PDA

View Full Version : Intel HD 4000 - Cause of Crashing in 2012 Macbook Airs?

slumpey326
Jun 26, 2012, 12:51 PM
Alot of people are posting that the new 2012 macbook airs are crashing alot when using Chrome. Could the blame also be contributed to the Intel HD 4000 graphics. Thoughts?

GBlansten
Jun 26, 2012, 12:54 PM
I use Chrome on my 12 MBA and no issues at all so far.

slumpey326
Jun 26, 2012, 01:08 PM
what about watching videos thru chrome.

wenstinator
Jun 26, 2012, 03:26 PM
My MBA has crashed about 5 times over last 24 hours.

I've been running some fairly intensive calculations in Excel, but the culprit has always been Chrome (it happens while I am browsing in Chrome).

Additionally, in the crash report there is always the same reference:

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: Google Chrome He

AlanShutko
Jun 26, 2012, 03:45 PM
I haven't had any crashes, and I don't use Chrome. It does seem like Chrome might be triggering a graphics driver bug.

dyn
Jun 26, 2012, 04:41 PM
The fact that Chrome is crashing would be a very big hint to go look at Chromes crash report and find out what makes Chrome crash. It is only sensible to start looking at hardware components when you see other applications crash on something specific aka when there is a trend (something graphic intensive in this case).

amien
Jun 26, 2012, 04:52 PM
check the apple forum. many threats about chrome and the new air 2012.
I use safari for the time being.

AlanShutko
Jun 26, 2012, 05:02 PM
The fact that Chrome is crashing would be a very big hint to go look at Chromes crash report and find out what makes Chrome crash. It is only sensible to start looking at hardware components when you see other applications crash on something specific aka when there is a trend (something graphic intensive in this case).

It sounds like Chrome isn't crashing, but that there's a kernel panic that's happening while Chrome is running. An app should not be able to cause a kernel panic, but since Chrome is graphics intensive (and the HD4000 is new) it makes at least some sense it's triggering a bug in a new driver.

Stetrain
Jun 26, 2012, 05:07 PM
The crash logs mention both Chrome and the HD 4000 graphics. It may be a bug in Apple's HD 4000 driver that Chrome happens to trigger.

dcorban
Jun 27, 2012, 08:47 AM
I have had no problems. I do not use Chrome.

dyn
Jun 27, 2012, 08:59 AM
The crash logs mention both Chrome and the HD 4000 graphics. It may be a bug in Apple's HD 4000 driver that Chrome happens to trigger.
That or Chrome is doing something it shouldn't be doing which causes problems with the graphics driver which in turn causes the kernel panics. It is somewhere in this equation.