PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Air, iPad 2, iPhone 4

DLG
Jun 25, 2012, 08:51 AM
I am considering buying a Macbook Air and wanted some feedback about your usage of each device.

I find that my iPhone 4 and iPad 2 overlap to the point where I don't need to use my iPad 2. I prefer using a laptop over the iPad because I find things that I do on the phone are redundant on the Ipad 2. Having two iOS devices seems overkill...do you feel that way?

Do you find the combination of a iPhone and laptop "work" better then the iPhone, iPad combination? I am not finding that I need to pick up my iPad when I get home when my iPhone does the job...do you? Any "heavy duty" work could be directed to the Air.

Thanks for your replies and comments.

Dan

JMountainDew
Jun 25, 2012, 09:01 AM
Sure, there is a fair amount of overlap, but that's what I like about having the various devices. Plus, everything syncs. There are a couple things, however, that I am glad to use my iPad over my iPhone, namely, to read books and to surf the web. And yes, there are tasks that require the macbook over the iPad. IMO, all three make for a perfect combination.

kobyh15
Jun 25, 2012, 09:04 AM
I think it's different for everyone. I have a 4S, iPad 3, and Pro 13" and I feel all have their certain jobs and really would never get rid of any one of them. I use my phone on the go, my iPad for web browsing, PDF viewing, and note taking with Penultimate, and the Pro for creating word and PowerPoint documents. I also connect the Pro to an external monitor for viewing multiple PowerPoint and word documents at a time. Each device has a job in my workflow. That may not be the case for you, however.

jojoba
Jun 25, 2012, 09:08 AM
My workflow is like this:

My iPad primarily gets used for reading and making up pdfs (which I do a lot for work), and for note taking. Due to the combination of long battery life, 3G and stylus input, I find it superior for these purposes, and it acts as my main portable device. I also use it for emails, web browsing, and so on. I have an external keyboard that I bring along on days I know I will be writing a lot.

My MBA 13" is used for more serious content creation (I'm a researcher so write a lot of papers and organise large amounts of data as part of my work). The added screen value and ability to multi task and so on make the MBA better for this kind of work.

My smart phone (not iPhone, though) is used for checking emails and transportation on the go, as well as taking some quick/short notes. I don't find I use my phone for much more than that, due to the small screen.

aleni
Jun 25, 2012, 09:22 AM
I have n iphone 4s, the new ipad, and the 2012 11" ultimate air connected to thunderbolt display when at work. My ipad gets the least use other than watching movies.

comatose81
Jun 25, 2012, 09:39 AM
The iPad is the only device out of these that is disposable. There is nothing it does that another device cannot do. It's main advantage is battery life and ease of use for many things (browsing, note-taking). But, when your wife wants one, you say "No" at your own peril. :)

My plan for usage is:

iPhone 4S - basically everything except for working and creating serious documents, mostly for calendar/tasks, organization, communication, turn-by-turn GPS, music
iPad - some game playing, extensive browsing, movies when traveling
Macbook Air 11" - working at home and on the go, creating Word/Excel/PowerPoint documents, casual gaming, document management, photo management, movie creation, anything that requires a lot of typing (e-mails, browsing for something specific that requires multiple attempts, filling out forms, etc)

I wouldn't get rid of the iPad, because it does some things really well, but it is definitely a luxury device, not a necessity. I would never rely on an iPhone/iPad combination. Gotta have a true laptop available.

Boyd01
Jun 25, 2012, 10:34 AM
I have a 13" MBA that I use with a 23" Apple Cinema Display at home. I also have an iPhone 4. I am really not interested in the iPad, although I gave one to my daughter when they first came out, and my 2-1/2 year old granddaughter is a whiz on it. :)

SlickShoes
Jun 25, 2012, 10:59 AM
I have a MBP, iPhone and iPad, sadly my iPad has not been used for around 2 months now because of the overlap, it was GREAT when I was travelling but now that I am at home with both my phone and laptop working as normal I find there is no need for the iPad other than reading books on it and it works out as a pretty expensive ereader.

I will be selling my iPad in the coming months because I feel it is a waste just sitting there.