Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikethewxguy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2007
Greetings,

I am trying to clarify some shipping details, as I am US Military stationed overseas and apple (and now USPS) will not ship things with a lithium battery overseas. My only choice is to use an "APO BOX" service to my APO address here in Germany.

Can somebody tell me:

What is the exact weight and size (dimensions) of the MBA box (13"/8GB if possible) shipped from the Apple online store?

Thanks for any and all help!

Mike

Smartie

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
Greetings,

I am trying to clarify some shipping details, as I am US Military stationed overseas and apple (and now USPS) will not ship things with a lithium battery overseas. My only choice is to use an "APO BOX" service to my APO address here in Germany.

Can somebody tell me:

What is the exact weight and size (dimensions) of the MBA box (13"/8GB if possible) shipped from the Apple online store?

Thanks for any and all help!

Mike

The box I get from UPS today weighs in at 3.1 kg. I've ordered the 13" model with 8gb

mikethewxguy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2007
Thanks Smartie....if you don't mind possibly measuring the shipping box once you get your MBA (of course after you have played with it for a bit!) I would very much appreciate it!

Smartie

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
Thanks Smartie....if you don't mind possibly measuring the shipping box once you get your MBA (of course after you have played with it for a bit!) I would very much appreciate it!

Just got it. Havent played with it yet... dimensions are 43 x 34 x 12 centimeters. Give or take a millimeter here or there I guess is OK. Hope you are familiar with the metric system, if not I hope you find a good translator for your needs.

Sarmiento

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2011
I'm in the same boat. I understood we couldn't even use APO Box Service because they ship it via USPS as well.

I ordered my laptop and had it delivered to a friend that is going home for a week and then bring it to me when they fly back.

mikethewxguy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2007
Sarmiento

What "APO BOX" will do is send it via FedEx...you have to give them the dimensions/weight/value and they will then give you a quote.

I have a feeling it is going to be too expensive in the long run, but I'll let you know when they reply back to me with the quote.

It's either that or buy it locally (with a VAT form) or buy it at the BX and get only the 4GB version...I'm leaning toward that last option (whenever the Ramstein BX gets the 2012's) but I really wanted the 8GB version, which they probably won't offer at the BX.

----------

Just got it. Havent played with it yet... dimensions are 43 x 34 x 12 centimeters. Give or take a millimeter here or there I guess is OK. Hope you are familiar with the metric system, if not I hope you find a good translator for your needs.

Smartie - Many thanks for the quick reply...again, much appreciated!

Sarmiento

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2011
Good to know. I didn't know they can do FedEx but its too late now. It's already at my friends parent's house. Will take a little longer but I will have it in a couple more weeks.

I ordered the 2.0/8 GB/256 MBA myself.

1BadMac

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
The box I get from UPS today weighs in at 3.1 kg. I've ordered the 13" model with 8gb

Interesting. Ordered the same one here and it was 2.95 kg. Guess it's not THAT much of a difference, but still you would think it would be consistent.

Or maybe I got the Air-lite, with the super secret rumored .15 kg lighter prototype processor.

:D

Smartie

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
Interesting. Ordered the same one here and it was 2.95 kg. Guess it's not THAT much of a difference, but still you would think it would be consistent.

Or maybe I got the Air-lite, with the super secret rumored .15 kg lighter prototype processor.

:D

I didn't weight it myself, it was listed as 3,1 kg by UPS. Perhaps they weigh them in at a bit more than it is to earn some extra cash. You might be on to something... :) Did you weigh your package yourself?

1BadMac

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
Mine came with a "2.95 kg" sticker on the side, that is what I was referring to. I did not weigh to confirm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.