PDA

View Full Version : Auto picture layouts in Quark/InDesign

jammiefreerider
Jun 26, 2012, 04:47 PM
...in fact, in any program...

Does anyone know of any program that can do auto layout, say for a set of 6x4in photos on SRA3 with crop marks... Auto layout of images would make my life a hell of a lot easier as a printer.

MechaSpanky
Jun 27, 2012, 09:45 AM
jammiefreerider,

I used to use a plugin for Quark Xpress that did what you are asking for, it was called QXP PhotoBook but they don't sell it anymore. I think that they stopped selling the plugin because in Quark Xpress 9 you have ImageGrid which does basically the same thing. ImageGrid allows you to make a catalog sheet for images. If you have Quark Xpress 9, give it a try.

If you have an older version of Quark, Quark Xpress is highly scriptable, so you might be able to find an AppleScript out there that someone else has already made that will do what you are looking for. If not, you can try and make one yourself that suits your needs. If you aren't very familiar with AppleScript, there are plenty of tutorials online that will walk you through the basics. I don't know how scriptable InDesign is but I can imagine that it is scriptable too. I use InDesign a lot nowadays but I have never tried to do any scripting with it. I'm sure that there are scripts out there for it.

Good luck,
Mecha