PDA

View Full Version : Did Apple Change the 2012 MBAir SSD Connector on purpose?

Satnam1989
Jun 24, 2012, 03:17 PM
Does anyone think Apple changed the MBAir SSD connector on the 2012 on purpose to prevent us 2010 and MAINLY 2011 users from buying the MBAir 2012 SSD's second hand and upgrading our SSD's in the near future? I am starting to think that....bc otherwise we would have been able to upgrade to as much as 512GB SSD...which I find insanely priced at OWC and that too is only 480GB...loss of total 32GB...as well as priced at insanely high $759-$795

KPOM
Jun 24, 2012, 03:26 PM
Only Apple knows for sure, but perhaps they did so in order to thwart third party manufacturers, at least for a little while. They probably don't want people buying the 64GB model and putting in their own 512GB SSD, and likewise with the Retina MacBook Pro don't want people buying the $2199 base model and modding it themselves. Apple makes some very good margins on NAND.

That said, the boost from 3Gbps to 6Gbps with the current version would be enough to stop some people from doing as you suggest, even if you could.

jeremyshaw
Jun 24, 2012, 03:35 PM
No, they changed it by accident.

Honestly, I think they care less about the aftermarket groups (which will catch up almost immediately) then we like to think. Most likely, there were good technical reason(s) behind it. If they REALLY wanted to screw you, they'd solder the damn thing to the board.

kyjaotkb
Jun 24, 2012, 03:38 PM
is only 480GB...loss of total 32GB...as well as priced at insanely high $759-$795

OWC SSDs are 512GB models with 7% redundancy/over provisioning - used to make your sad last longer, go faster and take less stress. I'm wondering btw if you get the same benefits if you reformat an Apple SSD with 7% over provisioning. But I wonder if you can reformat (they come preformatted) an OWC blade SSD to 512GB by removing the over provisioning portion..

glen e
Jun 24, 2012, 03:44 PM
I love these conspiricy theory threads.....

http://www.macworld.com/article/1167220/magsafe_2_featured_in_apples_latest_laptops.html

Satnam1989
Jun 24, 2012, 04:53 PM
well they cared or not as for "aftermarket" parts people catching up...hasnt happened yet...all I see is OWC whose done it and that too charges up the ass for an SSD for the MBAir...$800...almost...might as well go buy a new MBAir from apple for that much more at least you will get everything n not just the SSD.

I'm sure if there were more manufacturers of MBAir aftermarket SSD's we would be able to obtain one for cheaper. Like one of you said people would go buy a 64GB model and upgrade...I sure would...bc sooner or later there will be plenty of parts people selling the original SSD's from higher models of MBAir that got scrapped.

kodeman53
Jun 24, 2012, 05:06 PM
Does anyone think Apple changed the MBAir SSD connector on the 2012 on purpose to prevent us 2010 and MAINLY 2011 users from buying the MBAir 2012 SSD's second hand and upgrading our SSD's in the near future?

I don't, but then I seldom think about things I can't change plus I'm not a member of the Black Helicopter Club.

Stetrain
Jun 24, 2012, 06:21 PM
They probably went with the minimum number of pins on the first connector to get the job done. At some point they decided that they needed to increase that to do what they wanted to do (higher speeds? more status information?) so they added them.

I really don't see why they would do it to spite people.

Alleged
Jun 24, 2012, 07:40 PM
I love a good conspiracy too!

http://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/tin-foil-hat.jpg

Satnam1989
Jun 24, 2012, 07:56 PM
They probably went with the minimum number of pins on the first connector to get the job done. At some point they decided that they needed to increase that to do what they wanted to do (higher speeds? more status information?) so they added them.

I really don't see why they would do it to spite people.

its not jus the pins that increased on the SSD it self...but the connector on the MBAir main board also changed slightly....enough so we can't ever go above 256GB....unless spending $750+ @ OWC...

btw anyone know of any other company selling MBAir SSD's larger than 256GB besides OWC?

Stetrain
Jun 24, 2012, 08:03 PM
its not jus the pins that increased on the SSD it self...but the connector on the MBAir main board also changed slightly....enough so we can't ever go above 256GB....unless spending $750+ @ OWC...

btw anyone know of any other company selling MBAir SSD's larger than 256GB besides OWC?

Why would they keep the connector the same if the number of pins changed? That would let you physically plug in an SSD that your Air didn't actually have the connections to support.

BlueOcean
Jun 25, 2012, 12:05 PM
No, they changed it by accident.

Honestly, I think they care less about the aftermarket groups (which will catch up almost immediately) then we like to think. Most likely, there were good technical reason(s) behind it. If they REALLY wanted to screw you, they'd solder the damn thing to the board.

This.

I'd say Apple's philosophy has always been to improve the product, and if they have to drop support for something or change something to improve a product in the longer term then they'll go ahead and do it right away. They don't seem to be as hesitant to make drastic changes as almost all other tech companies, for better or worse depending on your inclination.

Bigmacduck
Jun 25, 2012, 05:22 PM
Absolutely! They needed to please me as a shareholder by fending off OWC and some other plug compatibles for a few months.

With the gain from the increase in Apple share price I can easily finance the 2013 RMBA and the 2014, 2015, 2016,....

Satnam1989
Jun 25, 2012, 05:23 PM
Absolutely! They needed to please me as a shareholder by fending off OWC and some other plug compatibles for a few months.

With the gain from the increase in Apple share price I can easily finance the 2013 RMBA and the 2014, 2015, 2016,....

I think ur causing it to drop down.....thats why its down $11 today...lol