retina displays...

CplBadboy
Jun 22, 2012, 03:11 PM
I bought my Macbook Pro in Summer of 2010 and it had Snow Leopard on it. I then did the upgrade to Lion when it came out. I, of course, will upgrade to Mountain Lion when it comes out. Do you think continuously upgrading a version of Mac OS X would "degrade" or something similar?
I come from and continue to be in the world of Windows in my career. I do fresh installs of Windows when new versions come out because it just works better.

Personally speaking from experience I would do a fresh install. I upgraded to Lion from SL and I had absolutely nothing but performance problems. Tried everything there was to try. In the end i bit the bullet and fresh installed Lion and copied all my data over old school style (drag and drop) and Lion runs brilliantly. Gonna leave ML though. My Blackbook is pretty much at its limits for the evolving software and I have no such luxury as the advanced multi touch gestures so will just have to experience ML when I can afford a new piece of Mac hardware!

riverfreak
Jun 22, 2012, 03:20 PM
With only a year to correct a ll of the shot t comings of Lion there is little hope left. With Apple spending so much lof it's time dumbing down the Mac OS I have my doubts of being wowed again.

Dumbing down the OS? What the heck are you using a graphical interface for, hmm? You'd best dump it now and get on run level 3 somewhere.

Dionte
Jun 22, 2012, 03:26 PM
I was hopin for the first week, guess I'll make a partition for now.

DisMyMac
There needs to be time to get ML installed on those new Macs.

Why not make them buy it with Lion, then charge $19.99 for ML?

It's even the same price as their MPEG-2 component (http://store.apple.com/us/product/D2187Z/A). That's actually a savings for anyone not needing it, you see...

newagemac
So the mythical Apple TV is really true! :D

resurrector17
Jun 22, 2012, 03:41 PM
17" Retina MacBook Pro!

eucsstamticc
Jun 22, 2012, 03:49 PM
Apple has already stated on their site that new Macs will qualify for a free upgrade to ML.

Bheleu
Jun 22, 2012, 03:52 PM
Something new is a brewing... something that security was beefed up for earlier in the year with a complete lock down on security. Nothing gets leaked that is not desired to be leaked. We either have the iPad mini (doubtful) or the Retina TV.

doelcm82
Jun 22, 2012, 03:53 PM

Because, dammit, computers should be hard to use!

adildacoolset
Jun 22, 2012, 03:55 PM
new iMacs + mac minis supplementing the mountain lion release. Similar to last year. You heard it from me.

JustMartin
Jun 22, 2012, 03:56 PM
which only suggests that said company believes the release will be at that time, not that they actually have any real information

Yes, probably company doesn't know much more than something might be happening around that time so are playing safe. Thought it might be new hardware at first, but that doesn't really figure to me. If you're going to gear up to do hardware support, then the time to do that would be when the (presumably expert) early adopters are done and the regular folks start taking them up, at least a month after launch.

eucsstamticc
Jun 22, 2012, 03:56 PM
if there is a Retina iTV then there sure as hell better be a Retina iMac 27" for me!

doelcm82
Jun 22, 2012, 03:59 PM
Why not make them buy it with Lion, then charge $19.99 for ML?

It's even the same price as their MPEG-2 component (http://store.apple.com/us/product/D2187Z/A). That's actually a savings for anyone not needing it, you see...

I wouldn't have minded paying $20 for Mountain Lion on my new Retina MPB. But, since it's free, it really is a savings.

I think Apple holds a patent on defying critics' expectations.

GREEN4U
Jun 22, 2012, 04:01 PM
I need to buy a new Macbook Air for school, but is there any advantage (performance-wise) to waiting until the MBA ships native with Mountain Lion pre-installed? I had a really bad experience "upgrading" from Tiger to Leopard. Things were really twitchy and laggy afterward. I'd hate for a new computer to behave the same way.

Navdakilla
Jun 22, 2012, 04:04 PM
Neato burrito.

13in rMBP in August.

2012 iPhone in September.

Me claiming bankruptcy in October.

Amen to that, I would love this lineup

clukas
Jun 22, 2012, 04:29 PM
I need to buy a new Macbook Air for school, but is there any advantage (performance-wise) to waiting until the MBA ships native with Mountain Lion pre-installed? I had a really bad experience "upgrading" from Tiger to Leopard. Things were really twitchy and laggy afterward. I'd hate for a new computer to behave the same way.

Not really, its the same hardware. You can just use lion for now, and when mountain lion ships make a backup and perform a clean install. I would suggest you make a traditional copy and paste backup rather than a time machine backup.

jakesteramma
Jun 22, 2012, 04:52 PM
If it's ML, I'm not looking forward to all the people who get the first version of a new OS and then whine about glitches.

I'm excited to see what ML has to offer but I'll still wait for 10.8.1 or 10.8.2.

Cheers! :D

BornAgainMac
Jun 22, 2012, 05:03 PM
If it's ML, I'm not looking forward to all the people who get the first version of a new OS and then whine about glitches.

I'm excited to see what ML has to offer but I'll still wait for 10.8.1 or 10.8.2.

Cheers! :D

I upgraded to Lion within minutes of it coming out. Had no problems except I missed Expose. One of these days, I am going to get nailed for upgrading so quickly.

WardC
Jun 22, 2012, 06:52 PM
Will Apple bring back Rosetta support in Mountain Lion? This has been a big bummer for me and the place where I work, we have thousands of files in AppleWorks format and still running Snow Leopard so we can run AppleWorks. We really need that support, and I can't believe Apple totally yanked it like this in Lion -- The technology is there to fully support it, and there still are many PowerPC apps that have no intel versions, because they aren't supported.

pubb
Jun 22, 2012, 07:12 PM
AppleCare is partly run by Apple and partly through third party call centers. When a new product or OS is released, the call center staff begins training on the important parts of it THAT MORNING. Training modules on announced features gets done a day or two early, while the unannounced stuff gets its own module that day.

Staff is needed to man the phones, while other staff get up to speed.

Also, the call centers escalate urgent or widespread issues to Apple engineering for immediate treatment (things like boot to black, kernel panics, login issues, etc.). The night of a product launch is about the only time Engineering staff are available on call to tier 2 tech support. Any other times, tier 2 makes a request via a web based form and they'll get a terse reply back within 3-7 days. During the day of a launch, engineers are on call.

All that takes time and it takes lots and lots of manpower.

MacGurl111
Jun 22, 2012, 08:21 PM
I have a question.
I just got my rMBP so do I get a free upgrade or would I have to pay another 20.00 for it? Forgot to ask the rep.
New to all of this. Thank you!

Jovian9
Jun 22, 2012, 08:31 PM
I have a question.
I just got my rMBP so do I get a free upgrade or would I have to pay another 20.00 for it? Forgot to ask the rep.

Free upgrade.

MacGurl111
Jun 22, 2012, 08:44 PM
Free upgrade.

Thank you! :D

SchneiderMan
Jun 22, 2012, 10:51 PM
"All hands on deck" sheesh it's not like ML is a redesigned OS X. It looks and feels just like OS X Lion, Snow Leopard.

iMacC2D
Jun 23, 2012, 12:53 AM
AppleCare is partly run by Apple and partly through third party call centers. When a new product or OS is released, the call center staff begins training on the important parts of it THAT MORNING. Training modules on announced features gets done a day or two early, while the unannounced stuff gets its own module that day.

Staff is needed to man the phones, while other staff get up to speed.

I'll chip in and confirm this. I wouldn't be surprised if the "Third Party" involved here is actually AppleCare's phone support channel, who would undoubtedly be inundated with calls regarding the upgrade procedure, Mac App Store, transactions and any pre-upgrade and post-upgrade questions about how to use some of the new features in the system.

This is most certainly an "all hands on deck" kind of event for AppleCare. Hardware releases don't tend to generate anywhere near as much traffic for the phone support staff as the majority of questions are turned over to the Retail and Reseller channels at the point of sale, but software releases and upgrades that are designed to be performed in the users own home almost certainly require a phone support presence.

efktd
Jun 23, 2012, 01:33 AM
well that's great some new hardware might be released. but that's hilarious if a blackout is required for something that is distributed online lol. :p

ForkHandles
Jun 23, 2012, 02:21 AM
Looking forward to the ML release, a nice little spec bump.

It seems to me that Apple are no longer in the business of providing "operating" systems rather than ecosystems. Environments in which we live, drive and survive, using those systems to source our music, films and software. The benefits of upgrading to ML are similar to those of upgrading from iOS 5 to iOS 6, they fall mainly on Apple Incs side. With a better ecosystem, users will spend more of their money via their stores.

With that in mind why is a spec bump on my phone free and a spec bump for my Macs $20?

Mac owners are the evangelists of the Apple world, sure we derive a benefit from the upgrade but we will go on and tell the world to dump their Windows machines. Why do we have to tolerate being treated in such a fashion? Apple knows full well that those who cough up will go on to spend more money via the online stores. I suggest that the upgrade should be free of charge, and that charging the faithful $20 because they will pay is immoral.

This situation is not similar to the windows upgrade which I am sure will cost an awful lot more. Microsoft do not have an ecosystem which directs users to their stores. They have costs, they earn revenue from the sale of their platform. Apple's revenue from sales of the ML upgrade will be tiny in relation to income from their store businesses.

Perhaps Apple are sensible of this and have planned a blackout for all of those Mac users who have just learned their upgrade will be free and want to say thank you.

beg_ne
Jun 23, 2012, 02:39 AM
Will Apple bring back Rosetta support in Mountain Lion? This has been a big bummer for me and the place where I work, we have thousands of files in AppleWorks format and still running Snow Leopard so we can run AppleWorks. We really need that support, and I can't believe Apple totally yanked it like this in Lion -- The technology is there to fully support it, and there still are many PowerPC apps that have no intel versions, because they aren't supported.

No, it's not going to come back. Ever. Probably best to get some kind of plan in place to migrate those files to a different format.

Same goes for PPC apps, best start looking for replacements.

Not sure why you didn't start thinking about this a year ago when Lion was released though.

Daalseth
Jun 23, 2012, 09:12 AM
There were so many weird things people were saying about Lion that I just stayed on SL. Then last week I got my new MacBook Pro with Lion. Maybe it's just because it's 10.7.4 and not 10.7.0 but I like Lion a lot. Now, I can't wait until ML comes out.

SBlue1
Jun 23, 2012, 12:41 PM
As somone who just got a new MacBook pro a few days ago I have to say Lion is not that bad. I came from Panther though. :) So Mountain Lion is the icing on the cake for me. :)

xgman
Jun 23, 2012, 05:59 PM
"All hands on deck" sheesh it's not like ML is a redesigned OS X. It looks and feels just like OS X Lion, Snow Leopard.

my thoughts.....

heisenberg123
Jun 23, 2012, 08:40 PM
I have a question.

http://www.apple.com/osx/uptodate/

eucsstamticc
Jun 24, 2012, 12:58 PM
Here is an interesting pattern some might want to note.

Apple "all hands meeting" sometime between Feb22-Feb25
Ipad 3 launch date March 7th.

Apple "all hands meeting" May 22nd.
rMBP launch date June 11th.

Apple "all hands meeting" June 24th
iMac launch date ??July??(with or prior to an already announced OS update)

All this talk of "apple doesn't hold all hands meeting prior to product launch" is complete bologna.

pondosinatra
Jun 25, 2012, 09:52 AM
Well until Apple releases a non-glossy iMac I'll be sticking with Snow Leopard.

freelancing
Jul 12, 2012, 10:41 AM
I worked for the Apple Store for nearly 5 years. The only time there would be a vacation blackout would be for the following:

OS release - but for retail box sales, which will not exist for ML (major long lines for Jaguar, Panther, & Tiger)

iPhone Release - long lines and activations, oh my. All hands needed on deck for this, big time. New window designs after short close period, new shirts for staff, re-open, sell & activate

new product line release - such as the first Mac Mini - we had a line going through the mall and sold out - same for the first MBA.

The new iPods, while sexy - never generated lines through the store.

If the "all hands on deck" thing is for retail stores, it does not make sense for ML to be the reason, since this is now downloaded through the app store unless they plan on surprising everyone with retail box versions (which I highly doubt).

If this was a blackout for just AppleCare staff & engineers, that would make sense for ML.

I sense a tremor in the force - such as perhaps a new Retina Display iMac release in tandem w/ the new ML... or a new iPhone.

pubb
Jul 15, 2012, 11:40 PM
The lack of reading comprehension is baffling.

The "all hands" part of the rumor is that "all hands" need to be available at the call center during that week. It isn't a meeting, or an Apple Store. It is a room with lots and lots of phones with headsets, Macs and people with tattoos.

However it is distributed, people are going to need help. Some are going to run into problems while others are going to buy new Macs and have questions about how to install a printer. The people who answer the phones need to deal with both type of customer. That means time for training.

P

well that's great some new hardware might be released. but that's hilarious if a blackout is required for something that is distributed online lol. :p

my thoughts.....