Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

winterlocked

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 19, 2010
With the retina display being part of the screen housing in the new Macbook Pros, that would seem to clear one of the engineering hurdles that make the bezel so massive in the current macbook airs.

I'm hoping we'll see larger in-built screens with smaller bezels in the next generation macbook airs, or possibly a unification of the line, using a 13" retina screen in the 11" housing, offering the best of both worlds.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
I think Retina screens on the next model are quite likely. But I think Apple will keep the 11 and 13 inch Air sizes with smaller bezels.

mikeytrend

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I was hoping this technology would've been implemented in the MBAs alongside the RMBP. That way they can switch to a glass screen with reduced glare over their other glass screens and provide better colors/contrast.

I'd like to also see retina displays and if not smaller bezels, at least black bezels. Coming from a MBP, the mismatch of the keyboard and bezel bothers me a little bit.

jsolares

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
Land of eternal Spring
With the retina display being part of the screen housing in the new Macbook Pros, that would seem to clear one of the engineering hurdles that make the bezel so massive in the current macbook airs.

I'm hoping we'll see larger in-built screens with smaller bezels in the next generation macbook airs, or possibly a unification of the line, using a 13" retina screen in the 11" housing, offering the best of both worlds.

Thoughts?

I dunno, the display assembly of the Air is still thinner than the one in the retina macbook pro

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
I doubt that the bezels will get much smaller. Especially as you go thinner, things like the backlight LEDs and cables have to be on the edges of the LCD, rather than behind it.

The 11" Air has a pretty large bezel proportionately, but that's because Apple wanted an 11" 16:9 LCD (probably something that they could get a good deal on from manufacturers) while keeping the footprint of the notebook large enough to fit everything inside.

I also really doubt that we'll see retina display Airs for a couple of years. It seems obvious to me that Apple really wants the Air to be their main entry level machine. They keep moving the prices down and bumping the performance and features. I think they want the Air to replace the 13" MBP as the standard college laptop.

Keeping the retina displays in the Macbook Pro line will provide a distinction between the lines and allow them to charge more to cover the additional cost of the screens. It also allows them to fit in more battery than the Air.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.