PDA

View Full Version : Got my MBA and can't do what I bought it for

asattwanger
Jun 26, 2012, 04:16 PM
Man what a great looking, feeling, and performance is great for what I can get it to do.

Trouble is I can not upload videos from either of my Sony camera's. Some how the remote ass. w/ Apple Care was able to some how. He couldn't do it twice on command and it popped up all of a sudden 10 mins later.

So, I have $1300 2012 computer that can't talk to $800 2012 camera for video or a $400 2010 video camera? What's the deal with this?

I like the computer, but I have had it 5 days and can not even get close to bring out the features every one say Mac's are great for.

GGJstudios
Jun 26, 2012, 04:19 PM
I like the computer, but I have had it 5 days and can not even get close to bring out the features every one say Mac's are great for.
If it doesn't do what you need, return it for a full refund.

KPOM
Jun 26, 2012, 04:22 PM
If it's a software incompatibility, check first to see if there are updated drivers from Sony. What is the issue? Is it not recognizing the camera, or is it recognizing the camera but not completing the upload? What was your previous setup? Was it a Mac or Windows PC? Did you connect through Firewire or USB? If you give us more facts, we might be able to help.

If all else fails, it comes with a 14-day return period. Macs are great, but sometimes manufacturers of other products aren't good with keeping drivers up to date.

asattwanger
Jun 26, 2012, 04:37 PM
Yeah, been reading and it clearly pointed out that Sony and Mac and not friends and don't work well with each other even when you get the correct apps to correct the issue.

Well, I could not upload videos. I could see the "no name" devise and the Mpeg logos came up, but I could not play them. I'm connecting via USB. So, I called Apple Care and the guy git me up load VLC and now I can see and hear the videos, but I can not import them to iMovies.

In iMovies I can not see my video camera at all. Like I said the remote asst. guy some how got it open but some how is not what I paid for. I tried 3 times and got nothing today. The vids that did come up yesterday I can not hear any audio?

What was I using before? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA 8yr old Pent 4. w/ Windows XP. Plug, the camera in and a way she goes.

jsolares
Jun 26, 2012, 04:48 PM
Yeah, been reading and it clearly pointed out that Sony and Mac and not friends and don't work well with each other even when you get the correct apps to correct the issue.

Well, I could not upload videos. I could see the "no name" devise and the Mpeg logos came up, but I could not play them. I'm connecting via USB. So, I called Apple Care and the guy git me up load VLC and now I can see and hear the videos, but I can not import them to iMovies.

In iMovies I can not see my video camera at all. Like I said the remote asst. guy some how got it open but some how is not what I paid for. I tried 3 times and got nothing today. The vids that did come up yesterday I can not hear any audio?

What was I using before? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA 8yr old Pent 4. w/ Windows XP. Plug, the camera in and a way she goes.

seems like the codec used by the camera is not supported by quicktime, try installing perian (http://perian.org/), what are the models of the camera?

bumzo1
Jun 26, 2012, 04:52 PM
How 'full' is the camera? If you have a ton of videos on the camera, iMovie will try to index all of the video before it will pop up. I have a canon camcorder and with 32gb of video it can sometimes take 10 minutes to fully register with final cut pro.

KPOM
Jun 26, 2012, 04:56 PM

Worst case, just get a copy of Windows XP and download Virtual Box (a free virtualization program), and connect your camera from XP as you did before. I'd try the other codecs, though.

The issue seems to be that iMovie isn't compatible with the format of your Sony camera. There may well be other Mac software that is. Unfortunately, when your OS is 4% of the global PC market, peripheral manufacturers sometimes blow you off.

brentsg
Jun 26, 2012, 04:59 PM
Maybe if you provided the model of the Camera people could help?

barebackbadger8
Jun 26, 2012, 05:11 PM
can you see it, if you go to spotlight and type image capture
????

kodeman53
Jun 26, 2012, 05:14 PM
Man what a great looking, feeling, and performance is great for what I can get it to do.

Trouble is I can not upload videos from either of my Sony camera's. Some how the remote ass. w/ Apple Care was able to some how. He couldn't do it twice on command and it popped up all of a sudden 10 mins later.

So, I have $1300 2012 computer that can't talk to $800 2012 camera for video or a $400 2010 video camera? What's the deal with this?

Your thread title is misleading. Your problem is with Sony and OSX, not the MBA and Sony. You'd probably get more and better help posting this in the OSX forum.

As others have suggested, install Parallels and create an XP virtual machine by importing your existing XP box. Or get a fix from Sony.

asattwanger
Jun 27, 2012, 04:37 AM
Thanks for the heads up to OSX section.

Crazy enough I think Bumzo1 might be on to something. Late last night I got it to load the preview list three times directly from the camera. Each time was about 7-10 mins.... Yes the camera has almost 14Gb on it. I guess there is a difference in how each program "really" works the info it get from the first time you see it.

Sony DCR-SX63

I'm going to dump the vids into my external via the Windows unit and the shoot some more stuff and see what the wait time is.

Anyone have any idea on how to get the audio track to play?

christophermdia
Jun 27, 2012, 10:21 AM
Change the recording format of your camera to mp4. Then it will read fine.

Mikey-Mike
Jun 27, 2012, 12:17 PM
I can edit stuff off my Nikon D5100 using my MBA and FCP-X fine.

Solution: You need to upgrade to Nikon or Cannon!

petrucci666
Jun 27, 2012, 12:34 PM

Why don't you just use ImageCapture to import them onto your Mac and then try playing them from the Mac instead of the camera itself?

Try downloading the previous version of VLC. Not the newest version. For me, the newest version starts playing and crashes immediately so I went back to the version before, works great now!

marioman38
Jun 27, 2012, 06:32 PM
What filetype does your sony produce? MPEG2? Make sure you have perian (http://perian.org/) installed that might fix any issues you have.

Otherwise get a new camera :confused:

Mikey-Mike
Jun 27, 2012, 10:45 PM
MPEGstreamclip (http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html)

If you convert whatever file your camera is putting out to one that iMovie likes that might be the charm.

Like others have said you might have to have Perian installed or Flip 4 Mac. I have them both.

iMovie likes DV

FCP likes ProRes format

iBrody
Jun 28, 2012, 01:54 AM
To import video from my Sony NEX camera, I just plug the camera or SD card in and then navigate into the video folder and drag the files into my mac.

You should then be able to use your software of choice with the file.

JonLa
Jun 28, 2012, 11:07 AM
Are you connecting the camera directly or connecting the SD (or other) card via a reader? Sounds silly but our work Canon isn't recognised by iMovie/FCPX but the CF memory card *is* recognised when plugged into an external reader, and imovie imported the videos directly