Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kidwithdimples

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
I use Carbon Copy Cloner with exHDD for my MBP. It's annoying to have it attached. Is it possible to attach that exHDD to my Windows 7 machine and redirect CCC to back it up on the exHDD via Windows 7? I can already access files on my Windows 7 from MBP and vice versa.

My router doesn't have a USB port. And Windows 7 doesn't show my exHDD when I plug it in. Is it because it's Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) format? I went to Computer > Devices and it's working fine but just doesn't show in My Computer.

rwwest7

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2011
Why do you not use Time Machine? That plus an ext HDD is the greatest thing ever. You just plug in the HDD, it does a back up in the background automatically, when the arrow stops spinning you can eject. It will queue the data for the next backup until you plug it in again and then dump once you do.

It's amazing how easy it is. Just plug in...grab some coffee....eject. It will backup whatever is in the queue whenever it sees the ext HDD.

kidwithdimples

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Why do you not use Time Machine? That plus an ext HDD is the greatest thing ever. You just plug in the HDD, it does a back up in the background automatically, when the arrow stops spinning you can eject. It will queue the data for the next backup until you plug it in again and then dump once you do.

It's amazing how easy it is. Just plug in...grab some coffee....eject. It will backup whatever is in the queue whenever it sees the ext HDD.
I know but I am a lazy bum and I know I will not do that, lol

even my CCC keeps on reminding me about the next backup and I keep hitting postpone. I just want to have it plugged in to the desktop.

rwwest7

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2011
Keep in mind that having an external drive plugged in and spinning 24/7 will dramatically reduce its life. If you just plug it in when you need it, eject it when you're done and put it back on the shelf it will last a lot longer.

IMO, putting all this time into researching and getting it to save to a Windows share is a lot more work than just using Time Machine plus the external.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.