PDA

View Full Version : Apple Planning to Invest $1 Billion in New Data Center and Other Facilities in Reno, Nevada

MacRumors
Jun 26, 2012, 01:30 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/26/apple-planning-to-invest-1-billion-in-new-data-center-and-other-facilities-in-reno-nevada/)

The Reno Gazette-Journal reports (http://renomemo.rgj.com/apple-looking-to-open-facility-in-reno/) that Apple has proposed investing up to $1 billion over the next ten years to build a new data center and other facilities in the Reno, Nevada area. The data center would be located in unincorporated Washoe County, while a "business and purchasing center" would be located in a business park in downtown Reno.Today, the Washoe County Board of Commissioners is considering abatements for Apple's planned data center in the Reno Technology Park, located east of Sparks along Interstate 80.

Mike Folks, an Apple spokesman, said the company planning for the project to become operational later this year.

"We're looking at a 30-year relationship," Folks told commissioners.The data center, codenamed "Project Jonathan", is said to be planned to generate nearly 600 construction jobs and as many as 41 direct and 200 contractor jobs upon opening.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/reno_sign.jpg

Apple currently operates a major data center in Maiden, North Carolina and a much smaller one in Newark, California near the companies headquarters. Apple is also investing $250 million (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/04/20/apple-agrees-to-invest-250-million-at-oregon-data-center-site/) in a new data center in Prineville, Oregon.

Update: Apple has issued a statement to AllThingsD (http://allthingsd.com/20120626/apple-putting-more-chips-into-reno/) confirming its intent for the area."We hope to build Apple's next data center in Reno to support Apple's iTunes Store, App Store and incredibly popular iCloud services," Apple spokeswoman Kristin Huguet told AllThingsD. "If approved, this project would expand our presence in Nevada and create hundreds of construction jobs over the next year, plus permanent jobs at the data center which will add to our existing total of nearly 400 employees in the state."

Article Link: Apple Planning to Invest $1 Billion in New Data Center and Other Facilities in Reno, Nevada (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/26/apple-planning-to-invest-1-billion-in-new-data-center-and-other-facilities-in-reno-nevada/)

Peace
Jun 26, 2012, 01:36 PM
I wonder what the "other facilities" are.

If the data center here in Oregon costs $250M there's a big difference in expenditures.

d4rkc4sm
Jun 26, 2012, 01:37 PM
place could use a little cash injection

Stridder44
Jun 26, 2012, 01:39 PM
Very good news for Reno. And let's be honest, that place needs something like this

ipoppy
Jun 26, 2012, 01:40 PM
I really do hope this time Apple will allow storage of personal stuff and not only email, documents, contacts, calendar, photos which come from Mac environment. I can't believe that company that size and influence can't get that sorted as it has already been done by Microsoft or Google.

Randizzledante
Jun 26, 2012, 01:42 PM
As a resident of Reno, this is fantastic news. We DEFINITELY need the money. Thanks Apple, we look forward to having you :D

Glideslope
Jun 26, 2012, 01:42 PM
"The Assimilation Continues". Seriously, I'm very interested in "other facilities".

Could we see a small Production Facility for a single low demand product?

Drunken Master
Jun 26, 2012, 01:45 PM
Why build a data center in such a hot place though? Wouldn't you end up using more power to keep the building cool?

I guess there's less chances of natural disasters there though, no hurricanes or tornadoes to worry about.

bruinselmann
Jun 26, 2012, 01:46 PM
"Then we arrived in Reno, which is a bit like Las Vegas. Only worse."

- Jeremy Clarkson

carlgo
Jun 26, 2012, 01:46 PM
What do they plan to get the data from us to there and back again in a timely manner? Where is the bandwidth for all of this off-site storage stuff?

Russell L
Jun 26, 2012, 01:51 PM
This is great news for the Reno area. As a former semi-regular visitor, it was depressing to see the town slowly go downhill over the past several years.

surma884
Jun 26, 2012, 01:54 PM
Why build a data center in such a hot place though? Wouldn't you end up using more power to keep the building cool?

I guess there's less chances of natural disasters there though, no hurricanes or tornadoes to worry about.

Maybe they plan on using solar power?

nvbrit
Jun 26, 2012, 01:54 PM

It's only "hot" here for part of the year, we have very cold winters here.

I live in Reno and really hope this goes ahead, it will be great for our area!

Rocketman
Jun 26, 2012, 01:55 PM
That is a beautiful area of the country. I can see why they would locate purchasing managers there. It is also along the lines geographically of Prineville, OR although a bit further south.

I wonder if they are leasing or buying the space for the purchasing center.

It's near the capital of NV Carson City, short drive to awesome Lake Tahoe, moderate drive to Sacramento, the capital of CA, and along the way HP and Aerojet.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=reno,+nv&hl=en&ll=39.115145,-120.649109&spn=1.265815,2.581787&geocode=+&hnear=Reno,+Washoe,+Nevada&t=m&z=9

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=reno,+nv&hl=en&ll=39.549589,-119.542923&spn=0.314496,0.645447&geocode=+&hnear=Reno,+Washoe,+Nevada&t=h&z=11

Rocketman

eucsstamticc
Jun 26, 2012, 01:57 PM
Here comes Apple's new Cellular network! :D

:apple:

nvbrit
Jun 26, 2012, 01:57 PM
That is a beautiful area of the country. I can see why they would locate purchasing managers there. It is also along the lines geographically of Prineville, OR although a bit further south.

I wonder if they are leasing or buying the space for the purchasing center.

Rocketman

It's also close to the bay area and Apple HQ, which is only around 250 miles West of Reno

ChrisA
Jun 26, 2012, 02:00 PM

Solar panels work well in Reno. "Free" energy.

Also if you have enough capital you can get nearly free cooling too. What you do is dig a big hole in the ground and bury pipe. At some depth (maybe 15 or 20 feet) the solid stays at the average year day/night temperature which is not really very high when you consider that night and winter temps are averaged in. So. you can have "free" cool water for your air chillers. But you do need to spend up front to dig a big hole the size of a few large swimming pools.

This system works well in the places where it snows too. you get "free" too. Mostly anyplace around the US the water comes up at about 58F. THis works well for both summer cooling and winter heating.

Installing these system is a BIG business now, Need a job? Learn how to engineer these ground heat systems

nuckinfutz
Jun 26, 2012, 02:04 PM

If the data center here in Oregon costs $250M there's a big difference in expenditures.

First thing I though was "is the Oregon facility still a go?"

This kind of shows how Cloud computing is going to dominate the next decade. Data Center will be spread throughout the country and provide low latency access to data over wifi/cellular.

hobo.hopkins
Jun 26, 2012, 02:07 PM
And why should I care about this?

Because nearby residents should benefit from the expansion. Also, it just might slow down people incessantly spewing garbage about how awful and anti-American Apple is (because of Chinese manufacture). So nothing but positives relating to this story, really.

Trav29
Jun 26, 2012, 02:08 PM
Definitely good news for the Reno community.

cadillac1234
Jun 26, 2012, 02:11 PM

- Jeremy Clarkson

:(

Poor Reno...

I love the place. Even the grimy bits

jcpb
Jun 26, 2012, 02:11 PM
Instead of shoveling snow away after a major snowfall, shunt the stuff into a large windowless room. "Free" summer air-con and save power!

Glideslope
Jun 26, 2012, 02:15 PM

Pauses, thinks hard. Continues to think.............:cool:

charlituna
Jun 26, 2012, 02:18 PM
Shouldn't that be Project SIR Jonathan

iVoid
Jun 26, 2012, 02:19 PM
What do they plan to get the data from us to there and back again in a timely manner? Where is the bandwidth for all of this off-site storage stuff?

I think they'll invent something called the Internet to transfer the data where it needs to go.

If you use iCloud right now, it's already being stored in NC (probably). This just gives them more room to grow and some redundancy when NC falls into the ocean. :)

Smiles77
Jun 26, 2012, 02:19 PM

Also if you have enough capital you can get nearly free cooling too. What you do is dig a big hole in the ground and bury pipe. At some depth (maybe 15 or 20 feet) the solid stays at the average year day/night temperature which is not really very high when you consider that night and winter temps are averaged in. So. you can have "free" cool water for your air chillers. But you do need to spend up front to dig a big hole the size of a few large swimming pools.

This system works well in the places where it snows too. you get "free" too. Mostly anyplace around the US the water comes up at about 58F. THis works well for both summer cooling and winter heating.

Installing these system is a BIG business now, Need a job? Learn how to engineer these ground heat systems

That was educational. Thank you.

Vulpinemac
Jun 26, 2012, 02:20 PM

Considering the name given to this project, I begin to wonder if it doesn't include a manufacturing/assembly plant.

Of course, like NC, I'm sure they'll also be adding a solar/fuel cell power system to stay off the grid or maybe even feed any excess to the grid.

karl878
Jun 26, 2012, 02:21 PM
Spotted this article from 11/2010 about Reno Technology Park. It gives you some of the reasons why people were looking at putting a data center in this location.

http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2010/11/15/large-reno-project-to-generate-its-own-power/

Vulpinemac
Jun 26, 2012, 02:23 PM

Not all that hot.
Different type of cooling system that doesn't draw as much power as typical AC.
Solar power.

Do any of these make a difference?

bazinga!!
Jun 26, 2012, 02:24 PM
they should make a reno 911 episode with apple :D

nuckinfutz
Jun 26, 2012, 02:29 PM
Spotted this article from 11/2010 about Reno Technology Park. It gives you some of the reasons why people were looking at putting a data center in this location.

http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2010/11/15/large-reno-project-to-generate-its-own-power/

Interesting.

Thanks for the link.

ucdortbes
Jun 26, 2012, 02:37 PM
This is gonna be Apple's biggest little mistake.

MaxGravy
Jun 26, 2012, 02:38 PM
This is great news! Most of my family is in Northern Nevada and I plan to retire there someday. Maybe I can get a part-time job at the data center. :D

lifeinhd
Jun 26, 2012, 02:40 PM

- Jeremy Clarkson

That was the first thing I thought of as well when I saw the picture :o

What does that say about me, I'm an American who thinks of a quote from a British TV show host when confronted with a picture of an American city :rolleyes:

rmwebs
Jun 26, 2012, 02:41 PM
This is good news for the whole iCloud front. They really do need one in Europe though.

writingdevil
Jun 26, 2012, 02:46 PM
This is gonna be Apple's biggest little mistake.

Care to share why, other than a personal opinion?

ajnewman
Jun 26, 2012, 02:46 PM
Great news!

Siri could help me find my marbles @ BRC. :)

AJ

Drunken Master
Jun 26, 2012, 02:53 PM

Cool, maybe they can build data centers into hillside cave dwellings? :)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2018/2326909930_c4097d27e9.jpg

MaxGravy
Jun 26, 2012, 02:53 PM
Dowtown Reno IS NOT east of Sparks. :confused:

JHankwitz
Jun 26, 2012, 02:54 PM

Lots of sunshine for solar panels which can also shade the building from the sun. Also sandstorms to etch the glass on solar panels to greatly reduce efficiency.

Stridder44
Jun 26, 2012, 02:56 PM
This is great news for the Reno area. As a former semi-regular visitor, it was depressing to see the town slowly go downhill over the past several years.

Amen to that. It's a beautiful area, and that city has so much potential. It just needs the proper cash influx. Plus it'd be great to have a proper "Las Vegas 2.0" for NorCal residents.

ucdortbes
Jun 26, 2012, 02:56 PM
Care to share why, other than a personal opinion?

Oh sorry, I have made a huge tiny mistake by assuming the Arrested Development reference would land.

There I go again.

MaxGravy
Jun 26, 2012, 03:02 PM
Oh sorry, I have made a huge tiny mistake by assuming the Arrested Development reference would land.

There I go again.

Nerds don't get jokes unless you explain them very carefully.

ericrwalker
Jun 26, 2012, 03:04 PM
Yup, and geothermal heating and cooling is awesome.

Pamani
Jun 26, 2012, 03:06 PM
This would be great for Reno. Would be great for me if my company bids to run the airflow in the buildings.

nvbrit
Jun 26, 2012, 03:11 PM
Dowtown Reno IS NOT east of Sparks. :confused:

Nowhere does the article say that Downtown Reno is East of Sparks, it says "Reno Technology Park, located east of Sparks along Interstate 80" which is correct as Reno Technology Park is located East of Sparks.

Thunderhawks
Jun 26, 2012, 03:18 PM

You forgot FREE Wi-Fi

jesmith09
Jun 26, 2012, 03:23 PM

You aren't serious are you? Cooling costs? It's only hot in Reno three months out of the year, and the temperatures fall into the 50s and 60s at night. Fall and Spring are mild, and winter isn't all too serious. Aside from that....cooling costs pale in comparison to other cost advantages. Real estate in Reno is dirt cheap since the bust. Taxes in Nevada are incredibly low, there is a large and inexpensive labor force that currently suffers from a high rate of unemployment (see supply/demand). Those factors outweigh cooling costs by light years. Operating in Newark, CA is far more expensive due to those factors.

Some of the comments on this thread are unbelievably dim witted.

Contrary to what your snarky tag suggests.....no, you're not always correct. In fact, this time, you're just....simple.

----------

Lots of sunshine for solar panels which can also shade the building from the sun. Also sandstorms to etch the glass on solar panels to greatly reduce efficiency.

We don't have sandstorms here.

Mike Valmike
Jun 26, 2012, 03:24 PM
I just talked to my buddy Jim Dangle in Reno, and he says it's for real. He's thinking of leaving local law enforcement to work security for Apple, assuming they need a shift supervisor.

jesmith09
Jun 26, 2012, 03:25 PM

Image (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2018/2326909930_c4097d27e9.jpg)

Excellent point....oh wait, that picture is from another continent. That's what we like to call loess, or anchored sand.

kirky29
Jun 26, 2012, 03:37 PM
they should make a reno 911 episode with apple :D

One of the best shows ever made!

Navdakilla
Jun 26, 2012, 03:43 PM
hopefully the end result sparks reno up a bit

never been, but from the comments I can imagine

Matt-M
Jun 26, 2012, 03:44 PM
Considering the name given to this project, I begin to wonder if it doesn't include a manufacturing/assembly plant.

Pretty sure that name refers to a species of apple, not to a certain designer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_(apple)

Drunken Master
Jun 26, 2012, 03:46 PM
You aren't serious are you? Cooling costs? It's only hot in Reno three months out of the year, and the temperatures fall into the 50s and 60s at night. Fall and Spring are mild, and winter isn't all too serious. Aside from that....cooling costs pale in comparison to other cost advantages. Real estate in Reno is dirt cheap since the bust. Taxes in Nevada are incredibly low, there is a large and inexpensive labor force that currently suffers from a high rate of unemployment (see supply/demand). Those factors outweigh cooling costs by light years. Operating in Newark, CA is far more expensive due to those factors.

Some of the comments on this thread are unbelievably dim witted.

Contrary to what your snarky tag suggests.....no, you're not always correct. In fact, this time, you're just....simple.

Did we wake up on the wrong side of the bed today?

It's OK honey, happens to the best of us.

Dae
Jun 26, 2012, 03:52 PM
WHOA! I always thought "the biggest little city in the world" sign was made up in Fallout 2. :p

karl878
Jun 26, 2012, 03:54 PM
Reno has a very dry climate, so using evaporative cooling there can be a very efficient cooling option.

Article on evaporative cooling (Utah Data Center Uses Evaporative Cooling Along Way to 80% Energy Savings):
http://www.environmentalleader.com/2010/02/26/utah-data-center-uses-evaporative-cooling-along-way-to-80-energy-savings/

Chart of relative humidities, see Reno's low morning numbers:
http://lwf.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/online/ccd/avgrh.html

Brien
Jun 26, 2012, 03:54 PM
Great news. Now lets just hope they use some of this money to fix up downtown... Lots of potentiat for a proper hidtpric district, e.g. downtown Sacremento, Santa Rosa, etc.

Rocketman
Jun 26, 2012, 03:57 PM
This is good news for the whole iCloud front. They really do need one in Europe though.How much do you wanna bet they choose Georgia or Ukraine?

Matt-M
Jun 26, 2012, 03:57 PM
hopefully the end result sparks reno up a bit

never been, but from the comments I can imagine

It is actually quite a pretty location, if seen from afar...

http://marulla.com/files/reno.png

BornAgainMac
Jun 26, 2012, 04:02 PM
Reno reminds me of Tatooine. Nevada will be a good tax shelter compared to California and in addition to the sun it also gets very windy there.

BobCollins
Jun 26, 2012, 04:04 PM
How is Newark California near the companies headquarters?

nvbrit
Jun 26, 2012, 04:10 PM

well according to Google Maps, it's only 22 miles away so I would say that's "near"

Laird Knox
Jun 26, 2012, 04:31 PM

Reno reminds me of Tatooine. Nevada will be a good tax shelter compared to California and in addition to the sun it also gets very windy there.

Seriously?

Now it all makes sense (http://youtu.be/lj3iNxZ8Dww)

Daalseth
Jun 26, 2012, 04:33 PM

Image (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2018/2326909930_c4097d27e9.jpg)
That looks so cool. where is that? (It's not Nevada)

allanincali
Jun 26, 2012, 04:51 PM
Found this interesting article at IP.

http://www.investorplace.com/2012/06/7-dark-sides-of-apple/

Tax Evasion
Apple is an immensely profitable company that operates globally, yet part of that profitability is a calculated strategy to open subsidiaries and locate offices in tax-free havens to reduce the income tax it pays. Perhaps the most blatant of these measures is its subsidiary Braeburn Capital, located in corporate-tax-free Nevada to avoid the 8.84% corporate tax rate in California, where Apple’s headquarters is located. According to The New York Times, Apple paid just $8.3 billion in taxes worldwide in 2011, which equates to a 9% tax rate. Walmart (NYSE:WMT), in comparison, pays a 24% tax rate.

bedifferent
Jun 26, 2012, 04:53 PM
I'm telling you ;)

theBB
Jun 26, 2012, 05:00 PM
According to The New York Times, Apple paid just $8.3 billion in taxes worldwide in 2011, which equates to a 9% tax rate. Walmart (NYSE:WMT), in comparison, pays a 24% tax rate.
Apple's taxes are also in the twenties percentage wise. Financial reports from each quarter publishes the estimated tax rate pretty clearly and none of them are anywhere near 9%. The idiots at NYT effectively compared Apple's revenue in 2012 with its taxes for the previous year. As Apple's profits were growing rapidly, that changed the percentage substantially. There is a Forbes article describing it in more detail, but it is a bit late at night for me to find the exact link now.

SD449
Jun 26, 2012, 05:04 PM
This could turn out to be a bit of a gamble

Laird Knox
Jun 26, 2012, 05:10 PM
This could turn out to be a bit of a gamble

*groan*

doobybiggs
Jun 26, 2012, 05:14 PM
Well, I wonder if they will be paying straight up cash for everything ;)

Slovak
Jun 26, 2012, 05:19 PM
Please reference this thread next time someone whines about Apple moving all jobs to China. The people employed here will be making multiples of iPhone production line workers. Overall economic impact to build a facility like this...

----------

Solar power year round.

jcpb
Jun 26, 2012, 05:27 PM
Found this interesting article at IP
Apple doesn't want to pay taxes? STOP THE PRESSES!

Fact is, Google essentially admitted to doing the same thing on their last conference call.

BTW
Jun 26, 2012, 05:59 PM
Nice! Apple is taking over the world. :D

8CoreWhore
Jun 26, 2012, 06:08 PM

Lots of sun for those solar panels.

Rocketman
Jun 26, 2012, 06:25 PM
Article: Apple earlier this year approached local and state officials about opening one of its data centers in Northern Nevada as part of a 2,200 acre project east of Sparks known as the Reno Technology Park, said Steve Polikalas, one of the principle developers behind the project.

2200 acres is about 3.4 square miles. This is going to be a solar farm.

Article:
Land and Construction $14.6m
Backbone Infrastructure $64.6m
Equipment $1000m

That is a BUNCH of capital investment, mostly not real estate.

I wonder if all of a sudden the bandwidth in Reno for all residents will increase by 10x?

Is that trickle down?

Just Rocketman

silroc
Jun 26, 2012, 06:30 PM
Sounds like a gamble to me!

Thanks, I'm here all weekend

wikus
Jun 26, 2012, 06:39 PM
I wish they invested some of that money and gave us an alternative to iTunes strictly for music playback since iTunes in its current form is one big bloated mess.

petsounds
Jun 26, 2012, 06:42 PM

Perhaps they plan to build a solar farm as well?

Philpug
Jun 26, 2012, 07:14 PM
As a Reno resident...woo-HOO!

Drunken Master
Jun 26, 2012, 07:26 PM
That looks so cool. where is that? (It's not Nevada)

China.

Jasonr94102
Jun 26, 2012, 07:33 PM

It's amazing, and embarrassing how stupid the average American is. The climate in Reno is ideal for passive cooling strategies. The fact that this is not common knowledge is disgusting. Other users have already commented about the possibilities, albeit even their posts are laughably simplistic.

Combined with the proximity to corporate HQ in Cupertino, this is an excellent site functionally. Finding people locally to staff it could be tough, getting people to move there tougher... But money can solve any problem and Apple definitely has it.

Unfortunately, I too have experienced Reno. It is an awful place, and had I remained there much longer surely would've committed suicide. I remember pulling off the freeway and stopping at a 7-11... The clerk noticed our license plate and she said, "you guys From California?" to which we replied yes... She then said, "wow, I wish you could take me with you". She had the saddest eyes I have ever seen. Her disposition was that of a defeated person, no hopes pr dreams, or oportunities... Even when joking about a stranger taking her away to California... There was an honesty and desperation in her small talk. Never... Even traveling through awful places like Mississippi, South Carolina, and Arkansas have I ever experienced anything so depressing.

----------

It is actually quite a pretty location, if seen from afar...

Image (http://marulla.com/files/reno.png)

On my first cross country drive, I approached the city of El Paso... The sun had gone down and as I passed over the crest of the last hill, suddenly all of these lights... Like a carpet of stars lay below and before me... I thought it was beautiful...

Then I stopped to get gas and discovered it is basically a filthy Mexican shanty town. I suppose anything can be beautiful if you're far enough away.

jonnysods
Jun 26, 2012, 07:49 PM
Every time I hear about more jobs being created in North America it makes me happy. Keep the economy rolling!

Drunken Master
Jun 26, 2012, 08:19 PM
It's amazing, and embarrassing how stupid the average American is. The climate in Reno is ideal for passive cooling strategies. The fact that this is not common knowledge is disgusting. Other users have already commented about the possibilities, albeit even their posts are laughably simplistic.

Combined with the proximity to corporate HQ in Cupertino, this is an excellent site functionally. Finding people locally to staff it could be tough, getting people to move there tougher... But money can solve any problem and Apple definitely has it.

Unfortunately, I too have experienced Reno. It is an awful place, and had I remained there much longer surely would've committed suicide. I remember pulling off the freeway and stopping at a 7-11... The clerk noticed our license plate and she said, "you guys From California?" to which we replied yes... She then said, "wow, I wish you could take me with you". She had the saddest eyes I have ever seen. Her disposition was that of a defeated person, no hopes pr dreams, or oportunities... Even when joking about a stranger taking her away to California... There was an honesty and desperation in her small talk. Never... Even traveling through awful places like Mississippi, South Carolina, and Arkansas have I ever experienced anything so depressing.

----------

On my first cross country drive, I approached the city of El Paso... The sun had gone down and as I passed over the crest of the last hill, suddenly all of these lights... Like a carpet of stars lay below and before me... I thought it was beautiful...

Then I stopped to get gas and discovered it is basically a filthy Mexican shanty town. I suppose anything can be beautiful if you're far enough away.

You really are a negative person aren't you?

Most people don't know the average year round temperature of Reno, Nevada. Big deal.

You said it's a craphole anyway and that's how most people perceive it, as an uninteresting desert city.

And the same thing goes for the person who's trying to equate everyone in this thread to Miss USA and her fumbling answer. Somehow I think not knowing that Reno is 84 right now and not 104 isn't exactly analogous to saying "the Iraq" and thinking Africa is a country.

Next time someone pisses in your cereal why don't you go blow off some steam before posting here.

Jasonr94102
Jun 26, 2012, 08:34 PM
You really are a negative person aren't you?

Most people don't know the average year round temperature of Reno, Nevada. Big deal.

Yes. I am. Although I prefer Realist. It's not my fault that most real things are negative. People like you are the reason for that. :)

I don't know the average year round temperature of Reno. I do have a basic understanding of geographic regions... Especially those of the country I live in. :rolleyes:

You said it's a craphole anyway and that's how most people perceive it, as an uninteresting desert city.

It's not uninteresting at all! Quite the opposite! White trash crapholes are always amazing... How they don't realize how much they suck, and continually fail at their attempts to make themselves relevant.. Yet people continue to choose to live there. It's fascinating!

Next time someone pisses in your cereal why don't you go blow off some steam before posting here.

Haha!

Rocketman
Jun 26, 2012, 08:40 PM
The climate in Reno is ideal for passive cooling strategies. The fact that this is not common knowledge is disgusting. The only one in this story that needs to know is Apple. You can be sure they are right on top of it. The undisclosed fact in this story is geothermal. You sure didn't bring it up. Should we all judge you?

Rocketman

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=geothermal+reno&oe=UTF-8&fb=1&gl=us&hq=geothermal&hnear=Reno,+Washoe,+Nevada&t=h&z=11

http://money.cnn.com/video/technology/2011/08/29/t_bsg_geothermal_reno.cnnmoney/

http://www.gdareno.com/

http://search.nrel.gov/query.html?qp=&style=eere&qs=&qc=eren&ws=0&qm=0&st=1&nh=10&lk=1&rf=0&oq=&col=eren&qt=reno&x=0&y=0

Jasonr94102
Jun 26, 2012, 09:00 PM
The only one in this story that needs to know is Apple. You can be sure they are right on top of it. The undisclosed fact in this story is geothermal. You sure didn't bring it up. Should we all judge you?

Rocketman

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=geothermal+reno&oe=UTF-8&fb=1&gl=us&hq=geothermal&hnear=Reno,+Washoe,+Nevada&t=h&z=11

http://money.cnn.com/video/technology/2011/08/29/t_bsg_geothermal_reno.cnnmoney/

http://www.gdareno.com/

Umm... Don't think I specifically brought up evaporative cooling, thermal mass, solar power, or geothermal... Among others.... What did you think I was referring to, though?

I don't believe I made any attempt to discuss specifics as 1.) the possibilities are obvious to anyone who is not an idiot, and 2.) there is not enough space here for a full discussion of these issues... Not to mention this is not the forum for it.

I was simply replying to the representative stupidity of the average post regarding this article.

I'm sure apple knows all of this. That was the original point.

As for judging me, go for it, why would I give a ****?

----------

I work in architecural design. I have to educate average American idiots about sustainable building every day. It's designating that our culture values ignorance and stupidity and that so much of my time is wasted teaching idiots **** they should already know instead of moving forward with the design.

AidenShaw
Jun 26, 2012, 09:19 PM

Close enough that the "big one" earthquake could knock out both of them.

(Newark is about 25 km from Cupertino - that's "near")

Rocketman
Jun 26, 2012, 09:27 PM
I work in architecural design. I have to educate average American idiots about sustainable building every day.Where?

Jasonr94102
Jun 26, 2012, 09:30 PM
Where?

As I have been quite dickish in my postings thus far, I believe you can understand why I would not wish to provide specific information. :)

No good could come from it.

Chrisg2014
Jun 26, 2012, 10:16 PM
At this rate, some day on the back of my iPhone it will read, made in America! or it could also read Made in Antarctica, When apple finally decides to colonize it and put 5,000 golden iPhones in boxes to see who gets a free right. HAHA FREE I MAKE MYSELF LAUGH! You had to buy the iPhone and then buy your ticket there and a house and serve the great support bar genius for salvation!

Ping Guo
Jun 26, 2012, 10:21 PM

Geothermal heat pump systems are catching on in the NE where I'm from. The big barrier is the upfront cost compared to a standard HVAC system. They can cost tens of thousands for a decent sized house, much more for a commercial installation. It takes many years to recognize any savings over a standard setup, at current electricity/oil prices. That said, they're wonderfully efficient, if I were building a new house I would definitely do it.

TC400
Jun 26, 2012, 10:59 PM
Reno 911 anyone?

haha loved that show. never seen the movie though

Drunken Master
Jun 26, 2012, 11:17 PM
Yes. I am. Although I prefer Realist. It's not my fault that most real things are negative. People like you are the reason for that. :)

I don't know the average year round temperature of Reno. I do have a basic understanding of geographic regions... Especially those of the country I live in.

Listen buddy, I saw Reno 911, I think I'm pretty qualified on the subject if I may say.

doobybiggs
Jun 26, 2012, 11:26 PM
At this rate, some day on the back of my iPhone it will read, made in America! or it could also read Made in Antarctica, When apple finally decides to colonize it and put 5,000 golden iPhones in boxes to see who gets a free right. HAHA FREE I MAKE MYSELF LAUGH! You had to buy the iPhone and then buy your ticket there and a house and serve the great support bar genius for salvation!

nope... wont ever happen. China exploits labor way better than the US

JPF16
Jun 26, 2012, 11:55 PM
Umm... Don't think I specifically brought up evaporative cooling, thermal mass, solar power, or geothermal... Among others.... What did you think I was referring to, though?

I don't believe I made any attempt to discuss specifics as 1.) the possibilities are obvious to anyone who is not an idiot, and 2.) there is not enough space here for a full discussion of these issues... Not to mention this is not the forum for it.

I was simply replying to the representative stupidity of the average post regarding this article.

I'm sure apple knows all of this. That was the original point.

As for judging me, go for it, why would I give a ****?

----------

I work in architecural design. I have to educate average American idiots about sustainable building every day. It's designating that our culture values ignorance and stupidity and that so much of my time is wasted teaching idiots **** they should already know instead of moving forward with the design.

I'm sorry, I can't hear you when you're all the way up there on your high horse :rolleyes:

tom vilsack
Jun 27, 2012, 01:00 AM
I live in vanc,cdn...but have flown and driven (great drive) to reno well over 10+ times...great little city...thxs apple!

George Zeed
Jun 27, 2012, 03:30 AM
I lived in Arizona for a while which has very similar weather to Reno. I think the fact that the data center is protected from most of the devastating weather you see on the East Coast as well as the issues with California make it a prime area. A disaster recovery plan will hopefully not have to be administered.

Not all that hot.
Different type of cooling system that doesn't draw as much power as typical AC.
Solar power.

Do any of these make a difference?

whtheck
Jun 27, 2012, 06:49 AM
This is great news for Northern Nevada! I have been a resident in this beautiful part of the country for 15 years after moving from the over congested California. It is cold here though, I'm not sure where most people get Reno weather facts from? As I'm writing this it's 45 degrees. It snows, it's more windy then hot. we are over 100 degrees for maybe one week out of the year. A lot of big names set up camp with their distribution centers here like Amazon which is 45 mins away in Fernley, Wal-Mart, Petsmart, 1800flowers, ToysRus, JC Pennys...ETC. It's cheap tax and good central location to service the west coast.

radge
Jun 27, 2012, 08:16 AM

The heat isn't as big of a deal as some people make it out to be. This is a pretty cool article about how eBay is putting forth some new stuff at the DC in Phoenix.

http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2012/02/ebay-desert-data-center/

FrankHahn
Jun 27, 2012, 08:16 AM
The photo brought back a lot of memories. I could recognize several buildings in the photo since I worked there for three summers when I was in college.

CADer
Jun 27, 2012, 12:51 PM

----------

Holy crap you are so right! It is embarrassing how stupid people are! Including YOU!

You are basing your opinion about a city on a white trash 7-11 attendant....wow! Three cheers for the intellect!

And the rest of you on here...Sandstorms! So hot! High winds! please be informed before you spout lies. Never have I been in a sandstorm in Reno, ever! A few months in the summer it might get to the high 90's but always cools down at night, I find San Diego humidity to feel way warmer. Wind is hear and there, mostly south of Reno nearing Carson City. The 7-11 attendant are mostly foreign like everywhere else, but who goes into a gas station these days anyway, to buy overpriced snacks?

But yes I do agree that downtown is kinda loosing it... I drive through downtown and wonder why people walk these streets, mostly homeless I guess. But you must not go through downtown Reno just a mini Las Vegas of casinos and really who goes to casino these days...the trashy old lonely people.

I live and work in Reno and Sparks so I might be biased but I was born and raised in San Diego and find having everything from snowboarding, wakeboarding, surfing, fishing, kayaking, (all on the clean and salt free Lake Tahoe), some of the best mountain biking courses, all within 30 min drive is great, but that is because I enjoy the outdoors and not just the computer screen.

Ok rant over!

Dang Reno is so Ugly! Taken from the Reno side of the Tahoe Rim Trail last Tuesday.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/77362739/Photos/TRT/TRT_s.jpg[COLOR="#808080"][COLOR="#808080"]

eelkefolmer
Jun 27, 2012, 03:13 PM

Reno and Sparks are both a 100% geothermal powered. The steamboat plant that powers reno actually only runs at half capacity and its impossible to export power to california due to legislation. They have been trying to get big data centers her for a while, but this news is absolutely fantastic. Microsoft and Intuit already have a strong and growing presence here. There are numerous benefits to being in Reno: No income tax, no traffic problems, and after the housing bubble burst nice and affordable housing. Add 300 days of sunshine and 15 ski resorts within an hour driving, Lake Tahoe and an amazing community and I can totally see why people are moving here from the Bay area.

Chrisg2014
Jun 27, 2012, 08:10 PM
nope... wont ever happen. China exploits labor way better than the US

I know :( still crossing my fingers though for Antarctica!

Mike Regans
Jun 28, 2012, 02:17 AM
I was thinking the same thing as the last time I visited Nevada, at least the part I visited was in extreme poverty. I'm sure the WHOLE stats isn't that way but I would think the taxes would help the parts of the state that need it most.

I like they are thinking of using Solar energy. :)

Very good news for Reno. And let's be honest, that place needs something like this

Sackvillenb
Jun 28, 2012, 11:20 AM
Hopefully this will make iCloud more stable. Not that it's not (it usually works great), but when a company encourages everyone to move to the cloud, that cloud had better work almost perfectly! Those rare outages need to be less rare!

doobybiggs
Jun 28, 2012, 04:46 PM
I know :( still crossing my fingers though for Antarctica!

LOL!

I would be curious to see if they actually built a complex up there how much they would actually save or not save with the cooling costs.

CFreymarc
Jun 28, 2012, 07:48 PM
Woohoo! Now every Apple employee gets to write off their Tahoe ski weekends as business expenses!

Chrisg2014
Jun 28, 2012, 11:01 PM
LOL!

I would be curious to see if they actually built a complex up there how much they would actually save or not save with the cooling costs.

If they need some heat they just need to turn on they're New iPads. I hear those things get hot, or even the iPhone 3GS Or a Macbook and play some hard core video games. Problem solved, they may even need to invest in some AC units to make it cooler JK lol

doobybiggs
Jun 29, 2012, 07:48 AM
Woohoo! Now every Apple employee gets to write off their Tahoe ski weekends as business expenses!

thats a legit write off .. I am sure apple will patent it :rolleyes: