PDA

View Full Version : returning 2012 MBA

rchip
Jun 24, 2012, 06:08 PM
Hello guys,

I had a few problems getting a perfect/acceptable 2011 13 inch macbook air las summer but I got there in the end! It's been the best computer purchase I've ever made, I'm a school teacher and it's been a life saver for me. Always having it with me, having it boot up in a flash ready to connect to an interactive whiteboard has been unreal!

Because I rely on it so much, I though I'm just going to sell this 2011 model and buy a 2012 model. The main reason is just to avoid wear and tear so my machine will still be really reliable and not let me down. Just a precaution really.

A few days ago, I bought a 2012 mba and I think I'm going to have to return it. The main reason for this is, it keeps crashing. I've had a spinning beach ball at 3 seemingly random events. Browsing internet, making slides for smart board and using power point. The problem I have is i can't risk it freezing on me in school and this is the primary reason i was upgrading, to keep the performance tip top!

A minor point, that I know that not many people are bothered about, is the screen isn't as good on this 2012 model and my 2011. I know there's a million opinons on this and I haven't checked which brand of screen it has but I'd just thought i'd add that to the pot of why i think i'm going to have to return it : (

Will I be ok to just return it to the apple store, pretty much no questions asked as I'm within my 14 days? It's a bit of a shame really as I thought this would be good, just to keep getting the refreshed model each year and sell, but I really can't risk the crashes. Will the apple employees understand?

Thanks

RocketRed
Jun 24, 2012, 06:15 PM
Hello guys,

I had a few problems getting a perfect/acceptable 2011 13 inch macbook air las summer but I got there in the end! It's been the best computer purchase I've ever made, I'm a school teacher and it's been a life saver for me. Always having it with me, having it boot up in a flash ready to connect to an interactive whiteboard has been unreal!

Because I rely on it so much, I though I'm just going to sell this 2011 model and buy a 2012 model. The main reason is just to avoid wear and tear so my machine will still be really reliable and not let me down. Just a precaution really.

A few days ago, I bought a 2012 mba and I think I'm going to have to return it. The main reason for this is, it keeps crashing. I've had a spinning beach ball at 3 seemingly random events. Browsing internet, making slides for smart board and using power point. The problem I have is i can't risk it freezing on me in school and this is the primary reason i was upgrading, to keep the performance tip top!

A minor point, that I know that not many people are bothered about, is the screen isn't as good on this 2012 model and my 2011. I know there's a million opinons on this and I haven't checked which brand of screen it has but I'd just thought i'd add that to the pot of why i think i'm going to have to return it : (

Will I be ok to just return it to the apple store, pretty much no questions asked as I'm within my 14 days? It's a bit of a shame really as I thought this would be good, just to keep getting the refreshed model each year and sell, but I really can't risk the crashes. Will the apple employees understand?

Thanks

Yeah you can return it within 14 days for a full refund.

glen e
Jun 24, 2012, 06:27 PM
You're a teacher And you don't know how to return an item? Of course you can return it at the Apple Store. But let me get this straight, you're going to return it and not get another one because it crashes? Don't you think that possibly there is something wrong with it and you should ask for replacement? The 2012 clearly is better than a 2011 long-term simply because of the upgraded RAM which you are going to need in the long run , especially if you're a teacher and with all the upcoming programs. I'd rethink this one....

RocketRed
Jun 24, 2012, 06:30 PM
You're a teacher And you don't know how to return an item? Of course you can return it at the Apple Store. But let me get this straight, you're going to return it and not get another one because it crashes? Don't you think that possibly there is something wrong with it and you should ask for replacement? The 2012 clearly is better than a 2011 long-term simply because of the upgraded RAM which you are going to need in the long run , especially if you're a teacher and with all the upcoming programs. I'd rethink this one....

I've had my 2012 MBA crashed once.. but it was only because I was running Flash on Chrome. Only Once.

My 2011 MBA has never crashed.

bossxii
Jun 24, 2012, 06:42 PM
Returning it within 14 day is easy. They will power it up make sure it works etc.. but refund the full amount and probably ask why. If it's giving you problems they will gladly swap you for another unit. These are computers like any other machine some will have issues. Acting like all 2012 have issues is beyond common sense. I've returned iMacs for issues and MBP's but my current 2012 MBA has run fine since I purchased it just over a week and probably well over 80 hours of use. I run everything from web, video, win 7 via Parallels and light Photoshopping, no beach balls, no issues.

It's always a bit puzzling why people freak out and act like it's the end of the world when their new Apple product does't work... $@!t happens, exchange and enjoy. There is a reason Apple has the number one customer service record year after year. They are super easy to work with and their only goal is to make you a happy customer. :)

rchip
Jun 24, 2012, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I appreciate this machine, for one reason or another may have an issue. The thing is I don't want to potentially have to make another trip back to the apple sore to return another machine that is also crashing on me. Whilst the 2012 model is definitely an improvement, the 2011 is running everything I need adequately at the moment but not crashing and also seems to have a nicer display (the display I wouldn't return for though, the difference is slight, it's just another thing).

Hopefully this 2011 should see me through to the next refresh. If this was happening with the next refresh I would try exchanging as the upgrade will be of greater importance to me, I'm sure.

Thanks for confirming I can just return it, I just wanted confirm I wouldn't have any bother.

GREEN4U
Jun 24, 2012, 06:45 PM
Was this purchased online or in-store?

rchip
Jun 24, 2012, 06:48 PM
Returning it within 14 day is easy. They will power it up make sure it works etc.. but refund the full amount and probably ask why. If it's giving you problems they will gladly swap you for another unit. These are computers like any other machine some will have issues. Acting like all 2012 have issues is beyond common sense. I've returned iMacs for issues and MBP's but my current 2012 MBA has run fine since I purchased it just over a week and probably well over 80 hours of use. I run everything from web, video, win 7 via Parallels and light Photoshopping, no beach balls, no issues.

It's always a bit puzzling why people freak out and act like it's the end of the world when their new Apple product does't work... $@!t happens, exchange and enjoy. There is a reason Apple has the number one customer service record year after year. They are super easy to work with and their only goal is to make you a happy customer. :)

Thanks for your great reply!

See my post above for my reasons for just returning and not exchanging.

----------

Was this purchased online or in-store?

In store in England.

mattopotamus
Jun 24, 2012, 07:07 PM

i returned an 11" and all they did was check the serial number and return it

KPOM
Jun 24, 2012, 09:19 PM
Apple is very good about returns within the normal return period. They'll just take it back. However, if your main complaint is crashing, find out what the issue is, first. If you are running Google Chrome, be aware that crashing is a common issue, so it sounds like Google will need to come up with an update. If it is not, it's possible you just have a bad logic board. I had a similar issue in 2010, and Apple just gave me a new MacBook Air in return. Crashing certainly isn't a universal issue for the 2012s.

palpatine
Jun 24, 2012, 09:55 PM
Fast. Beautiful acreen. Running Google Chrome. Beachballs under heavy loads, but none in normal use. No crashing. I'd exchange if I were you, but I am guessin you didn't sell the 2011 and don't need the 2012, so you don't have much incentive to try again.

dcorban
Jun 24, 2012, 10:23 PM
Let me guess… Google Chrome?

dona83
Jun 24, 2012, 10:39 PM
2011 -> 2012 is such a small incremental upgrade I wouldn't bother.

Stetrain
Jun 24, 2012, 11:27 PM
Yeah, if you're using Chrome, several people have reported crashes on the 2012 Macbooks related to Chrome and the HD 4000 graphics chip. If you aren't using Chrome it might be specific to your MBA.

chanyitian
Jun 24, 2012, 11:37 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I appreciate this machine, for one reason or another may have an issue. The thing is I don't want to potentially have to make another trip back to the apple sore to return another machine that is also crashing on me. Whilst the 2012 model is definitely an improvement, the 2011 is running everything I need adequately at the moment but not crashing and also seems to have a nicer display (the display I wouldn't return for though, the difference is slight, it's just another thing).

Hopefully this 2011 should see me through to the next refresh. If this was happening with the next refresh I would try exchanging as the upgrade will be of greater importance to me, I'm sure.

Thanks for confirming I can just return it, I just wanted confirm I wouldn't have any bother.

Personally, I would recommend that you ask for a full refund because there is only a slight difference between the 2012 and 2011 model. Many users say that there is virtually no difference in performance between the two versions. I think that if you wait for another year, they may add Retina Displays to the Macbook Air and maybe a spec improvement too. Good luck!

Acorn
Jun 24, 2012, 11:45 PM
have had my 2012 for a couple of days and havent experienced any crashes yet. I dont use chrome though i use firefox

Tea-Aholic
Jun 25, 2012, 12:18 AM
2011 -> 2012 is such a small incremental upgrade I wouldn't bother.

I wouldn't call Ivy Bridge, faster SSD, USB 3 and Intel 4000 "such a small incremental upgrade".

calvol
Jun 25, 2012, 12:42 AM
I would return the 2012, sell the 2011, and buy a 2010, mine hasn't crashed in two years!

Aniseedvan
Jun 25, 2012, 02:07 AM
Remember if you got yours through the back to school promo to give the gift card back otherwise you will be charged the £70.

One of the reasons for buying apple is their excellent customer service, I'm sure your refund will be no hassle.

theSeb
Jun 25, 2012, 03:26 AM
Thanks for the replies.

You're a teacher so I would expect you to be able to employ a modicum of logic and have some common sense. Logic and common sense tells us that it's just plain silly to draw any conclusions on an entire population based on one random sample.

rchip
Jun 25, 2012, 04:30 AM
Thank you for all the very useful replies. I'm not actually running Chrome, anyway, I'll make a trip to the store tomorrow to make the return.

You're a teacher so I would expect you to be able to employ a modicum of logic and have some common sense. Logic and common sense tells us that it's just plain silly to draw any conclusions on an entire population based on one random sample.

I agree, who was it that said the entire line of 2012 macbook airs had the same problem, based on one random sample?

I'm not entirely sure that it's me that's lacking common sense.

theSeb
Jun 25, 2012, 04:34 AM
I agree, who was it that said the entire line of 2012 macbook airs had the same problem, based on one random sample?

I'm not entirely sure that it's me that's lacking common sense.

That is exactly what you're insinuating in this post:

The thing is I don't want to potentially have to make another trip back to the apple sore to return another machine that is also crashing on me

Why would you make the assumption that another machine would also crash?

rchip
Jun 25, 2012, 05:14 AM
That is exactly what you're insinuating in this post:

Why would you make the assumption that another machine would also crash?

I'm not making this assumption. What I'm saying is, I don't have the time to find out if the next machine I get is going to crash as well as then i'd need to make another trip back. It's a non essential upgrade, I was simply upgrading to make sure I maintained solid performance. It could be an issue with some of the software I'm running, for some reason not getting on with 2012 air, I have no idea.

If the upgrade was more essential, as I said in a previous post in this thread, I would exchange for replacement air. As it stands, I'll just keep my 2011 as I know I'm not having any problems with it.

Before you say, you don't have time to make a trip to the store but you have time to have this discussion on macrumors. I don't really have the time to have this discussion, I just felt compeled to reply because your original post was so rude.

Sorry for taking this thread off topic and thanks for your help.

theSeb
Jun 25, 2012, 05:32 AM
I'm not making this assumption. What I'm saying is, I don't have the time to find out if the next machine I get is going to crash as well as then i'd need to make another trip back. It's a non essential upgrade, I was simply upgrading to make sure I maintained solid performance. It could be an issue with some of the software I'm running, for some reason not getting on with 2012 air, I have no idea.

If the upgrade was more essential, as I said in a previous post in this thread, I would exchange for replacement air. As it stands, I'll just keep my 2011 as I know I'm not having any problems with it.

Before you say, you don't have time to make a trip to the store but you have time to have this discussion on macrumors. I don't really have the time to have this discussion, I just felt compeled to reply because your original post was so rude.

Sorry for taking this thread off topic and thanks for your help.
I am not sure what is so rude about my original post, unless you're overtly sensitive and can't handle being questioned.

dona83
Jun 25, 2012, 08:22 AM
I wouldn't call Ivy Bridge, faster SSD, USB 3 and Intel 4000 "such a small incremental upgrade".

But is it worth the cost of buying a new model and selling the old one? The 2011 will have already taken about a 30% depreciation hit plus you lose the taxes as well.

glen e
Jun 25, 2012, 08:50 AM
I am not sure what is so rude about my original post, unless you're overtly sensitive and can't handle being questioned.

Agreed ....saying something is not working right is a reason to return it and not correct it .......is false logic.

"I don't like it or need it" works, but not "it's crashing"

theSeb
Jun 25, 2012, 09:59 AM
Agreed ....saying something is not working right is a reason to return it and not correct it .......is false logic.

"I don't like it or need it" works, but not "it's crashing"

Next time I'll add pretty please with sugar on top or something.

grame
Jun 25, 2012, 11:26 AM
As a teacher myself I can fully understand your wariness of faulty equipment. Preparing a lesson that is suddenly rendered redundant because the laptop powering the projector malfunctions is a needlessly stressful situation. And quite why being able to teach should somehow involve a detailed knowledge of Apple's returns and refunds policies is beyond me - perhaps they do things differently in America. The point of a forum is that it's a community of generously-spirited people willing to be helpful and answer questions such as these. Sadly, however, they're also home to people sniffing round for any opportunity to look smart at other people's expense. Mistrust anyone who invokes 'common sense' to back up their particular perspective: Einstein called it all of those petty prejudices you inherit from your parents and fail to shake off by the time you're eighteen. Or something like that. It's usually a sign of an inability to think outside of received world-views.

Don't presume we all adopt this same snarky tone or approach.

6-0 Prolene
Jun 25, 2012, 04:15 PM
There is nothing inherent in the 2012 MBA that makes it crash a lot.

Did you migrate from another machine, or did you install everything clean? My MBA is running Office 2011 blazing fast, with nary a beach ball.

Your problem is almost certainly software- or OS-based. You're going to go through a lot of computers if this is your strategy.

Fontane
Jun 26, 2012, 09:35 AM

People like you ruin this forum. There is absolutely nothing useful in your post.

theSeb
Jun 26, 2012, 09:40 AM
People like you ruin this forum. There is absolutely nothing useful in your post.

Really? I must have been dreaming when I typed the thousands of helpful and detailed replies, yet I find that I add nothing to do the forum and, in fact, I ruin it.

Logic and common sense tells us that it's just plain silly to draw any conclusions on an entire population based on one random sample.

This is actually very useful. It's a useful fact that a lot of the kids on this forum forget as they run around high on their own OCD trying to look for every possible issue.

Frankly, I think it's people like you that ruin the forum.

joewillmott
Jul 10, 2012, 03:52 PM
I am returning an Apple laptop tomorrow; if I bought it online will I still be able to return it in-store?