Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

garstudios

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
I am about to purchase a new macbook air for my mother. i am going to get the maxed out 13" with the 512gb storage. She needs windows for quicken, or at least for now she would like me to install windows along side lion (its more of a comfort thing). From what i have read everybody is running their quicken pc version through parallels and its working fine, so i may go that route first. I just wanted to make sure that there arent any problems with partitioning the ssd/flashstorage in half. so one half is windows and the other half is lion. I currently run both windows and lion on my macbook pro, but i am not using an ssd and i have windows installed on a second internal optibay hard drive. So i have never dealt with them being on the same drive, and especially not on the same ssd.

I know alot of people just partition one drive for both operating systems, but i was more worried about conflicts with how each operating system handles an SSD when its shared, such as with trim and so forth. sorry i dont know much about all that, but i have been looking into upgrading all my stuff to SSDs so ive been running into concerns elsewhere and im bringing those concerns here just so i cover all the bases before i spend her money....

so if anybody is doing it this way and says its working out good, then i guess that good.

thanks

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
It's easy. Just use Boot Camp Assistant, which is in the Utilities folder. I use Quicken for Windows, as well. Note that Macs officially support only Windows 7. If it's just Quicken, I'd give Windows about 32GB. That should be enough to install Windows 7, Quicken, and still have some room left over. If you want more Windows programs, give Windows a bigger partition.

There is a whole forum for Windows on Mac here. Check it out for more information.

As for conflicts, Apple's Boot Camp drivers addresses everything. When you boot into Windows, it's like you have a native Windows PC. The Boot Camp drivers for the 2012 Macs support TRIM for the SSD.

garstudios

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
It's easy. Just use Boot Camp Assistant, which is in the Utilities folder. I use Quicken for Windows, as well. Note that Macs officially support only Windows 7. If it's just Quicken, I'd give Windows about 32GB. That should be enough to install Windows 7, Quicken, and still have some room left over. If you want more Windows programs, give Windows a bigger partition.

There is a whole forum for Windows on Mac here. Check it out for more information.

As for conflicts, Apple's Boot Camp drivers addresses everything. When you boot into Windows, it's like you have a native Windows PC. The Boot Camp drivers for the 2012 Macs support TRIM for the SSD.

thats what i thought, i was just wanting someone elses word, besides my own before i order. like i said i run windows on my mbp but its on a separate hard drive then lion. i thought i would need it, but i never use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.