PDA

View Full Version : Any scientists using this MBA- Can you comment on the performance?

Delilah14
Jun 26, 2012, 09:33 PM
Hello,

I want to purchase the 2012 MBA, 13" , 128 SSD model with 8GB of RAM. Portability is extremely important to me as I am always on the go.
I need to run Matlab, one note, SPSS, and Latex. Most of the time together.
Does anyone here use a MBA for Matlab? Could you please comment on the performance? I really don't want it to slow down or lag as I deal with 3D and 4D matrices. I did up the RAM, but is this good enough?
First Mac, so I have all these questions :)

Thanks

GREEN4U
Jun 26, 2012, 09:41 PM
Hello,

I want to purchase the 2012 MBA, 13" , 128 SSD model with 8GB of RAM. Portability is extremely important to me as I am always on the go.
I need to run Matlab, one note, SPSS, and Latex. Most of the time together.
Does anyone here use a MBA for Matlab? Could you please comment on the performance? I really don't want it to slow down or lag as I deal with 3D and 4D matrices. I did up the RAM, but is this good enough?
First Mac, so I have all these questions :)

Thanks

My classmates say that we can get any computer because all the programs we need are on designated lab computers.

tey112
Jun 26, 2012, 10:38 PM
What are you doing in matlab? If you have a sample m file that is compatible with octave, I'll run it for you to get a rough idea. For data analysis you should be golden. I just got my 13" i5 8gb air today and it is as snappy and hits the same benchmarks as my 2011 pro 2.7ghz.

Source: I have done some heavy work in that before that I'm pretty sure killed my 2006 MBP from heat (back in 2009).