PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

BNHabs
Jun 25, 2012, 06:18 AM
I bought a brand new Macbook Air 13-inch top of the line.

One of the keys was scratched/blemished out-of-the-box. This is the second MacBook Air I'm on. First one had a few keys with marks.

I decided to go to the Apple Genius in-store and they replaced the key with another one. The 'new' key has no scratches, but is ever so slightly shinier then the other keys - I guess due to wear as it might not be a brand new key. It is not noticeable to the average person, but with OCD, and a bit of staring in different lighting scenarios, I see the difference.

What would you guys do? Have exchanged the laptop for a new one or just get the key replaced?

simsaladimbamba
Jun 25, 2012, 06:24 AM
I would just use it, as the other keys will probably look like the "new" key in no time, but then again, I don't have OCD and don't know, what it is like to live with such disease.
Hopefully you can see (or better not see) the key in a different light, and see (this time I mean it), that it still works.

Good luck.

bp1000
Jun 25, 2012, 07:03 AM
I can see how that freaks you out.

I am meticulous, probably OCD too and it would annoy me.

But in time, with use the key will blend right in. On the other hand, I don't think they will replace the entire keypad because you have OCD about 1 shinier key. To people without OCD it makes us sound like maniacs.

mattopotamus
Jun 25, 2012, 07:09 AM
I can see how that freaks you out.

I am meticulous, probably OCD too and it would annoy me.

But in time, with use the key will blend right in. On the other hand, I don't think they will replace the entire keypad because you have OCD about 1 shinier key. To people without OCD it makes us sound like maniacs.

i am the same way, so i would have to take it back haha

deeddawg
Jun 25, 2012, 01:22 PM
Since you asked what I'd do...

I'd get over it and use the MBA as a computer rather than a decoration. Within a few days or weeks you'll have different keys showing different levels of shine just through natural wear.

Plus, most of the time I'm looking at the screen not the keyboard. Exception being when I need some seldom-used function key or something.

And yes, I'm one who notices such things quickly, but over the years learned that the world is imperfect; there's always going to be some imperfection if I look hard enough. The important thing is that the device does what I need it to do; so long as a minor cosmetic defect doesn't impede usability it's just easier and less stressful to get over it and move on. That and it reduces the frequency of eyerolls from my family when I get too anal about details on something. :)

GGJstudios
Jun 25, 2012, 01:36 PM
What would you guys do? Have exchanged the laptop for a new one or just get the key replaced?
Neither. I'd ignore it, as your MBA will show signs of wear over time, anyway. They're never going to be perfect. There are far more important things in life to think about than whether a computer key is shiny or not.

KPOM
Jun 25, 2012, 01:37 PM
At this point, I'd just leave it as is. They have already replaced the key and it works. The keys will wear with time (though Apple keyboards tend to wear a bit longer than many PC keyboards, from my experience).

theSeb
Jun 25, 2012, 01:41 PM
I would go see a doctor about your OCD. A computer is a tool meant to be used. If you're vey concerned about scratches, heat, shiny keys and or anything else then I suggest putting into a glass display on a pedestal in the centre of your dining room.

TheRealDamager
Jun 25, 2012, 07:59 PM
Leave it and move on. It works perfectly.

Acorn
Jun 25, 2012, 09:05 PM
i would try and wipe the entire keyboard down. it just might be grease from the guys finger when he was installing it.

BNHabs
Jun 25, 2012, 09:44 PM
It appears as if the whole key seems to be a slightly shinier shade of black.. Did they change the key's in the Macbook's?

Like there is not one specific spot on that key where it is more shiny. The whole key seems to be a little bit more shiny.