PDA

View Full Version : Pop 2011 13" MBA SSD into 2012 MBA

unixunderground
Jun 25, 2012, 07:13 PM
Hi,

The screen on my 2011 13" MBA recently got cracked in an accidental drop, and since I really don't want to bother replacing it since screen aside it got scratched up pretty much everywhere falling off the airplane's stairs (and I could also use 8GB of ram [the old one had 4GB]), I was wondering whether or not I would be able to pop into the new 2012 MBA my old SSD , and have everything working as before, but just faster (Ivy bridge,HD4000,8GB ram), without any issues..

PS:The SSD itself is not damaged, and even if the old mac is seriously ********* up, it still works smoothly , screen and cosmetic damage all over it aside.

Thanks in advance!

Moshe1010
Jun 25, 2012, 07:16 PM
There is only one SSD place in MBA, you can't run 2 SSD drives. Call Apple Store near you and ask them if they can copy the data from the old SSD to the new one. The new SSD is faster than whatever you have right now, so downgrading would make no sense.

Stetrain
Jun 25, 2012, 07:20 PM
Nope. The 2012 MBA has a slightly different connector (more pins) than the 2011 models. The SSDs are not compatible.

You could order one of these:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MAU3ENVOY/

And then pop your 2011 SSD into the enclosure and copy everything to your new MBA via USB 3.

kodeman53
Jun 25, 2012, 07:26 PM
The screen on my 2011 13" MBA recently got cracked in an accidental drop, and since I really don't want to bother replacing it since screen aside it got scratched up pretty much everywhere falling off the airplane's stairs (and I could also use 8GB of ram [the old one had 4GB]), I was wondering whether or not I would be able to pop into the new 2012 MBA my old SSD , and have everything working as before, but just faster (Ivy bridge,HD4000,8GB ram), without any issues..

PS:The SSD itself is not damaged, and even if the old mac is seriously ********* up, it still works smoothly , screen and cosmetic damage all over it aside.
Just back it up to an external drive and restore it to your 2012 MBA. Not a complicated process.