Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
OK, not original Quake, but TenebraeQuake and DarkPlaces with high-res models plus enhanced lighting.

It's just stupid, though. They may have upgraded lighting, better textures... but they pale in comparison to Quake 4 or Doom 3 - yet every tie there's a scene with a lot of flares or coronas/fancy lighting, the FPS drops to the single digits.

Why?

I blame poor/quick coding. Clearly they aren't remotely optimised for PPC Macs. Compare that to CorePlayer, which plays 6mbit+ 1080 H264 video files fine. Yet it slows to LESS THAN 1 frame/sec in any lighting-intense enhanced-Quake scenes, and then two seconds later jumps back to 250 frames/sec when there aren't fancy explosions/lighting effects being rendered. Yet my GPU can certainly handle that and far beyond without breaking a sweat, therefore I must blame quick and cheap coding.

Yeah, I get that the PPC is a "dead" platform, but really, whatever happened to programmers taking pride in their work? Hell, CorePayer hasn't been updated in half a decade, yet is probably the most technically refined, efficient, and bang-for-buck piece of code I've ever used. Seriously. It uses half the CPU power of VLC - and then performs BETTER.

<3 the G5.

----------

Also - my system is far from low end - maxed out RAM, dual 1.8 G5 CPUs, and an ATI Fire GL X3 that currently scores higher in OpenMark than any other PPC Mac on Macrumors :)

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
OK, not original Quake, but TenebraeQuake and DarkPlaces with high-res models plus enhanced lighting.

It's just stupid, though. They may have upgraded lighting, better textures... but they pale in comparison to Quake 4 or Doom 3 - yet every tie there's a scene with a lot of flares or coronas/fancy lighting, the FPS drops to the single digits.

Why?

I blame poor/quick coding. Clearly they aren't remotely optimised for PPC Macs. Compare that to CorePlayer, which plays 6mbit+ 1080 H264 video files fine. Yet it slows to LESS THAN 1 frame/sec in any lighting-intense enhanced-Quake scenes, and then two seconds later jumps back to 250 frames/sec when there aren't fancy explosions/lighting effects being rendered. Yet my GPU can certainly handle that and far beyond without breaking a sweat, therefore I must blame quick and cheap coding.

Yeah, I get that the PPC is a "dead" platform, but really, whatever happened to programmers taking pride in their work? Hell, CorePayer hasn't been updated in half a decade, yet is probably the most technically refined, efficient, and bang-for-buck piece of code I've ever used. Seriously. It uses half the CPU power of VLC - and then performs BETTER.

<3 the G5.

----------

Also - my system is far from low end - maxed out RAM, dual 1.8 G5 CPUs, and an ATI Fire GL X3 that currently scores higher in OpenMark than any other PPC Mac on Macrumors :)
Sorry, but dual 1.8 is low end. And the ATI Fire is not a gaming card by any means. Its not secret the Fire is a workstation card much like the Quadro series from nVidia. I don't disagree that poor coding has a lot to do with poor performance, but you can't expect too much in gaming performance from the setup you've got.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.