PDA

View Full Version : How to know if Macbook is sleeping or just screen off?

ancilla
Jun 26, 2012, 11:58 AM
These MBAs don't have any "on/off" LEDs, and are so silent, that the standard test (listen for the whirring of the computer fan) doesn't work.

So how do I know if my computer is asleep, rather than awake but with the screen off?

I am having battery drain issues and need to figure it out.

Thanks!

RocketRed
Jun 26, 2012, 12:11 PM
These MBAs don't have any "on/off" LEDs, and are so silent, that the standard test (listen for the whirring of the computer fan) doesn't work.

So how do I know if my computer is asleep, rather than awake but with the screen off?

Thanks!

Hit Spacebar.

ancilla
Jun 26, 2012, 01:33 PM
Hit Spacebar.

When I do that, it pops up a screen asking for the password. Does this mean it was sleeping?

theSeb
Jun 26, 2012, 01:38 PM

Thanks!
Go into System Preferences --> Energy Saver
Choose Battery or Power Adaptor depending on what you're using
Set the Computer sleep and Display sleep to be the same. That way you will be sure that the computer is sleeping and not just the display.

RocketRed
Jun 26, 2012, 02:46 PM
When I do that, it pops up a screen asking for the password. Does this mean it was sleeping?

yep.