PDA

View Full Version : FS: Aluminum-toned 17" Widescreen LCD

matticus008
Jul 23, 2005, 02:53 PM
Hi all. I'm moving to Vancouver in a few weeks and have a beautiful Samsung SyncMaster 172w that I'd rather sell than risk breaking in the moving truck. This is a quality panel with NO dead pixels and a quick 23ms total refresh time. I have experienced no ghosting with this monitor, and its MagicBright feature makes DVD viewing great, boosting color brightness to make vivid images when you need it (and turn it off when you don't). Brightness is 450 nit (compare to 250 for most other LCDs)--I have it set on 6/100 and sometimes turn it down even lower. 500:1 contrast. The panel itself is just 1" thick, unlike monstrous Dells. The non-refurbished models retail for $600+ and this one is in mint condition. The only blemish is on the back side of the base, where there is a 1/4 inch scratch from a falling paperweight.

The bezel is a silver matte finish which matches my PowerBook almost perfectly. The speakers are tastefully integrated into the base with a grille pattern that mimics the PowerBook's own speakers. They are not the greatest speakers, but aren't bad for built-in monitor ones. An accent color of matte black can be found in the base and on the back of the panel (which has no vents, so no need to worry about dust buildup). 17" widescreens like this are rare, and stylish ones that look good next to a Mac even more rare.

I'm looking to get about $325 for this, but the price is flexible. It comes with the original box, manual, and cables (except the audio cable for the speakers, which I've lost). Make an offer if you're interested!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v95/clearhorizons/samsung172w_pspc2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v95/clearhorizons/samsung172w_io.jpg

And this one could be yours:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v95/clearhorizons/P7270026.jpg

matticus008
Jul 23, 2005, 04:03 PM
Price includes shipping (within the US, extra charge for international shipments). Payment via Paypal, money order, or personal check. Personal check will hold shipping until the check clears, of course. I've sold locally and can provide references if necessary.

Sorry to add a comment, but my edit wasn't sticking for some reason.

Man In Black
Jul 23, 2005, 06:24 PM
Where in the Bay Area are you located? Im in the Walnut Creek area.

matticus008
Jul 23, 2005, 06:36 PM

matticus008
Jul 28, 2005, 03:21 AM
I'll also consider a trade for an iPod and some cash, depending on the size and generation of the iPod. Mine recently died and I can't really replace it at the moment.

mbl42
Jul 28, 2005, 01:37 PM
I'm in Palo Alto so you wouldn't have to deal with shipping. Maybe we could work out a trade. Email me if interested.

wnameth
Jul 28, 2005, 01:41 PM
possibly both ipods in my sig

matticus008
Jul 28, 2005, 01:44 PM
I'm in Palo Alto so you wouldn't have to deal with shipping. Maybe we could work out a trade. Email me if interested.

message sent

jimsowden
Jul 28, 2005, 01:56 PM
Is the res on that thing 1280x768?

matticus008
Jul 28, 2005, 02:03 PM
Is the res on that thing 1280x768?

Yes, indeed it is. It's pretty much like a shortened 19" panel, which would have a 1280x1024 resolution.

matticus008
Jul 29, 2005, 03:52 PM
SOLD! Or rather, in the process.

wnameth
Aug 1, 2005, 11:56 AM
payment sent, and i would like to say this was a great seller who gave me a good deal with a trade :)

it is soon to be hooked up to a mac mini

matticus008
Aug 14, 2005, 03:01 PM
The buyer has now backed out of this transaction. The monitor has already shipped from my home, and will be refused by the parents of the buyer. It is therefore available for sale again. When I receive the returned package, I will make sure that it has been returned in full working order and good condition.

I'm asking US$300 or best offer.

It's being returned to California, where I am spending my last few weeks before moving to Vancouver.

GoCubsGo
Aug 14, 2005, 03:11 PM
why'd they refuse it?

matticus008
Aug 14, 2005, 03:13 PM
why'd they refuse it?

Essentially, the buyer changed his mind and decided he didn't need the LCD. I haven't received the iPod (which was part of the transaction), and my monitor is now en route to him. He has indicated that he will be refusing delivery and will not be shipping the iPod.

ninjadex
Aug 14, 2005, 04:47 PM
Pretty low, pretty low. :mad:

madmaxmedia
Aug 15, 2005, 12:22 AM
That really sucks. If he didn't have some sort of emergency situation (which can happen), and he just decided he suddenly didn't want it...

I might be interested, but to be honest I won't know for a couple of weeks whether or not I need it, or can swing it.

Maybe you want to PM me in 2 weeks if it is still available?

Good luck-

matticus008
Aug 15, 2005, 04:36 PM
That really sucks. If he didn't have some sort of emergency situation (which can happen), and he just decided he suddenly didn't want it...

I might be interested, but to be honest I won't know for a couple of weeks whether or not I need it, or can swing it.

Maybe you want to PM me in 2 weeks if it is still available?

Good luck-

I'll make a note to do that. I might still be getting settled into my new place, and my internet might not be set up yet, but I'll message you when I can.

ITASOR
Aug 15, 2005, 09:37 PM
Wow, looks like you're taking the whole incident very well. Good job! I usually freak out if something like that happens! If I needed an LCD, I would scoop this up, but I don't sorry. Good luck with the sale!

matticus008
Aug 16, 2005, 01:11 AM
Wow, looks like you're taking the whole incident very well. Good job! I usually freak out if something like that happens! If I needed an LCD, I would scoop this up, but I don't sorry. Good luck with the sale!

Well, I'm certainly concerned about my monitor being lost in the shuffle, but I'm too stressed out about moving and immigration matters to be much affected by this. Assuming the monitor gets back to me, I'm not out any money, since the buyer is still paying shipping costs (not that there'd be any other way to handle a cancellation like that!).

It's a really great panel and it looks great, but since all of my crap is going the freight route, I have reservations about its ability to survive land, sea, and air in a cargo container with bulkier items. I've already arranged for the dimensions and weight of what I am taking and what I'm leaving behind (along with all the customs paperwork), so adding another box isn't an option at this point, so I hope it sells, too!

artiepants
Aug 16, 2005, 11:24 PM
What type of connection does that thing have... I'd like to connect it to my old 15" TiBook 550-- I think it has VGA?

matticus008
Aug 17, 2005, 12:09 AM
What type of connection does that thing have... I'd like to connect it to my old 15" TiBook 550-- I think it has VGA?

The monitor has both VGA and DVI inputs (and comes with both cables). There is a "Source" button on the panel that you can use to switch between the two.

artiepants
Aug 17, 2005, 12:24 AM
Is the speaker cable something standard or some kind of proprietary thing that I'd have a ton of trouble tracking down? In other words, What kind of connection is it into the monitor? Mini jack or something wierd?

matticus008
Aug 17, 2005, 02:50 AM
Is the speaker cable something standard or some kind of proprietary thing that I'd have a ton of trouble tracking down? In other words, What kind of connection is it into the monitor? Mini jack or something wierd?

It's a standard 1/8" minijack (female connection to the monitor, so you'd need a male/male cable). It's the same cable you'd use for an iPod or CD player. I have one, but it's about six inches long and is pretty useless, so I doubt that's the original one from the box. Radio Shack has them for about five dollars, but just about everywhere sells them. I never bothered to replace it because I never used the speakers. Maybe it never even came with one, heh.

matticus008
Aug 18, 2005, 02:47 PM
Offers pending as of yesterday. Still haven't received returned shipment, but hopefully it'll turn up next week sometime.

Any other members want to throw their hat in the ring? Last chance!

artiepants
Dec 7, 2005, 05:11 PM
For What it's worth to anybody, I bought this monitor from Matticus-- He was a pleasure to deal with and the Monitor arrived in perfect order. I'd definately do business with him again, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend anyone else do the same.

Thanks Matticus

wnameth
Dec 7, 2005, 05:21 PM
I am very glad that the (second!!!!) transaction revolving around this nice monitor went well, i am still very sorry for what happened, it was a bad situation, and money problems (being 16) were extremely large at that point in time, and still are, i hope the monitor is great.

thanks

themacmaestro
Dec 9, 2005, 09:11 AM
Still got it for sale?

matticus008
Dec 9, 2005, 02:02 PM
Thanks guys for the good words.

Just to clear up the issue, because I've gotten a few messages, this monitor is now SOLD.