Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greentaloy

macrumors member
Original poster
May 27, 2012
bcaf2fb5.jpg

c026c7c1.jpg

3170ad03.jpg

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79312161&utm_source

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
...that's not an explosion. Only part that really can explode is the battery....

CPU overheat?

No, the CPU is somewhere inside, not at the edge.

To me looks like something wrong with the connector, or related to the connector/charging. Maybe the USB cable had a defect, or was connected to an ultra high power source. Or the internal charge current control failed.

...ok, let me read it a bit.... (I just read the the original article, OK?)....

So he had the phone in the car dock while driving. I presume the car charger failed and overloaded the phone.

Samsung customer service contacted him, they came to his place and gave him a new phone. Now that's good customer service!

udk6dodger

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S3 EXPLODES

After seeing the pictures I can say that its not an explosion. Its a part that melts with heat.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
This doesn't surprise me, it can happen to any type of electronic device. Its not unheard of for a component to burn up especially if using an unsupported charging device. (I didn't read the article so I don't know if his device was supported or non supported).

Sure it *could* be dangerous and is very unfortunate but thankfully its a rare occurrence for something to actually burn (and if its not you'll see a recall :p). Usually you just hear a pop or something and one of the devices doesn't work.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
So ths guy was trying to sue over this "explosion"?

That he caused by water damage, followed by microwaving it...

Funny that his post in that 2nd link was edited within the past 24 hours...

:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.