PDA

View Full Version : B&H Photo base MBA 13" w/8gb ram shipping times

SoIsays
Jun 26, 2012, 07:12 PM
For those who bought the 2012 base 13" with 8gb of ram, how long did delivery take from order to your hands? Also, has anyone returned a custom macbook from B&H? They offer a really good deal with the free Parallels and heavily discounted AppleCare. I am seriously considering buying it.

TDW
Jun 26, 2012, 07:15 PM
Here is the link:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=cart_accessories&A=details&Q=&sku=874910&is=REG

bumzo1
Jun 26, 2012, 08:26 PM
I just placed my order for that very machine and am wondering the same thing.

cygy2k
Jun 26, 2012, 08:34 PM
Their return policy says they don't allow returns or exchanges on any computers (hardware or software) if the package is opened. Anybody have DIRECT experience with their return handling for laptops?

SoIsays
Jun 26, 2012, 09:08 PM
Bummer, I called Apple and they told me that B&H isn't an authorized Apple reseller. They are allowed to sell Apple products but according to the Apple rep, Apple will not guarantee the product you buy from them. If there is a problem, you have to get B&H to fix it for you.

ugahairydawgs
Jun 26, 2012, 09:29 PM
Bummer, I called Apple and they told me that B&H isn't an authorized Apple reseller. They are allowed to sell Apple products but according to the Apple rep, Apple will not guarantee the product you buy from them. If there is a problem, you have to get B&H to fix it for you.

That makes zero sense. Apple would have no way of knowing where you purchased one of their computers.

jmoore5196
Jun 26, 2012, 09:29 PM
I'm certainly not calling you a liar, but I find your comment from the Apple rep a little hard to believe.

B & H is an extremely reliable and reputable company ... much moreso than MacMall and some other "authorized resellers" I can name.

Their website refers to the B & H "Apple Store" and notes that B & H is a "value added reseller." Every transaction I've had with them - including the iMac on which I'm typing this post - has been flawless.

bumzo1
Jun 26, 2012, 09:42 PM
B&H is a value added reseller, as in they go above and beyond what a normal apple reseller would do in order to accommodate professional buyers. Apple will still fully honor the warranty but what the rep was talking about was if you wanted to exchange it for some reason, you would have to do that through BH and would not be able to at an apple store..

SoIsays
Jun 26, 2012, 10:17 PM
B&H is a value added reseller, as in they go above and beyond what a normal apple reseller would do in order to accommodate professional buyers. Apple will still fully honor the warranty but what the rep was talking about was if you wanted to exchange it for some reason, you would have to do that through BH and would not be able to at an apple store..

Yeah, they are a value added reseller in that they sell it to consumers or businesses as part of a turnkey solution. I've dealt with Dell VAR's in govt and private industry buying and we would buy from them at a slightly higher price due to their superb service in accomplishing all of our wants and needs in a way that Dell couldn't. The thing is, they are a VAR to businesses and not individual consumers. If you go to the Apple site and go search for resellers in NYC, the categories that qualify B&H as resellers is in the business solutions.

It's probably ok to buy this bundle but should Apple be jerks (they're known to be jerks sometimes and if B&H sell a ton of these bundles, you know Apple will pay attention) then you're short.

----------

That makes zero sense. Apple would have no way of knowing where you purchased one of their computers.

Having serial numbers makes it easy to track where a certain product was purchased. I'm guessing B&H buys from Apple and resells it to you. As outrageous as this sounds, should you have to do some kind of controversial service needed to be done at Apple, a super jerk genius could tell you to fly a kite. Again, it's probably ok to buy from B&H, but I don't have a deep enough bank account like some people on this site to take this risk.

ugahairydawgs
Jun 26, 2012, 10:18 PM
Spoke to an Apple rep tonight. Said it is fine as long as you're buying a new model (as opposed to a refurb from a 3rd party).

SoIsays
Jun 26, 2012, 10:19 PM
Oh c'mon, who would negative my cautious consumer previous reply? Tim Cook is that you?

crazyxzer0
Jun 26, 2012, 10:22 PM
I'm very tempted on ordering from them since it means I would save a good chunk on the applecare.

ugahairydawgs
Jun 26, 2012, 10:25 PM
I'm very tempted on ordering from them since it means I would save a good chunk on the applecare.

Sales tax too (provided you aren't in NY).

crazyxzer0
Jun 27, 2012, 12:29 AM
Sales tax too (provided you aren't in NY).

I'm in California so yup!

Apple.com EDU discount
13" Air 8GB 128GB + applecare + $100 app store = $1543.68

Apple.com Regular Store
""" """ = $1689.45

B&H Photo
"" "" same without $100 app store card + free parallels 7 = $1399.00

savings of $144.68 or $290.45

:D

The shipping times looks like it will be 8 days when the MBA arrives to B&H.