Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DanStirling

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2012
Hi all,

I wonder if someone could help me out? I'm trying to find a way to improve audio quality for an iPhone app, but as always memory is also an issue.

I've been doing the following:-

1. Convert a .wav into AAC (caf)
2. iPhone user downloads AAC which gets converted to ima4 on the device (to allow several sounds to play simultaneously).

The problem in finding is that with some acoustically rich sounds, the conversion to ima4 doesn't sound great.

I've tested this further by using afconvert to convert my files from wav to AAC, then to ima4. The same issue happens. The only way I've been able to improve it is to put another conversion in between to an 88.2 PCM file. When I then convert to ima4, it sounds fine. However, it's then double the size and I'm guessing iOS won't play an 88.2 sample rate since iTunes doesn't.

All that to say, is there another way of improving the conversion to ima4 so that I can stay at 44.1, and not have such a drastic increase in file size?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.