Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dcslacker

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
I'm moving to Lion from Snow Leopard with my new MBP. First tried to reinstall my apps to reduce clutter, found out I couldn't figure out how to keep my iTunes and iPhone sync from the old HDD, migrated my old user files using Migration Assistant and ended up creating a second user instead. Then it started acting weird and freezing up all the time. So now I'm trying a clean install of Lion from the built-in recovery disk.

When I choose the recovery disk, it needed an internet connection to download "additional components." I thought the recovery partition didn't need to be connected to the internet for that. I even made a recovery USB stick from the Lion recovery assistant and that still needs an internet connection.

My question is that is there a way to create a bootable USB recovery disk that doesn't require an internet connection and downloading stuff?

I know that my convoluted way of migrating my old stuff from my old HDD somehow created this mess. It's totally stressing me out. :mad:

blatopilot

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2011
There are many ways to go about this if I understand your issue correctly. You can use the DMG image when booted from an external drive..you could erase the hard drive that you want to install the new OS on via disk utility. Then format it. Open the DMG and select the newly erased drive when prompted during the install process..This is a way I have done it, but it boils down to preference.

I may be raising a question rather than answering, but I'm wondering if booting with CMD+R is any different than booting holding "option"...I'm wondering if holding option while it boots and selecting the recovery drive if it will act any differently...

Hopefully someone more clever in this area can assist further.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.