PDA

View Full Version : [Resolved] FileVault and bootcamp

Scuba629
Jun 22, 2012, 09:09 PM
Can u turn on FileVault and my firewall in the Mac os and not have it effect a windows bootcamp session?

KPOM
Jun 22, 2012, 09:35 PM
Boot Camp installs in a different partition. It won't be affected by FileVault2, except that your Windows installation won't be able to read the FileVault2 partition, since Apple hasn't provided a decryption utility for Windows.

Scuba629
Jun 23, 2012, 07:38 AM
And the firewall won't be an issue either?

KPOM
Jun 23, 2012, 07:49 AM
And the firewall won't be an issue either?

Yes, that shouldn't be an issue either. When you boot into Boot Camp, OS X is "off" so it shouldn't make a difference.

If you install Parallels Desktop or VMWare Fusion to run your Boot Camp partition as a virtual machine, Windows operates as a normal Mac application and can work with the firewall and FileVault2.

Scuba629
Jun 23, 2012, 08:07 AM
Yes, that shouldn't be an issue either. When you boot into Boot Camp, OS X is "off" so it shouldn't make a difference.

If you install Parallels Desktop or VMWare Fusion to run your Boot Camp partition as a virtual machine, Windows operates as a normal Mac application and can work with the firewall and FileVault2.

I wont be using it a lot on the windows partition. Like u suggested I'll be running it as a VM. So if I need I processing I'll do it this way.

Sounds like the only issue would be the windows partition trying to save stuff to Mac. Or read Mac stuff. I'll only be gaming while booted into windows.

Now the only question is how big to make the windows partition.