Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scuba629

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Does anyone have this case? I'm thinking of stopping at an apple store to pick it up but wondering how is performs.

* does it keep the laptop cool?(games, flash, silverlight, etc)
* does it crack easy?
* some mention extra stress on the open/close hinge(iPeral). Is that an issue here?
* easy on and off?
* all ports easy to get to?
* does it add much weight?

Moshi 13" iGlaze Shell Case for MacBook Air

amien

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2012
my question about this case is : how is it compared to the speck?
i have the speck now and i'm not happy about how it fits around my air. it gets lose all the time. does this iglaze fit better then the speck?

Ndhusmc

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2011
I have the black Moshi iGlaze for the 13" MBA. I've had it for a little over a week and it's beautiful. It fits great and reminds me of the days of the black MacBook. The Apple logo is clearly visible with a hazy glow to it. The case barely added any bulk at all, feels sturdy, and doesn't get in the way of any ports (to include the power port). I know the speck gets in the way of the power port but this does not. Also, I haven't noticed any decreased resistance while opening my screen. With my speck case for my MacBook pro it caused my screen to almost flop open and closed after a couple of months. My only complaint is with the indention where you open the MBA. Sometimes I will find myself attempting to pull it open by the case covering the screen by accident and I feel like I might crack it over time. I've gotten better at making sure my thumb is on the screen bezel before I lift, but it's still annoying.

bcwright03

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2012
I have the black Moshi iGlaze for the 13" MBA. I've had it for a little over a week and it's beautiful. It fits great and reminds me of the days of the black MacBook. The Apple logo is clearly visible with a hazy glow to it. The case barely added any bulk at all, feels sturdy, and doesn't get in the way of any ports (to include the power port). I know the speck gets in the way of the power port but this does not. Also, I haven't noticed any decreased resistance while opening my screen. With my speck case for my MacBook pro it caused my screen to almost flop open and closed after a couple of months. My only complaint is with the indention where you open the MBA. Sometimes I will find myself attempting to pull it open by the case covering the screen by accident and I feel like I might crack it over time. I've gotten better at making sure my thumb is on the screen bezel before I lift, but it's still annoying.

I too have the black moshi iglaze case for my new 13" air. It looks great, has a very nice matte finish, adds little bulk, and feels secure. The rubber feet on the bottom contribute to keeping the bottom on the surface when opening up the screen. That is a little benefit, but I found that to be a nice feeling as you can open the lid with only one hand, not having to worry about it coming up off the surface.

An issue I had with the case though, is that when opening up the computer, the far left and right bottoms of the air's screen tend to scrape over the portions of the bottom case which snap on to the upper left and right corners of the air. It will click on these two corners initially, and then when opened further, it slides over the corners again, just on the bottom side. This was a big problem for me, as I didn't want to continue doing this each time I would open my computer. I resolved to just take off the case. I tried filing down the corners of the case, but this did not do any good, as it still snapped each time I raised the screen.

Is that problem just an anomaly, or do other owners notice this, but just shrug it off and not worry about it? I really wanted to like the case, but I could not handle it doing that each time I would open the computer.

Ndhusmc

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2011
I too have the black moshi iglaze case for my new 13" air. It looks great, has a very nice matte finish, adds little bulk, and feels secure. The rubber feet on the bottom contribute to keeping the bottom on the surface when opening up the screen. That is a little benefit, but I found that to be a nice feeling as you can open the lid with only one hand, not having to worry about it coming up off the surface.

An issue I had with the case though, is that when opening up the computer, the far left and right bottoms of the air's screen tend to scrape over the portions of the bottom case which snap on to the upper left and right corners of the air. It will click on these two corners initially, and then when opened further, it slides over the corners again, just on the bottom side. This was a big problem for me, as I didn't want to continue doing this each time I would open my computer. I resolved to just take off the case. I tried filing down the corners of the case, but this did not do any good, as it still snapped each time I raised the screen.

Is that problem just an anomaly, or do other owners notice this, but just shrug it off and not worry about it? I really wanted to like the case, but I could not handle it doing that each time I would open the computer.

I haven't noticed anything clicking or moving when opening or closing mine. There's just enough space for my top to clear the bottom with nothing touching. Do you have your top on so that the "moshi" logo is right side up if you're looking at the Apple logo?

Last edited:

bcwright03

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2012
I haven't noticed anything clicking or moving when opening or closing mine. There's just enough space for my top to clear the bottom with nothing touching. Do you have your top on so that the "moshi" logo is right side up if you're looking at the Apple logo?

Yes, but even on correctly, the problem persists. I've tried it both ways.
Also, the shell on the top can be a little heavy. It isn't noticeable in normal use, but if you have your computer tilted back a considerable about, at a certain angle it will cause the screen to fall back relatively quickly due to the added weight.

h0use

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2011
Does it fit fine on the 2012 MBA?

Those who've responded, do you have the '11 or '12 model?

Thanks fellars.

jm5309

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2010
I have the black iGlaze on a 2011 13" MBA, and mine also catches and clicks in the back when opening the computer. Besides that, I really like the look and feel of the case.

amien

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2012
I have the black iGlaze on a 2011 13" MBA, and mine also catches and clicks in the back when opening the computer. Besides that, I really like the look and feel of the case.

i bought the 13" iglaze case. I have this too .. and it's really annoying. Didn't they test this before shipping in volume?

and for me.. the bottom is causing the issue. tried it without the top cover, and i have clicks then too.
I mailed moshi support about this issue. Wondering if they will give a response.

besides the clicks when opening (can't still believe i bought a 60 dollar case with this issue) .. compared to the specks .. the iglaze sticks much better to the air and the material of the iglaze is really nice. and it's black! the speck is more dark gray.

Last edited:

tjcad

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2010
i bought the 13" iglaze case. I have this too .. and it's really annoying. Didn't they test this before shipping in volume?

and for me.. the bottom is causing the issue. tried it without the top cover, and i have clicks then too.
I mailed moshi support about this issue. Wondering if they will give a response.

besides the clicks when opening (can't still believe i bought a 60 dollar case with this issue) .. compared to the specks .. the iglaze sticks much better to the air and the material of the iglaze is really nice. and it's black! the speck is more dark gray.

Im actually about to purchase this for my MBA can you tell me if the case is rubbing on the MBA or on the other part of the case? Coz you said it clicks even without the top cover.

Thanks

SoIsays

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2011
I have the translucent version for my 13". It is a perfect fit all around, however, I am not able to push the display backwards with the case on. It will only go maybe at a maximum angle of 100 degrees because it is almost vertical at 90 degrees. It's due to the plastic in the rear that is preventing the top portion from moving.

EDIT: well it looks like the mba has gotten used to the moshi and is now able to extend beyond the 100 degree angle that i was stuck at. it now goes about 145 degrees now.

Last edited:

amien

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2012
Im actually about to purchase this for my MBA can you tell me if the case is rubbing on the MBA or on the other part of the case? Coz you said it clicks even without the top cover.

Thanks

yes .. it's rubbing on the MBA itself.

amien

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2012
i'm thinking about using some sandpaper to lower the corners. anyone tried this allready?

Attachments

• 2012-07-18_12-11-36.jpg
    2012-07-18_12-11-36.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 780
Last edited:

amien

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2012
i talked to Moshi, they said some airs are a little bit smaller.
If this is the case, i thought it was a air 2012 issue. But someone with an 2011 also has this problem. perhaps all BTO versions?

Had the same problem with this laptop with Specks. Tried two

If this is really the case, i might not be able to get a shell case for my air.
So, whats the alternative? A sticker?

Now that i have been using the iGlaze. The top case is also a bit lose

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
I have this snap-on and it is flawless. No rubbing on the back of the MBA, no problems when lifting the lid to open. Fit is outstanding as it just disappears and you'd never know there was a case on the MBA at all. Very high quality plastic with an excellent matte finish and non-slip grip. Expensive? Yes, but worth every penny imo as I've never been a fan of snap-on protective covers until using this Moshi iGlaze. Truly an outstanding product.

fark

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2013
I have this snap-on and it is flawless. No rubbing on the back of the MBA, no problems when lifting the lid to open. Fit is outstanding as it just disappears and you'd never know there was a case on the MBA at all. Very high quality plastic with an excellent matte finish and non-slip grip. Expensive? Yes, but worth every penny imo as I've never been a fan of snap-on protective covers until using this Moshi iGlaze. Truly an outstanding product.
Agree, 100% with these comments. I have a Moshi on my 2012 MBA13 and it is the best solution for me of all the MBA cases I've tried which include a leather case (can't recall the name) and a TwelveSouth BookBook. Nice cases, but bulky. My MBA13 in the Moshi slides into my Waterfield Messenger with room to spare.

tejas318

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2014
Moshi iGlaze Hard Shell for MacBook Air 13" Pearl White

dear sir
i am above to buy

so should i go ahead or not
should i buy all accessories for my new macbook air 13 or i should buy apple protection plan

which accessories to buy and useful one
please help me with basic software too
have a good day

watermelonbook

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2014
dear sir
i am above to buy

so should i go ahead or not
should i buy all accessories for my new macbook air 13 or i should buy apple protection plan

which accessories to buy and useful one
please help me with basic software too
have a good day

Moshi iGlaze case: ABSOLUTELY YES! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.