Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cindy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2003
Well, my other half felt sorry for me since my fiasco with the Lombard incident. So, I'm going to buy a new iBook. I don't do anything fancy just emails, internet research etc. No media or anything.
Although I do use my printer with my eMac and I use iPhoto to send pics out to my pc user friends.
Will my printer work on the iBook as well?? It's a Epson Stylus C42UX.
I also have a scanner hooked in with my eMac. I rarely use it. The software is called, Presto Page Manager.
Is there really a huge difference between the 12" 1.2GHz and the 14" 1.33GHz? I see the 12" has a 30GB and the 14 has a 60GB.
But I"d almost rather put the extra $$ into applecare. My emac is having some problems and if I had had applecare, I probably would be looking much better as far as the cash flow goes.
I haven't had great luck with computers over the past few years. My first was an old iMac (blue and white), it died after about 3 years and now my eMac is doing the same thing the imac did -- zapping.
I thought I had the problem fixed by switching electrical sockets. It hadn't zapped in over 3 days and today it zapped :(
The old Lombard was just a bad sell -- I should never have bought that off ebay.
So, it might be a good idea for me to get applecare. opinions..?

P.S. the ibooks come with a standard 256MB -- should I upgrade that to a 512? Or, there's an empty slot, will that hold a 128 to up the machine to 384.?

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
Cindy said:
Well, my other half felt sorry for me since my fiasco with the Lombard incident. So, I'm going to buy a new iBook. I don't do anything fancy just emails, internet research etc. No media or anything.
Although I do use my printer with my eMac and I use iPhoto to send pics out to my pc user friends.
Will my printer work on the iBook as well?? It's a Epson Stylus C42UX.
I also have a scanner hooked in with my eMac. I rarely use it. The software is called, Presto Page Manager.
Is there really a huge difference between the 12" 1.2GHz and the 14" 1.33GHz? I see the 12" has a 30GB and the 14 has a 60GB.
But I"d almost rather put the extra $$ into applecare. My emac is having some problems and if I had had applecare, I probably would be looking much better as far as the cash flow goes.
I haven't had great luck with computers over the past few years. My first was an old iMac (blue and white), it died after about 3 years and now my eMac is doing the same thing the imac did -- zapping.
I thought I had the problem fixed by switching electrical sockets. It hadn't zapped in over 3 days and today it zapped :(
The old Lombard was just a bad sell -- I should never have bought that off ebay.
So, it might be a good idea for me to get applecare. opinions..?

P.S. the ibooks come with a standard 256MB -- should I upgrade that to a 512? Or, there's an empty slot, will that hold a 128 to up the machine to 384.?

If the printer connects via USB, it should still work with your iBook. I'm not sure, because I don't own one, but if it worked with the Lombard, I don't see it not working with the iBook (double negatives, yea!)

I'm not sure about scanners. whenever I have to scan, I just use the HP that is connected to the Windows machine and email them all to myself.

.13 GHz won't be a noticeable difference. The 12" and the 14" have the same resolutions, so the 14" is just bigger looking, you don't actually get any more screen real estate.
I'm pretty sure you can get a bigger one as a BTO option.

I think AppleCare is a definite plus. Just remember to get it within the first year!

As for the zapping, just make sure everything's plugged into surge protectors. I've heard of stuff about having dirty electricity or something of that nature. I have no idea of what it is, or how to fix it, but I've heard of people having computers die because of it.

Good luck with the new iBook. :)

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
You really need to figure out this zapping problem. Computer just don't zap, ever. I have never owned a computer or seen a computer zap. Something must be strange in the wiring in your house. Is the ground improperly wired in the house? What is the voltage and Hz at the outlet? I would really have an electrician look into this.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Personally, I prefer a more compact laptop so I would go w/ the 12" especially because the processor bump isn't that much.

I would definitely BTO and get at least 60 GB HD because the OS and a few other apps will easily eat up 15-20 GB's.

Also I am not "good w/" computers but I was able to get RAM into my PB no problem (granted the iBook is a little bit different because you have to pop off the keyboard; but plenty of MRers and a quick search could lead you to detailled instructions, I'm sure). So I would reccomend buying 3rd party RAM. My PB runs much better w/ 512 MB but if my budget would allow it, I would get more... so definitely put some $ toward upgrading your iBook's RAM.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
ThRiLLeR13 said:
Devilot76...I love your Avatar!!!! Emily is the Sh*t!!
Shanks! I was a bit bummed because it seemed like nobody noticed who she was. :D

~sorry for being OT.

::edit:: Congrats Thriller on your first post!!! You'll love it here. Hee, I know I do.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
skubish said:
You really need to figure out this zapping problem. Computer just don't zap, ever. I have never owned a computer or seen a computer zap. Something must be strange in the wiring in your house. Is the ground improperly wired in the house? What is the voltage and Hz at the outlet? I would really have an electrician look into this.

Cindy - I agree with skubish. As I've posted here before, I've lived in a few different places with bad wiring - a condo building and my first house both had real issues. My PB continously shocked me when it was plugged into a bad outlet in an apt. I lived in as temporary housing on a job relocation.

Your money would be WELL SPENT to call an electrician and have him check your outlets / fix them. Good luck getting that resolved.

Cindy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2003
skubish said:

I called Apple and told them what the computer was doing and they said, "oh yes... that sounds like the flyback transformer is on its way out."
So, that's why I wanted to take it in to the shop. But I wanted to try the surge protector first. The only Mac fix it shop is kind of a rip off. And I don't really trust them :( So, they are my last effort.
The computer doesn't shock me. The screen will "zap" (that's the only way I can explain it) and screen will go black for about an 1/8 of a second or so. I can happen when I first wake it up or a few minutes afterward. Not everyday. Last time it did it was yesterday after 4 days of not. It's very random.
We don't have any problems with anything else in the house. I have no idea what the voltage is at the outlets. Ground wiring -- ???
LIke I said, no other problems with anything else.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Cindy said:
Did I miss something -- why wait til Tues.?

There are strong rumors that the iBook (and Mac mini) will be updated at the beginning of next week. Apple usually announces updates on Tuesdays. The iBook has currently gone longer without and update than at any time before. Here's an article about the rumored updates. If I were in the market for an iBook, I'd definitely wait until next Tuesday before ordering.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
If you can wait, then you might be pleased. Lately Apple has noticed the predictions on forums and have been changing release dates. There is just no way of knowing for sure. You should definitely purchase more memory, get what you can afford. Also would highly recommend AppleCare. It also extends phone support from 90 days to 3 years.

Cindy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2003
Gotcha. In fact I called the Mac shop here in town and the sales guy also told me to wait til next week. He said they are expecting ibooks to come out with updated ones.
So, I'll wait. I'm not good at waiting!! Since the place has ibooks in stock but if I can score on a better one.... it would be dumb to purchase now.

Cindy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2003
ok - well the update is here. Looks like the standard ram went from 256 to 512 and the hard drive went up a bit.
How long for delivery to my door??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.