Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Altimax98

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Lakeland Fl
Apple did a great thing with do not disturb, but there is a major flaw. While it blacklists all apps for the set time that it is active, there are no options to whitelist certain apps/activities.

For instance, i use the autotimer setting to enable it at night so emails dont turn the screen on, but I have a few weather apps and a NOAA app that sends me alerts for severe weather in my location, I would like to be able to allow certain apps through the 'firewall' that I need to still get notifications for. I know it's a beta and I hope apple adds this functionality into the OS.

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Apple did a great thing with do not disturb, but there is a major flaw. While it blacklists all apps for the set time that it is active, there are no options to whitelist certain apps/activities.

For instance, i use the autotimer setting to enable it at night so emails dont turn the screen on, but I have a few weather apps and a NOAA app that sends me alerts for severe weather in my location, I would like to be able to allow certain apps through the 'firewall' that I need to still get notifications for. I know it's a beta and I hope apple adds this functionality into the OS.

As you said, it's a beta. It makes sense to at least allow Emergency alerts through. I suspect you will be given a choice in the GM version.

jeremyshaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2011
As you said, it's a beta. It makes sense to at least allow Emergency alerts through. I suspect you will be given a choice in the GM version.

I know there was a post not too long ago, with Verizon phones getting a toggle for some sort of gov't notifications in the notification center. Could be related, in some way.

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
I know there was a post not too long ago, with Verizon phones getting a toggle for some sort of gov't notifications in the notification center. Could be related, in some way.

Right, I knew about the alerts, but will Apple let them through? I guess we will see. It's very early to judge.

Altimax98

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Lakeland Fl

Government alerts are good and all, but I hope they allow us to allow our own choice of apps through.. Jailbreak will have it for sure though lol

amarcus

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
London, UK
My understanding is that notifications are silenced but still received i.e. pulling down the notification pane in the morning will show you your severe weather alerts... problem solved?

Adam

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
My understanding is that notifications are silenced but still received i.e. pulling down the notification pane in the morning will show you your severe weather alerts... problem solved?

Adam

I think the point was for important notifications to get through, or alert the user. I would like a severe storm or tornado warning getting through. It would be nice for Apple to allow those, and they might be the time it is released.

amarcus

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
London, UK
I think the point was for important notifications to get through, or alert the user.

Point taken. Definitely put forward a feature request with Apple. I wouldn't consider this a major flaw though. Although I do think it's important for some kind of emergency notification system. Relying on third party apps might not be the best solution - wouldn't it be great if Apple tied this into iOS at the system level?

Adam

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Point taken. Definitely put forward a feature request with Apple. I wouldn't consider this a major flaw though. Although I do think it's important for some kind of emergency notification system. Relying on third party apps might not be the best solution - wouldn't it be great if Apple tied this into iOS at the system level?

Adam
They do with the Government Alerts, and Amber Alerts settings. The only thing is would severe weather fall under Governemnt alerts? We will see I guess. I do agree it is not a major flaw until it is released :rolleyes:

Altimax98

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Lakeland Fl
They do with the Government Alerts, and Amber Alerts settings. The only thing is would severe weather fall under Governemnt alerts? We will see I guess. I do agree it is not a major flaw until it is released :rolleyes:

I think third party apps can be much more dependable then a government based one IMO. A lot of us use local weather apps to track severe weather. I'm I'm the Tampa area and my WFLA channel 8 app has been going off well before a NOAA approved app or weatherbug/weather channel....... (I've been in rolling tornado warnings since 10am)

I only mention it as a major flaw because they included the ability to allow contacts through but no mention of selected apps or alerts. They could still revise it to work this way, but right now the shell doesn't appear to be there.

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
I think third party apps can be much more dependable then a government based one IMO. A lot of us use local weather apps to track severe weather. I'm I'm the Tampa area and my WFLA channel 8 app has been going off well before a NOAA approved app or weatherbug/weather channel....... (I've been in rolling tornado warnings since 10am)

I only mention it as a major flaw because they included the ability to allow contacts through but no mention of selected apps or alerts. They could still revise it to work this way, but right now the shell doesn't appear to be there.

That's a good point. Either way I think Apple will allow certain user defined events through at the vary least for Emergency events where lives could be saved. I would make a feature request if it does not show up in the later builds.

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
Weather alerts are important. Not everyone can hear the tornado siren going off when they are asleep in their homes, I know I can't in my house. Definitely send this up to Apple as a suggestion. If Apple somehow doesn't implement this right away, you could either not use the feature, or get a NOAA weather radio.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.