PDA

View Full Version : HD 4000 Finder "Glitches"

iStrat
Jun 24, 2012, 01:15 PM
So, I went to the Apple Store yesterday to check out the new Retina MBP. It was very cool. While I was there, I also took a look at the new Airs and 13" MBP, which I was possibly interested in buying at some point in the next year. I immediately noticed that on all the machines that relied exclusively on the integrated HD 4000 graphics processor, there were graphical glitches/errors present when switching spaces using a 3-finger swipe in Finder. It was as if it couldn't properly handle the animation. It's hard to describe, but it was plainly obvious. I tried it on the 11" Air, the 13" Air, and the 13" MBP, and they all had the exact same problem. The 15" MBP and the rMBP did not have the issue at all. My 2008 13" Aluminum Macbook does not have the problem, nor does my 2007 Aluminum iMac. I hope it's possible that the issue can/will be fixed via a software update.

I searched online and couldn't find any other reports of the problem, which I found very surprising. Has anyone else noticed this? I wouldn't buy a computer with this problem because it would definitely bug me.

mattopotamus
Jun 24, 2012, 01:25 PM
So, I went to the Apple Store yesterday to check out the new Retina MBP. It was very cool. While I was there, I also took a look at the new Airs and 13" MBP, which I was possibly interested in buying at some point in the next year. I immediately noticed that on all the machines that relied exclusively on the integrated HD 4000 graphics processor, there were graphical glitches/errors present when switching spaces using a 3-finger swipe in Finder. It was as if it couldn't properly handle the animation. It's hard to describe, but it was plainly obvious. I tried it on the 11" Air, the 13" Air, and the 13" MBP, and they all had the exact same problem. The 15" MBP and the rMBP did not have the issue at all. My 2008 13" Aluminum Macbook does not have the problem, nor does my 2007 Aluminum iMac. I hope it's possible that the issue can/will be fixed via a software update.

I searched online and couldn't find any other reports of the problem, which I found very surprising. Has anyone else noticed this? I wouldn't buy a computer with this problem because it would definitely bug me.

it could have something to do with the software that is installed on the display models. I haven't seen anyone post that problem

jkun
Jun 24, 2012, 01:32 PM
To the OP: I'm pretty sure the 15" and 15" rMBP are going to be using the Integrated HD4000 for simple tasks like that... Doesn't the dedicated NVidia graphics only turn on for more grueling tasks?

I doubt it's the HD4000's fault.

iStrat
Jun 24, 2012, 01:47 PM
To the OP: I'm pretty sure the 15" and 15" rMBP are going to be using the Integrated HD4000 for simple tasks like that... Doesn't the dedicated NVidia graphics only turn on for more grueling tasks?

That's what I originally thought too. The evidence suggests otherwise. I was quite surprised. I looked at 5 or 6 different Macs, and the pattern seemed clear. It seems like the OS was using the NVIDIA on the 15" models. Maybe because it was plugged in? Maybe if it's on battery power, it's more likely to use the integrated graphics? If I go back, maybe I'll try disconnecting the power on one of the 15" models to see if it then shows the errors.

mikeray
Jun 25, 2012, 06:01 PM
That's what I originally thought too. The evidence suggests otherwise. I was quite surprised. I looked at 5 or 6 different Macs, and the pattern seemed clear. It seems like the OS was using the NVIDIA on the 15" models. Maybe because it was plugged in? Maybe if it's on battery power, it's more likely to use the integrated graphics? If I go back, maybe I'll try disconnecting the power on one of the 15" models to see if it then shows the errors.

How do you know for sure what video card the rMBPs were using? Did you run a test?

Saturn1217
Jun 25, 2012, 10:43 PM
I actually noticed this exact same thing after going to an apple store recently to check out the new macbook airs. Every machine I tried had a weird graphical glitch (that definitely does NOT occur on my old 2009 MBP) when switching between desktops.

I actually asked one of the apple employees about it. She immediately understood what I was talking about when I mentioned it (which means neither I nor the OP are crazy). Her explanation was that it was the software they put on the machines (you know the little semi-transparent window that is always open on the display units). Basically my guess is this software is not updated for use with the HD4000 graphics.

But yes I do suspect that apple needs to refine the graphics drivers for the new intel integrated graphics (apparently some incompatibility makes these machines grind to a halt with chrome in rare cases as well). I'll be waiting until I see a few graphics updates before I buy.

PBG4 Dude
Jun 25, 2012, 10:53 PM
I have no problems swiping between spaces on my new 11" MBA. Works like a charm and is one of my favorite features of Lion.

iStrat
Jun 26, 2012, 08:46 AM
That's great to hear. Thanks for the info, "Saturn1217" and "PBG4 Dude".