PDA

View Full Version : Apple Offers New Dedicated Podcast App for iOS

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Jun 26, 2012, 12:33 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/26/apple-offers-new-dedicated-podcast-app-for-ios/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/podcast.png

Earlier this month, it was reported that Apple would be launching a standalone podcast app (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/15/apple-to-launch-standalone-podcast-app-with-ios-6/) in iOS 6. Instead of waiting for the next version of iOS, Apple posted (http://thenextweb.com/apple/2012/06/26/apple-ships-new-standalone-podcasts-app-for-iphone-and-ipad-to-centralize-downloading-and-listening/) the Podcast app on the App Store today. [App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/podcasts/id525463029?mt=8)]
Podcasts app is the easiest way to discover, subscribe to and play your favorite podcasts on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Explore hundreds of thousands of free audio and video podcasts from the Podcasts Catalog, and play the most popular podcasts, organized for you by topic, with the all-new Top Stations feature.

Features:

- Enjoy all of your audio and video podcasts in a single app
- Explore hundreds of thousands of podcasts including shows in over 40 languages
- Try the innovative new Top Stations feature to find new podcast series in a variety of topics, including arts, business, comedy, music, news, sports, and more.
- Browse by Audio or Video podcasts, or see what's most popular in Top Charts
- Tap subscribe for your favorites and automatically receive new episodes for free as they become available
- Stream episodes or download to listen while offline
- Skip forward and back using simple playback controls
- Turn on Sleep Timer to automatically stop playing a podcast while listening in bed
- Share your favorite episodes with friends using Twitter, Messages and Mail
- Optionally sync your favorite episodes from iTunes on your Mac or PC
- Sync your episode playback for seamless transition between deviceshttp://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/podcastscreenie.png

The app supports streaming or downloading of episodes and offers syncing of episode playback between devices. This means that users can, for example, start listening to a podcast on their iPhone and finish on the iPad.

Update: Some users have noticed a redeem button (http://thenextweb.com/apple/2012/06/26/redeem-button-in-new-podcasts-app-for-ios-points-to-possibility-of-paid-podcasts/) within the Podcast app suggesting the possibility of paid podcasts down the line.

Podcasts is a free download for the iPhone and iPad on the App Store. [Direct Link (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/podcasts/id525463029?mt=8)]

Article Link: Apple Offers New Dedicated Podcast App for iOS (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/26/apple-offers-new-dedicated-podcast-app-for-ios/)

SamSmith
Jun 26, 2012, 12:34 PM
Support for podcast subscriptions!!!:D

bstormy
Jun 26, 2012, 12:38 PM
Looks nice overall but not a big fan of the logo...

basesloaded190
Jun 26, 2012, 12:38 PM
And I just bought Downcast! Looks like a very cool and useful app. Will definitely be giving this a go later today.

fishmoose
Jun 26, 2012, 12:39 PM
Very interesting. I don't see anything in the feature list that would make me switch from Downcast cold turkey but I'll check it out of course.

Roessnakhan
Jun 26, 2012, 12:40 PM
Glad that they included features a lot of other podcast apps have (e.g. sleep timer). I have really come to love Downcast though. Especially after Podcaster did their horrible redesign.

rafaltrus
Jun 26, 2012, 12:41 PM
No iPod Touch support makes me sad :(

BlackMamba14
Jun 26, 2012, 12:41 PM
3rd party killer? Will def check it out. Hope its good

thewiccaman
Jun 26, 2012, 12:42 PM
And I just bought Downcast! Looks like a very cool and useful app. Will definitely be giving this a go later today.

Me too :(

Still to check it out - I want to stream podcasts, not download them; my reason for buying Downcast.

Judgement on Apple's offering reserved ...

Update: yes, it does stream as well so it's Podcasts v Downcast ... http://tinyurl.com/7fyzwot

motulist
Jun 26, 2012, 12:43 PM
But does it return the crucial "get more episodes" function that has been absent from the iPad podcast player (music.app)?

Edit:

I just installed it and the answer is yes, but they sure made it hard to find and unintuitive. When you're looking at the window of a specific podcast, you then have to click on a tiny unlabeled gear icon in the upper right hand corner, then you have to turn on the subscribe switch (even though you aren't actually subscribing) - and only then will it show you the list of available episodes, then you have to have the auto-download switch set to off, then you have to close the settings window, and then at the right side of the specific episide you want to download you have to know to click on the unlabeled icon of a downward facing arrow.

I'm not saying this is awful, I mean it works fine once you figure it out, but it's sure not the best design to implement this function.

But other than that the new podcast app seems really great! And I'm a HUGE podcast user, so I know of what I speak.

fishmoose

It works on the third-generation iPod Touch and later.

ipader
Perfect app for ATV or the new AppleTV!

mertyz
Jun 26, 2012, 12:45 PM

It supports 3rd and 4th generation iPod Touches?

Edit: fishmoose beat me to it...

jwdsail
Jun 26, 2012, 12:45 PM
Not sure what to think about this.

Am I the only one concerned that this will ghettoize podcasters and make them less visible..

In iTunes, podcasts and and other "New Media" stood side by side in iTunes with "Old Media"..

This feels like a step backwards to me.

BrianMojo
Jun 26, 2012, 12:46 PM

Am I the only one concerned that this will ghettoize podcasters and make them less visible..

In iTunes, podcasts and and other "New Media" stood side by side in iTunes with "Old Media"..

Bingo.

blow45
Jun 26, 2012, 12:49 PM
Why does everything have to have a separate app, most of us, well, a lot of us have upwards of 150 apps on our iOS devices I don't what good another app is going to do... iTunes as first released on iOS looked just great...anyway bs inconsequential moves by apple that aren't anything to write home about or could even be considered a step back, we should start getting used to them...

polaris20
Jun 26, 2012, 12:49 PM
I LOVE Downcast, but will give this a go. The one thing I've never got working particularly well was the syncing across devices.

If it's a good app, then Downcast has just been Sherlock'd. Hopefully they'll come up with extra stuff to stay relevant. I hate to see third party devs get the shaft when they do such a good job.

yetanotherdave
Jun 26, 2012, 12:50 PM

OR, they feel they can do it beter when it's not fighting for space alongside the latest britney fart.
Podcasts and music are different media, why not seperate them?

[edit] ooh, nice, it automagically gets your existing podcasts from the itunes app.

pavelbure
Jun 26, 2012, 12:51 PM
Downcast offers so many more options. I will be sticking with that for now.

ToomeyND
Jun 26, 2012, 12:52 PM
Why does everything have to have a separate app, most of us, well, a lot of us have upwards of 150 apps on our iOS devices I don't what good another app is going to do... iTunes as first released on iOS looked just great...anyway bs inconsequential moves by apple that aren't anything to write home about or could even be considered a step back, we should start getting used to them...

I wonder if this is a move by Apple to slowly transition to separate apps on the computer. A lot of people complain that iTunes is too bloated, maybe this will allow Apple to break it up and keep it lean.

Rogifan
Jun 26, 2012, 12:52 PM
Is this only for podcasts that are in iTunes? Or can you import your own via URL?

basesloaded190
Jun 26, 2012, 12:53 PM
Is this only for podcasts that are in iTunes? Or can you import your own via URL?

If it's anything like Downcast, you should be able to import a URL

andybrown44
Jun 26, 2012, 12:54 PM
Interesting but doesn't seem to offer automatic downloading of podcasts or iCloud sync between iPhone and iPad, which is bizarre considering it's made by Apple. I think Downcast maker can relax for now...

EDIT: it does support automatic downloads

----------

Nope, it's all based on the iTunes catalogue.

RossMc
Jun 26, 2012, 12:55 PM
I wonder if it automatically downloads new episodes without opening the app?

Rogifan

Well if it's possible I couldn't easily find it. I currently use podcaster but am going to give downcast a try. For $1.99 why not.

robjulo
Does it do automatic updates of podcasts without user intervention? Downcast cannot because of an iOS limitation.

D.T.
Jun 26, 2012, 12:56 PM
Iím another Downcast user who loves it, but Iíll at least give this a look.

3rd party apps from small development shops are usually more feature rich, and the developers are more agile, i.e., quicker updates, faster response to userís requests for features, bug fixes, etc.

Apple seems to be encroaching on several 3rd party markets: Podcast apps, and I understand iOS 6 will have an offline reader feature not unlike Instapaper (of which Iím also a user).

afurry13
bummer, the subscriptions that i have on my mac didn't sync when i launched this app. Also, I'm getting an error message when trying to download video podcasts saying they can't be downloaded at this time. anyone else getting this?

yetanotherdave
It also removes podcasts from the music app

nuckinfutz
The important part here is for Apple to establish Podcasts as a "big deal"

If people have a better experience finding and consuming podcasts it increases the market for them and eventually people will want more features. Enter the 3rd party to fulfill those features.

nagromme

I actually tend to feel the reverse: I think of the iTunes icon for music and movie rentals. I rarely launch it (I tend to buy media from iTunes on my Mac instead) and when I do, Podcasts is a button I almost forget even exists.

Now podcasts will have an icon right on the home screensóI wonít forget that! It will sit in my Audio folder alongside Pandora and others.

Now... for this to REALLY promote podcasts, the app needs to be discoverable. Hopefully iOS 6 gains a button somewhere (in the iTunes app?) to invite a download of this; if not simply pre-installing it.

austinguy23
If I were a podcaster, I'd be worried. Now users have to download a podcasting app if they want to explore podcasts. It's less likely that people will stumble upon podcasts because they won't be integrated into a native iOS app that comes with the iPhone/iPad.

Rogifan
Jun 26, 2012, 12:57 PM
Nope, it's all based on the iTunes catalogue.well then it's coming off my phone. None of the podcasts I listen to are in iTunes.

theonekcrow
Jun 26, 2012, 12:58 PM
It's an interesting option, however I have podcasts in my podcast area of the music app that I didn't get from iTunes. (Aka Older episodes of podcasts that are not Downloadable on iTunes anymore) I wonder if the podcasts like that will be synced to the podcast app or the music app.

FoxMcCloud
Jun 26, 2012, 12:58 PM
I like how this App has its store built in. First iBooks, then iTunes U and now this.

Hopefully it's a sign of things to come and Music app will have its own iTunes store built in, as well as Video app.

motulist
Jun 26, 2012, 12:59 PM
If I were a podcaster, I'd be worried. Now users have to download a podcasting app if they want to explore podcasts. It's less likely that people will stumble upon podcasts because they won't be integrated into a native iOS app that comes with the iPhone/iPad.

On the iPad music/podcast player the podcast section was hidden inside the "more" menu, so I have to imagine that at least on the iPad this'll greatly improve the discoverability of podcasts.

rickdollar
Jun 26, 2012, 12:59 PM
Starting a podcast on the phone and picking up where you left off on the iPad works great. The 30 second forward button is nice too. I like it much better than the standard Music app.

phillipduran
Jun 26, 2012, 01:00 PM
I wonder if this is a move by Apple to slowly transition to separate apps on the computer. A lot of people complain that iTunes is too bloated, maybe this will allow Apple to break it up and keep it lean.

Would make a lot of sense. I hope this is the case

Daveoc64
Jun 26, 2012, 01:01 PM
Terrible UI and it has the usual artificial 50MB download limit over cellular networks.

Porchland
At first glance -- downloading a few podcasts and monkeying around with the UI -- I still way prefer Downcast:

* Global settings with individual settings for individual podcasts.
* Limitation on number of podcasts it keeps.
* Distinguishes downloading vs. streaming.
* Does a great job syncing multiple devices.
* Better UI.

When Apple moves into a space where third-party apps are already doing a great job, Apple needs to raise the bar. They didn't raise the bar.

Vctr

You better believe that the Podcasts app will come standard on future shipping iPhones and iPads.

vtstarck
Jun 26, 2012, 01:02 PM

Siri app launching?

URFloorMatt
Jun 26, 2012, 01:02 PM

In all likelihood, Apple is about to blow up iTunes--though, probably not until next year at the earliest. This completes the move in iOS. iTunes is now only music (and ringtones). Video, books, audio, and apps have all been split into their own stores/management apps.

As it should be. I welcome the day when iTunes on Macs as we currently know it is dead. It is an absolute mess and makes no sense from an organizational standpoint (except on Windows), aside from using a popular service to leverage the adoption of other less popular services.

They need to do the same thing to OS X, and then create a new hub app for managing how all of our content is distributed among our iDevices.

vtstarck
Jun 26, 2012, 01:03 PM
You better believe that the Podcasts app will come standard on future shipping iPhones and iPads.

Like iBooks or Cards or Find My Friends?

andybrown44
Jun 26, 2012, 01:03 PM
Does it do automatic updates of podcasts without user intervention? Downcast cannot because of an iOS limitation.

It doesn't seem to automatically download anything at all, even with the app open. From what I can see, you have to download each episode that you want individually, the only thing that updates is a list of available episodes. You tap the episode to stream instantly or there's a little download button to store on the device.

EDIT: I am a moron, it does support automatic downloading. Not sure if it works when app is closed though.

John.B
Jun 26, 2012, 01:04 PM
I only wish they'd start to break out iTunes functionality into separate apps on OSX. ;)

motulist
Jun 26, 2012, 01:04 PM
Would make a lot of sense. I hope this is the case

I sure hope so too. They've tried to cram everything including the kitchen sink into iTunes and it became more and more cluttered, slow, and hard to use. So I think it's great that Apple is finally starting to separate out the separate functionalities into their own rightfully separate apps.

UnseenLlama
Jun 26, 2012, 01:06 PM
Starting a podcast on the phone and picking up where you left off on the iPad works great. The 30 second forward button is nice too. I like it much better than the standard Music app.

Is this using your iCloud account, or your iTunes store account to sync between devices?

smiddlehurst
Jun 26, 2012, 01:06 PM

Umm, actually I'd argue that this is a big step FORWARD, not back. Problem with the Music app on iOS, especially on anything other than iPad, is you have limited screen real estate to play with. As a result you have just four shortcut links on the bottom of the screen with everything else off in a separate 'more' screen. Yeah, you can put whatever you like down there but how many people actually change from the default? Plus the title of the app, 'Music', suggests that things like audiobooks and podcasts aren't to be found there anyway.

By putting distinct categories in their own app you're effectively using the homescreen as the first 'selection' pane for media. Better still you can completely customise the individual apps around different content without having to constantly change the look and feel of a single all-encompasing app and potentially producing some very confusing user interface design.

If anything having separate apps actually encourages discoverability by users who don't necessarily know what podcasts are or haven't used them before. After all if an app is pre-loaded (and I'm guessing it will be on iOS6) a new user is much more likely to tap it from the homescreen than go diving through menu options in the music app.

andybrown44
Jun 26, 2012, 01:07 PM
Well if it's possible I couldn't easily find it. I currently use podcaster but am going to give downcast a try. For $1.99 why not.

I used to use Podcaster and Downcast was a huge improvement. It's also improved on a regular basis, when I was using Podcaster it seemed to have been abandoned for a while.

Vertigo50
Jun 26, 2012, 01:07 PM
I'll stick with iCatcher, thanks anyway. I'm guessing this new app doesn't have anywhere near the customizability, and I love being able to make swipe gestures to skip around an episode.

Apple is about 3 years too late on this.

brianus
Jun 26, 2012, 01:08 PM
Questions before I irreversably screw anything up:

* Does it still support 2X and 1/2X speeds, like the Music app does for Podcasts and Audiobooks?

* So it syncs with iTunes. Does it sync any podcast you specify, including those not in the iTunes store but in your iTunes library?

* Does it support iTunes playlists (or creating your own on the device)?

* Somebody said the iOS app syncs your play data through iCloud, so that you can pause on one device and resume on another. Does this also work in iTunes?

andybrown44
I sure hope so too. They've tried to cram everything including the kitchen sink into iTunes and it became more and more cluttered, slow, and hard to use. So I think it's great that Apple is finally starting to separate out the separate functionalities into their own rightfully separate apps.

It sounds silly but I hate that something called 'iTunes' manages apps, podcasts, movies and TV, as well as music.

rhett7660

How is this going to make them less viable. Isn't this still offered in iTunes on your Mac or PC next to all your media?

This just looks like Apple is thinning out some of the pieces of it's software on the iOS devices. This is for iOS only isn't it?

blow45
Jun 26, 2012, 01:09 PM

Qft, this is very sensible opinion, I wish there was someone as sensible at apple making some of these crucial choices. That's indeed what's going to happen.

Interestingly you got downvoted... Downvoted what with the level of some of the participants here seems more so than not as a sure sign that someone said something that makes sense.

AppleMad98004
Jun 26, 2012, 01:10 PM
I just noticed that it deleted the podcasts in iTunes and says go to the new app..... Hmmmm

jrlcopy
Jun 26, 2012, 01:10 PM
Haha great.. Another hobby app of apple that will probably be updated once every 2-3 years.

UnseenLlama
Jun 26, 2012, 01:12 PM
Wow wow wow!!! The new podcasts app isn't just good, it's the best podcasting app ever made ON ANY PLATFORM. EVER. I'm loving the seamless resume playback on all my devices. The UI is absolutely beautiful. Here's another nail in the coffin of Android. If you love listening to podcasts, owning an IOS device just became absolutely essential. Incredible work from Apple once again!

Calm yourself... :D

charlituna
Support for podcast subscriptions!!!:D

Yep. And given that many folks had no clue there was any podcast support in Music pulling it out was, from the POV of the creators, a great move.

The timing of this release even makes sense. they will likely remove said support from the Music and Video apps with iOS 6 so they would want to have this app already being used by those that need it so they won't suddenly lose something when they update. they are already set for it.

Lodoss

How do you do the sync across devices so far I cant get podcasts on my phone to appear on my iPad. Does it require Itunes?

akm3
Jun 26, 2012, 01:13 PM
Can anyone confirm if it supports 1.5x 2.0x etc speeds?

leukotriene
It doesn't seem to automatically download anything at all, even with the app open. From what I can see, you have to download each episode that you want individually, the only thing that updates is a list of available episodes. You tap the episode to stream instantly or there's a little download button to store on the device.

Not sure if you saw it already but there is an "Auto-download" switch present when you switch on "Subscription". It's hidden--you have to tap on the show's icon when you are viewing the show in your library.

But it definitely does seem to support automatic downloads. The biggest question is will it automatically download new episodes on a daily basis like Newsstand does with periodicals. My hunch says no. If it does, then that's a huge advantage over Downcast and Instacast, albeit because Apple is cheating.

MadGoat
I wish there was support for non-itunes podcasts. A local radio station here releases all their shows, but I can't do it unless I'm connected to the PC and transfer them via itunes.

Damek
I just hope they don't remove podcast listening from iTunes, and/or the Music iOS app; I like iTunes just fine so I can hold on to interesting podcasts as part of my collection.

I know EVERYONE prefers streaming to owning these days, but some material is worth archiving.

Mind you, I like streaming, and find Stitcher great for that for more news-y podcasts, but I like to relisten to some, like radio shows...

andybrown44
Jun 26, 2012, 01:14 PM
Wow wow wow!!! The new podcasts app isn't just good, it's the best podcasting app ever made ON ANY PLATFORM. EVER. I'm loving the seamless resume playback on all my devices. The UI is absolutely beautiful. Here's another nail in the coffin of Android. If you love listening to podcasts, owning an IOS device just became absolutely essential. Incredible work from Apple once again!

How are you syncing between devices? Doesn't seem to be doing it for me...

charlituna
Jun 26, 2012, 01:15 PM
OR, they feel they can do it beter when it's not fighting for space alongside the latest britney fart.
Podcasts and music are different media, why not seperate them?

Especially when you consider that they have different technical needs. Before now podcasts were forced into the square hole of the music app so there was no subscription support etc. Now that they have their own hole, it's a perfect fit.

cforbesdesign
Looks nice overall but not a big fan of the logo...

I agree. I feel the same way about some of the icons on the iCloud web-portal. Then again I hated the new iTunes icon on the Mac and now I prefer it to the older one.

brianus
Hmm, how long before they update the iTunes U app so that it stores audio and video in the app, rather than jumping into the Music or Videos apps for content?

All we really need after that is for them to do something about Audiobooks (either their own separate app, or integrated with iBooks -- ooh, that'd be nice, pause the audiobook and resume reading, or vice versa), and split Videos into Movies and TV Shows apps.

Then iTunes is just for managing your store account, and maybe downloading ringtones.

Rogifan
I used to use Podcaster and Downcast was a huge improvement. It's also improved on a regular basis, when I was using Podcaster it seemed to have been abandoned for a while.Good to know. I just downloaded it and a importing all my podcasts.

andybrown44
Jun 26, 2012, 01:16 PM
Not sure if you saw it already but there is an "Auto-download" switch present when you switch on "Subscription". It's hidden--you have to tap on the show's icon when you are viewing the show in your library.

But it definitely does seem to support automatic downloads. The biggest question is will it automatically download new episodes on a daily basis like Newsstand does with periodicals. My hunch says no. If it does, then that's a huge advantage over Downcast and Instacast, albeit because Apple is cheating.

Oh - you're right! I didn't see that. Silly me.

Rogifan
Jun 26, 2012, 01:18 PM

Do you work for Eddy Cue or something? :p Are you able to import podcasts via URL like you can do with podcaster and downcast? If not than big FAIL.

charlituna
Jun 26, 2012, 01:18 PM

on the Macs perhaps. But Windows will likely always be stuck with the bloat.

That said, removing Podcasts isn't really what they need to be doing to remove the bloat for iTunes. Things like having an iPhone simply pop up as an icon on the screen and you 'open' it for the sync screens without having to have iTunes on is what is needed. making the store a either a separate app like the MAS, combining it with the MAS app and/or taking both to the web is what is needed.
Merging the DVD player app with iTunes for one unified player app wouldn't hurt either. Nor would adding the ability to make plugins for things like WMA and Divx wouldn't hurt. Adding Blu-ray playback support for those that are willing to buy an external drive is unlikely but it would be a nice touch.

I downloaded the app and if I had to make any complaint it would be that when a podcast doesn't have cover art it doesn't have the podcast name on the generic logo when you are looking at the whole Top Stations thing. You have to tap the i to see what it is and that's extremely annoying.

I was also surprised that there wasn't a channel just for Apple stuff. that would fix the issue of them making every event a separate podcast for ages. They could do a podcast for every store or do it as types (meet the filmmaker, meet the cast, etc). Or even let you add your own 'stations' based on producers or topics you like. Then if they did finally get their acts together those that like those event podcasts could make an "Apple" station. Or my baby sister could make a 'station' for the 20 harry potter podcasts she still listens to. It could be an alternate way for us to sort our podcasts instead of just a flat list.

theonekcrow
Jun 26, 2012, 01:20 PM
Taking a look at the app, it looks great... The older episodes that I was concerned about rolled over into the app. You can also subscribe to podcasts and get auto downloads. I never had the chance to try one of the third party apps, so I can't compare them. I also like the stuff "Under the hood" with the tape recorder, speed, and share button. Gives it a nice interactive look.

austinguy23
Jun 26, 2012, 01:21 PM

Nope. Downloadable Apple apps must be separately downloaded. Look at all their other downloadable apps.

castlema
Jun 26, 2012, 01:23 PM
What I do not see is how this will interact with my iMac. I do not want to manage my podcast subscriptions on my tiny iPhone screen, that's why I have my nice 27" iMac. I certainly do not want to have to download everything onto the iPhone, it's just too slow even on wifi, and I certainly do not want to stream anything. Streaming will put me over my 300MB very quickly to say nothing of the vast stretches of plains where there is only a minimal, if any, signal.

zeppiecr
Is the auto download only over wifi?

UnseenLlama
Do you work for Eddy Cue or something? :p Are you able to import podcasts via URL like you can do with podcaster and downcast? If not than big FAIL.

You can subscribe to a podcast via RSS.

bassanoclapper
Jun 26, 2012, 01:25 PM
Questions before I irreversably screw anything up:

* Does it still support 2X and 1/2X speeds, like the Music app does for Podcasts and Audiobooks?

Yep, Tortoise & Hare modes and many more functions like sleep timer

ipedro
Jun 26, 2012, 01:25 PM

I believe this is exactly what they're doing. Mountain Lion will bring iOS and OSX even more in step with each other and it will be a natural progression to release the iOS apps Music, Video, and Podcasts for OSX Mountain Lion.

The app store (for Mac) already exists. Consolidating the iOS app store into the Mac App Store app is likely in this scenario as is then releasing a new iTunes app for the music and video store.

The final piece of the puzzle is already being unfolded: iCloud for iOS device sync. An iCloud app on OSX and Windows could be released to extract this function from iTunes for those who don't want to use iCloud for device sync and backup.

Krevnik
Jun 26, 2012, 01:26 PM
At first glance -- downloading a few podcasts and monkeying around with the UI -- I still way prefer Downcast:

* Global settings with individual settings for individual podcasts.
* Limitation on number of podcasts it keeps.
* Distinguishes downloading vs. streaming.
* Does a great job syncing multiple devices.
* Better UI.

When Apple moves into a space where third-party apps are already doing a great job, Apple needs to raise the bar. They didn't raise the bar.

For free, I don't think Apple should be raising the bar on these guys, who are trying to bring in income. As far as I see it, Apple's app is setting a minimum bar, and leveling the playing field a bit. The built-in functionality was pretty terrible, partly because it was so heavily tied to the music app.

It's a decent, if fairly basic app (although it does support limiting the number of podcasts it keeps, if a bit hidden). It gets the job done and will get folks like my girlfriend listening to more podcasts. It also leaves the market open for more robust apps like Downcast/Instacast/PocketCasts/etc. Mission accomplished.

blow45
Jun 26, 2012, 01:27 PM
Umm, actually I'd argue that this is a big step FORWARD, not back. Problem with the Music app on iOS, especially on anything other than iPad, is you have limited screen real estate to play with. As a result you have just four shortcut links on the bottom of the screen with everything else off in a separate 'more' screen. Yeah, you can put whatever you like down there but how many people actually change from the default? Plus the title of the app, 'Music', suggests that things like audiobooks and podcasts aren't to be found there anyway.

By putting distinct categories in their own app you're effectively using the homescreen as the first 'selection' pane for media. Better still you can completely customise the individual apps around different content without having to constantly change the look and feel of a single all-encompasing app and potentially producing some very confusing user interface design.

If anything having separate apps actually encourages discoverability by users who don't necessarily know what podcasts are or haven't used them before. After all if an app is pre-loaded (and I'm guessing it will be on iOS6) a new user is much more likely to tap it from the homescreen than go diving through menu options in the music app.

Thanks for the reply and opening up this discussion with me. There are 100,000 though ways to rationalise some solution as being superior to the other, with very plausible arguments too. And I think you are doing just that, rationalising.

No, a new user will soon forget even the existence of the app as opposed to having it inside iTunes, and real estate isn't an issue with the iPad, even on the iPhone, uttmg it down there means an extra touch, having it separate will mean some users will never check and like I said eventually forget about it. Apple alone has what, 20 apps of their own that come preinstalled, on average a user has at least another 50, and that's minimum.

You know how many apps I have that I d love to use, but I forget about? Apple should be integrating instead of separating here. And find creative ways to integrate.

Btw no one told apple to change the name to music, and yeas it was moronic to call music an app with audiobooks and podcasts. Two wrongs don't make a right, that's not an argument. If I rename my tea and coffee shop instead of Joel's healthy drinks to Joel's coffee house, then I have to get the tea out cause no one expects it there...

akm3
Jun 26, 2012, 01:29 PM
Nope. Downloadable Apple apps must be separately downloaded. Look at all their other downloadable apps.

And this is smart, because it trains people how to use the App store, and gets them in the habit of doing it.

Antoni Nygaard
Jun 26, 2012, 01:30 PM
Click the album cover and more options comes up and nice tape animation in the corners

Rogifan
Jun 26, 2012, 01:33 PM
You can subscribe to a podcast via RSS.

I can do that through this new app?

ThunderSkunk
Jun 26, 2012, 01:34 PM
Awww what the hell is all this now... between three apps on iOS, the iTunes store, music, & podcasts, "redeem" (?), burying it on a "more..." tab for no reason, then "top stations", "catalog" with no clear way to subscribe, search fields that don't search, Hidden commands, subscriptions that don't carry over from OS X,... how Apple has gone from a simple & effective ui for the simplest means of distributing audio files to this freakin quagmire...

The day Tim Cook decides to subscribe to one and discovers the screwey birds nest his company has made of it, he's going to explode in a SJ-like rage and fire the first hundred people he sees.

Undecided
Jun 26, 2012, 01:37 PM
I don't understand. Once installed, should you delete your podcasts that are in the music and videos apps?

M-O
Jun 26, 2012, 01:40 PM
Paid podcasts is awfully close to a-la-cart tv shows.

----------

I don't understand. Once installed, should you delete your podcasts that are in the music and videos apps?

they will go away with iOS 6.

iMacDragon
Jun 26, 2012, 01:42 PM
You can subscribe to non itunes podcasts in it, feed:// links in safari for podcasts now open in the new podcast app.

MacHiavelli
Jun 26, 2012, 01:43 PM
Personally, dislike the skeuomorphic tape deck.

Can still get podcasts in both the new podcast app and in music on the iPad.

CavemanUK
Jun 26, 2012, 01:44 PM
Awww what the hell is all this now... between three apps on iOS, the iTunes store, music, & podcasts, "redeem" (?), burying it on a "more..." tab for no reason, then "top stations", "catalog" with no clear way to subscribe, search fields that don't search, Hidden commands, subscriptions that don't carry over from OS X,... how Apple has gone from a simple & effective ui for the simplest means of distributing audio files to this freakin quagmire...

The day Tim Cook decides to subscribe to one and discovers the screwey birds nest his company has made of it, he's going to explode in a SJ-like rage and fire the first hundred people he sees.

I agree. First impressions are this app is a mess. I should say by the way that I'm using it on ios6 and that could be part of the problem I'm seeing a lot of mess. Searches don't seems to work. Audio apps are in the video section and vice versa. There's no iCloud syncing of subscriptions that I can see and it took a while to actually find the subscription settings. Very messy.

Undecided
Jun 26, 2012, 01:45 PM
You can subscribe to non itunes podcasts in it, feed:// links in safari for podcasts now open in the new podcast app.

So this can replace RSSRadio? That might be nifty, though I like how it can set what 2x means - that is, you can set that the 2x button actually does 1.2x, for example.

I WAS the one
Jun 26, 2012, 01:45 PM
Maybe Podcasts are not what Apple had in mind back in the days. Maybe this is a 'classic' move. Get it? First they put the word 'classic' on the side as Podcast Classic and then is OUT of here! $20 dollars that this is a move not to help but to erase this option from their menu.

Think about this: Apple is not getting money from Podcast.

The next big thing: the iStream
Definition: the same thing as Podcasts but with Apple ads and a agreement of 60/40% you don't need to sell your own ads, Apple will doit for you.

$100.00 joining fee yearly.
You put a price on your iStream show.

Apple got you by the balls.

Nice?

UnseenLlama
Jun 26, 2012, 01:46 PM
I can do that through this new app?

You need to go to that particular podcast's page in Safari, then click on the RSS link if there is one.

ZepFloyd
Jun 26, 2012, 01:48 PM
finally! havent read through the thread but is anyone finding that you cant subscribe to some podcasts?

i think its just on apples end the subscribe button will pop up but then disappear. went back to a few of them a min later and i could subscribe. hopefully that all gets sorted out

this is excellent. i mean i used stitcher for awhile, then like just last week found out tune in radio offered podcasts streaming, so was using that. but now this will take over

CupertinoRat
Jun 26, 2012, 01:54 PM
WARNING: this app can be dangerous to your iPhone. I wanted to smash mine on the pavement upon installation of this steaming pile of junk.
Apple couldn’t have possibly coded this trash. No push notifications? No settings? Only podcasts from within the walled garden of iTunes? Is this the post-Jobs Apple everyone is talking about?

Natesac
Jun 26, 2012, 01:54 PM
My eyes have seen the glory........

I have been waiting for this app for a very long time. I am going to do some testing first. This app might get me to switch to icloud backups and stop syncing witht he PC for good.

bye bye iTunes(PC)............

OddyOh
Jun 26, 2012, 01:55 PM
The animated reel-to-reel tape machine is pretty funny...as if any podcast is recorded on analog tape! :D The kids won't know what the hell that's supposed to be.

charlituna
Jun 26, 2012, 02:00 PM
I actually tend to feel the reverse: I think of the iTunes icon for music and movie rentals.

That would be because it is. iTunes is the icon for the store. MUSIC was the icon for all forms of audio playback. 'was' because now Podcasts is for Podcasts. Which is more intuitive and logical, especially for newer users. And as nutty as it sounds it almost makes sense to pull out the podcast stuff in the storefront since you can download it without even needing an Apple ID, something many users didn't know since the app store is the opposite.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if come iOS 6 the unified iTunes store app disappears and you access them via the store links in the player apps. I hope not in a way because that screws with fortuitous finds but then again how often do those really happen with the screwed up meta data they are using. So perhaps it wouldn't be an issue to split it up.

----------

how many folks were actually exploring them anyway. Remember that that requires the store, not the player and there's no promise that folks were hitting anything more than music, movies or TV shows since they know what those are.

----------

You mean like how iBooks and iTunes U already do.

----------

IVideo, books, audio, and apps have all been split into their own stores/management apps.

Nope. Books and apps have their own stores, especially books because the files are useless if you don't have the app anyway

but movies, tv shows and music still have one common store app.

Mike Oxard
Jun 26, 2012, 02:04 PM
I LOVE Downcast, but will give this a go. The one thing I've never got working particularly well was the syncing across devices.

I've been using instacast and never managed to get that to sync between devices.

Natesac
Jun 26, 2012, 02:04 PM
well I downloaded the app to my phone, opened the app. It recognized all the podcasts I already had on the phone. I went through and subscribed to all of them and set my settings for how many to keep.

They still appear in my music app, I don't get that message about the podcasts app.

I downloaded the app on my iPad (that did not have podcasts synced to it previously) I open the app and there is nothing. I expected it to reflect the subscriptions I had on my iphone. Is this not the case?

TrackZ
Jun 26, 2012, 02:05 PM
What iCloud account does it use to sync play state? Does it use the store account set on the device or the primary iCloud account in settings?

If it uses the store account, that's terrible as my wife and I share a store account. We wouldn't want play state and subscriptions being shared across our devices.

Also, people are reporting conflicting data about whether you can add feeds via direct address. I have a paid podcast feed I get via URL in downcast I must have to be able to transition to this new app.

charlituna
Jun 26, 2012, 02:06 PM
Apple couldn’t have possibly coded this trash. No push notifications? No settings? Only podcasts from within the walled garden of iTunes? Is this the post-Jobs Apple everyone is talking about?

Not only did Apple code it, Steve did it and left in to them in his will.

it's a version 1 app, chill out a bit. push etc will come in time. It's easier to debug something when you have reduced factors.

As for the walled garden crack, that's only in the catalog. You can sync over any podcasts that are on your computer and, as others have already noted, if you hit a RSS feed link for a podcast in safari it pushes to the app just fine for many and will likely be a better supported features in a later round of the game

rwilliams
Jun 26, 2012, 02:06 PM
I went to Settings to see if the app is using iCloud to sync between devices, and I've seen no evidence to support that.

BaldiMac
Jun 26, 2012, 02:13 PM
What iCloud account does it use to sync play state? Does it use the store account set on the device or the primary iCloud account in settings?

If it uses the store account, that's terrible as my wife and I share a store account. We wouldn't want play state and subscriptions being shared across our devices.

I'm not sure why you would suspect that it would use anything other than iCloud to sync.

applefanDrew
Jun 26, 2012, 02:15 PM
I'm not sure why you would suspect that it would use anything other than iCloud to sync.

Mines not syncing at all.

TrackZ
Jun 26, 2012, 02:16 PM

Because podcast are an iTunes store item.

RabidMacFan
Jun 26, 2012, 02:17 PM
I'm going to have to compare this to the Downcast app that I purchased a while back. The number one reason I bought Downcast is because it would automatically download the latest episodes without needing to sync with iTunes.

blastair
Jun 26, 2012, 02:26 PM
The app description says the latest version of iTunes is required for device syncing, which makes me worried.

Zcott
Jun 26, 2012, 02:26 PM

Mine isn't syncing either. Sticking to Instacast until it does :-(

yegon
Jun 26, 2012, 02:28 PM
I'm going to have to compare this to the Downcast app that I purchased a while back. The number one reason I bought Downcast is because it would automatically download the latest episodes without needing to sync with iTunes.

Don't worry, your money was well spent, Downcast is much better imo. Still, good to see Apple are rectifying the ghastly changes to podcast playback that came with ios5, the main reason I made the jump to Downcast in the first place.

applefanDrew
Jun 26, 2012, 02:29 PM
Mine isn't syncing either. Sticking to Instacast until it does :-(

Same. I like the app better overall than Downcast but the iCloud sync for playback is a must have.

Blakjack
Jun 26, 2012, 02:29 PM
I like this app. I think it's nicely done.

xlost6
Jun 26, 2012, 02:32 PM
They are either going to pre-install this app in iOS 6 official release or just let it be a user download. I like how when you opened the App Store for the first time on the iPhone it asks you you can download iBooks for free right now.

Now I installed iBooks because it's a useful app.

ZepFloyd
Jun 26, 2012, 02:33 PM
just read about the features in the OP...interesting. they're going to have to push an update out soon. first, i see no where to get to settings, so how could i set a timer on my podcasts? am i just missing it?

EDIT: i should mention i havent tried listening to a podcast yet, not near my phone at this moment. maybe you can set a time once you start playing a podcast? i'll try it out later

BaldiMac
Jun 26, 2012, 02:35 PM

I wonder if it's a bug or if it currently only syncs playback state. Maybe you are supposed to subscribe and download podcasts on each device (or sync with iTunes), but the actual playback information is supposed to sync. Seems very unclear.

Because podcast are an iTunes store item.

So are iBooks and apps. I can't imagine anything other than iCloud would be used for syncing.

AtHomeBoy_2000
Jun 26, 2012, 02:38 PM
Terrible UI and it has the usual artificial 50MB download limit over cellular networks.

yea, I dont like the UI at all. The whole "reel player" thing is unnecessary (and probably adds bulk to the app file size) and some of the controls are hidden unless you tape the artwork.

Makmohan
Jun 26, 2012, 02:40 PM
Help me my iPhone 3GS battery drain very fast.ios 5.1.1

Westside guy
Jun 26, 2012, 02:40 PM
I downloaded it onto my iPhone just a bit ago. It automatically grabbed all my existing podcasts from the Music app - a nice touch.

topmounter
Jun 26, 2012, 02:44 PM
Other than just hiving podcasts out of the Music App, I don't really see the point.... especially since podcasts are still showing up in my phone's Music App.

It's not syncing progress from the Podcast app back to iTunes (the Music App still syncs progress just fine with desktop iTunes).

There is apparently no way to selectively download individual episodes. I haven't tested it yet, but hopefully it is clever enough not to store two copies of a particular podcast on the phone if you're still sync'ing with desktop iTunes and subscribe to the podcast in the Podcasts app.

It seems silly that they didn't migrate audiobooks over to the new app, but it is called "Podcasts" and not "Podcasts & Audio Books". I guess that means we're going to get another app called "Audiobooks" at some point.

I also wish there was a way to configure the jump-back and jump-ahead buttons. I prefer the jump-back to be 30-seconds rather than 10-seconds.

salesguy
Jun 26, 2012, 02:45 PM
It also removes podcasts from the music app

Thanks for the heads up, I won't be installing this app.....ever.

topmounter
Jun 26, 2012, 02:50 PM

It didn't remove podcasts from mine... they are still showing up in both places.

Pennine
Jun 26, 2012, 02:50 PM

Mine isn't syncing between iPad and iPhone

ballsop
Jun 26, 2012, 02:51 PM
the app isn't downloading any podcasts i choose. video or audio. hit download and i see the press animation but nothing downloads.

throys
Jun 26, 2012, 02:53 PM
Other than just hiving podcasts out of the Music App, I don't really see the point.... especially since podcasts are still showing up in my phone's Music App.

It's not syncing progress from the Podcast app back to iTunes (the Music App still syncs progress just fine with desktop iTunes).

There is apparently no way to selectively download individual episodes. I haven't tested it yet, but hopefully it is clever enough not to store two copies of a particular podcast on the phone if you're still sync'ing with desktop iTunes and subscribe to the podcast in the Podcasts app.

It seems silly that they didn't migrate audiobooks over to the new app, but it is called "Podcasts" and not "Podcasts & Audio Books". I guess that means we're going to get another app called "Audiobooks" at some point.

I also wish there was a way to configure the jump-back and jump-ahead buttons. I prefer the jump-back to be 30-seconds rather than 10-seconds.

it works good for version 1, you can select the [i] on the right button beside the podast and that will open the podcast and there you can download individual episodes

ZepFloyd
Jun 26, 2012, 02:54 PM
the app isn't downloading any podcasts i choose. video or audio. hit download and i see the press animation but nothing downloads.

think they have some bugs to work out. i was able to subscribe to some, but some others i couldnt. for instance, sklarbro country the "subscribe" button would appear for a second then disappear. about 5 min later i went back and was able to finally do so.

still havent been able to subscribe to the nerdist. hoping that gets worked out later when i check

bassanoclapper
just read about the features in the OP...interesting. they're going to have to push an update out soon. first, i see no where to get to settings, so how could i set a timer on my podcasts? am i just missing it?

EDIT: i should mention i havent tried listening to a podcast yet, not near my phone at this moment. maybe you can set a time once you start playing a podcast? i'll try it out later

It's by individual podcasts as far as I can see. Clicking the arrow in the title bar goes to settings for that episode

iEvolution
I dont understand why they are finding it necessary to have podcasts as their own app.

Macsterguy
Jun 26, 2012, 02:55 PM
We are going to loose podcast in iTunes. This is how it will be done...

BruiserB
Jun 26, 2012, 02:56 PM
I subscribe to a few paid podcasts from Audible like "The Wall Street Journal". I get a custom URL from Audible which I then put into iTunes to get these on the desktop. Where can I put the custom URL in the app?

Maybe I can just start to sync the podcast from my desktop and get a few episodes on my phone, then I will be able to start subscribing directly from the phone? Anyone see another way?

ZepFloyd
Jun 26, 2012, 02:57 PM
It's by individual podcasts as far as I can see. Clicking the arrow in the title bar goes to settings for that episode

not sure what arrow you're talking about, but just figured out how to see that analog tape background people were talking about. had to flip the podcast icon up for it to move up the screen which revealed it. anyways, on the right side there is a timer icon, this allows you to choose a timer setting.

MathijsDelva
Jun 26, 2012, 02:57 PM
Few questions

- How can i download old podcasts from a subscription? For example, Stones Throw Records only goes back to episode 68.

- What should i do with my locally stored podcasts and subscriptions on my Mac? They don't seem to sync?

Abbsta
Jun 26, 2012, 02:58 PM

It does auto download.

ZepFloyd
Jun 26, 2012, 03:00 PM
I dont understand why they are finding it necessary to have podcasts as their own app.

its fine by me..i dont mind it. it was most important to allow to subscribe to podcasts on the phone. so however they wanted to do that, whether it was to just allow the option in the itunes store, or create their own app. whatever. just glad they finally did it.

brianus
Jun 26, 2012, 03:01 PM
It didn't remove podcasts from mine... they are still showing up in both places.

Same here. That screenshot posted earlier looked like iOS 6, so maybe it does that in the new OS but not the current one. Makes me wonder why they bothered releasing it now and not waiting till the fall -- I guess they're using us as beta testers. But that's just as well, given the bugs and stuff they left out; we can keep using the Music and Videos apps until they work out the kinks.

Just a few of the annoyances I've discovered:

* "Tortoise" and "Hare" mode reset back to normal speed after each podcast. The app doesn't remember your preference like the Music one does.

* There's no "half moon" icon for partially-played podcasts, it's either a solid dot for unplayed, or nothing.

* No playlist support as far as I can see. Music app allows this for podcasts.

* You have to manually bring up the "special" controls like speed, sleep, playback scrollbar, etc. In the Music app it keeps these up for all podcasts until you tell it to go away, and vice versa.

devsfan1830
Jun 26, 2012, 03:05 PM
I subscribe to a few paid podcasts from Audible like "The Wall Street Journal". I get a custom URL from Audible which I then put into iTunes to get these on the desktop. Where can I put the custom URL in the app?

Maybe I can just start to sync the podcast from my desktop and get a few episodes on my phone, then I will be able to start subscribing directly from the phone? Anyone see another way?

My concerns exactly. I also use the "podcast it" feature of Audible to subscribe to daily uploads of The Opie & Anthony Show. Audible has a podcast it button which put it in my iTunes podcasts on my desktop. The individual episode was detected and imported by the podcast app, but it is unable to download any others. I assume its because there is no built in audible authorization mechanism. The only solution is to use the Audible app. If they force podcasts into its won app with iOS 6, then its going to cause a loss of Audible syncing between iOS and desktop iTunes (boooo!). Its early yet, and so I see this as a early preview of a new app. Hopefully they add Audible features to the app, or Audible creates its own desktop solution that syncs content and position with a desktop client.

diamond.g
Jun 26, 2012, 03:06 PM
Not a fan of having to select each podcast to fix the sort order.

CmdrLaForge
Jun 26, 2012, 03:10 PM
If Apple gives me the oppertunity to charge for my podcasts I would start again....I hope they do...

ajvizzgamer101
Jun 26, 2012, 03:10 PM
I am very curious when Apple talked to Facebook... because Facebook intergration seems rushed through out OS X and iOS and isn't even presented in this app, as a sharing option.

ObjectiveV
Jun 26, 2012, 03:11 PM
I had to check twice that this app was made by apple.

Judging only from the screen shots, this is one of the ugliest first party apps they have ever released.

http://http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/podcasts/id525463029?mt=8

I'll be sticking to Instacast.

JamSandwich
Jun 26, 2012, 03:12 PM
My only hope is that iOS6 removing podcasts from the Music app doesn't affect the function of peripheral devices. I have a new car stereo specifically to listen to podcasts on my phone.

I can connect with a 3.5" cable, but it's easier (and probably safer) using USB, since that gives me control via the head unit.

EDIT: I can use apps like Downcast, more or less, but the controls on the head unit like fast forward, etc., don't work very well. Clearly something will "kind of" work, but I hope things will continue to work as well as they do now.

Whatever the case, it's not a bad idea to give podcasts a place of their own. Very little real estate and very little visibility in iTunes (specifically on iOS) IMO.

BaldiMac
Jun 26, 2012, 03:13 PM
I am very curious when Apple talked to Facebook... because Facebook intergration seems rushed through out OS X and iOS and isn't even presented in this app, as a sharing option.

Maybe because Facebook integration is still in beta on both platforms? :)

Eadfrith
Jun 26, 2012, 03:13 PM
Very interesting. I don't see anything in the feature list that would make me switch from Downcast cold turkey but I'll check it out of course.

Free?

imahawki
Jun 26, 2012, 03:18 PM
My only hope is that iOS6 removing podcasts from the Music app doesn't affect the function of peripheral devices. I have a new car stereo specifically to listen to podcasts on my phone.

I can connect with a 3.5" cable, but it's easier (and probably safer) using USB, since that gives me control via the head unit.

EDIT: I can use apps like Downcast, more or less, but the controls on the head unit like fast forward, etc., don't work very well. Clearly something will "kind of" work, but I hope things will continue to work as well as they do now.

Whatever the case, it's not a bad idea to give podcasts a place of their own. Very little real estate and very little visibility in iTunes (specifically on iOS) IMO.

Hopefully it will work BETTER. One of my beefs with the music app is that my Sync system (I'm not a huge fan in general but the car came with it) often gets confused. It won't stop the current podcast (sometimes, its random) sometimes and I'll get back in the car and it will have lost my place and played through the next 2 episodes (ARGH). I'm sure this is a Sync problem and not the iPhone but maybe the new app will work better.

bassanoclapper
Jun 26, 2012, 03:19 PM
* There's no "half moon" icon for partially-played podcasts, it's either a solid dot for unplayed, or nothing.

I've got half moons for partially played episodes

Zcott
Jun 26, 2012, 03:21 PM
Has anyone made iCloud syncing work?

LJ50
Jun 26, 2012, 03:23 PM
Don't worry, your money was well spent, Downcast is much better imo. Still, good to see Apple are rectifying the ghastly changes to podcast playback that came with ios5, the main reason I made the jump to Downcast in the first place.
Agreed 100% with this. The absolute catastrophe that was podcast playback in iOS5 on the iPad sent me off looking for something else and that something else was Downcast. A fantastic app, worth much more than the £1.99 it costs.

metsjetsfan
Jun 26, 2012, 03:23 PM
Do people see the redeem button? guess it's true what they say, could be the beginning of paid podcasts. Hopefully if it goes that way there will be no ads in some of the pods.

robbysibrahim
Jun 26, 2012, 03:26 PM

Yes you will when you upgrade to iOS 6.

kendo88
Jun 26, 2012, 03:26 PM
So this app looks great. Couple of questions though.

Anybody know how to get syncing to work? I subscribed to a few on my iPad, but they do not appear on my iPhone.

For audio podcasts we get a sleep timer, which for me is great. But i watch video podcasts mainly, and I cannot see a sleep timer for video. Am I missing it anywhere?

Thanks

bassanoclapper
Jun 26, 2012, 03:29 PM
So this app looks great. Couple of questions though.

Anybody know how to get syncing to work? I subscribed to a few on my iPad, but they do not appear on my iPhone...
Thanks
I have different podcasts subscribed on my iPhone than my iPad. The apps have subscribed the same way as my iTunes is set up

iKennett
Jun 26, 2012, 03:29 PM
It doesn't allow you to select to download over 'wifi only' which is very important to me given the 256MB download limit each month.

The Game 161
Jun 26, 2012, 03:35 PM
Think it's great so far

hspace
Jun 26, 2012, 03:36 PM
I'm a big Downcast user (it finally allowed me to cut the cord - I rarely sync with iTunes now).

Downloading podcasts without syncing to iTunes? Welcome to the 21st century, Apple.

I downloaded the app. The UI is weird. But then I discovered that it appears to only allow podcasts from iTunes. Meh. So I uninstalled it. If I hear a future version is improved, I'll take a 2nd look.

But for now I'm sticking with Downcast.

BaldiMac
Jun 26, 2012, 03:38 PM
Anybody know how to get syncing to work? I subscribed to a few on my iPad, but they do not appear on my iPhone.

My suspicion is that subscriptions and downloads do not sync between devices. Only the playback state of individual episodes.

Can anyone confirm that playback state does sync using iCloud?

Starhawk
Jun 26, 2012, 03:46 PM
I tested one video podcast that I streamed on my iPhone and iPad and it did not remember the play position.

There is no iCloud file showing up in documents in the cloud like the one for Trailers, (not sure if this is needed to sync play times though).

GQB
Jun 26, 2012, 03:48 PM
Something this doesn't address as well as, say, Pocket Casts by shiftyjelly is blind operation. Pocket Cast's skip back/forward 'buttons' are the entire left and right of the 'now playing' screen. I can skip while not taking my eyes off of the road or in a dark bedroom, all by touch. The skip buttons on the new Apple app are tiny.
Sounds like a small thing, but its critical for me, so I'll be staying with Pocket Casts.

Undecided
Jun 26, 2012, 03:50 PM
I guess I'm fortunate that none of this stuff means very much to me. It's all just disposable media. So I just blew away all the podcasts on my iPhone and Mac, turned off podcast syncing in iTunes, and then used this app to grab some podcasts. And I guess the idea is that this app stands on its own - it does not need to sync with a Mac. Fine for me, though there seems to be no button to "get all" from a podcast.

I do wonder if at some point I'll simply no longer use a Mac and just use iOS devices + cloud (Google mail, apps, iCloud, etc.). But yesterday I had to FTP into someone's web site, edit some files using changes emailed to me. Flipping back and forth between applications (mail, FTP, textedit/Word) was a lot easier on a Mac.

applefanDrew
Jun 26, 2012, 03:51 PM
My suspicion is that subscriptions and downloads do not sync between devices. Only the playback state of individual episodes.

Can anyone confirm that playback state does sync using iCloud?

I can confirm that it works 1 out of 10 tries.

robbysibrahim
Jun 26, 2012, 03:53 PM
Doesn't look like it's iCloud doing the syncing as strange as that seems. Here's what I'm seeing (or not).

No new data is showing up in neither ~/Library/Mobile Documents/ on OS X which is where iCloud data goes nor in the Manage Storage settings pane in iOS.

Subscriptions haven't synced for me yet from iPhone to iPad though and I'm still noodling with this thing. So iCloud could kick in for me at some point I guess. OR Apple has this marked this app to have a special iCloud storage setting that will not go against our 5GB storage allotment (just like iTunes purchases) That'd be nice of them.

Just want to rule out Downcast if possible if only for the advantage of having iTunes pickup my episode last-played locations over iCloud syncing since Downcast doesn't have a desktop option yet.

leerichards1
Jun 26, 2012, 03:56 PM
From Apple's support pages...

Note: Subscribing to a podcast using your device will not subscribe you to that podcast on your computer or other iOS devices.

Playback Sync automatically allows you to sync your playback position to all of your iOS devices with the Podcasts app installed, using your Apple ID. In order for Playback Sync to sync your playback position, you must be signed in to the iTunes Store using the same Apple ID on your iOS devices.

A useful feature missing which Downcast now handles very well.

techiegirl
Jun 26, 2012, 03:59 PM
Is the auto download only over wifi?

I am wondering about this as well.

Zcott
Jun 26, 2012, 04:00 PM

Note: Subscribing to a podcast using your device will not subscribe you to that podcast on your computer or other iOS devices.

Playback Sync automatically allows you to sync your playback position to all of your iOS devices with the Podcasts app installed, using your Apple ID. In order for Playback Sync to sync your playback position, you must be signed in to the iTunes Store using the same Apple ID on your iOS devices.

Thanks for that, can you provide the link?

blastair
Jun 26, 2012, 04:01 PM
Thanks for that, can you provide the link?

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5295

T-Will
Jun 26, 2012, 04:06 PM
Is there a way to add podcasts that are outside of the Apple ecosystem (similar to Pocket Cast's "Advanced Import" function where you can enter a feed URL)?

smiddlehurst
Jun 26, 2012, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the reply and opening up this discussion with me. There are 100,000 though ways to rationalise some solution as being superior to the other, with very plausible arguments too. And I think you are doing just that, rationalising.

No, a new user will soon forget even the existence of the app as opposed to having it inside iTunes, and real estate isn't an issue with the iPad, even on the iPhone, uttmg it down there means an extra touch, having it separate will mean some users will never check and like I said eventually forget about it. Apple alone has what, 20 apps of their own that come preinstalled, on average a user has at least another 50, and that's minimum.

You know how many apps I have that I d love to use, but I forget about? Apple should be integrating instead of separating here. And find creative ways to integrate.

Btw no one told apple to change the name to music, and yeas it was moronic to call music an app with audiobooks and podcasts. Two wrongs don't make a right, that's not an argument. If I rename my tea and coffee shop instead of Joel's healthy drinks to Joel's coffee house, then I have to get the tea out cause no one expects it there...

Rationalising? Nope, sorry. This is something I genuinely believe after a decade+ of creating and supporting bespoke software for non-technical people to use. The more you can simplify things the more likely they are to discover features for themselves. It's an approach that's clearly visible throughout iOS, especially on the iPhone. Apps tend to do one main task and that's it. Heck they've had Music and Video split for a long time now so this isn't really anything new at all.

You're talking about integration and finding 'creative ways' to do that... this is EXACTLY what Apple just did! They are approaching this from the point of view (rightly IMO although that is of course just my opinion) that the homescreen is the first level of any application. They've effectively moved Podcasts two levels up and allowing users to find it far more easily than the old location in the 'more' menu within music. Hell, if you want to group it with music put it in a folder, Podcasts are no further away in terms of taps than they would be on one of the four shortcut options within the music app itself!

Ultimately, and a quick read through this thread tends to support this theory, I'd expect the geeks to not like this change as they are used to information dense software that they can customise and tweak to their precise needs. That's fine, nothing wrong with that at all, but they're not the primary audience for this change. That's the vast number of non-technical users on iOS and I suspect that they will ultimately benefit from this change.

Warbrain
Jun 26, 2012, 04:23 PM
For some reason the auto-download doesn't want to work nor does the sync for me.

GQB
Jun 26, 2012, 04:25 PM
I'd expect the geeks to not like this change as they are used to information dense software that they can customise and tweak to their precise needs.

Ironically, its these very same people who gripe that iTunes has gotten too bloated.

irDigital0l
Jun 26, 2012, 04:32 PM
Finally!

T-Will
Jun 26, 2012, 04:33 PM
Is there a way to add podcasts that are outside of the Apple ecosystem (similar to Pocket Cast's "Advanced Import" function where you can enter a feed URL)?

I just realized if you copy and paste a podcast feed URL (that's outside of iTunes) into the "Search" box, it will ask if you want to subscribe to the feed. :)

PaulKemp
Jun 26, 2012, 04:38 PM
I think this is great! Call them idiots for beeing late to the party, but "Subscription" and "Auto Download"??? Finally! To all the whiners, just stick with your 3.rd party.:)

Lodoss
Jun 26, 2012, 04:39 PM
I just realized if you copy and paste a podcast feed URL (that's outside of iTunes) into the "Search" box, it will ask if you want to subscribe to the feed. :)

Thank you for figuring that out now all we need is to figure out how to get syncing across devices working

Warbrain
Jun 26, 2012, 04:40 PM
I think this is great! Call them idiots for beeing late to the party, but "Subscription" and "Auto Download"??? Finally! To all the whiners, just stick with your 3.rd party.:)

Try the auto download.

BruiserB
Jun 26, 2012, 04:40 PM

Doesn't work with a URL from Audible's podcasts. Wonder if the URL has to match something in the iTunes store to come up in "Search"?

Lodoss
Jun 26, 2012, 04:41 PM
Doesn't work with a URL from Audible's podcasts. Wonder if the URL has to match something in the iTunes store to come up in "Search"?

Think it has to be an RSS feed

T-Will
Jun 26, 2012, 04:43 PM

I used this URL to add a podcast: http://www.sonnydeejay.com//feeds/posts/default

MillerThyme
Jun 26, 2012, 04:44 PM
A little off topic, but in playing around with Podcasts I am realizing I cannot find audiobooks on iPad 2 under iOS6 beta 2. They are in still in Music on my phone but I can't find them anywhere on iPad.
Another sign of another thing they are removing from iTunes?

funnyboy88
Jun 26, 2012, 04:44 PM
Is it me or is this app useless if it doesn't sync subscriptions and downloads? If I set up 5 subscriptions on my iPad, why would I want to go through all that work to get those on my iPhone?

T-Will
Jun 26, 2012, 04:47 PM
Think it has to be an RSS feed

Bingo.

robbysibrahim
Jun 26, 2012, 04:47 PM
For those that took one glance at this then swore to never use or download it again and ran back to Downcast....

Why not run them in parallel like a good admin does? No one said you have to commit right now. And when set to stream episodes only then your storage isn't being scarified and you'll give yourself a chance to see if you like one more than the other. jmtc

Sorry, I just get annoyed when people make quick judgements. Like at a restaurant when you order one bad item and dismiss the entire restaurant forever.

pruppert
Jun 26, 2012, 04:51 PM
Is it me or is this app useless if it doesn't sync subscriptions and downloads? If I set up 5 subscriptions on my iPad, why would I want to go through all that work to get those on my iPhone?

Exactly. I don't know why they wouldn't at least include it as an option. To top it off, it kicks you out of the catalog every time you subscribe to a new podcasts, which makes the process of adding a long list of subscriptions even longer on multiple devices. Hopefully these things are addressed in an update.

In my limited testing so far, I have not been able to get the position syncing to work. Though, that feature was flaking out for me in Downcast the past few weeks as well. Does anyone know if there is a trick to get it to working?

The Phazer
The skeuomorphic controls are horrible. Setting up your subscriptions initially is painful - I've got to go through every podcast, clicking subscribe, then clicking auto-download (really???), then clicking how many I want to keep back down to a sensible level? And I can't even "add all" of my existing episodes?

Urgh.

That said, it will be worth it I suppose if background downloads actually work here.

happydude
i listen pretty much exclusively to podcasts while i run. will nike+ allow for choosing podcasts as media of choice? really don't want to lose this!!!!

BaldiMac
Jun 26, 2012, 04:54 PM

I'm not sure how a few minutes of setup makes it useless. It's a good feature request. Personally, I don't want the same subscription and downloads on all my devices. But if they could add a feature to let me indicate which podcasts I do want on all my devices, that would be great.

----------

That said, it will be worth it I suppose if background downloads actually work here.

"Auto Download allows you to automatically download new podcast episodes as they become available while the Podcasts app is running."

blow45
Jun 26, 2012, 05:04 PM
Rationalising? Nope, sorry. This is something I genuinely believe after a decade+ of creating and supporting bespoke software for non-technical people to use. The more you can simplify things the more likely they are to discover features for themselves. It's an approach that's clearly visible throughout iOS, especially on the iPhone. Apps tend to do one main task and that's it. Heck they've had Music and Video split for a long time now so this isn't really anything new at all.

You're talking about integration and finding 'creative ways' to do that... this is EXACTLY what Apple just did! They are approaching this from the point of view (rightly IMO although that is of course just my opinion) that the homescreen is the first level of any application. They've effectively moved Podcasts two levels up and allowing users to find it far more easily than the old location in the 'more' menu within music. Hell, if you want to group it with music put it in a folder, Podcasts are no further away in terms of taps than they would be on one of the four shortcut options within the music app itself!

Ultimately, and a quick read through this thread tends to support this theory, I'd expect the geeks to not like this change as they are used to information dense software that they can customise and tweak to their precise needs. That's fine, nothing wrong with that at all, but they're not the primary audience for this change. That's the vast number of non-technical users on iOS and I suspect that they will ultimately benefit from this change.

You are missing my point though. Apple has around 20 apps of their own, plus another 5-6 paid ones to buy that most users will (iwork, imovie etc.), that's 26 apps for a user to pick from, add to that another 50 apps at the very least each user will have on their ipad (don't make go over them :) I am sure you 'd agree another 50 apps is the minimum almost all will have) . Now podcasts aren't a really established medium, ok for some of us they 've been around so long we know, love and use them, but I am talking about most people. What's easier?

To make a well designed (and not the crap that's currently the music app), and I mean well designed in every sense, forward looking with some of the great stylings app store apps have that are inventive, ipod app including podcasts and audiobooks so the user get acquainted with them, and reminds themselves that there is such a thing as podcasts most everytime they go to ipod/itunes or make a separate one to get lost amongst the tons of apps each one uses?

To me the answer simple a separate podcast app will get be put by most people in an "apple" titled folder and never be used by anyone not already into podcasts, some might go, hmmm, what's that? I might check it out later, and never end up using it.

Splitting things up is not the point, there's no point to have an itunes u app, a podcast one, a vid one, a music one (well music one could be alone), an audiobook one, then a notes app, a reminders, a contacts, a calendar... The point is to integrate them well in the os. Apple just splits them out into deadly uninspired in looks single apps and thinks they have solved their problem.

Back when there was itunes on the ipad, I used to go there, and say, oh lets check some of my itunes u for something interesting, maybe a podcast, an audiobook. Now I have to go to 3-4 separate apps to do that, and for what? What's the point of that?

IronWaffle
Jun 26, 2012, 05:05 PM
I've been anxiously waiting to be able to subscribe directly to my device (not enough to test 3rd party apps), so I welcome the app.

That said, things I hope they add:

Ability to rate episodes (and add setting not to delete rated podcasts)
Smart playlist support
Chapter support (I haven't tested this yet, but doubt it's included)

Still, I hope (and doubt) the music app will keep podcast support so the new app can handle subscriptions but I can continue using smart playlists, ratings and manual, delete to manage my files. Thankfully, so far the music app itself is unaffected in my iPod.

techiegirl
Jun 26, 2012, 05:08 PM

Ability to manually delete

I am able to manually delete an episode now.

IronWaffle
Jun 26, 2012, 05:10 PM
I am able to manually delete an episode now.

Cool. I'll have to try again. Right now I'm mostly setting up subscriptions (which has been a bit laggy and crashy) and my few attempts didn't work. Thanks!

blow45
Jun 26, 2012, 05:12 PM
The skeuomorphic controls are horrible. Setting up your subscriptions initially is painful - I've got to go through every podcast, clicking subscribe, then clicking auto-download (really???), then clicking how many I want to keep back down to a sensible level? And I can't even "add all" of my existing episodes?

Urgh.

What was the last app apple designed that people said it's a great design? Boy I love what they did here. At best people have been lukewarm, most often just critical and unhappy. But I don't remember what the last free app was that people went, that's great, I love the interface, it looks good, it's enabling to the user.

Even Ive dissociated himself with the poor skeumorphic design on the ipad (skeumorphism isn't bad in itself, it's the lack of imagination and wisdom in doing it that's bad, eg. how should contacts look on os x (and calendar) slap in there what we've been doing for the ipad (a touch device), how should music look, do an old player kind of design...that's all hardly inspiring - do they even look at some of the greatness their own app store has???), that's all lowest common denominator stuff, and it's not what we've come to expect of apple...of Tim Cook's apple maybe, but not of the apple that got to the point of being run by Tim Cook.

rwilliams
Jun 26, 2012, 05:14 PM
I can't seem to understand how Apple didn't include subscription syncing via their own iCloud service in this release. And playback syncing appears to be very flaky as well based on reports from people around the 'net.

blow45
Jun 26, 2012, 05:23 PM
I've been anxiously waiting to be able to subscribe directly to my device (not enough to test 3rd party apps), so I welcome the app.

Ability to manually delete
Ability to rate episodes (and add setting not to delete rated podcasts)
Podcast notes support (for show notes)
Smart playlist support
Chapter support (I haven't tested this yet, but doubt it's included)

They ve still not added any of that?:confused::confused:

They released a podcast app that you can't rate podcasts, support show notes, and have some smart playlist functionality or manually delete???

Unbelievable... maybe in a year when they update it we 'll be actually able to read show notes and rate our podcasts so we know our favorites to listen to again...:rolleyes:

manu chao
Jun 26, 2012, 05:27 PM
It sounds silly but I hate that something called 'iTunes' manages apps, podcasts, movies and TV, as well as music.
There are a lot of podcasts which are 90% music. Grouping them with, ahm, actual music makes a lot of sense. But spoken podcasts (either news programmes or discussion shows) fit less well with music.

Lopes
Jun 26, 2012, 05:28 PM
For the life of me I can't get this new app to sync with iTunes on my Mac...played/unplayed status, position within podcast, nothing. But if I download an episode in the app and DON'T have it on my mac, it will transfer the file over...but that's where the syncing ends.

This is a deal breaker for me. I need to be able to sync the played position between when i listen in my car during my commutes back home to my mac when i pick the episodes back up at home.

manu chao
Jun 26, 2012, 05:30 PM
I wish there was support for non-itunes podcasts. A local radio station here releases all their shows, but I can't do it unless I'm connected to the PC and transfer them via itunes.
Do the other podcast clients support that radio station's podcasts?

JoeShades
Jun 26, 2012, 05:32 PM
Either this app is just terrible or it was not ready to be released, it does not sync

Amazing Iceman
Jun 26, 2012, 05:39 PM
It keeps crashing... Blah! Same as iTunes-U, crashes often.

IronWaffle
Jun 26, 2012, 05:39 PM
They ve still not added any of that?:confused::confused:

They released a podcast app that you can't rate podcasts, support show notes, and have some smart playlist functionality or manually delete???

Unbelievable... maybe in a year when they update it we 'll be actually able to read show notes and rate our podcasts so we know our favorites to listen to again...:rolleyes:

Two corrections to my original post you're responding to:
You can manually delete (another poster pointed this out to me)
Notes can be accesses using the "I" button in list view... I was looking for the old artwork overlay.

whsbuss
Jun 26, 2012, 05:40 PM
I'm not sure how a few minutes of setup makes it useless. It's a good feature request. Personally, I don't want the same subscription and downloads on all my devices. But if they could add a feature to let me indicate which podcasts I do want on all my devices, that would be great.

----------

"Auto Download allows you to automatically download new podcast episodes as they become available while the Podcasts app is running."

What happens when I'm out of wifi and decide to play a podcast..... auto download could then blow away my wireless bill.

T-Will
Jun 26, 2012, 05:45 PM
When I attempt to delete a podcast subscription it goes away temporarily, but it returns after I switch to another app then come back to Podcasts.app.

EDIT: Maybe it's just an issue with that particular subscription.

JoeShades
Jun 26, 2012, 05:46 PM
Total mess

manu chao
Jun 26, 2012, 05:48 PM

Yes and no. I would want to control which podcasts appear on which of my devices (eg, video podcasts on my iPad and audio podcasts on my iPhone). I would not want a new podcast to appear on all of my devices without being asked first.

techiegirl
Jun 26, 2012, 05:52 PM
I tested several video podcasts and noticed that it will stream (without downloading) on cellular but it will not download (3G and LTE) without wifi if your podcast is over 50megs.

TheGenerous
Jun 26, 2012, 06:01 PM
Personally, dislike the skeuomorphic tape deck.

Of all Apple skeuomorphs could be the most misleading UIs. I'd like to see no skeuomorphs at all at one point.

T-Will
Jun 26, 2012, 06:04 PM
A couple FYI's:

1. When accessing Settings -> General -> Usage, downloaded podcasts are listed under the "Music" app, not the "Podcasts" app.

2. After deleting Podcasts.app, downloaded podcasts remain in Music.app and will need to be deleted there (if you want to free up additional space).

MasterHowl
Jun 26, 2012, 06:04 PM
Anyone got syncing across devices working yet? Can't figure out how to configure it on across my Mac, iPhone and iPad...

andybrown44
Jun 26, 2012, 06:08 PM

Strange that it's the 3rd party app that's making better use of Apple's services. May as well uninstall this now as it's basically useless without iCloud syncing, and Downcast is rather nice anyway.

----------

Anyone got syncing across devices working yet? Can't figure out how to configure it on across my Mac, iPhone and iPad...

It only syncs between iOS devices (not Macs), and it's only for playback info, not subscriptions. It also does it via your Apple ID rather than iCloud. Bizarre choices by Apple.

louiek
Jun 26, 2012, 06:09 PM
I just want to be able to read the entire podcast title when browsing. Is that really too much to ask for?

blow45
Jun 26, 2012, 06:16 PM
Two corrections to my original post you're responding to:
You can manually delete (another poster pointed this out to me)
Notes can be accesses using the "I" button in list view... I was looking for the old artwork overlay.

cool. :) Cause it sounded too unbelievable even for current apple dev standards to put out a podcast app and not be able to rate podcasts or see show notes.

Rodster
Jun 26, 2012, 06:18 PM
Great app and lots of free stuff, love ESPN's PTI. :D

JoeShades
Jun 26, 2012, 06:20 PM
Strange that it's the 3rd party app that's making better use of Apple's services. May as well uninstall this now as it's basically useless without iCloud syncing, and Downcast is rather nice anyway.

----------

It only syncs between iOS devices (not Macs), and it's only for playback info, not subscriptions. It also does it via your Apple ID rather than iCloud. Bizarre choices by Apple.

According to the app description it is supposed to sync between Mac and PCs also

blow45
Jun 26, 2012, 06:21 PM

no comment...:rolleyes:

koolmagicguy
Jun 26, 2012, 06:27 PM

Did you....... read the article?????

Warbrain
Jun 26, 2012, 06:36 PM
Appears that the files don't auto-delete, either.

This is pretty worthless.

diamond.g
Jun 26, 2012, 06:40 PM

Which saddens me, cause I watched a bunch of podcasts and not only does it not auto delete them, but it doesn't even update in iTunes.

Lopes
Jun 26, 2012, 06:48 PM
Without the ability to update the podcasts back in iTunes this app is worthless to me. Gonna stick with the default music app until this thing gets updated.

pittpanthersfan
Jun 26, 2012, 06:51 PM

So, when I specify to keep only the "Most Recent Episode," it just ignores that? What do you mean?

ZepFloyd
Jun 26, 2012, 06:57 PM
another quirky thing imo:

if you are subscribed to a podcast and just click on the show you want to listen it will stream right in the app right. with the analog tape deck background and all.

but if you arent subscribed to a podcast and you click on an episode to stream it, it brings up just the empty quick time background. kind of weird, why not just stream that with the same analog tape background and all like the ones you're subscribed too.

not a big deal, but just found that odd.

Warbrain
Jun 26, 2012, 07:03 PM
So, when I specify to keep only the "Most Recent Episode," it just ignores that? What do you mean?

That's in iTunes. That will work. But if you want to exist outside of iTunes you don't get that choice.

KikoPT
Jun 26, 2012, 07:18 PM
I really don't like this app ... it seems that Apple is releasing stuff and not testing it / using it enough.

I don't know if it's just me, but try this:
- start playing an episode (i have a lot, so i never remember which number i'm on).
- stop
- quit app (home screen)
- do something else
- double click for the app manager
- quit podcast app from the app manager (press & wait, etc.)
- launch again
- OK, now, where the hell is the "now playing" button?!?!
- I can't find a way to get back to the currently playing podcast without manually selecting it. LAME!

C'mon Apple ... this is not what quality means.

And i can point out that it is SLOW AS HELL in my 3GS ... but i can understand that ...

andybrown44
Jun 26, 2012, 07:19 PM
According to the app description it is supposed to sync between Mac and PCs also

The only mention of Mac & PC in the App description are syncing "favorite episodes". This is referring to iTunes syncing. Episode playback is only between iOS devices as mentioned on the Apple support pages.

pittpanthersfan
Jun 26, 2012, 07:26 PM
That's in iTunes. That will work. But if you want to exist outside of iTunes you don't get that choice.

I do.

Warbrain
Jun 26, 2012, 07:33 PM
I do.

I just saw this in something else I read. I never saw that in the iPhone version. I have no idea what is happening with this app anymore.

Wow, they do not make this setting obvious do they?

ZepFloyd
Jun 26, 2012, 07:34 PM
I do.

whoa where did you get to settings in the app? not seeing it

autrefois
Jun 26, 2012, 07:46 PM
I just saw this in something else I read. I never saw that in the iPhone version. I have no idea what is happening with this app anymore.

Wow, they do not make this setting obvious do they?

They definitely do not. Was going to go complain about it not having 2x and 1/2x speed until I saw someone on here mention how to get to it. Just happened to accidentally come across the preferences for keeping podcasts, which is nice to have but not obvious to get to.

I'm all for things looking cool, but it is sometimes getting in the way of usability for this and other iOS and OS X apps. Based on the keynote, Address Book (soon to be Contacts) looks like it will be again more usable in Mountain Lion.

Maybe by the time iOS 6 comes out, they will tweak some things for us in the new Podcasts app. It's promising but doesn't seem polished right now. I like the little touches they're adding to things, as long as they do get in the way of the "big touches".

T-Will
Jun 26, 2012, 07:48 PM
whoa where did you get to settings in the app? not seeing it

You tap the header of the subscribed podcast.

BaldiMac
Jun 26, 2012, 07:49 PM
no comment...:rolleyes:

If only your intentions were not so transparent. Yes, it appears that I was wrong. But the initial question remains. Why would you have suspected that it wouldn't use iCloud? It's a very strange and unprecedented decision by Apple.

blow45
Jun 26, 2012, 07:54 PM
If only your intentions were not so transparent. Yes, it appears that I was wrong. But the initial question remains. Why would you have suspected that it wouldn't use iCloud? It's a very strange and unprecedented decision by Apple.

I really like to know what my intentions are since they are so transparent.:rolleyes:

Because they patch up these days instead of implementing things with proper solutions and services, that's why, it's no surprise to me at all that they wouldn't use icloud.

pittpanthersfan
Jun 26, 2012, 07:58 PM
They definitely do not. Was going to go complain about it not having 2x and 1/2x speed until I saw someone on here mention how to get to it. Just happened to accidentally come across the preferences for keeping podcasts, which is nice to have but not obvious to get to.

I'm all for things looking cool, but it is sometimes getting in the way of usability for this and other iOS and OS X apps. Based on the keynote, Address Book (soon to be Contacts) looks like it will be again more usable in Mountain Lion.

Maybe by the time iOS 6 comes out, they will tweak some things for us in the new Podcasts app. It's promising but doesn't seem polished right now. I like the little touches they're adding to things, as long as they do get in the way of the "big touches".

I don't know... They used the same right arrow that they use across all of iOS to denote contextual menus. Doesn't seem like that much of a stretch.

ZepFloyd
Jun 26, 2012, 08:21 PM
You tap the header of the subscribed podcast.

oh wow...that was simple enough. thanks

newagemac
Jun 26, 2012, 08:33 PM

From the requirements page:

"Optionally syncing episodes requires iTunes 10.6.3 or later"

Mine seems to be syncing just fine. It pretty much works the same as it as always did between iTunes and the Music apps on the iDevices.

SandboxGeneral
Jun 26, 2012, 08:33 PM
Unless I'm missing something, I don't see where I can link it using my Apple ID to the podcasts I'm subscribed to on my Apple TV. I'm logged in with my ID but in this new app, I don't see it importing automatically my currently subscribed podcasts.

I think that would be a great feature to have and be able to keep them sync'd so that my viewed podcasts are always up to date on my iOS devices, including ATV and iTunes on OS X or Windows.

newagemac
Jun 26, 2012, 08:37 PM

Actually you can do it right within the Podcasts app. You need to click on the little settings gear for all the options related to that. Seems there is quite a bit of misinformation in this thread.

Creibold
Jun 26, 2012, 08:58 PM
On my iPhone 4 this app is laggy as hell. As a first attempt, it's ok. It's a great idea to have a dedicated podcast app from the manufacturer, but it really doesn't compare that well to Instacast.

I will say this app would work better with, oh...perhaps a larger screen? Boy a few more pixels on top or bottom would be much better when scrolling through podcasts. ;)

BaldiMac
Jun 26, 2012, 09:10 PM
Unless something just went wrong, it appears that subscribing to a podcast in this app disables any sort of syncing with iTunes (Mac) for that podcast. No playback sync. No iTunes Wi-Fi Sync. No direct sync.

Is anybody getting different results?

diamond.g
Jun 26, 2012, 09:17 PM
I do.

ah so I need to turn on subscriptions. Oddly enough mine only gives the option to keep all episodes :confused:

BaldiMac
Jun 26, 2012, 09:18 PM
ah so I need to turn on subscriptions. Oddly enough mine only gives the option to keep all episodes :confused:

Tap where it says "Keep All Episodes" for more options. :)

garethjs
Jun 26, 2012, 09:18 PM
Unless something just went wrong, it appears that subscribing to a podcast in this app disables any sort of syncing with iTunes (Mac) for that podcast. No playback sync. No iTunes Wi-Fi Sync. No direct sync.

Is anybody getting different results?

I believe an updated iTunes is needed for the sync to work directly with the app. Just like how books (pdf) needed one to work with ibooks.app

I can't see why apple released this app so early. iCloud sync where subscribed podcast on 1 device appears on the rest (it doesn't have to d/l them just appear would have been good enough) is a much needed feature that obviously will come in due time.

But honestly this app should have come out at the iPhone 5 keynote where iOS6 has a GM announced.

BaldiMac
Jun 26, 2012, 09:27 PM
I believe an updated iTunes is needed for the sync to work directly with the app. Just like how books (pdf) needed one to work with ibooks.app

I can't see why apple released this app so early. iCloud sync where subscribed podcast on 1 device appears on the rest (it doesn't have to d/l them just appear would have been good enough) is a much needed feature that obviously will come in due time.

But honestly this app should have come out at the iPhone 5 keynote where iOS6 has a GM announced.

I agree. The timing seems odd. It appears to be designed for iOS 6. Maybe Apple felt the need to release it early, since it will be the only Apple option once iOS 6 is released. Work out the kinks while people still have the option to use the Music app. Syncing via the iTunes Store instead of iCloud is baffling.

EricNau
Jun 26, 2012, 09:38 PM
Ugh, the "forward" and "reverse" buttons on the lock screen still skip entire episodes. Total deal breaker for me.

It's important to me because there isn't adequate spacing between the play/pause and the skip buttons on the lock screen... sometimes I want to hit pause, and instead I get bumped to a new episode (even worse, with audiobooks I get sent to a new chapter, with no easy way to revert back to my original location).

It's just about the stupidest thing I've ever seen. I'll be sticking with Instacast, it seems.

sjinsjca
Jun 26, 2012, 09:41 PM
You need to go to that particular podcast's page in Safari, then click on the RSS link if there is one.

Doesn't seem to work with the RSS links provided by dar.fm.

jive turkey
Jun 26, 2012, 09:44 PM
To me it makes perfect sense to sync via the iTunes Store instead of iCloud, for two reasons:

1) It seems clear from things such as the "redeem" button that Apple will be offering paid subscription podcasts in the future. Since the iTunes store is already set up to collect money for digital audio sales, and millions of us have a credit card on file as part of our account, sales will be easy. I also suspect that at some point down the line we will see the option to make "in podcast purchases" (much of what Apple is doing with hardware, iOS and the iTunes store is moving towards them becoming a payment processor).

2) Many of us had the issue where our iCloud credentials differed from our iTunes Store information, so we are using different login information for the two accounts. By linking the new Podcast app with the iTunes Store account, it will make it easier to transfer already subscribed to podcasts to the new app. That is to say, when I subscribed to podcasts, it was under my iTunes account, not my iCloud account.

autrefois
Jun 26, 2012, 09:45 PM
I don't know... They used the same right arrow that they use across all of iOS to denote contextual menus. Doesn't seem like that much of a stretch.

The arrow is a lighter color (looks like they're doing color degradation) off in the middle of blank space (I suppose to allow for long podcast titles, or just so the thumbnail of the podcast isn't too small?), so your eye would not necessarily be drawn to this. And since the music app didn't let you control things such as subscriptions for individual podcasts, you wouldn't necessarily even know you should be looking for it.

And whereas one would expect to be able to adjust the brightness by clicking on brightness, or one's Wifi network by clicking on WiFi, or turn Location Services on or off by clicking an arrow next to "on", etc., one would as readily assume that clicking on the title of the podcast will allow you to change subscription options. I will give you that one might be curious as to what the arrow might do, but I don't think it is obvious that clicking on the title will let you change subscription preferences. After one discovers that that's what it's for, it makes sense.

Tapping to change speed is less intuitive. No arrow, you just have to get frustrated that there are no controls, tap the screen and hope it will do something, have the controls show up and puzzle out that a turtle and and rabbit must have to do with speed. Again, once you do it you will remember it, but it's not easily discoverable by thinking out what action will lead to the desired outcome, in my opinion. I'm sure others will disagree (obviously whoever designed the new podcast app does!).

NMF
Jun 26, 2012, 09:47 PM

The native music app already does that with WiFi sync...

Nice to have this separate though since I pretty much only listen to Podcasts anyway.

BaldiMac
Jun 26, 2012, 09:49 PM
To me it makes perfect sense to sync via the iTunes Store instead of iCloud, for two reasons:

1) It seems clear from things such as the "redeem" button that Apple will be offering paid subscription podcasts in the future. Since the iTunes store is already set up to collect money for digital audio sales, and millions of us have a credit card on file as part of our account, sales will be easy. I also suspect that at some point down the line we will see the option to make "in podcast purchases" (much of what Apple is doing with hardware, iOS and the iTunes store is moving towards them becoming a payment processor).

2) Many of us had the issue where our iCloud credentials differed from our iTunes Store information, so we are using different login information for the two accounts. By linking the new Podcast app with the iTunes Store account, it will make it easier to transfer already subscribed to podcasts to the new app. That is to say, when I subscribed to podcasts, it was under my iTunes account, not my iCloud account.

:confused: I'm not sure how that requires anything different than syncing settings through iCloud. Of course, In App purchases would be tracked through the iTunes Store just like in any third-party app.

It should work exactly the same as iBooks. Purchases and downloads are handled by the iTunes Store. Syncing is handled by iCloud automatically.

Westside guy
Jun 26, 2012, 10:11 PM
I used the new app on the way home today - man, that things a dog. Listening to the TWIT podcast, the 30 second skip function seemed to take about 10 seconds to actually perform the skip. And hitting buttons in general was not snappy.

I have older hardware (iPhone 3GS), but - this is just a friggin' mp3 player. If the hardware is the limitation, they're doing it wrong. These problems certainly don't occur with the existing music app.

rwilliams
Jun 26, 2012, 10:20 PM
I'm going back to Instacast. The syncing of playback position is still not working right for me, so I'll stick with Instacast's iCloud syncing. There are several other things that just seem off about this app. I think that it will be a more mature app by the time iOS 6 is released, but as of now, to someone who's used other podcast apps, this seems half-baked.

greggy
Jun 26, 2012, 10:38 PM
I notice that there is a bookmarking icon in the fourth image of the App Store screenshots, however this button is for sharing, in the actual app.
Shame, I was really looking forward to Bookmarks.

sjinsjca
Jun 26, 2012, 10:55 PM
Actually you can do it right within the Podcasts app. You need to click on the little settings gear for all the options related to that. Seems there is quite a bit of misinformation in this thread.

WHAT little settings gear?

Seriously... I've gone around and around with this app, and some of the UI features are delectable, but "little settings gear" eludes me!

EricNau
Jun 26, 2012, 11:09 PM
WHAT little settings gear?

Seriously... I've gone around and around with this app, and some of the UI features are delectable, but "little settings gear" eludes me!
I think it's only visible on the iPad.

i0Nic
Jun 26, 2012, 11:14 PM
Can someone answer this question for me:
Will new podcasts download automatically (over wifi) similarly to Newsstand background downloads?

Or at least, will all new podcasts start downloading automatically once I open the app/refresh and on wifi?

This is the most important feature for me, I've only spent a little time with the app so far and wondering if anyone can confirm or deny the above?

Westside guy
Jun 26, 2012, 11:42 PM
Can someone answer this question for me:
Will new podcasts download automatically (over wifi) similarly to Newsstand background downloads?

It appears to be downloading in the background over wi-fi, at least based on what I *think* I saw with a couple podcasts.

On a different note: It appears the Podcast app and the Music app are sharing the same database. I downloaded the Podcast app and then subscribed to a couple new podcasts with it. When I later opened the Music app, those new podcasts (and their episodes) were in there!