PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone get the new 11" fully loaded?

Magpie-23
Jun 26, 2012, 11:03 AM
I noticed that if you get the new 11" with:

2GHz i7
8GB RAM
512GB Flash

you end up spending nearly as much as a base rMBP?

Has anyone out there been prepared to get this spec for that price and if so how's it working out for you?

As an owner of a 2011 11" with a piddly 64GB Flash and 2GB RAM (not my main machine) I think a 11' with this top spec would be one hell of a machine. Throw in a 27" TB display and it could be (nearly) perfect. But for that price? Any takers?

hrl
Jun 26, 2012, 11:11 AM
I'd only consider those specs if:

1. have a thunderbolt display
2. my only Mac
3. dislike carrying an external storage

Monkeyat
Jun 26, 2012, 11:25 AM
I've just change my MacBook Pro 13" mid-2009 for a fully loaded 11". And I can say to you : it's a great machine !!! Performance is awesome !!! Battery life is very fine for this size of computer and my needs. I have to carry my computer around all day long... 5 days a week... so I'm VERY glad having a computer that's weight 1 Kg !

I'm surfing on the web since 2 hours now and I have 76% battery that indicates over 5 hours yet :cool:

The 512 Gb SSD was VERY expensive but regarding the OWC disks I thought it wasn't overpriced from Apple. So I've got it just to keep cool as I'll have to work with this computer for 3 or 4 years. I don't want to regret not getting the best configuration I could. And as I had 2K to spend...

I was just looking to the lighter and fastest computer I could buy with 2K and that was the new 11" Air. It's beautiful, it's light, it's powerful for my needs ! I'm just very happy with my choice as you can see... :D

Epic Xbox Revie
Jun 26, 2012, 11:29 AM
I didn't get the SSD, but went for the upgraded processor and RAM. Runs beautifully.

tdhurst
Jun 26, 2012, 11:33 AM
This first two, yes.

But in no way can I justify spending $500+ (may have been $700) for a 512gb ssd.

Monkeyat
Jun 26, 2012, 11:40 AM
This first two, yes.

But in no way can I justify spending $500+ (may have been $700) for a 512gb ssd.

That depends on your needs! I was searching to a VERY light solution. So, no point in getting a light 11" computer but have to take an external disk all the time... that's the reason I've got the 512 SSD. And again, the OWC 480 Gb solution is $795. So Apple's price was correct IMHO.

Even more, with this battery performance, I won't even have to take my Magsafe charger either :rolleyes:

mattopotamus
Jun 26, 2012, 11:43 AM
just so you know...most of the stores have the i7/8/256 in stock, which is $1649 before tax i believe with the student discount.....big difference from the retina

KoukiFC3S
Jun 26, 2012, 11:44 AM
I stopped at 256GB.

It is a wonderful machine. I would have no problems using it as my main computer.

just so you know...most of the stores have the i7/8/256 in stock, which is $1649 before tax i believe with the student discount.....big difference from the retina

That's before the discount. :) I think I saved another $104 from that price. (My gf is still a student) Apple care was also $66 cheaper.

tdhurst
Jun 26, 2012, 11:44 AM
That depends on your needs! I was searching to a VERY light solution. So, no point in getting a light 11" computer but have to take an external disk all the time... that's the reason I've got the 512 SSD. And again, the OWC 480 Gb solution is $795. So Apple's price was correct IMHO.

Even more, with this battery performance, I won't even have to take my Magsafe charger either :rolleyes:

No no, I (myself) can't justify spending that much on storage. If you're looking to eliminate anything external, it makes sense.

But I'm a writer. Nothing I do requires a ton of disk space anyway.

Reha
Jun 26, 2012, 12:07 PM
I did! It is my main computer and I'm into video, photo, and a little audio production. I figured 256gb won't be enough in the long run. I also invested in AppleCare and the SuperDrive so I'm hoping the investment is worth it.

I would not consider the 512gb for general use though. 256 gb should be plenty for Internet, email, text, iTunes and iPhoto.

tdhurst
Jun 26, 2012, 12:11 PM
I did! It is my main computer and I'm into video, photo, and a little audio production. I figured 256gb won't be enough in the long run. I also invested in AppleCare and the SuperDrive so I'm hoping the investment is worth it.

I would not consider the 512gb for general use though. 256 gb should be plenty for Internet, email, text, iTunes and iPhoto.

With iTunes Match and very minimal video (plus a c2d Mac Mini connected to six hard drives), 128 ssd is enough for me!

mikeray
Jun 26, 2012, 12:15 PM

I got the maxed out 11" and am so happy I did! Performance is great. I can hook it up to my 27" cinema display if I want more screen real estate.

The fans have only kicked in high when it was compiling.

I got the 512 ssd because I just did not want to think about space concerns. I like to dj and have a large mp3 collection. If you are hesitant to go with that, the ssd is the only upgradable component so you could wait a year or two until prices are more reasonable to get a larger ssd.

But I definitely recommend maxing out the processor/ram.

Reha
Jun 26, 2012, 12:43 PM
With iTunes Match and very minimal video (plus a c2d Mac Mini connected to six hard drives), 128 ssd is enough for me!

Good for you, and you just reinforced my argument. ;) Unless you have a second computer with 6 hard drives and everything else in the cloud, the bigger SSD makes sense. Adobe CS6 and Ableton live with plugins, samples and loops is probably already close to 128 GB, plus render files use a lot of hard drive too.

The 512GB is VERY expensive, yes, but it was worth it to me

rscott505
Jun 26, 2012, 01:38 PM
I ordered my fully loaded 11" macbook air last week, and am waiting for it to be delivered. There was a delay in the shipping date, which had me bummed out.

As for why I ordered the fully maxed out version, in 2010, I got the 128 GB SSD, and found I was running out of room. In 2011, I got the 256 SSD and found that I was running out of room. Now, with 512 GB, I am hoping that this will address my concerns.

I use my macbook air as my main machine. We have an iMac at home, which holds all of our iTunes movies and photos, but that computer serves as a server of sorts. My macbook air is where I do my video and photo editing. With a photo library of nearly 12,000 pictures, I had 85 GB of storage left on the 256. I know that seems like a lot, but I am taking more and more pictures and with more megapixels in the newer cameras as well as using a digital SLR, the space gets eaten up quickly. All that is the long way of saying that for my needs, I can never have enough storage space and since I love the form factor of the 11" macbook air, I maxed it out.

I'll let you know how it performs, when I get it.

goinskiing
Jun 26, 2012, 03:34 PM

This is the exact machine I am getting tomorrow. My Apple store has them in stock as well.

I bought the 2011 13" i5 128GB, but decided since I already have the 27" iMac that the 11" will fit my needs perfectly and with a big performance boost to boot! I just love the MacBook Airs, they are surprisingly powerful. I use mine for field editing my Canon 5D MkII RAW files in the field.

bpd115
Jun 26, 2012, 03:34 PM
Nice....hope it meets your needs. I went with the 13" 8gig 128. I'm interested to hear how it performs with a photo library that size. What are you using? iPhoto? Aperture?

goinskiing
Jun 26, 2012, 03:35 PM
I ordered my fully loaded 11" macbook air last week, and am waiting for it to be delivered. There was a delay in the shipping date, which had me bummed out.

As for why I ordered the fully maxed out version, in 2010, I got the 128 GB SSD, and found I was running out of room. In 2011, I got the 256 SSD and found that I was running out of room. Now, with 512 GB, I am hoping that this will address my concerns.

I use my macbook air as my main machine. We have an iMac at home, which holds all of our iTunes movies and photos, but that computer serves as a server of sorts. My macbook air is where I do my video and photo editing. With a photo library of nearly 12,000 pictures, I had 85 GB of storage left on the 256. I know that seems like a lot, but I am taking more and more pictures and with more megapixels in the newer cameras as well as using a digital SLR, the space gets eaten up quickly. All that is the long way of saying that for my needs, I can never have enough storage space and since I love the form factor of the 11" macbook air, I maxed it out.

I'll let you know how it performs, when I get it.

I use my iMac for storing all of my Aperture library, now sitting around 550GB :eek:. The MBA serves as the in-between step.

mikeytrend
Jun 26, 2012, 03:42 PM
The 8GB RAM was a definite, the i7 was added because of the gains the 11" (~20%) gets with it compared to the 13" (~5%).

To add 384 GB, you end up paying $2.08 per GB, and the upgrade cost is 80% of the base system.

I don't mind having multiple computers so for now I'm using my MBP as more of a desktop solution which I'll eventually replace with an iMac (If/When they come out) which will do some of the heavier lifting/storing like for my photos/videos/music.

brownricetofu
Jun 26, 2012, 04:15 PM
Oooh super torn on whether to get fully loaded 11" or 13" air. Leaning towards the 13" as I can stick in a 128gig SD card if I need more storage. Need at least 512 HD as I have a ton of uncompressed music...

11" is very sexy but i think it is too similar to my ipad in terms of screen size and I will enjoy having a little bit of extra room to play with on the 13" when I'm traveling. 90% of the time though it will be in clam shell mode hooked up to an external monitor...

hempcamp
Jun 26, 2012, 04:26 PM
I got the almost-fully-loaded config offered in the Apple Store (i7/256/8). It's a beast that handles everything I've thrown at it so far -- leaps and bounds more capable than my old MacBook 2010 2.3/128 SSD/8.

I've got VMs running of Chrome (just for laughs) and Ubuntu (and soon Win 7 - Win 8 doesn't work on install for some reason), tested out Call of Duty 4 (although I don't really know how to play this game I decided to test it anyway), Civ V (a favorite) runs beautifully. Really spectacular performance from something so tiny.

Also worth nothing with four finger swipe between apps and full-screen apps, it's really not an issue at all to only have 11" of real estate. I keep Safari and Mail in full screens and swipe between them, with my chat windows and Pandora and such hanging out on the main desktop. I put the dock to the left of the screen rather than the bottom (hardly use the dock anyway - spotlight launch most of my apps).

tim100
Jul 5, 2012, 10:27 PM
how hot does i7 11 inch mba run?

rygamble
Jul 5, 2012, 10:51 PM
I got the almost-fully-loaded config offered in the Apple Store (i7/256/8). It's a beast that handles everything I've thrown at it so far -- leaps and bounds more capable than my old MacBook 2010 2.3/128 SSD/8.

I've got VMs running of Chrome (just for laughs) and Ubuntu (and soon Win 7 - Win 8 doesn't work on install for some reason), tested out Call of Duty 4 (although I don't really know how to play this game I decided to test it anyway), Civ V (a favorite) runs beautifully. Really spectacular performance from something so tiny.

Also worth nothing with four finger swipe between apps and full-screen apps, it's really not an issue at all to only have 11" of real estate. I keep Safari and Mail in full screens and swipe between them, with my chat windows and Pandora and such hanging out on the main desktop. I put the dock to the left of the screen rather than the bottom (hardly use the dock anyway - spotlight launch most of my apps).

If you're into using gestures, you can also do the 3 finger + thumb thing to just pull up all of your apps.

tdhurst
Jul 5, 2012, 11:10 PM
Good for you, and you just reinforced my argument. ;) Unless you have a second computer with 6 hard drives and everything else in the cloud, the bigger SSD makes sense. Adobe CS6 and Ableton live with plugins, samples and loops is probably already close to 128 GB, plus render files use a lot of hard drive too.

The 512GB is VERY expensive, yes, but it was worth it to me

Sure, but those six hard drives cost less than one 512 SSD upgrade.

And no, I'm not doing any design or music creation.

dmelgar
Jul 5, 2012, 11:35 PM
I bought a 2012 11" 2.0/8/256. The stores carry it.

Awesome fast. But I couldn't sell my 2010 11" 1.6/4/128 (ultimate for its time) machine without a huge drop in value, down 55% from original value. I've seen folks on eBay pay more for a base machine ($700) than the ultimate ($635). It boggles the mind.

I'm afraid the upgrades lose their value, especially SSD over time. In 2 yrs the 2012 ultimate ($1650) may not be worth much more than the base ($999) model. Ouch.

So I ended up returning the 2012 and sticking w my 2010 for the time being. And when I buy, I'm leaning towards getting whatever the base model is and flip it in a year.

tdhurst
Jul 5, 2012, 11:59 PM
how hot does i7 11 inch mba run?

Like...at a standstill or running...something?

tim100
Jul 6, 2012, 08:33 PM
what are the temperatures for the i7 vs i5?

Abazigal
Jul 6, 2012, 09:21 PM
Despite its supposedly reduced footprint, the rmbp still feels very heavy and cumbersome to me. I can certainly see the allure of an ultraportable and powerful workstation. That said, I am still very satisfied with my iMac + iPad combo for now, and see no room for a laptop in my line of work. :p

mattopotamus
Jul 7, 2012, 06:31 AM
I bought a 2012 11" 2.0/8/256. The stores carry it.

Awesome fast. But I couldn't sell my 2010 11" 1.6/4/128 (ultimate for its time) machine without a huge drop in value, down 55% from original value. I've seen folks on eBay pay more for a base machine ($700) than the ultimate ($635). It boggles the mind.

I'm afraid the upgrades lose their value, especially SSD over time. In 2 yrs the 2012 ultimate ($1650) may not be worth much more than the base ($999) model. Ouch.

So I ended up returning the 2012 and sticking w my 2010 for the time being. And when I buy, I'm leaning towards getting whatever the base model is and flip it in a year.

if you flip every year or two the base is a really good idea. If I upgrade 3 years down the road i honestly would be ok with $500 b.c that is just money to put towards a new mac.

rpg51
Jul 7, 2012, 07:40 AM

Curious - the flipping thing is something I do with many things but I have not done it with computers. I am new to macs. With windows machine the task of setting up a new computer was always a major hassle - something I avoided like the plague. Tell me, how hard is it to set up a new Air if you are running last years Air and you want the new Air to be exactly the same as the old air in every respect software wise? I'm thinking about preference settings and plug ins etc. If it is an easy task - I may start getting a new machine every year.

mattopotamus
Jul 7, 2012, 09:32 AM
apple now gives $105 off with educational discount on any of the higher end airs....you may wanna go get a refund if they only gave you $50 off

Higgs1
Jul 7, 2012, 11:32 AM
loving my fully loaded 11" First went with 13 and 256gb hdd but when I decided to exchange for the 11 I said F#!k it and went for the 512 as I have a large iTunes library and prefer to not have to go the external route at this point.

No regrets and am absolutely enamored with the 11" air, so glad i made the switch.

3bs
Jul 7, 2012, 02:28 PM
Upgraded from a maxed out late 2010 11" to a mid 2012 11" and I'm loving it! :D

mikeray
Jul 7, 2012, 04:14 PM
I got the maxed out 11" two weeks ago and couldn't be happier! Fullscreen mode with touch gestures is so fun.

Same specs as my original 2008 unibody macook (8gb ram, 500gb hdd) but the air is so much faster and the hd4000 graphics are a huge improvement!

hfg
Jul 7, 2012, 05:50 PM
Curious - the flipping thing is something I do with many things but I have not done it with computers. I am new to macs. With windows machine the task of setting up a new computer was always a major hassle - something I avoided like the plague. Tell me, how hard is it to set up a new Air if you are running last years Air and you want the new Air to be exactly the same as the old air in every respect software wise? I'm thinking about preference settings and plug ins etc. If it is an easy task - I may start getting a new machine every year.

During the initialization of a new Mac, you will be given the opportunity to clone your new machine from either a TimeMachine backup, or your old machine. You will end up with an exact duplicate of your existing environment (probably running under a newer OS X version) with all your applications, settings, and data intact. Takes about an hour or less (unattended) with a reasonably complex installed system.

I usually find it quickest to use a external USB portable hard drive to do a fresh backup of my old computer, then use that to restore to the new computer during the out-of-the-box setup process.

Much easier than windows!

-howard

rpg51
Jul 7, 2012, 05:54 PM
When I think of all the time and money I spent setting up new computers - or fresh installs of the os in windows it makes me sick.

tim100
Jul 7, 2012, 07:42 PM
how about heat of loaded 11?

KPOM
Jul 7, 2012, 08:06 PM
When I think of all the time and money I spent setting up new computers - or fresh installs of the os in windows it makes me sick.

It's even better if you are migrating from a Thunderbolt or Firewire-equipped Mac to another Thunderbolt or Firewire-equipped Mac. Just connect the two computers together, and boot the old one into Target Disk Mode (reboot it and hold down the T key throughout the process). Your new Mac will see your old Mac as a hard drive. You can then run Migration Assistant from under the Utilities folder in the Applications folder. I migrated from my 2011 to my 2012 MacBook Air in about 20 minutes.

Migrating a Boot Camp partition is a little trickier. You can download a program called Winclone for $20. It will back up your partition onto a large file, which you can then restore onto a new Mac. However, sometimes when migrating to a different type of Mac things don't work correctly. For example, when I migrated my Boot Camp partition from my 2011 to my 2012 MacBook Air, the Boot Camp partition wouldn't recognize the keyboard and trackpad. I had to plug in a USB keyboard and mouse, manually uninstall the old Boot Camp drivers, install the new Boot Camp drivers, and search for hardware using control panel (and of course re-activate, having to use the phone option since I had already activated it on my 2011). It was still a lot easier than having to install everything again, however.

bniu
Jul 7, 2012, 11:32 PM
Upgraded from a maxed out late 2010 11" to a mid 2012 11" and I'm loving it! :D

hmmm, is the Air ur only computer? I'm seriously considering a 11" MBA to serve as a companion to my 17" MBP and am considering whether or not to break my rule of always buying the maxed out model. How is the USB 3.0 performance? I do happen to have two usb 3.0 hard drives that the new air could utilize. USB 2.0 is just way too slow for using with hard drives...

3bs
Jul 8, 2012, 12:39 PM
hmmm, is the Air ur only computer? I'm seriously considering a 11" MBA to serve as a companion to my 17" MBP and am considering whether or not to break my rule of always buying the maxed out model. How is the USB 3.0 performance? I do happen to have two usb 3.0 hard drives that the new air could utilize. USB 2.0 is just way too slow for using with hard drives...

Yes it's my main and only computer. I don't do any photo/video editing or play games so it's good for what I use it for. I got a 64GB Patriot Supersonic Magnum and I'm loving how fast USB 3.0 is!

NewbieCanada
Jul 8, 2012, 12:51 PM
As an owner of a 2011 11" with a piddly 64GB Flash and 2GB RAM (not my main machine) I think a 11' with this top spec would be one hell of a machine. Throw in a 27" TB display and it could be (nearly) perfect. But for that price? Any takers?

Someone buying it with a TB display is clearly planning on mainly using it in one location. They could save $500 and get it with a 256 GB SSD and spend $100 on a 1TB portable USB drive.

People don't really need 512 GB on the go. I got by just fine with a MBA with 128 GB.