PDA

View Full Version : MACWORLD 2012 MBA Review

justit
Jun 22, 2012, 10:25 PM
http://www.macworld.com/article/1167397/mid_2012_macbook_airs_offer_improved_performance_and_connectivity.html

Battery

but our results show roughly four hours of battery life for the 11-inch Air (slightly better than the 2011 modelís battery life), and around five hours of use for the 13-inch Air (about the same as its predecessor).

kylera
Jun 22, 2012, 11:46 PM
In all fairness, Macworld says its tests are designed to drain the battery quickly.

Gregintosh
Jun 23, 2012, 12:11 AM
In all fairness, Macworld says its tests are designed to drain the battery quickly.

That may be true, but they used the same test last year. So they are mostly the same. If they had used a different test last year, the results wouldn't have been comparable.

The air is a great laptop, but I think their buying advice is sound. There isn't enough to justify an upgrade if you own a 2011 model and are happy with it.

kylera
Jun 23, 2012, 12:24 AM
That may be true, but they used the same test last year. So they are mostly the same. If they had used a different test last year, the results wouldn't have been comparable.

The air is a great laptop, but I think their buying advice is sound. There isn't enough to justify an upgrade if you own a 2011 model and are happy with it.

Good point on the battery test part.

Personally, I'm upgrading from a PowerBook so it's going to be night and day for me :p

lonewolf604
Jun 23, 2012, 01:19 AM

One shouldnt be upgrading every year anyway.....unless its a huge jump

TrollToddington
Jun 23, 2012, 01:46 AM
Thanks for the link. It was an interesting read.

I wouldn't buy a computer based on some website general recommendations. Everyone's needs are different. Besides, they've changed almost everything on the inside, there is a faster processor, faster RAM, more RAM, faster & larger SSD, USB 3, better IGP. I think if some of these are crucial for your job then the MBA 2012 is a very, very worthy upgrade.

KohPhiPhi
Jun 23, 2012, 04:56 AM
There isn't enough to justify an upgrade if you own a 2011 model and are happy with it.

I agree, as long as you're happy with 4gb RAM (probably the 2011 model's main limiting factor). If not, the 8gb RAM on the 2012 model is quite a bonus!

Boyd01
Jun 23, 2012, 05:11 AM
There isn't enough to justify an upgrade if you own a 2011 model and are happy with it.

No matter how great a new computer is, why would you upgrade if you're happy with the one you have now? ;)

Here's something I hadn't seen before though

Once you update your 2012 MacBook Air with the MacBook Air (Mid 2012) Software Update 1.0, you can connect two external Thunderbolt displays for a total (including the built-in display) of three displays.