Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dbit

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2006
I've been looking for reasonably affordable IPS Monitors. I've had a couple of video editors suggest the Dell UltraSharp U2312HM and the HP ZR2440w. The Dell is a little more in my price range, but doing further research I've found that they are both very similar (maybe actually identical LG panel) 6 bit A-FRC panels that use frame/pixel averaging to achieve their colors.

I've also found that it's incredibly difficult to find any true 8-bit IPS panels in the $250-$400 price range.

Can anybody help me out and tell me if, in this range, the 6 bit is still a good monitor? I've heard the newer eIPS technologies have gotten much better with dealing with banding and other issues that may arise. Are there actually any 8 bit panels in my price range anyways? (hoping to spend a max of $300 for the monitors, though I would go a bit higher if necessary).

Also, what are your opinions of 16:9 vs 16:10?

Any and all help is much appreciated!

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
The only thing the computer monitor should be used for is displaying the GUI so as long as the monitor doesn't cause eye strain it should be fine.

Lethal

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
Watch out for the lower-priced IPS panels. I'm using a 24" Dell IPS monitor, and there is noticeable (for me) dot crawl and what appears to be horizontally-interleaved pixel interlacing. I think that's to simulate the full 16 million colors on a 6-bit panel. It's probably not noticeable to most people, but it bugs me. If I was using this monitor for video work, it would really annoy me.

This monitor also flashes the LEDs for the backlight rather than dimming them which, at certain brightness levels, makes for a strobing pattern for certain fast-moving objects (including my mouse pointer!). Like this:

< < < (blank) < < < (blank) < < <

In short, if you can TRY a monitor before you buy it, DO SO. I'm lucky this is only my work-provided monitor and not one that I paid money for.

WRP

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Boston
While none will be color accurate I think the Dell U2410 is best bang for the buck. I use the U2711 on my home suite and the 24's here at work.

dbit

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2006
I've been reading lots and lots of reviews on the Dell and couldn't avoid the fact that they hit my price point for dual monitor. Many people loved them, although the complaints like the ones aarond mentioned are definitely out there. I think they will be an upgrade from my current monitors without question (old budget LG tn panels). I had to go with (x2) 23 inch as I needed twins and I can't afford (x2) 24 inch panels, but I've only ever owned 16:9 so far, so I'm not too worried about that. Unfortunately there are no local stores near me that carried any of these current budget IPS panels (dell, hp, lg, etc), so I just had to purchase them, which I did direct from Dell. Hopefully I'll like them, but if not at least I won't be dealing with newegg's bizarre LCD return policy.

WRP

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Boston
You'll like 'em! :D

7382218822_9e7bb1e64b_z.jpg

dbit

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2006
Clean desk! Nice pic. Reminds me of some of my views working onsite in Chicago.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
P-IPS is better. But not in that price range. Save up a bit and go for a NEC Spectraview Reference 271 or Eizo CG275. Both awesome monitors with 8 Bit look up tables I believe. I'm a bit down on Dell due to my PC experiences.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.