PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else finding that Magsafe 2 physically disconnects more than Magsafe 1?

Jobsian
Jun 23, 2012, 11:33 AM
A minor point but when I use this on my lap or any non-hard surface it seems to catch more than the first, forcing me to dedicate the magsafe with its own real estate on my lap/couch/cushion :P It's only a tiny bit irritating but I'm sure they'll fix it with Mag 3.

KPOM
Jun 23, 2012, 11:37 AM
Yes, I have noticed this, as well. I think it is more the return of the "T" format than the size of the connector. Perhaps they will retain the MagSafe 2 size, but return to the "L" format they used with the last MacBook Air.

palpatine
Jun 23, 2012, 11:39 AM
Yes. But, so far it is no problem.

Acorn
Jun 23, 2012, 11:45 AM
I like the new adapter. I had the L shape on my other mac and one day it didnt disconnect when it was suppose to ripping the wire out of the actual L shape connector.

entatlrg
Jun 23, 2012, 11:54 AM
I think the return of the "T" format is because it does disconnect more easily compared the "L" format resulting in less laptops ending up on the floor when we trip over the cord. So it's a plus.

GREEN4U
Jun 23, 2012, 12:04 PM
I think the return of the "T" format is because it does disconnect more easily compared the "L" format resulting in less laptops ending up on the floor when we trip over the cord. So it's a plus.

I wish Apple would invent something so that when falling from a distance the Air/Pro would go into Emergency Mode when everything locks up for a split second and braces for impact. Sort of like how their spinning hard drives used to do that.

Adamb10
Jun 23, 2012, 12:20 PM
Yes I have this problem too and it's kind of annoying, I have to handle the computer carefully when plugged in to avoid the cable disconnecting.

urkel
Jun 23, 2012, 12:32 PM
It depends on the direction.

Horizontally: Its wider then the magsafe doesnt disconnect fast enough and can pull the computer down with it which defeats the purpose

Vertically or Diagonal: Its thinner so it disconnects with almost no effort

With Converter: It disconnects at the side near the adapter rather than the side near the computer which is just plain annoying because to manually disconnect I need to grip at the converter and not the actual plug.

I think on all counts then the new MagSafe is inferior. ESPECIALLY for Air owners since we use lighter computers and the old one already fit fine. And to be honest, Im not buying that the new MBPwR couldnt be designed around the old MagSafe since it really isnt that much smaller. I suspect that we'll see the true benefits of a thinner MagSafe in future products like maybe the next iPhone.

RocketRed
Jun 23, 2012, 12:35 PM
I prefer 2011 MBA magsafe charger than this year's iteration. I prefer the L-shaped adapter than the blocky adapter.

Richard Peters
Jun 23, 2012, 12:36 PM
Much prefer the T shape. I always hated the L as it didn't disconnect as easily and I've pulled the laptop a couple of times because of it. The easy to remove L is a welcome return for me!

mattpreston11
Jun 23, 2012, 12:38 PM
Comes out far too easily compared to my 2010.

Also leaning my MBA against a wall (Thunderbolt side on the floor) the magsafe adapter comes out.

Step backwards imo. Not to mention incompatibility with other chargers.

johnd39
Jul 14, 2012, 05:15 AM
Each point of view has merit but I am a careful user and never had a problem with the "L" whereas almost any movement of the "T" disconnects it which is a pain.

I vote for the "L" or a stronger magnet for the "T"

dyn
Jul 14, 2012, 07:30 AM
It depends on the direction.

With the old L it did depend on direction and the amount of force as well as duration. A short yank in a certain direction made it dislodge. In every other direction or yanking it longer, harder or even dragging it did nothing but move the notebook. I can literally drag my 15" MBP (!) around on my desk (the connector stays on that well, you can simply drag around 2.5kg with ease). Only thing I need to do is drag it by its charging cable. That L-connector is most definitely a flawed design. I shouldn't be able to drag my notebook around the table this way, it should dislodge when I do that. Luckily the old and new T-connectors do exactly that. When I yank the cable they also dislodge and thus safe my notebook from falling. I just had too many times where I had to catch my mbp because the connector did not dislodge. Thankfully I have good reflexes. And it's not just my own notebook, I've seen it with all the Macs that use the L-shaped connector.

And to be honest, Im not buying that the new MBPwR couldnt be designed around the old MagSafe since it really isnt that much smaller. I suspect that we'll see the true benefits of a thinner MagSafe in future products like maybe the next iPhone.
I think it is just an excuse. The old L-shaped connector is a flawed design and Apple knew it. There are many stories on the net about damaged Macs because the connector simply did not dislodge at all.

KPOM
Jul 14, 2012, 07:43 AM
I think it is just an excuse. The old L-shaped connector is a flawed design and Apple knew it. There are many stories on the net about damaged Macs because the connector simply did not dislodge at all.

I do wonder if they could have made the MagSafe 2 the same thickness as it is now, but the same width as MagSafe 1, so that a new adapter could be used with an old Mac (as the pin format is exactly the same). Barring that, I also find it a bit strange that they sell a MagSafe 1 to MagSafe 2 adapter but not the reverse, as this necessitates manufacturing two sets of adapters in the future. It is also interesting that they changed to MagSafe 2 in the Air but not the non-Retina Pro, given that otherwise the two lines were unchanged on the outside.

akkkmed
Jul 14, 2012, 08:01 AM
Compared to my MBP, I just noticed this on my new MBA. It's quite annoying. The laptop can't rest against my leg (when it's on my lap) like it could with the L-connector. Quite annoying.

Stetrain
Jul 14, 2012, 10:21 AM
I wish Apple would invent something so that when falling from a distance the Air/Pro would go into Emergency Mode when everything locks up for a split second and braces for impact. Sort of like how their spinning hard drives used to do that.

What would it lock up? With no spinning hard disk there are basically no moving parts except for the fan.

Wokis
Jul 14, 2012, 12:04 PM
Haven't had version 1 so can't compare it to that. But I do find it annoying that as soon as I want to move my laptop the magsafe plug will pop out.

I better accidentally trip over the wire at some point during the laptop's lifetime or else it won't feel worth it :)

mikkker007
Jul 14, 2012, 12:36 PM
OMG! yet again.... Magsafe1- Magsafe2---- Magsafe 4 billion.
seriously?! Who Cares? Apple is! and is currently the only PC ( yes I said it ) with such an awesome design........ Would you rather go back to late 90's design with Dc plug?? 10 yrs from now.... everyone will shake their head at "wired" ANYTHING.........seriously...... for those that complain? MBA or MBP isn't for you... go by a Window's equipped ( I was gonna say "powered" but ) DeLL or Toshiba...dare I say...................'samsung'

vodkaPT
Jul 14, 2012, 07:38 PM
seriously?! Who Cares? Apple is! and is currently the only PC ( yes I said it ) with such an awesome design........ Would you rather go back to late 90's design with Dc plug?? 10 yrs from now.... everyone will shake their head at "wired" ANYTHING.........seriously...... for those that complain? MBA or MBP isn't for you... go by a Window's equipped ( I was gonna say "powered" but ) DeLL or Toshiba...dare I say...................'samsung'

This is a Forum about macs!

We discuss every detail over and over again... It's what we do here!

So I don't get the point of your post, if you think that is a useless topic jump to the next one.

Back on track, one think that I hate on the T is that on L, the wire was coming to the mac by behind, now with the T the cable is on the way of a book, if I put a book in the left side ( I'm left hander), it's a stupid detail but made some difference to me.

But disconnect more easier is a plus, improve safety, no problem with that.

Kirixis
Jul 16, 2012, 01:00 AM
As a couch potato, I hate it. The damn thing catches on the couch pushing it up disconnecting it. The weakest part of the magsafe is the up/down flex from the thinner, longer design. :mad:

M5RahuL
Jul 16, 2012, 01:05 AM

Time for your prozac... :rolleyes:

lannisters4life
Jul 16, 2012, 01:13 AM
Add me to the "this is a good thing" parade. Those L shaped earlier ones looked great, but I felt like you could swing your Macbook around by them. Tripping over power cables is one of my pastimes, this helps my ailment.

calvol
Jul 16, 2012, 02:07 AM
Mag-2 is flawed because I can't lay on my left side and surf the net with it plugged in.

dyn
Jul 16, 2012, 10:49 AM
Lay on your right side...fixed. Hell, you probably even future-proofed yourself!

2IS
Jul 16, 2012, 11:45 AM

And what exactly would you hope to accomplish by doing that on a laptop with SSD?

calvol
Jul 16, 2012, 12:17 PM
A minor point but when I use this on my lap or any non-hard surface it seems to catch more than the first, forcing me to dedicate the magsafe with its own real estate on my lap/couch/cushion :P It's only a tiny bit irritating but I'm sure they'll fix it with Mag 3.

Yeah, it's annoying, sticks out like a sore thumb. If anything, Mag2 should have been designed to come out of the back of the machine, but the way the lid opens it's impossible. I'm sure the designer will get fired just like the antenna-gate engineer did.

snuglet
Jul 1, 2013, 11:31 AM
I finally got tired of the problem and created my own fix. I just launched a Kickstarter campaign to fund the product. It's called the Snuglet and completely solves this annoying issue.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/snuglet/snuglet-keeps-your-macbook-power-cable-connected

travod
Jul 1, 2013, 11:45 AM
When people say "L" shaped, do they mean the one that's long and when plugged in covers up all of the plugs (ethernet or whatever, etc) on my Macbook? I hate it so much.

2IS
Jul 1, 2013, 11:47 AM
When people say "L" shaped, do they mean the one that's long and when plugged in covers up all of the plugs (ethernet or whatever, etc) on my Macbook? I hate it so much.

You know you can flip it so it doesn't do that right?

BTW, this is a 1 year old thread. The second of which, covering the same topic that was brought back to life.

Anyway, I had some extended time with a new rMBP with MagSafe 2, and a user coming from a 2010 with the L shaped connector, I did not have any problems with the newer design. I don't know if the magnet is more powerful now or not, but I was able to move it around while being used on my lap sitting on the couch without a problem. The magnet seems sufficiently strong to me.

travod
Jul 1, 2013, 11:55 AM
You know you can flip it so it doesn't do that right?

BTW, this is a 1 year old thread. The second of which, covering the same topic that was brought back to life.

Anyway, I had some extended time with a new rMBP with MagSafe 2, and a user coming from a 2010 with the L shaped connector, I did not have any problems with the newer design. I don't know if the magnet is more powerful now or not, but I was able to move it around while being used on my lap sitting on the couch without a problem. The magnet seems sufficiently strong to me.

I can, but that would mean plugging it in and the wire having to make a 180 degree turn to go backwards to make it to the outlet, which will eventually cause it to break. I hate the design.

Fifty-one
Jul 1, 2013, 12:40 PM
There is a solution for Magsafe 2 disconnect on a NY Times write up (http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/06/27/dont-forget-the-small-ideas-that-make-a-difference/?_r=0)

2IS
Jul 1, 2013, 12:45 PM
I can, but that would mean plugging it in and the wire having to make a 180 degree turn to go backwards to make it to the outlet, which will eventually cause it to break. I hate the design.

Just make a loop by using that little clip. Won't put any additional stress on the wire, you just lose a couple inches of slack.

The-Pro
Jul 1, 2013, 02:28 PM
Since magsafe 2 is thinner and longer it makes sence it disconnects more because when the wire is moved or you touch the magsafe there is more leverage on a connector that has less stabability because its thinner.
Thay would have to make the magnet stronger for this not to happen

nickandre21
Jul 9, 2013, 12:46 PM
Well no issues for me i just find the magsafe2's T shape a bit annoying i loved the magsafe's L shape could route the cable behind the mac.

Jefe's MacAir
Jul 9, 2013, 05:04 PM
I finally got tired of the problem and created my own fix. I just launched a Kickstarter campaign to fund the product. It's called the Snuglet and completely solves this annoying issue.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/snuglet/snuglet-keeps-your-macbook-power-cable-connected

Backed.

coolaaron88
Jul 9, 2013, 06:49 PM
Backed.

That is awesome. I will be getting one when they are available

calvol
Jul 10, 2013, 03:40 AM
Well no issues for me i just find the magsafe2's T shape a bit annoying i loved the magsafe's L shape could route the cable behind the mac.

+1.... The L-shape looks a lot more elegant flush against the computer, as opposed to the T-shape that looks like a mouse's ear sticking out at a right angle. As usual, Apple over-thought this one and is a step backward! I'm keeping my 2010 Air till Apple changes it back!

n1tut
Jul 10, 2013, 04:17 AM
Apart from coming out too easily, it is the straight across aspect that annoys me, the L shaped reversed was much more convenient for me and also left the USB port clear.

tut