Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tayloralmond

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
Michigan, USA
Hello All,

I decided to do some before/after GeekBench scores on my Pismo with a G4 upgrade. My Pismo was originally running at 400MHz (G3) and is now running at 550MHz (G4). I picked up this processor from Wegener Media. Although the customer service was horrendous (it took 32 days, 3 calls, and 2 emails to finally receive it...and I live in the USA), but that aside, the processor is great. My Pismo is running quite a bit faster that before (and it was no pooch before). I've always felt the Pismos ran faster than any other G3 I've owned...most likely because the Pismos have 1MB L2 Cache compared to the much smaller L2 Cache in virtually every other G3. Also, I've included the GeekBench score for my 900MHz iBook G3 for comparison. The G4 really gives the 900MHz iBook G3 a run for its money even though it's a full 350MHz slower.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    44.7 KB · Views: 223
  • Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    47.7 KB · Views: 187
  • Picture 5.png
    Picture 5.png
    47.7 KB · Views: 169

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
The G4 really gives the 900MHz iBook G3 a run for its money even though it's a full 350MHz slower.

What'd they charge you for the upgrade and I don't understand how a g4 550 can run geekbench slower than a 900mhz g3?

Do you have a full gig of ram in the Pismo? What hard drive? I'd be interested in seeing it with a fast hard drive or ssd, also wondering if you can run Leopard.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
I have a decked out Pismo, 1gig of ram, horrible SSD ( yes, you can do it ), and the 900mzh G3 upgrade, and it scores WAY higher than that. I'd run it again and post screenshots if I felt like finding the charger for it.

Something isn't correct here.

pismobrat

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2007
Just chiming in...

That is so great that you are pushing hard with your Pismo. I miss that damn laptop something fierce.

I had one many years ago. Bought it the day after they announced the G4 Titanium’s. Paid 2200 for it. Anyways. I agree, that L2 1MB cache made a ridiculous difference in running applications.

One day I will splurge and get one.

tayloralmond

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
Michigan, USA
How difficult was it to upgrade? I would love to do the same to my G3 333 Lombard.

From my understanding, this isn't possible with the Lombard or Wall-Street. As far as difficulty goes, it literally took 5 minutes. It's by far the easiest processor upgrade I've ever done.

----------

Just chiming in...

That is so great that you are pushing hard with your Pismo. I miss that damn laptop something fierce.

I had one many years ago. Bought it the day after they announced the G4 Titanium’s. Paid 2200 for it. Anyways. I agree, that L2 1MB cache made a ridiculous difference in running applications.

One day I will splurge and get one.

Yeah, I'm very satisfied with my Pismo. I've never understood why people loved them so much, but they are the only Mac laptop in years that was so easily upgradable and expandable. On top of this, it's very powerful for its age. I've got my maxed out with 1GB of RAM, a G4 upgrade (obviously), and a 60GB SSD (installed utilizing a SATA to IDE converter and a little work with a dremmel to make room for the adapter). For a computer from 2000, it's a real champ.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.