Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thunderfunny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
If I have a ssd 480gb of music samples/plugins/software ,but the (DAW) digital audio workstation is installed on a 120gb ssd would you suggest I should put the samples/plugins inside the 120gb ssd where the (daw) is"which i would need a bigger ssd for that to happen", or would it run the same speed when using the plugins inside the 480gb ssd?what do you suggest and why?And do you guys know of any site forums that can help me with these types of music tech related questions? Hope you understand the questions. (Sorry for my english)

I have a macpro 12core, 32gb, xeon 2.66ghz

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    7.6 KB · Views: 539
  • images-1.jpeg
    images-1.jpeg
    11.8 KB · Views: 494

CFoss

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
First, you might want to post this in the Digital Audio board. People probably will know more what to do there.

Secondly, I believe it is usually recommended that plug-ins, recordings and virtual instruments are installed on a separate drive from Logic. Otherwise, one drive is overwhelmed trying to read and multiple processes. At least, this is my understanding. I know you're definitely supposed to have a separate drive for recording anyway.

With two SSDs, you're going to be more than fine though. Only the most demanding/unoptimized of systems really require SSD for samples (example, EastWest QuantumLeap Hollywood Strings comes to mind). That, and certain SSDs might be slow for writing, but apart from recording audio, that really isn't an issue.

thunderfunny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
agree

First, you might want to post this in the Digital Audio board. People probably will know more what to do there.

Secondly, I believe it is usually recommended that plug-ins, recordings and virtual instruments are installed on a separate drive from Logic. Otherwise, one drive is overwhelmed trying to read and multiple processes. At least, this is my understanding. I know you're definitely supposed to have a separate drive for recording anyway.

With two SSDs, you're going to be more than fine though. Only the most demanding/unoptimized of systems really require SSD for samples (example, EastWest QuantumLeap Hollywood Strings comes to mind). That, and certain SSDs might be slow for writing, but apart from recording audio, that really isn't an issue.

I agree. I'm probably getting the 956gb OWC Mercury Accelsior PCIe SSD for all my DAW's and 2x3g 480gb ssd for the hollywood strings and other large software plugins that I have. I don't have a big audio board because I mainly do electric dance music. But i do have digi 003 rack for some vocals and some instruments. Thanks and ill keep doing some research on this topic...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-06-24 at 11.16.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-06-24 at 11.16.29 AM.png
    44.7 KB · Views: 72
  • Screen Shot 2012-06-24 at 11.18.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-06-24 at 11.18.18 AM.png
    97.9 KB · Views: 74
  • Screen Shot 2012-06-24 at 11.18.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-06-24 at 11.18.35 AM.png
    59.6 KB · Views: 383
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.