Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djschep

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2012
Guys I have found the answer for this, Thanks for looking!

Hey guys,

Quick question, I live in the Netherlands and my father and grandfather (both have macs) live in other countries. I frequently help them with problems relating to their computers. Is there any way i can connect to their computers so that i can control them using remote desktop? If there is, can anyone refer me to a guide to setting it up?

Thanks in advance

djschep

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I use TeamViewer, which is free for personal use and works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's very secure and quite simple to set up and use (no messing around with ports), which comes in handy if providing remote support to those who aren't very computer literate. You can talk them through the setup on their end and be connected to them in less than a minute. I prefer it over LogMeIn because it includes free file transfers between computers, a feature I use frequently.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
It's already built into the Macs. Just enable Screen Sharing in the sharing pref panes on all the machines. Then you have to connect remotely: this means you need to have access to the other machines via their IP addresses, which is easy enough if you know how to do that.

I really like Share Tool for this, since it simplifies the connections and is very secure; I just prefer it over the services like LogMeIn and TeamViewer.

Some video chat also allows screen sharing as well; I think Skype would well in your situation, and perhaps you guys are already using it. It's ideal if you're doing tech support.

Rob

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.