PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Ed Catmull and Larry Ellison Remember Steve Jobs

MacRumors
Jun 22, 2012, 02:34 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/22/dr-ed-catmull-and-larry-ellison-remember-steve-jobs/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/NewImage27.png

Steve Jobs was a frequent guest at All Things D's annual D Conference, appearing six times (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/05/31/steve-jobs-d-conference-appearances-now-available-as-video-and-audio-podcasts/) with D hosts Kara Swisher and Walt Mossberg. After he passed away last year, Swisher and Mossberg felt it was important to have a session honoring Jobs and his legacy (http://allthingsd.com/20120622/catmull-and-ellison-pay-tribute-to-steve-jobs-the-full-d10-interview-video/).

They asked Dr. Ed Catmull, who worked with Jobs for years at Pixar, as well as Larry Ellison, the legendary CEO of Oracle who was one of Jobs' closest friends, to appear and reflect on Jobs' life.

Dr. Catmull also did a separate one-on-one interview (http://allthingsd.com/20120620/pixars-ed-catmull-on-how-to-be-brave-in-todays-hollywood-the-full-d10-interview-video/) with Kara Swisher. He discussed the history of Pixar, computer animation, and shared some fascinating stories about his experiences working with Jobs at both Pixar and Disney.

Image courtesy Asa Mathat/All Things D

Article Link: Dr. Ed Catmull and Larry Ellison Remember Steve Jobs (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/22/dr-ed-catmull-and-larry-ellison-remember-steve-jobs/)

DrJohnnyN
Jun 22, 2012, 02:38 PM
Jobs is so loved.

needfx
Jun 22, 2012, 02:43 PM
SJ might have got pissed if he woke up on the wrong side of the bed

IJ Reilly
Jun 22, 2012, 02:47 PM
I remember Steve Jobs. Wasn't he that Apple guy?

Shacklebolt
Jun 22, 2012, 02:53 PM
It got awkward when Ellison asked to be addressed as "Sir Lawrence Ellison, Lord of Hawaii."

bbeagle
Jun 22, 2012, 02:56 PM
I remember Steve Jobs. Wasn't he that Apple guy?

Don't you mean the PIXAR guy?

http://fortunebrainstormtech.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/screen-shot-2011-09-18-at-1-55-43-pm.png

isoMorpheus
Jun 22, 2012, 03:12 PM
The way Larry speaks reminds me of Woz a little.

Tonewheel
Jun 22, 2012, 03:27 PM
"So...uh...like, do you remember, uh, Steve Jobs?"

"Yes."

"He was awesome."

thekev
Jun 22, 2012, 03:31 PM
Don't you mean the PIXAR guy?

Image (http://fortunebrainstormtech.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/screen-shot-2011-09-18-at-1-55-43-pm.png)

It's weird seeing him in a suit isn't it?

Shrink
Jun 22, 2012, 03:58 PM
Jobs is so loved.

Well...highly respected...:D

ProVideo
Jun 22, 2012, 04:04 PM
Did no one in the audience have even one question they could think of for either Ed Catmull or Larry Ellison at the end? Shame on them if so.

ChrisTX
Jun 22, 2012, 04:05 PM
Great video, saw this a few days ago.

Renzatic
Jun 22, 2012, 04:11 PM
Did no one in the audience have even one question they could think of for either Ed Catmull or Larry Ellison at the end? Shame on them if so.

Yeah. The guy who practically invented 3D computer graphics as we know them today, and the guy who just got his ass handed to him by Google in court. I would've had a ton of questions.

rotax
Jun 22, 2012, 05:15 PM
The insight on the brick and mortar seems off to me. What Steve knew was that Apple had great products that people had to get their hands on to touch and see how beautiful they were and how they worked. As an Apple fan for a long time I can tell you that time and time again I heard sales people at Best Buy and other retail stores bash Apple over and over. "There is no software etc" Yes Steve wanted to build an iconic store that rose to the level of design of the products, but he also wanted to be able to represent the products directly without untrained and biased sales people maligning the brand. Combine that with top notch technical assistance, training, and service and he had success.

michaelant
Jun 22, 2012, 05:29 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the links. Not sure I would have seen these otherwise.

Bevz
Jun 22, 2012, 05:37 PM

Yeah i thought that a bit odd... They didnt seem to give people much time tho, it almost looked like someone waved at walt to wrap it up a bit quick... I hope that was the case otherwise the audience were a bunch of brain dead morons who quite frankly woudnt have deserved to be there otherwise lol

Piggie
Jun 22, 2012, 05:54 PM
Well...highly respected...:D

Well, I would not quite go that far.
Steve had a very narrow minded elitist view of the world and only preached to the top layers of the community.

Seeing him speak to high students about how they must individually strive to be the best, as he thought everyone should, be inventing things, starting companies and doing all they can to be high fliers.

Really Steve well, that's all dandy.

So tell me Steven who is going to empty your trash can, maintain the sewage plant so your toilet takes your waste away, clean the streets for you, and even assemble the products nice and cheap for you?

Oh, you mean those people that you don't think exist in the world?

If everyone followed Steve's advice the whole world would grind to a halt.
If it was not for the people he was not interested in, then there would be no Apple.

Rocketman
Jun 22, 2012, 06:06 PM
Video no go as of right now.

Now we finally know why Steve needed a big boat. To go to Larry's new island!

Rocketman

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-06-20/oracle-ceo-ellison-buying-most-of-hawaiian-island-lana-i

http://pursuitist.com/tech/steve-jobss-unfinished-luxury-feadship-superyacht/

http://pursuitist.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/feadship-8.jpg

And a video on a sad but insightful note:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2079671/Reed-Jobs-dad-Steve-proud-gameshow-appearance.html

Clown Boy
Jun 22, 2012, 06:34 PM
Sentimental nonsense. Let Steve RIP. People need to let go.

Shrink
Jun 22, 2012, 07:04 PM
Steve had a very narrow minded elitist view of the world and only preached to the top layers of the community.

Seeing him speak to high students about how they must individually strive to be the best, as he thought everyone should, be inventing things, starting companies and doing all they can to be high fliers.

So tell me Steven who is going to empty your trash can, maintain the sewage plant so your toilet takes your waste away, clean the streets for you, and even assemble the products nice and cheap for you?

If it was not for the people he was not interested in, then there would be no Apple.

All of what you say notwithstanding, I would still assert that Jobs was very well respected within the electronics community. That he was, arguably, not the most pleasant person in the world, does not diminish his contributions in the arena of personal computing.

He may have been an elitist, as you suggest, or less than laudable in other ways...he did make a significant contribution to the electronics industry, and, IMO, is well respected for those contributions.

frabber
Jun 22, 2012, 07:09 PM
very nice vid, especially the larry view of things

mBox
Jun 22, 2012, 07:21 PM
Ed is a god in my line of work.
The other guy is a pain for most IT line of work :)

bketchum
Jun 22, 2012, 07:38 PM
...Steve had a very narrow minded elitist view of the world...

...everyone should be inventing things, starting companies and doing all they can to be high fliers.

Robots. iRobots. Really cool, beautiful Apple iRobots. Steve was livid with Google not for stealing the iOS idea, but because they called it Android. Steve coveted that name for his future robots. Apple android. He wanted a lowercase "a" and liked the alliteration.

colour
Jun 22, 2012, 07:58 PM
Insightful.

Good to see what others very close to him have to say, after following apple over the years. I have developed my own opinion on him, which was more negative than positive but from this insight, Steve Jobs as a person would have been amazing to learn from and work with.

They have emphasized how much heart and soul he put into apple, and I guess his personality got in the way of things. He did great things and the money / success did follow, in saying this can anyone comment on say how many decisions were made with "money making" as a high priority within the company, especially over the last 3 years?

Chundles
Jun 22, 2012, 08:07 PM
"Legendary" CEO?

Larry Ellison has fallen into the realm of legend now? I can just picture him standing next to King Arthur and Beowulf.

Ugg
Jun 22, 2012, 09:44 PM

What's wrong with inspiring high school students? It would be silly if the crowd he was trying to inspire were 60 year olds, but not HS students.

Sentimental nonsense. Let Steve RIP. People need to let go.

It's generally customary to allow a year for people to mourn and reflect on so,eone's passing. Why are you so rushed to forget him?

IJ Reilly
Jun 23, 2012, 01:25 AM
"Legendary" CEO?

Larry Ellison has fallen into the realm of legend now? I can just picture him standing next to King Arthur and Beowulf.

He's a legend in his own mind. Remember, God doesn't think he's Larry Ellison.

Chundles
Jun 23, 2012, 01:38 AM
He's a legend in his own mind. Remember, God doesn't think he's Larry Ellison.

That's brilliant!

JohnMantooth
Jun 23, 2012, 02:24 AM
Lol @ NO ONE asking a question at the end.

rdowns
Jun 23, 2012, 07:15 AM
Not sure what a one-one-one interview is but I bet it's legendary.

bartzilla
Jun 23, 2012, 10:00 AM
Am I the only one who is vaguely disturbed by this constant need to rake up dead celebrities by people in the media? It's like they are using people's memories as 'hamburger helper' to help sell their newspapers/website/event and I'd actually be really happy if they stopped doing it.

gwales123
Jun 23, 2012, 10:01 AM
I enjoyed that very much - Steve made every day count - good for him!

LWX
Jun 23, 2012, 12:36 PM
Video doesn't work for me.... damn flash :(

AbyssImpact
Jun 23, 2012, 01:10 PM
Video doesn't work for me.... damn flash :(

iproducts don't have flash, sorry.

mBox
Jun 23, 2012, 01:13 PM
iproducts don't have flash, sorry.

Whats Flash?

KnightWRX
Jun 23, 2012, 01:40 PM
"Legendary" CEO?

Between his attitude, his product portofolio and the ubiquity of his company, yes, I'd say he's pretty much a legend. Guy is the Steve Jobs of Enterprise IT. You love to despise him, yet you can't help but use his products and the competition is years behind.

IJ Reilly
Jun 23, 2012, 04:29 PM
That's brilliant!

Thanks, I wish I could take credit. Years ago a book published about him was titled "The Difference Between God and Larry Ellison (God Doesn't Think He's Larry Ellison)."

http://www.isbnlib.com/cover/0060008768/L

But I will take credit for remembering.

erayser
Jun 23, 2012, 07:33 PM
I remember attending Larry Ellison's keynotes on the first night at Oracle World 2011 last year in SF, then a few days later Steve Jobs passed away.:(

Rocketman
Jun 23, 2012, 08:22 PM
God gave away the Hawaiian islands. She is not into material things.

SDAVE
Jun 23, 2012, 08:45 PM
Larry Ellison sounds like a bag of hurt.

gco212
Jun 24, 2012, 12:37 AM
Random question, but why is this repeatedly referring to him as Dr. Ed Catmull. First, I don't think Macrumors generally singles out those with doctorates, and I don't think the site is going to start calling all attorneys doctors. Is it just a bot thing or what?

mdriftmeyer
Jun 24, 2012, 02:26 AM
Random question, but why is this repeatedly referring to him as Dr. Ed Catmull. First, I don't think Macrumors generally singles out those with doctorates, and I don't think the site is going to start calling all attorneys doctors. Is it just a bot thing or what?

Dr. Ed Catmull with his Ph.D. in Computer Science is a pioneering Computer Scientist in Computer Graphics. His studies in mathematics and physics were put to good use with a Ph.D for CS.

Z-buffering and many other innovative ideas have all become reality.

Renderman being one of them.

colour
Jun 24, 2012, 03:17 AM

Do you have a diploma, associate degree, bachelor, masters or phd ?

As someone said above, some of these degrees represent difficult qualifications and merit which is often a result of research that contributes to a field or industry. Dr. Ed Catmull did not single handedly create everything in the 3D and motion picture field but certainly was a key player in what you and many take for granted today.

I don't know about you but it's something that I respect and society should also acknowledge someone's hard work, commitment, dedication and research which impacts society. If you studied at university at a higher level or for a long period of time you would know how of difficult and challenging it really is.

gco212
Jun 24, 2012, 08:20 AM
Dr. Ed Catmull with his Ph.D. in Computer Science is a pioneering Computer Scientist in Computer Graphics. His studies in mathematics and physics were put to good use with a Ph.D for CS.

Z-buffering and many other innovative ideas have all become reality.

Renderman being one of them.

I'm well aware of Catmull's qualifications as a huge fan of Pixar. That still does not explain why a news website would choose to signal him out as a doctor every time they use his name when they do not do that for every other doctor mentioned by the website. If the site is going to refer to him as Dr. Catmull, it should also be using the term Mr. Mossberg similar to how other publications refer to them (WSJ, etc.). It just seems out of place on the site.

liavman
Jun 24, 2012, 11:05 AM
You love to despise him, yet you can't help but use his products and the competition is years behind.

I do not know which of Oracle's products you think the competition is years behind. But it is not true in many cases. SAP recently surprised them with an in-memory DB and Oracle is catching up. Salesforce.com is way ahead of Oracle in CRM.. etc.

----------

It is a bit annoying to hear Larry Ellison referring to himself as a programmer. I do not know much about his background but I am assuming he was a genius programmer a few decades back, but it is still weird for him to refer to himself as that. Had he said he is a computer scientist by training or whatever, then it does not sound too bad.

Second, this three people format did not work for this kind of remembrance and tribute. These two are fighting about how to characterize Steve Jobs. LE seems to be on this 'I am a bigger friend of SJ' mode trying to outdo the Pixar Dr. But I am glad they did it, some of LE's anecdotes about SJ are funny.

IJ Reilly
Jun 24, 2012, 11:42 AM
I'm well aware of Catmull's qualifications as a huge fan of Pixar. That still does not explain why a news website would choose to signal him out as a doctor every time they use his name when they do not do that for every other doctor mentioned by the website. If the site is going to refer to him as Dr. Catmull, it should also be using the term Mr. Mossberg similar to how other publications refer to them (WSJ, etc.). It just seems out of place on the site.

This is a function of lazy writing, but even more so, of poor editorial oversight. It's an editor's responsibility to enforce stylistic consistency. The traditional media used to do a good job at this, but with the decline in the media economy, these outlets found editorial to be one of the easiest places to make cuts. And since most of the non-traditional media sources have never had much if any editorial oversight, a steady deterioration in written communication quality became the clear trend.

ramuman
Jun 24, 2012, 12:50 PM
Swisher is an imbecile. She comes across as someone that read the first 3 sentences of their Wikipedia page in front of Gates, Ellison, Jobs, Page/Brin, and Zuckerberg.

Charlie Rose has done far better interviews with these guys.

champ01
Jun 24, 2012, 04:13 PM

This is not an attack against you cause most people in the world have no idea what is possible with todays technology.

Someone already wrote it....ROBOTS!
These machines will do almost every job you could think of and that will give us HUMANS to become a real society without poverty, war, leaders, politics and all the other nonsense we face today.

Everyone is born a scientist, we all wanna explore what is out there.
It's the crap people get up with at school, on television etc. which makes people think they are stupid or smarter then their neighbor.

Whetter you think its a good or bad idea the whole world will be automated.
We will have a true one world economy without money, without crap, without stupid jobs but with more health, more freedom, true richness and amazing creative minds doing the best that they can. (or we make this planet unbearable)

Please watch the next movie (read the FAQ) if you want to know more about what I'm talk about. This is no science fiction.... this is what we all should be doing. http://www.paradiseoroblivion.com/watch.html

I never got the change to email Steve Jobs about this.
I miss the guy for all the good he did while he was alive. He will always be a big inspiration to me.
Steve was all about doing the best you can be but you got to have the freedom to do so. Most people in this world don't have that luxury and that's so sad because it doesn't have to be.

Rocketman
Jun 24, 2012, 06:30 PM
On Youtube.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-Yk4k2tG4A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPkvAOEgIKM

Full episode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7p2u_hMqK4

dru`
Jun 24, 2012, 06:50 PM
When Larry was relating the tail of the peacock, I could almost hear the words from Steve himself. It was eery and a little bit wonderful.

The last WWDC keynote did its task but it was overshadowed by Steve's absence. I miss the passion.

Rocketman
Jun 24, 2012, 07:35 PM
The most difficult time for me was the public release the day of/before his death. I like to think he saw and understood the presentation, and was screaming at the TV.

"Bricks and mortar is nonsense, It is just a joke. Aren't you reading the newspaper? Bricks and mortar is dead." - Larry Ellison

"We're not using bricks and mortar, we're using glass and steel." - Steve Jobs

"The brilliance of not being a follower . . ." - Larry Ellison

Just Rocketman

FYI ATT 1985:

http://www.itworld.com/business/282014/did-1985-film-coin-phrase-information-superhighway-and-predict-siri

Apple 1987

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIE8xk6Rl1w

Rocketman
Jun 24, 2012, 08:02 PM
I'm well aware of Catmull's qualifications as a huge fan of Pixar. That still does not explain why a news website would choose to signal him out as a doctor every time they use his name when they do not do that for every other doctor mentioned by the website.It's a little like saying, "Mr. President". It is a sign of respect for a position or set of accomplishments. Aside from his technical accomplishments he is the head of animation for Pixar and Walt Disney Studios, so he is at the very nexus of his trade technically and managerially, and financially. It turns out I know 5-6 people who work under him in highly skilled positions.

Rocketman

I don't even agree with President Obama's policies, but he is my President. I refer to him as Mr. President so long as he holds that position of accomplishment and respect in this exceptional country. Affirmative action aside.

gco212
Jun 25, 2012, 04:33 AM
It's a little like saying, "Mr. President". It is a sign of respect for a position or set of accomplishments. Aside from his technical accomplishments he is the head of animation for Pixar and Walt Disney Studios, so he is at the very nexus of his trade technically and managerially, and financially. It turns out I know 5-6 people who work under him in highly skilled positions.

Rocketman

I don't even agree with President Obama's policies, but he is my President. I refer to him as Mr. President so long as he holds that position of accomplishment and respect in this exceptional country. Affirmative action aside.

I don't know if you had some hand in writing the original article/post, but I don't think so as the post indicates it was a bot. Either way though, that's not acceptable on any real journalistic level. It's the type of lax journalism you'd expect to find on a blog. It's not the journalist that decides who gets the title consistently. You can list "Ph.D." at the beginning but unless one includes "Mr." for everyone else rather than just the last name, it's incorrect at a basic level.

And like I said in a previous post, I know of Catmull and his life's work is incredible. It's very cool that you have so many acquaintances that work for him and speak highly of him, a good sign of a boss regardless of success.

Rocketman
Jun 25, 2012, 07:35 AM
I see we can agree this is a blog and not of the highest possible journalistic levels. MacRumors in particular concatenates stories from around the web and the world on issues related to Apple. And no I am not a "formal contributor". I do however try to add value when I do post and not spend ALL my time mocking, and whining, and bragging about my latest hardware purchases, and every detail of their specifications.

If anything I would like to see mini-articles on how equipment is attached and set up into systems to deliver helpful benefits and cool tasks.

The only folks who can do that are the very ones who have accomplished it.

One of my best friends is a journalist for Reuters in China (lead for Bejing). When he publishes articles, more often than not there is a co-author and almost always 2-5 contributors and ALWAYS an editor, sometimes two. That's journalism. The editing function is supreme.

With blogging expediency is extreme, er, supreme.

On a positive note MR news articles on the front page typically have links to the original source material, a summary of the key points, quotes of the key language, and links to prior references to the subject. They may not always get the spelling right or be fully and entirely neutral on the subject, but they do provide everything needed to properly criticize them for the great job they do.

Rocketman

Dgail
Jun 28, 2012, 02:22 PM
What's wrong with inspiring high school students? It would be silly if the crowd he was trying to inspire were 60 year olds, but not HS students.

It's generally customary to allow a year for people to mourn and reflect on so,eone's passing. Why are you so rushed to forget him?

As someone on the spitting range of 60' I remain inspired by Steve.

He was a year behind me at the same elementary and "junior high" where we overlapped by 5 years. I hope maybe I inspired him in a positive way, LOL!

Agree with you on your second point.