Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mstruve

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2011
Hi, I have recently bought a Mac Mini and want to connect it to my 37" LCD Samsung tv. It's a 2011 mini so I am connecting via hdmi.

The problem is all of the resolution options on the mini look terrible. When I connect my windows PC to the screen it looks fine at 1360x768, but the Mini doesn't give that option.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

loboreeves

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2010
If you're using HDMI you can only select 720p, 1080p, 1080i. If you use VGA you can select 1360x768, but then you won't be able to play HD purchases and rentals from iTunes. The only solution I know of is to buy something like SwitchResX, which should allow you to select 1360x768 over HDMI.

mstruve

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2011
Thanks, that explains it.

The 2011 mini doesn't have VGA does it? I'm not fussed about iTunes HD.

What is SwitchResX and where can I buy it?

Thanks for your help.

mstruve

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2011
Ok I'm having some real problems here. I used SwitchResX to make a custom resolution, selected the new resolution and rebooted. Now the tv is saying 'mode not supported'. The computer is running but the screen is blank.

I think I need to get back into the settings to switch back to the default resolution but I have no idea how.

What do I do?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.