Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dba415

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
Why doesn't iOS have a dedicated dictionary app? Seems like it is dumb to not have an app, considering iOS has a dictionary built-in. I can type anything in notepad and can define it using iOS, but I can't go into an actual app where I can type the word I need defined.

I have Merriam Webster on my iPhone but it's just a waste of space that can be alleviated if there was a dedicated dictionary app.

iPhoneApple

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2011
I have Merriam Webster on my iPhone but it's just a waste of space that can be alleviated if there was a dedicated dictionary app.

The app would still take up space. I would rather have the option of downloading the app.

Jaden10

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2011
I've been wanting this for a while too!
Even the Mac has its own dictionary app. Also, it would be cool if the dictionary was added to Spotlight on iOS just like it is on the Mac. The dictionary app could be similar to the Mac one, with a dictionary, thesaurus, and Wikipedia (and how about some pronunciation).

rajivvarma

Cancelled
Aug 19, 2008
Dictionary+

I've been using Dictionary+ for the last few months on my iPhone and iPad. It's free and universal, and it utilizes the built-in dictionary.

Unfortunately I can't seem to find it anymore on the App Store. I hope it was not forced down by Apple.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jagardn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
iOS has a built in Dictionary. Double tap and hold until the magnifying glass pops up, move to the word you want then select "Define" from the menu. I used to use an app until iOS5 added the built in dictionary.

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
The app would still take up space. I would rather have the option of downloading the app.

I don't think an Apple Dictionary app would take up much space. Whereas a third party dictionary would take up much more space because of their own definitions and content, the iOS dictionary app could just be an "empty app" that has access to the built-in dictionary, and has a list as well as a search option.

crovian

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2010
I've been using Dictionary+ for the last few months on my iPhone and iPad. It's free and universal, and it utilizes the built-in dictionary.

Unfortunately I can't seem to find it anymore on the App Store. I hope it was forced down by Apple.

this is the one I use too. can't believe it was free while it was still in app store.
tried a bunch of other dictionary apps, but this one is much more simpler and actually apple-esque
fav dictionary app

rajivvarma

Cancelled
Aug 19, 2008
I've uploaded my copy of Dictionary+ if you want to give it a try.

I had to change the filename to .pdf to upload; just change it to .ipa to get the file back to normal. [Note: I removed the file since you need to be authorized in order to use even a free .ipa]

Also, I contacted the author of the app, and they said that Apple had it removed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

I had to change the filename to .pdf to upload; just change it to .ipa to get the file back to normal.

Also, I contacted the author of the app, and they said that Apple had it removed.

Lame! :(

I still have it, and it still restores from iCloud backup... Guess I better be careful.

rajivvarma

Cancelled
Aug 19, 2008
Yeah, here's hoping it either continues working well on iOS 6 or that Apple has a dedicated app in the works.

dba415

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011

I had to change the filename to .pdf to upload; just change it to .ipa to get the file back to normal.

this is cool but I can't use it because I'm not authorized

:(

mattraehl

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2005
There used to be several built-in dictionary front-end apps, it seems like they are no longer in the App Store, I can only assume Apple booted them, which is stupid.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
Why doesn't iOS have a dedicated dictionary app? Seems like it is dumb to not have an app, considering iOS has a dictionary built-in. I can type anything in notepad and can define it using iOS, but I can't go into an actual app where I can type the word I need defined.

Why not just use dictionary.com app? Or Safari?

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009

Having the dictionary built-in would not really save any space, but I think it should be built-in. A dictionary is something that every computer should come with. Or it should at least be able to use an online dictionary resource to look up words.

----------

Why not just use dictionary.com app? Or Safari?

It's a pain to have to do that every time. If you right-click a word in Mac OS, it lets you ask for the definition, and it shows it to you right there from within the app you are running.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
I wish there was an app like Dictionary+ still available so I wouldn't have to waste an extra 100mb on other apps such as Dictionary.com. There's no point to have the same info in an app thats already built into the OS, it just needs a GUI.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
Why? Google's a better dictionary than a standalone app ever could be.

Not really. Apple's built in dictionary is much more detailed and gives etymology and more than just the basic definition. Being able to select a word and define it is much easier than opening a new tab and typing the word into Google.

I really want a dictionary app too or at least be able to type into Spotlight. Sometimes I find myself finding a random text field to type my word and then define it. I don't know why Siri doesn't define words using Apple's dictionary. Wolfram Alpha's definitions don't even make sense.

quasinormal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Sydney, Australia.
Why? Google's a better dictionary than a standalone app ever could be.

The OS X/ios dictionaries are absolute crap in my opinion. I get so frustrated writing because the ineptness of the spell correction distracts my somewhat dyslexic efforts. I generally need to google the word I need to spell.

rajivvarma

Cancelled
Aug 19, 2008
I wish there was an app like Dictionary+ still available so I wouldn't have to waste an extra 100mb on other apps such as Dictionary.com. There's no point to have the same info in an app thats already built into the OS, it just needs a GUI.

I still have that useful app on my 5.1.1 4S, and I'm gonna feel bad when I have to upgrade to iOS 6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.