PDA

View Full Version : HELP! New MacBook Air Damaged out of the box

skuid87
Jun 24, 2012, 03:43 PM
:(

After waiting anxiously for my new 2012 MacBook Air and tracking the shipment everyday, it finally arrived. I was so excited, took it right to my room and proceeded to carefully unbox my lovely new machine.

I take it out of the box, gently take off the plastic, and lift the screen with one finger. I then switched it on, as my finger lifted after pressing the power button, i saw it. A tiny dent, in my brand new, freshly built from the factory MacBook, that I've just paid over £1000 for! I'm SO disappointed.

Now, it really is tiny, but the fact is that I've paid for a Premium product. It should be perfect. Most people probably wouldn't care but it really does bother me. I've been looking forward to getting a MBA for a long time and I don't think I should have to make do with ANY faults, not matter how small.

I'm going to take it to the Apple Store tomorrow, but I'm worried about what they'll say. What if they blame me for it? How do I prove that it was like this out the box? Anyone else here had a similar problem? How did Apple deal with you?

Here's a picture, you can see the dent just above the thunderbolt port:
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a248/SkuiD87/IMG_2559.jpg

GGJstudios
Jun 24, 2012, 03:46 PM
HELP! New MacBook Air Damaged out of the box
Call Apple and send it back. They'll take care of it.

maflynn
Jun 24, 2012, 03:47 PM
Take it back, no reason you should accept such a defect when it wasn't your fault. I know it bites, but that is really your only option

firstapple
Jun 24, 2012, 03:55 PM
Just take it back and tell them your story. My best guess is they will just return it and give you a new one (assuming its in stock)

skuid87
Jun 24, 2012, 03:58 PM
Just take it back and tell them your story. My best guess is they will just return it and give you a new one (assuming its in stock)

Well, that's one of the things I'm worried about. If they do agree to replace it, I'll have to wait another couple weeks as this is not a stock model. It has the upgraded RAM which means that another order will have to placed by them and I'll have to wait a while before a new one comes.

Unless they let me keep this one and exchange with the new one when it arrives..?

RocketRed
Jun 24, 2012, 04:00 PM
Well, that's one of the things I'm worried about. If they do agree to replace it, I'll have to wait another couple weeks as this is not a stock model. It has the upgraded RAM which means that another order will have to placed by them and I'll have to wait a while before a new one comes.

Unless they let me keep this one and exchange with the new one when it arrives..?

you could order another one, and then return the dented one to get a full refund. You have 14 days to do this.

skuid87
Jun 24, 2012, 04:02 PM
you could order another one, and then return the dented one to get a full refund. You have 14 days to do this.

Hmm... that's true. Can't believe I didn't think of that.

But would they charge me the shipping costs for the refund? How does this work? Would they arrange/pay for a courier to pick it up?

firstapple
Jun 24, 2012, 04:07 PM
Would be best to take it to an apple store. Just ask them what the best route to take would be. They know what they're doing, it's what they're good at.

jgo78
Jun 24, 2012, 04:23 PM

But would they charge me the shipping costs for the refund? How does this work? Would they arrange/pay for a courier to pick it up?

i did this when i had problems with my iMac. they'll charge you full price for a second one but when you return the defective one you get your money back so there's no loss at all. They pay for the shipping, they'll send you labels to attach to the box then you can just drop it off at any drop off location.

BNHabs
Jun 24, 2012, 04:23 PM
Honestly, I will just keep it.

These are manufactured, not individually made by hand.

Your next Macbook Air will have another small 'flaw'. If it's not a dent, it'll be a mark, key scratched etc

skuid87
Jun 24, 2012, 04:37 PM

Your next Macbook Air will have another small 'flaw'. If it's not a dent, it'll be a mark, key scratched etc

I have considered that. And I know it's tiny. But it really does bother me. Might seem petty but the way I see it, £1000 is ALOT of money for me. I don't think it's unreasonable for me to expect a perfect product.

BNHabs
Jun 24, 2012, 04:42 PM
I have considered that. And I know it's tiny. But it really does bother me. Might seem petty but the way I see it, £1000 is ALOT of money for me. I don't think it's unreasonable for me to expect a perfect product.

I understand.

When you get it replaced, note that you are more then likely to get a new one that has another small flaw. Might be a lot less evident though

rygamble
Jun 24, 2012, 04:48 PM
You should see what SSD and screen it has. If it has both Samsung, definitely best to keep it.

skuid87
Jun 24, 2012, 05:09 PM
You should see what SSD and screen it has. If it has both Samsung, definitely best to keep it.

Why's that then? :confused:

Zzari
Jun 24, 2012, 05:30 PM

The Samsung SSD is slightly faster than the Toshiba SSD and the Samsung screen is generally preferred over the LG screen. If you got a Samsung SSD and Samsung screen, you're lucky. If you exchange it you might get a worse screen and/or SSD.

skuid87
Jun 24, 2012, 05:32 PM
The Samsung SSD is slightly faster than the Toshiba SSD and the Samsung screen is generally preferred over the LG screen. If you got a Samsung SSD and Samsung screen, you're lucky. If you exchange it you might get a worse screen and/or SSD.

Is this conclusive or just speculative?

Also, how do I check?

JBST
Jun 24, 2012, 05:34 PM

very tough choice... I completely agree that by paying the premium you are completely entitled to expect a perfect product without marks or stretch etc. but on the other hand there is the time factor and hassle. Made me wonder what would I do if I were in your situation.

I probably would sit on it for a few days and to does that still bothers me. If yes, I will return it.

I think he meant you should kept it IF the screen and SSD are both samsung. As some people believe that the samsung screen and SSD are superior (or more comfortable) than the LG screen and Toshiba ssd. In case you swapped your Samsung+Samsung to LG+Toshiba.

Also, how do I check?

In terms of the SSD, samsung has a better write speed compared to toshiba, that is a fact. In terms of the screen, rather than speculative, it is rather more SUBJECTIVE. It seems that some people are ok with the LG screen and some just cannot bear it.

OK campers - we are back to this...Just got my new 2012 Macbook Air 11" i7 256GB SSD/8GB RAM

I knew immediately that the LCD was a bit flat (or less contrast) as well as some blacks appeared more blue. After checking, I found that my new 2012 Macbook Air has a LG screen. I compared it to my Mid-2011 Macbook Air i7 (which has a Samsung LCD) and the 2011 had more contrast, etc.

Not that the LG screens are bad or anything, it is I am just use to the Samsung screen I have in my 2011 and do not want to go through the calibrations. Personal choice, Just like the Samsung better.

You can see what your LCD manufacturer is by doing the following:

Launch the Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/)
Copy and paste the following command onto a single line and hit return:

ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

Read the output, you are looking for an “LP” prefix to numbers reported back:
LP133WP1-TJA3
Color LCD

If the prefix is not “LP” then you have a Samsung display and there’s no need to use the color profile or to follow the rest of the instructions, if it does start with LP (like the example shown), then proceed

GREEN4U
Jun 24, 2012, 05:36 PM
I would buy the laptop from the store next time, not online. I've had bad experiences online - they 2 out of 3 times they've shipped me a lemon and when I worked at the Apple Store, I saw a lot of BTOs come back - which we couldn't return at the time. Talk about pissing your customers off. Plus, when you buy in the store you can immediately open it and inspect it.

Zzari
Jun 24, 2012, 05:36 PM

Also, how do I check?

The SSD is conclusive - benchmarks show higher speeds with the Samsung. As for the screen, most (read: almost everyone) would prefer the Samsung panel to the LG panel. The Samsung has better color reproduction and brightness, but the LG has arguably better contrast (once a good calibration profile is loaded).

To check the SSD you can do the following: Open the disk utility application (in applications > utilities > disk utility). Your drive should be labeled as a 128GB [Insert Model # Here]. If the model # begins with SM, your drive is a Samsung. If it doesn't begin with SM, it's a Toshiba.

As for the screen, open the terminal (applications > utilities > terminal). Copy and paste the following, then hit return(enter):

ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

If the model it spits back out at you begins with "LP," you have a LG screen. If it doesn't begin with LP, you have the Samsung.

skuid87
Jun 24, 2012, 05:39 PM
I would buy the laptop from the store next time, not online. I've had bad experiences online - they 2 out of 3 times they've shipped me a lemon and when I worked at the Apple Store, I saw a lot of BTOs come back - which we couldn't return at the time. Talk about pissing your customers off. Plus, when you buy in the store you can immediately open it and inspect it.

I would have preferred to buy in store but they just don't stock the one I wanted. I wen't for 13" Base spec with upgraded RAM. I checked at a few stores and they all said I had to order online.

Do you know if I can refund an online order at an Apple Store? Or will it have to couriered back to the Online store?

glen e
Jun 24, 2012, 05:43 PM
Any store can work with online stuff......every I phone, pad and mba for 5 years ordered online, not a single problem yet...

Zzari
Jun 24, 2012, 05:43 PM
I would have preferred to buy in store but they just don't stock the one I wanted. I wen't for 13" Base spec with upgraded RAM. I checked at a few stores and they all said I had to order online.

Do you know if I can refund an online order at an Apple Store? Or will it have to couriered back to the Online store?

You can return an online order in the store.

Dangerous Theory
Jun 24, 2012, 06:57 PM
If you did order another first and wait longer, your story may be less convincing. Personally I would keep it though.

dgnr8
Jun 24, 2012, 09:21 PM
I ordered a refurb Macbook Air last week and it came with a light scratch. I called in and not only did they send a replacement but they gave me the $105 Knomo bag for free as well. Just call, they are very helpful. Don't got to the store, even the guy on the phone told me it would be a waste of time. He called and they told him that they couldn't help me.

palpatine
Jun 24, 2012, 09:43 PM
It is not a flaw. It is not an imperfection. It is damaged. I plan to resell mine next year, and something like that would knock 5% or more off the value. Unacceptable. Mine would go back immediately.

TheRealDamager
Jun 24, 2012, 10:58 PM
Do what you feel is right, but that is the tiniest, almost imperceptible dent. I would take pride in it as my way to identifying my machine.

----------

It is not a flaw. It is not an imperfection. It is damaged. I plan to resell mine next year, and something like that would knock 5% or more off the value. Unacceptable. Mine would go back immediately.

I highly question a 5% hit on value based on that. Only for the OCD customer.

chanyitian
Jun 24, 2012, 11:32 PM

After waiting anxiously for my new 2012 MacBook Air and tracking the shipment everyday, it finally arrived. I was so excited, took it right to my room and proceeded to carefully unbox my lovely new machine.

I take it out of the box, gently take off the plastic, and lift the screen with one finger. I then switched it on, as my finger lifted after pressing the power button, i saw it. A tiny dent, in my brand new, freshly built from the factory MacBook, that I've just paid over £1000 for! I'm SO disappointed.

Now, it really is tiny, but the fact is that I've paid for a Premium product. It should be perfect. Most people probably wouldn't care but it really does bother me. I've been looking forward to getting a MBA for a long time and I don't think I should have to make do with ANY faults, not matter how small.

I'm going to take it to the Apple Store tomorrow, but I'm worried about what they'll say. What if they blame me for it? How do I prove that it was like this out the box? Anyone else here had a similar problem? How did Apple deal with you?

Image (http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a248/SkuiD87/IMG_2559.jpg)

I understand your frustration. I have ordered a 2012 macbook air too. We have paid >1000 $ and flaws should not be accepted because we expect perfection. You should call Apple and have them replace it as its not your fault. good luck!

palpatine
Jun 25, 2012, 05:55 AM
Do what you feel is right, but that is the tiniest, almost imperceptible dent. I would take pride in it as my way to identifying my machine.

----------

I highly question a 5% hit on value based on that. Only for the OCD customer.

The MBA is 1,000. I would mark it down about 50, because I cannot compete with people who have mint condition Macs on the market. I know, because I list my computers about 50 or so above people with scratches and dents on their stuff, and my computers sell. Believe me, if you can write "Looks brand new without a single dent, scratch, or blemish" on your ad, it means a lot, because buyers know that you treated it well. A dent on the outside indicates rough handling. It isn't OCD. Smart consumers look for these kinds of things.

Maybe you could get more out of your computer. You are a better salesman than me.

skuid87
Jun 25, 2012, 07:15 AM
Thanks for all your suggestions guys.

I just got off the phone with Apple. They were very understanding.
They have already arranged a replacement to be shipped with High priority. I'm told I will have it by the end of this week latest.

They will also arrange for a courier to pick up my old MacBook and said that I could choose when to send the old one back. So I can make sure I'm not without a Mac at any time.

I also asked her what would happen if the replacement Mac had any defects. She said that am entitled to a Perfect mac and if they will replace any defective mac no matter how many times it takes.

Lets just hope the next one is perfect out of the box!

Smartie
Jun 25, 2012, 07:21 AM

They have already arranged a replacement to be shipped with High priority. I'm told I will have it by the end of this week latest.

They will also arrange for a courier to pick up my old MacBook and said that I could choose when to send the old one back. So I can make sure I'm not without a Mac at any time.

I also asked her what would happen if the replacement Mac had any defects. She said that am entitled to a Perfect mac and if they will replace any defective mac no matter how many times it takes.

I'm happy for you. That is good service from Apple, being allowed to keep the dented machine for transfer of data and then ship it back. :)

JBST
Jun 25, 2012, 08:46 AM

Glad to here that your case has resolved and good to know that apple let you keep the current machine till you get the replacement. Thanks for sharing your experience.

chanyitian
Jun 25, 2012, 10:30 AM

If you order another one and then later ask for the refund, you are putting yourself at risk. What if Apple really denied the refund? I think that the wise action is to return it asap so that Apple will take it seriously.

skuid87
Jun 25, 2012, 10:36 AM
If you order another one and then later ask for the refund, you are putting yourself at risk. What if Apple really denied the refund? I think that the wise action is to return it asap so that Apple will take it seriously.

Agreed. This would only have been as a last resort in case Apple were going to be difficult about a replacement.

Turns out they were very understanding so it won't be necessary.

skuid87
Jul 2, 2012, 07:59 PM
Well...

My new MacBook Air arrived today. Good news is that this one was fine out the box. It even has a Samsung screen.

Bad news is that the SSD is Toshiba.

I'd love to have the best of both worlds, but whats the likelihood of ever getting a Samsung screen AND a Samsung SSD?

glen e
Jul 2, 2012, 08:05 PM
I can't believe how many people buy into the fact that the SSD and screen have to be a certain type......or their experience will be terrible leading to loss of sleep...

WRP
Jul 2, 2012, 08:26 PM

Not to be mean or the voice of reason or anything, but if 1K is A LOT of money for you, why do you have a desktop, laptop, new ipad and iphone?

tERS09
Jul 3, 2012, 05:18 AM
I think if i were in your position i would be getting a replacement. An imperfection like this would annoy me and ultimately hurt resale value.

Barrierfreeman
Jul 3, 2012, 05:42 AM
Well...

My new MacBook Air arrived today. Good news is that this one was fine out the box. It even has a Samsung screen.

I'd love to have the best of both worlds, but whats the likelihood of ever getting a Samsung screen AND a Samsung SSD?

Christ on a bike...just use the damn thing.

lannisters4life
Jul 3, 2012, 05:50 AM
Well...

Looking at the whiners in the other MBA thread, most if not all 128GB drives are Toshiba, and the larger ones are Samsung, but seriously, it's not something you'll notice.

kodeman53
Jul 3, 2012, 06:18 AM
Christ on a bike...just use the damn thing.

Agree, 100%. I open the box, set the thing up and start using it. In a way, I pity people who are so obsessive they can't enjoy anything without first searching for the slightest blemish. I5 v I7 heat, battery life, which LCD is better, etc... So many OCD threads, so little time. Oh, we're supposed to actually use these devices?

"If you tilt the MBA at at 30.7 degree angle so the light from a 300w blub just reflects off the upper, right quadrant of the bottom of bezel and use polarized sunglasses I can just see a slight scratch between the F11 and F12 keys. Should I return it?"

ColdFlame87
Jul 3, 2012, 06:38 AM
I recently purchased a brand new retina MBP shortly after they were released. After waiting a few days to get one and not the 3-4 weeks it became after just a day I opened it as carefully as I could and to my dismay noticed TWO dents on the bottom of the case. I truly know how you feel OP I had spent 2300 on the machine and to see these kind of noticable blemishes on them is unacceptable.
I went to the Apple store and was told I would have to wait 3-4 weeks to get a replacement which was very frustrating. Although I didn't want to wait I went ahead and started the replacement and fortunately I only waited a week and half to get a replacement.
My point is Apple customer support is awesome for the most part and if you explain the situation they will provide you with the best course of action and the fastest way to get your replacement. Do not sit on it and just use it cause believe me it WILL drive you nuts. :D

Barrierfreeman
Jul 3, 2012, 06:55 AM
Do not sit on it and just use it cause believe me it WILL drive you nuts. :D

Don't get me wrong, if there is physical damage to the case then that is a good enough reason to send it back. It's the idea of returning a MBA, just because it hasn't got a Samsung SSD, that makes me roll my eyes.

...for the record, I just got a 2012 MBA 13" with Toshiba SSD and a LG screen. Guess I better go jump off a bridge or something.

kodeman53
Jul 3, 2012, 07:13 AM
...for the record, I just got a 2012 MBA 13" with Toshiba SSD and a LG screen. Guess I better go jump of a bridge or something.
As long as you are holding your 'second class' MBA13 when you do. :D

Mackan
Jul 3, 2012, 08:02 AM

Don't keep it, send it back.

Well, let's say you have a real problem with your MacBook Air that you need to use the warranty for. It will be totally unrelated to the dent. However, when Apple sees the dent, they will use it against you, claiming you dropped it, which might have caused damage. They will then not honor the warranty.

So, my advice is, send that machine back to the store asap. Don't take any risk.

skuid87
Jul 3, 2012, 08:03 AM
Not to be mean or the voice of reason or anything, but if 1K is A LOT of money for you, why do you have a desktop, laptop, new ipad and iphone?

Hahaa! Good spot. Not that I have to justify anything, but my iMac is 3 years old. The MBA is for my wife (replacement for her old and aged MBP). iPad is used as my own mobile working machine (I work across multiple sites and have dozens of meetings daily so it's perfect low cost solution). iPhone is...well its my phone :)

Thanks for your thoughts guys, that's all I was after. It was the dent that bothered me and for THAT I do feel I was entitled to a replacement. With regards to screen/ssd brand - it doesn't bother me enough to ask for a replacement!

Heck I didn't even know about it until someone mentioned it earlier in the thread. I only asked the question to get your thoughts about the likelihood of even getting the best of both worlds.

As nice as it would be, my (dent free) MBA isn't going anywhere!

alphaod
Jul 4, 2012, 03:38 AM
Looks fine to me. My iPad came with a ding like that. I didn't feel it was worth the effort to wait couple days for a replacement… just felt like a waste of time.

Since it's your time and money, you'll need to decide for yourself: is it worth your time?

theSeb
Jul 4, 2012, 03:44 AM
Well...

It is not bad news. The toshiba in the 2012 MBA is damn fast and you won't see a difference. Please don't get caught up in the OCD hysteria.

KPOM
Jul 4, 2012, 09:49 AM
Well...

It is not bad news. The toshiba in the 2012 MBA is damn fast and you won't see a difference. Please don't get caught up in the OCD hysteria.

^This.

Also note that since the Toshiba uses a SandForce controller, benchmarks that use compressed data (such as DiskSpeedTest) will understate its speed. SandForce handles data by compressing it in a way that speeds up real world usage, but that isn't captured in most benchmarks.

Apple uses multiple suppliers for its components. All are up to snuff. It's a good thing we don't have a way to check the supplier of the RAM, or otherwise we'd probably have people complaining about how their RAM came from Elpida vs. Samsung.

kodeman53
Jul 4, 2012, 09:56 AM
Apple uses multiple suppliers for its components. All are up to snuff. It's a good thing we don't have a way to check the supplier of the RAM, or otherwise we'd probably have people complaining about how their RAM came from Elpida vs. Samsung.

Wait a minute. If I read this correctly, what you are claiming is, the people on this forum are NOT smarter than the Apple design engineers?:eek:

ColdFlame87
Jul 4, 2012, 04:48 PM
Don't get me wrong, if there is physical damage to the case then that is a good enough reason to send it back. It's the idea of returning a MBA, just because it hasn't got a Samsung SSD, that makes me roll my eyes.

...for the record, I just got a 2012 MBA 13" with Toshiba SSD and a LG screen. Guess I better go jump off a bridge or something.

Oh yeah, I haven't even checked to see what type of drive I have on the replacement nor do I care. As long as said drive works I don't flip out over what brand it is. Some people are just too picky.

Nerio27
Jul 9, 2012, 09:16 PM

Where do you live? I'm just wondering if them having a courier come pick it up after you receive the replacement is something based on your location. I just received a mba with a defect on the keyboard, and when I called to ask for a replacement, they said I had to send it in first, have them look at it, then get a replacement sent back to me. I really don't want to have to wait another 2 weeks for the replacement, especially 2 weeks without having one at all.

skuid87
Jul 11, 2012, 02:29 PM
Where do you live? I'm just wondering if them having a courier come pick it up after you receive the replacement is something based on your location. I just received a mba with a defect on the keyboard, and when I called to ask for a replacement, they said I had to send it in first, have them look at it, then get a replacement sent back to me. I really don't want to have to wait another 2 weeks for the replacement, especially 2 weeks without having one at all.

I live in London. They didn't seem to have any problems with this at all.

mattopotamus
Jul 11, 2012, 02:33 PM
I live in London. They didn't seem to have any problems with this at all.

I guess that is different that the US. They would always make you send the old one back first or take it to a store

Nerio27
Jul 11, 2012, 04:11 PM
I guess that is different that the US. They would always make you send the old one back first or take it to a store

Yeah, I was a little annoyed to have to wait for them to receive the old one first, and I said something along the lines of "it kind of sucks to have to wait even longer for it". I think they're instructed to be more flexible with people that seem unhappy, because after that I was offered a free accessory (<$75) with my replacement, and she said that I just needed to call her after I dropped it off with FedEx and they'll release the hold on the new one to get it here faster.

A few hours later, a manager called me, and she offered to send someone to pick it up. I have a FedEx a mile away so I just wanted to do that, but I was still waiting on the prepaid label. She sent me one right on the spot so I could drop it off with a few minutes to spare before they closed drop offs for the day.

Dick Whitman
Nov 28, 2012, 09:53 PM
This happened to me exactly. Dent on a custom configured MBA. Got the LG screen, don't really care about the HDD. Anyway I guess I'll also do an exchange just because I know something like this will drive me crazy. Plus I may even get the Samsung screen next time around.

Jason99kr
Nov 29, 2012, 03:16 PM

Not for me lol

imjoee
Nov 29, 2012, 09:48 PM

Image (http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a248/SkuiD87/IMG_2559.jpg)

Dude you're fine! My power button broke on my iPhone, I also had a similar small extremely tiny dent on my iPhone 5 an returned it. The salesman wanted a restocking fee an I said hell no it's not my problem it's yours I pay quality money for products like these, they should come out to nearly perfect looking products. Just ask for a switch, apple will do it in a heartbeat to make any customer happy. If I were you I would definitely switch it out. That dent there is like 50$ down in value, definitely switch it out, YOLO