PDA

View Full Version : Magsafe2 vs Original Magsafe

christophermdia
Jun 25, 2012, 11:01 PM
Got the new 2012 MBA as a replacement for my 2011 MBA...unfortunately since the dimensions are identical, I just wish they wouldnt have gone to this Magsafe 2.....or, wish they would have kept the angled connector. When I lay down to do some work and or just browse, I can almost never keep conected because it always falls off....with the angled version it stayed on much much better.....

My temporary solution however is I took my older angled Magsafe and bought the Magsafe to Magsafe2 adapter and while the profile is much bigger, it still gives me the angled effect....this works for the time being until they change it for the next gen MacBooks.....

FrankHahn
Jun 25, 2012, 11:15 PM
That's a pretty good solution!

3goldens
Jun 26, 2012, 05:17 PM
It is unfortunate that Apple did not have the foresight to see this would be a problem.

As always people are trying to fix crap that ain'nt broken. Should ave stayed with what worked even if they slimmed it down. Bet in next update we see angled connector reappear!

mikeytrend
Jun 26, 2012, 05:34 PM
It is unfortunate that Apple did not have the foresight to see this would be a problem.

As always people are trying to fix crap that ain'nt broken. Should ave stayed with what worked even if they slimmed it down. Bet in next update we see angled connector reappear!

If you dislike when people fix things that aren't broken you should probably consider weaning yourself off of Apple haha.

As for the "L" style connector, it replaced the "T" style connector because the "T" style connector was fraying.

Now they're going back to it because the "L" style connector doesn't really do what Apple intended the MagSafe chargers to do. It's a lot harder to pull out and with a lightweight MBA, it means your laptop is going to end up on the floor when you trip over the cord. Really they're just looking out for you, but it does mean that your charger is going to have a looser connection. One day you might appreciate that.

3goldens
Jun 27, 2012, 12:08 AM
If you dislike when people fix things that aren't broken you should probably consider weaning yourself off of Apple haha.

As for the "L" style connector, it replaced the "T" style connector because the "T" style connector was fraying.

Now they're going back to it because the "L" style connector doesn't really do what Apple intended the MagSafe chargers to do. It's a lot harder to pull out and with a lightweight MBA, it means your laptop is going to end up on the floor when you trip over the cord. Really they're just looking out for you, but it does mean that your charger is going to have a looser connection. One day you might appreciate that.

doubt it, never happened and never will. I bought all angled adapters and threw the one that came with it in the closet.

I wonder if I could actually shave a few mm's of s/s off the sides of these mag safe 1's adapters and make them fit with the new airs? MIght give it a try, who knows it just might work.

mikeray
Jun 27, 2012, 02:47 AM
MagSafe 2 is cute!

PhazonUK
Jun 27, 2012, 05:05 AM
I understand that the L connector didn't really pull out very well, but I still wish they had stuck with it. Much preferred the L connector over the T connector.

tigres
Jun 27, 2012, 05:51 AM
I find the new connector to be a lot less magnetized. Weaker at the hold, so to speak.

I too prefer to previous MagSafe 1.

KohPhiPhi
Jun 27, 2012, 06:13 AM
Much preferred the L connector over the T connector.

From the feedback I have read on the forums, pretty much everyone prefers the L shaped to the T shaped connector :(

dcorban
Jun 27, 2012, 08:42 AM
I vastly prefer the T and there were several other posters in the other thread(s) in agreement.

dyn
Jun 27, 2012, 09:10 AM
When I lay down to do some work and or just browse, I can almost never keep conected because it always falls off....with the angled version it stayed on much much better.....

The entire idea behind the magsafe was to let go when you put tension on it to save your notebook. By doing so it prevented that the notebook got dragged down with the wire whenever somebody tripped over it or it got caught behind something. Worked fine with the first connector, then Apple ruined it because some people felt it needed "fixing". The new L-connector turned out to be just like the plugs in the pre-magsafe era: when you tripped over the wire it would drag the notebook to the floor instead of disconnect. You can actually lift up the notebook by the poweradapters wire! That magsafe connector did not do what was advertised. Luckily Apple has now fixed this glitch and the connector disconnects when you trip over the wire.

There seems to be a bit of a problem: this system was designed to save the notebook whenever the wire gets caught behind something or somebody trips over it. That means it needs to let go very easily. This also means that it will let go at times when you don't want it like when moving the notebook a little bit. If you would make it less easy to disconnect this causes the problem that it won't let go when you trip over the wire. I think holding on to the connector when you move around is a much better solution than changing the connector back to that L-connector. You get the easy to disconnect connector and you can control when it shouldn't do that. You won't get either of them with the L-connector.

Btw, if you look at the advertising of the magsafe connector and then imagine that you can lift up the notebook with the poweradapter wire you probably can guess what will happen when a notebook gets dragged down to the floor and is broken -> law suite because the connector didn't do what was advertised.

Creek0512
Jun 27, 2012, 10:00 AM
I like that the MagSafe2 breaks away with almost no effort. The Air's light weight doesn't provide for a very large frictional force to prevent it from being pulled to the floor, and the connector needs to break away at an even smaller force. The result is that if youíre moving your notebook while the power adapter is connected it should disconnect the connector if there is any tension in the cable, which the power brick itself will generally provide enough tension to do if your cable is stretched out.

Iíve found this isnít the case with the ďLĒ connector on my previous older MacBook. I can move my notebook and drag the power brick with it and the cable stays connected to the notebook. This is not how the MagSafe connector is supposed to work.

In general, I would much rather deal with the inconvenience of my power adapter disconnecting inadvertently every now and then, than having my $1000+ notebook dragged to the floor, regardless if it gets damaged or not.