PDA

View Full Version : Bootcamp HD Size on Air

Scuba629
Jun 25, 2012, 06:41 AM
What size does everyone use for their Bootcamp partitions? I have a 256GB drive and wasn't sure how large to make the Windows 7 partition...

I'm not sure how many games will go on it but games are the reason I am using Bootcamp and not just a VM.

Thoughts?

paulopadopa
Jun 25, 2012, 06:47 AM
What size does everyone use for their Bootcamp partitions? I have a 256GB drive and wasn't sure how large to make the Windows 7 partition...

I'm not sure how many games will go on it but games are the reason I am using Bootcamp and not just a VM.

Thoughts?

Mine is 30 GB but you can make it bigger if needed later on.

Scuba629
Jun 25, 2012, 07:04 AM
Mine is 30 GB but you can make it bigger if needed later on.

Wait you can resize it? I must admit im new to bootcamp but I thought once you selected the initial partition size it was a done deal. No?

kylera
Jun 25, 2012, 07:14 AM
Wait you can resize it? I must admit im new to bootcamp but I thought once you selected the initial partition size it was a done deal. No?

There are some apps that supposedly resize partitions, but they have mixed results. It's best to set a size, and consider it as a done deal.

Scuba629
Jun 25, 2012, 07:17 AM
I was thinking 60GB but maybe that's to much? After looking at Streams website most games are ready for Mac.

Bob Coxner
Jun 25, 2012, 09:54 AM
I went with a minimal Win 7 bootcamp at 40gb. You could use that as your baseline and then add space for whatever games you need.

joudbren
Jun 25, 2012, 10:36 AM
I set mine at 60GB. I was waffling on whether or not to go 80GB but it really depends on how much you think you'll be using your Win7 partition and how many programs, etc. you'll be installing on the Windows side. Cheers!

P.S. I can also tell you that my 60GB partition actually formatted out to 56GB usable and a full install of Win7 Ultimate 64 (including all updates) left only 23GB of available space. Only thing extra installed is Apple iTunes and Quicktime. If you have to install MS Office or games on the Windows side then I would highly suggest you go at least 80GB.

James

ZBoater
Jun 25, 2012, 12:41 PM
Wait you can resize it?

Kinda. You back it up with Winclone, delete and resize the partition with Disk Utility, restore with Winclone.

http://twocanoes.com/asset.php?id=8

KPOM
Jun 25, 2012, 12:43 PM

Winclone (http://twocanoes.com/software.php?software=1) is the best program for resizing a partition later. It also works as a way to back an up entire partition. It is $20. You can even use it to move a Boot Camp partition to a new Mac, but sometimes there are added steps because of driver incompatibilities.

Anyway, I have a 75GB partition. It's enough for Windows 7 64-bit Professional, Windows XP Mode (which I used to need when my corporate site required IE 6.0 or 7.0), Office 2010, Quicken 2012, some utilities, and about 20GB free. Windows itself requires 20GB.

Blackened Apple
Jun 25, 2012, 01:19 PM
Shouldn't standard Unix utilities like fdisk be able to resize the partition? And if the partition is resized, how would you go about fixing the boot sectors and such?

KPOM
Jun 25, 2012, 01:33 PM
Shouldn't standard Unix utilities like fdisk be able to resize the partition? And if the partition is resized, how would you go about fixing the boot sectors and such?

I believe that's what Winclone does. It used to be a "free" program, but was abandoned for a time before a new person took it over and made it a paid program. For $20, it's well worth it for me.

ZBoater
Jun 25, 2012, 01:39 PM
Shouldn't standard Unix utilities like fdisk be able to resize the partition?

Not if you want Windows to work afterwards...

----------

...how would you go about fixing the boot sectors and such?

Winclone takes care of this for you.

mikeytrend
Jun 25, 2012, 02:30 PM
I was thinking 60GB but maybe that's to much? After looking at Streams website most games are ready for Mac.

Although most games are ready for mac, I still find most of them still run better on a Mac running Windows.

Blackened Apple
Jun 25, 2012, 03:49 PM
Not if you want Windows to work afterwards...

Hmm, I've resized my fair share of Windows partitions in dual-boot Linux boxes, never once had a problem getting Windows to work afterwards... Just run grub-update afterwards to make it point to the right place, and everything should work as intended.

Now, I have no idea if there's any command like grub-update when it comes to the boot manager Apple uses, but if there is, Winclone doesn't really seem that necessary...

ZBoater
Jun 25, 2012, 05:01 PM
... make it point to the right place, and everything should work as intended.

Should. If it was that easy the interwebz wouldn't be littered with horror stories about resizing Bootcamp partitions. Winclone just works. :cool:

Moshe1010
Jun 25, 2012, 05:03 PM
Use VM, Bootcamp sucks

ZBoater
Jun 25, 2012, 05:15 PM
Use VM, Bootcamp sucks

Ummmm, Bootcamp runs Windows better than a VM ever will. It doesn't suck if you know what you're doing... :rolleyes:

Moshe1010
Jun 25, 2012, 06:58 PM
Ummmm, Bootcamp runs Windows better than a VM ever will. It doesn't suck if you know what you're doing... :rolleyes:
It's working great for me (8GB RAM).

Kaemon
Jun 25, 2012, 07:36 PM
It's working great for me (8GB RAM).

Yeah go ahead and try and play a game on that. Good luck.

schopaia
Jun 25, 2012, 07:57 PM
I'm seeing comments recommending 20 and 30GB installs. I'm wondering if these guys have boot camp at all.

Initially, I tried the minimum install. As soon as I got up and running I was getting 'low disk space' warnings. Then I tried 30GB, which seemed like a good size, but once I installed one (rather large) program (autodesk revit) I was out of space again.

Finally I set it to 50GB which is enough for a few large programs and some space for files. I would't recommend going any lower.

Moshe1010
Jun 25, 2012, 07:59 PM

The only place I play games is in my bedroom.

ZBoater
Jun 25, 2012, 08:47 PM

Games play fine, even on 4GB of RAM. What specifically are you complaining about? :confused:

----------

Finally I set it to 50GB which is enough for a few large programs and some space for files. I would't recommend going any lower.

That's what mine is set up at, and it seems like a decent size. With Parallels you can have all your data on the Mac partition, which has the added bonus of being backed up with Time Machine.

Kaemon
Jun 25, 2012, 11:40 PM
Games play fine, even on 4GB of RAM. What specifically are you complaining about? :confused:[COLOR="#808080"]
[QUOTE=Moshe1010;15124504]The only place I play games is in my bedroom.

I'm not talking about the RAM, or anything like that. But the benefit of using Windows primarily would be for games, and the fact is a VM won't get the performance that directly booting into it will. Thats what I mean.

Moshe1010
Jun 25, 2012, 11:46 PM
[QUOTE=ZBoater;15124781]Games play fine, even on 4GB of RAM. What specifically are you complaining about? :confused:[COLOR="#808080"]

I'm not talking about the RAM, or anything like that. But the benefit of using Windows primarily would be for games, and the fact is a VM won't get the performance that directly booting into it will. Thats what I mean.

I don't know about games because I don't use WIN for that purpose. I like VM because it gives me the opportunity to run OSX and WIN at the same time, and I can change between the windows instantly.

Scuba629
Jun 26, 2012, 08:30 AM
I set it at 75. Guess I'll reformat if I have to.

Bob Coxner
Jun 26, 2012, 04:41 PM
I'm seeing comments recommending 20 and 30GB installs. I'm wondering if these guys have boot camp at all.

Initially, I tried the minimum install. As soon as I got up and running I was getting 'low disk space' warnings. Then I tried 30GB, which seemed like a good size, but once I installed one (rather large) program (autodesk revit) I was out of space again.

I have bootcamp on a 13" 2011 MBA, Win 7 Pro SP 1 with all updates current. Only a couple of games installed, including Civ 3. No other huge programs. I set the Windows partition at 40gb. I now have 19.5gb free. So, yes, you can get by with a very minimal install at 20gb, although 30 is probably as low as I would go, at least for Win 7 Pro. I have no idea what Ultimate or any of the other Win variants would require. There are also slipstream Windows installs that are much smaller than the normal install. They leave off things like multiple languages, fonts, etc.