Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RPhoto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
Surrey, UK
Here's a question for you all.

I've just copied a 12gb folder from my a memory card to the desktop of a Mac Pro, and it took about 15 minutes or so.

I then dragged a different 6gb folder on to the same memory card from the Mac Pro, so I could transfer it to my new MBA.

However, copying that smaller 6gb folder from the card to the MBA is currently giving me an estimated time of 'about an hour'.

Is there any reason obvious reason I'm missing why copying from the card to the Pro took 15 minutes to copy 12gb, but copying from the same card to the MBA is taking an hour for a folder half the size?!

mixman

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2011
The 6GB folder likely has more small files than the 12GB folder, making it slower to transfer.

RPhoto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
Surrey, UK
The 12gig folder was full of D800 raw files, at around 45mb each. The smaller folder contains more files yes, and is zipped.

But that said, copying that smaller folder to the memory card in the first place didn't take long at all so it just feels like a very disproportionate amount of time sending it across to the Air.

Since starting the thread it's half way through and says 40 minutes remaining zzzzzzzzzz

RPhoto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
Surrey, UK
After some more investigation the Air USB ports are definitely slow with USB2 I think. I've tried copying large 6gig files back and forth between memory card and a Mac Pro, my old MBP and the Air.

With the Pro and the MBP it takes about 6 minutes, with the Air, an hour :confused:

katmeef

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2010
After some more investigation the Air USB ports are definitely slow with USB2 I think. I've tried copying large 6gig files back and forth between memory card and a Mac Pro, my old MBP and the Air.

With the Pro and the MBP it takes about 6 minutes, with the Air, an hour :confused:

I have my old SSD in a USB 2.0 enclosure, just checked and I'm able to copy from my 2012 13" air to the drive at 29.8 MBps and 32MBps the other direction. (I believe that's about the same as on my old 09 MBP when I had a HDD in this enclosure).

Maybe the problem you're having is specific to the card reader? Are you using a USB card reader connected directly to the Air?

trondah

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2008
Just got my 2012 MBA, and restoring my 40GB backup with ASR took over an hour. Seems slow to me.

RPhoto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
Surrey, UK
Maybe the problem you're having is specific to the card reader? Are you using a USB card reader connected directly to the Air?
I'm wondering if it might be the card reader. It's an old Sandisk one, although it was a fast reader by USB2 standards. But yes that might be the issue. I'll be out on a shoot tomorrow so in the evening I'll be transferring files back to the Air via a Sony XQD card reader and directly from the D800, both or which are USB3. So the issue isn't going to be too much of a problem generally as I shouldn't need the USB2 card reader in day to day use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.