Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
Hi,
I'm looking to get a hi-fi audio setup after dealing with built-in DACs for some time. I really wanted an Apogee Duet but after seeing its price tag, I decided against it.
With a measly budget of $400, I decided on this:
Behringer MS20 for $143
Fiio E10 for $69
and a 3' gold RCA S/PDIF cable.

This would cost a total of ~$220 with shipping and tax.
How good would this setup be? Anyone have any recommendations?
Thanks.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
Those DAC/Headphone amps are nice, because they replace the weak amp in your iPod etc. with a better one... and the DAC helps too.

If you're listening through speakers then the headphone amp is a bit of a waste of money. On a limited budget don't waste cash on stuff like that - spend it where it matters.

For $400 you could get something like a pair of KRK rokit 5s or 6s. Skip the gold lead and use a standard lead out of your iDevice/Mac audio out.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
Those DAC/Headphone amps are nice, because they replace the weak amp in your iPod etc. with a better one... and the DAC helps too.

If you're listening through speakers then the headphone amp is a bit of a waste of money. On a limited budget don't waste cash on stuff like that - spend it where it matters.

For $400 you could get something like a pair of KRK rokit 5s or 6s. Skip the gold lead and use a standard lead out of your iDevice/Mac audio out.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I will use monitor headphones at night.
Thanks, I'll look into those.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.