PDA

View Full Version : Apple Delaying Early Retina MacBook Pro Orders for Some Business Customers

MacRumors
Jun 26, 2012, 11:04 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/27/apple-delaying-early-retina-macbook-pro-orders-for-some-business-customers/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/retinambp-150x84.jpg

MacRumors has received word today from several customers who have received emails from Apple indicating that their launch-day purchases of Retina MacBook Pro machines through Apple's enterprise sales channel have been delayed by up to a month. The customers had been quoted shipping estimates of 7-10 business days at the time of ordering, but today's emails from Apple cite new shipping dates of on or before July 25.Dear Apple Customer,

Thank you for your recent order.

Purchase Order#: xxxxxxxxxx
Sales Order#: xxxxxxxxxx
Ship-to Zip Code: xxxxx

Due to an unexpected delay, we are unable to ship the following item(s) by the date that you were recently quoted:

Z0ML, MBP 15.4/CTO
will now ship on or before
Jul 25, 2012

Please note that product availability can change rapidly, and it is possible that your order may ship much sooner than we anticipate. You may even receive a shipment confirmation between the time we send this email and the time that you read it.It is unclear exactly what is triggering the delays in shipping estimates, although all of those who contacted MacRumors about the delay indicated that they had customized the high-end model with 768 GB of solid-state storage but did not upgrade from the stock 2.6 GHz processor.

The Retina MacBook Pro has been in high demand since its introduction during the keynote of Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference earlier this month, with shipping estimates slipping to 2-3 weeks (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/12/shipping-estimates-on-new-retina-macbook-pro-slip-to-2-3-weeks/) within hours of launch before settling at 3-4 weeks (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/13/retina-macbook-pro-shipping-estimates-slip-to-3-4-weeks-as-initial-shipments-begin/) a day later. Estimates have remained at that 3-4 week timeframe since that time.

Article Link: Apple Delaying Early Retina MacBook Pro Orders for Some Business Customers (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/27/apple-delaying-early-retina-macbook-pro-orders-for-some-business-customers/)

Prof.
Jun 26, 2012, 11:06 PM
It'll be interesting to see what their rMBP sales are when they release the report.

Xscapes
Jun 26, 2012, 11:07 PM
Why not just grab one in a local Apple Store?

jtap
Jun 26, 2012, 11:07 PM
I just hope the high demand doesn't impact the build quality..

scarred
Jun 26, 2012, 11:10 PM
Yield problems on the display is the most probable cause...

Rudy69
Jun 26, 2012, 11:10 PM
Brutal....glad I managed to get one early!

ender21
Jun 26, 2012, 11:11 PM

Not all configurations are available in local stores. I'm a business customer and my local store has called me several times to let me know they have a "very limited supply now in stock," yet all of their in-stock configurations have been limited to 8GB of RAM.

blumpkin
Jun 26, 2012, 11:12 PM
It's tough to manage 5+ million very small people for each and every panel. Be patient.

faroZ06
This used to happen with the iPhones, but MBPRs?? The economy must not be as bad as people make it out to be.

reden

Because the Apple Stores don't carry certain configurations maybe? I ordered a 512GB, 2.7GHz with 16GB of RAM. I spoke to a couple Apple stores and they only get shipments of the 2.7GHz, 768GB, 16GB RAM and other standard configs.

faroZ06
Jun 26, 2012, 11:13 PM

Maybe they're all out. I'm assuming they ship to the Apple Store and the online orderers from the same location.

velocityg4
Jun 26, 2012, 11:18 PM
This used to happen with the iPhones, but MBPRs?? The economy must not be as bad as people make it out to be.

I doubt Apple had nearly the number of these ready for launch as iPads. Since the report says 768GB SSD models are being affected. Apple likely had not expected much demand for such an expensive SSD. I'd assume they would have also ordered 16GB RAM.

djcinsb
Jun 26, 2012, 11:19 PM
Because the Apple Stores don't carry certain configurations maybe? I ordered a 512GB, 2.7GHz with 16GB of RAM. I spoke to a couple Apple stores and they only get shipments of the 2.7GHz, 768GB, 16GB RAM and other standard configs.

Even that model has not yet reached my local Apple store -- I'm (supposedly) at the head of their list when one arrives.

doobybiggs
Jun 26, 2012, 11:19 PM

when has that ever been the case?

Mr. Retrofire
Jun 26, 2012, 11:22 PM
Read the article!

Z0ML, MBP 15.4/CTO
will now ship on or before
Jul 25, 2012
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Configure-to-order

jav6454
Jun 26, 2012, 11:23 PM

Not all Apple Stores will carry the 16GB RAM ones. At least small stores don't.

Aco Strkalj
Jun 26, 2012, 11:27 PM
I returned my Pro. Didn't appeal to me that much. The hype dies in the first week after you play with it.

It's a great machine though. I just prefer the Air.

zzLZHzz
Jun 26, 2012, 11:32 PM

the well-to-do people aren't affected by that.

i guess apple didn't expect the demand for max ssd.

weaponEX
Jun 26, 2012, 11:37 PM
We're still waiting for rMBPs in South Korea.
But what is another month of waiting after so many months already.

Saikkou
Jun 26, 2012, 11:45 PM
I had to order mine through the University tech store, full specs. I hope I don't have to wait til the end of July.

btbeme
Jun 26, 2012, 11:45 PM
No worries...just a legally-mandated auto reply if the original date is in danger of being missed. I'd bet a day's wages that the vast majority of these are in the users' hands in a week or two, tops.

un10101
Jun 26, 2012, 11:48 PM

Because the local Apple stores don't have any in stock at this time, unfortunately. It's just like almost any other anticipated Apple launch product. They'll be out for a month or so, then it will pick up.

----------

With Apple, I doubt it will. We'll see, though. It'll be interesting, nonetheless.

SiriusExcelsior
Jun 26, 2012, 11:57 PM
It's tough to manage 5+ million very small people for each and every panel. Be patient.

I hope you mean 5+ million very small pixels.. otherwise we're going to have another investigation into Apple/Foxconn's (child) labour practices ;)

doobybiggs
Jun 26, 2012, 11:58 PM
I returned my Pro. Didn't appeal to me that much. The hype dies in the first week after you play with it.

well ya not an upgrade really ... unless you got the retina version

WestonHarvey1
Jun 27, 2012, 12:01 AM

Often?

We're already seeing yellow screens, unevenly colored screens (ala retina iPads), and now a ghosting problem (like a mini temporary burn-in, sort of like the old Apple Cinema Displays) in the RMBPs.

Apple is going through some serious growing pains with their retina displays.

AidenShaw
Jun 27, 2012, 12:10 AM
Often?

We're already seeing yellow screens, unevenly colored screens (ala retina iPads), and now a ghosting problem (like a mini temporary burn-in, sort of like the old Apple Cinema Displays) in the RMBPs.

Funny that Microsoft gives beta stuff away for free, and Apple charges top dollar for it.

vikpt
Jun 27, 2012, 12:28 AM
13 in. Retina Macbook Pro please!!! :D

Lancer
Jun 27, 2012, 12:29 AM
This has always been the same with new products, it takes lime for them to ramp up production. As for buying in store, good idea but the stocks are limited and most store only stock the base models and if I was in the market for a MBPr it's Max the RAM and get the biggest SSD I could afford considering the limited after market upgrades.

vpro
Jun 27, 2012, 12:35 AM

what is that saying, oh ya -- "the calm before the storm" *wink* the worst of the bad is just winding up to the breaking point - it has to happen - it has happened in the past, history repeating itself.

ixodes
Jun 27, 2012, 12:39 AM
Don't be mislead. Apple is the master of illusion.

They're also one of the finest marketing masterminds of all.

By giving the impression that they're hard to get. Orders grow to massive proportions.

Never, ever... Underestimate Apple.

dfaust
Jun 27, 2012, 12:49 AM
I just got notification tonight that my MBPr was shipped... will arrive on Monday...

Dear [my name],
We're happy to let you know that the items below are on their way to you. We also included delivery estimates and tracking information next to your shipping address.

Thanks for your time and for shopping with Apple.
- The Apple Store

Configuration

2.6GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
768GB Flash Storage
No VGA Adapter
No Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
KYBD/USER'S GUIDE
COUNTRY KIT

faroZ06
Jun 27, 2012, 12:56 AM
I just got notification tonight that my MBPr was shipped... will arrive on Monday...

Well, the guy I bought my Mac Pro from on eBay still hasn't shipped it (it's been over a week), so now we have to report him and get the refund and get another one. Stupid scammers.

macduke
Jun 27, 2012, 12:57 AM
Mine was supposed to be delivered by Friday at the earliest, but it got here on Tuesday morning! UPS said it was in Shanghai at about 3pm—then it was at my door at 8am CDT. It was crazy—I was so confused when someone was knocking on my door this morning! Now that's some fast shipping.

I love this thing. I can't put it down. Even my wife said "You know, I usually don't care about computer stuff at all—but that's the nicest screen I've ever seen!" You know your product is amazing when someone like my wife takes notice—usually she doesn't give two craps about the latest "MacPro Book". I think I saw some drool on her face today. Maybe I'll pick up an Air for her when they go retina.

Some of my observations today:

OMG I CAN SEE FOREVER
It runs much cooler idle than my early 2011. Like 30-40 degrees from my limited testing.
It's really hard to get the fan up to speed. Only time I did was when I tested Skyrim Cider at 2880 Ultra. It was mostly playable on an emulator!
The display really is less glossy. Had both machines side by side and could barely see the blinds behind me on the new one.
Everything is INSTANT ON. There is no waiting around.
Graphics are smoother than I expected. For instance, sliding between desktop spaces is buttery smooth for me even at the top 1920 scaled mode. On my old system, the 1920 native on my external monitor is jittery/laggy as I slide the mouse between desktop spaces. Everything seems to snap into place faster.
My 512GB SSD read is 450MB/s and write is 400MB/s
USB 3.0 works great. I've got a 7-port hub running my three drives, card reader, 2.0 hub for printer, wacom, etc and a usb audio device so I only have to plug one cord into my computer! Well besides the power. It's like a poor man's Thunderbolt dock. Two of my three drives are 3.0 capable and the margins over FireWire are only about 20%-30% faster at this point—though my G-Drive is using an eSATA to USB 3.0 adapter. Not sure if that's slowing it down any. The GoFlex wasn't a whole lot faster than before.

faroZ06
Jun 27, 2012, 01:02 AM
what is that saying, oh ya -- "the calm before the storm" *wink* the worst of the bad is just winding up to the breaking point - it has to happen - it has happened in the past, history repeating itself.

By "past" do you mean 5 years ago? Wow, 5 years already... This makes my computer look old.

iBug2
Jun 27, 2012, 01:16 AM
Funny that Microsoft gives beta stuff away for free, and Apple charges top dollar for it.

Yeah right...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_technical_problems

CShort
Jun 27, 2012, 01:18 AM
Perhaps they are trying to sort out the Ghosting problem with the display.
Some displays will keep an image on the screen up to 5 minutes after it disappears, and Apple have been replacing them.

adder7712
Jun 27, 2012, 01:30 AM
Yeah right...

Those issues no longer plague the Xbox 360 S.

Fortimir
Jun 27, 2012, 01:33 AM

None of the Apple stores I've been to have 16GB models, otherwise I would. I think you're a fool to not get 16GB. Either you plan on selling in two years, and it's worth it's weight in gold for resale... or you plan on having it for 3+ years and you'll want that 16GB.

Zzzoom
Jun 27, 2012, 01:55 AM
Funny reason: because of a delay there will be a delay... :rolleyes:

mstur
Jun 27, 2012, 02:03 AM
Got mine (2.6 GHz, 16 GB RAM / 512 SSD) yesterday. Setup as usual, did not change any display options.

Just using Safari on the Retinabook and on a iMac 27" side by side shows the big difference. All letters, in any font or size, are so crisp !! You never want to use this coarse iMac display again.

Have the new Aperture 3.3., but would prefer to use my Retinabook for Photoshop and Digital Darkroom work, hope this software will be adapted soon...

faroZ06
Jun 27, 2012, 02:18 AM
Yeah right...

LOL
There's a whole page dedicated to bugs in the 360 :D. I feel you man, my XBOX broke, and we had 3 XBOX 360s at one point that were from people who gave them to my brother since they were broken. My friend got a new XBOX 360 that came with 2 games, neither of which worked.

marcusj0015
Jun 27, 2012, 02:38 AM
Those issues no longer plague the Xbox 360 S.

Which only came out 5 years after the problem arose, and having to issue a BILLION dollars to cover warranties and warranty extensions.

wfaler
Jun 27, 2012, 03:22 AM
Can anyone report that they have in fact seen a 768GB SSD in the wild, or is this the 2010 "white iPhone" all over again?

I ordered a maxed out Retina MBP a few minutes after the shop reopened after the announcement, when standard configs had 3-5 days delivery time. My estimate rose to "3-4 weeks" immediately on the SSD, which did not go down at any point as of yesterday.

That, together with the screen ghosting issues made me cancel my order. I simply don't believe Apple actually have a ready 768GB SSD in production, if anyone would like to prove me wrong, I'd be happy.

I want a Retina MBP eventually, but I cancelled my order as I don't particularly want to pay $4-5K (in the UK) to be a beta tester for Apples manufacturing process.

gatortpk
Jun 27, 2012, 03:46 AM

I was thinking the same thing, about the 2.7 GHz, 768GB SSD, and 16GB RAM would come sooner because a lot of people aren't going to spend an extra $250 for the 100 MHz boost. (2.6 GHz to 2.7 GHz) However, since the SSD and RAM aren't upgradable, might as well get it now. If you want more of a speed bump and save perhaps $250 - $600 wait 6 months.

mabaker
Jun 27, 2012, 04:09 AM
Could it be due to the ghosting issues some users are reporting?

KingKongUser
Jun 27, 2012, 04:17 AM
[QUOTE=macduke;15133851] I think I saw some drool on her face today.

You sure it was drool? :)

RealEvil
Jun 27, 2012, 04:28 AM
Can anyone report that they have in fact seen a 768GB SSD in the wild, or is this the 2010 "white iPhone" all over again?

I ordered a maxed out Retina MBP a few minutes after the shop reopened after the announcement, when standard configs had 3-5 days delivery time. My estimate rose to "3-4 weeks" immediately on the SSD, which did not go down at any point as of yesterday.

That, together with the screen ghosting issues made me cancel my order. I simply don't believe Apple actually have a ready 768GB SSD in production, if anyone would like to prove me wrong, I'd be happy.

I want a Retina MBP eventually, but I cancelled my order as I don't particularly want to pay $4-5K (in the UK) to be a beta tester for Apples manufacturing process.

I live in the UK and my 2.6, 16GB, 768GB has just shipped. I should have it Monday.

roadbloc
Jun 27, 2012, 04:40 AM
Shouldn't buissiness customers be a priority?

RealEvil
Jun 27, 2012, 04:43 AM
They are in-store but I would hope that the website is first-come-first-served.

iBug2
Jun 27, 2012, 04:46 AM
They are in-store but I would hope that the website is first-come-first-served.

Really? Didn't even know that, and sounds unfair to me.

RealEvil
Jun 27, 2012, 05:19 AM

Walk into a Apple Store today and ask how many Retina Macbook Pros they have. They will probably tell you 0 or a few. Tell them you are a business customer and you will receive a email from a Business Sales Advisor within an hour or so who will tell you how many they really have in stock. Seriously.

I am sure the general stock situation is improving but they DO give preference to Business Customers.

mygoldens
Jun 27, 2012, 05:25 AM
I have mine, base model and it is EXCELLENT!

Apple should have done this years ago!

spazzcat
Jun 27, 2012, 05:25 AM
Don't be mislead. Apple is the master of illusion.

They're also one of the finest marketing masterminds of all.

By giving the impression that they're hard to get. Orders grow to massive proportions.

Never, ever... Underestimate Apple.

Right because it's better to not sell something, and let sit in a warehouse somewhere. If they had them they would be shipping them...

ixodes
Jun 27, 2012, 05:31 AM

It's been a secret problem for approx the last two years, effectively masked by Apples legendary code of silence.

M1chbeck
Jun 27, 2012, 05:49 AM
Maybe I'll pick up an Air for her when they go retina.

So you mean ... never.

ixodes
Jun 27, 2012, 05:51 AM
Right because it's better to not sell something, and let sit in a warehouse somewhere. If they had them they would be shipping them...
Let me clarify, all one has to do is look at the volumous sales figures to see that Apple _is_ selling in vast quantities. To my original point, Apple is the master of illusion. Creating a sense of urgency with their buyers, as though Apple simply can't produce enough, yet filling more orders than ever even while creating demand like never before.

It's a balancing act only Apple can pull off. Not only has Apple improved it's products over the years, but they taken their clever smoke & mirrors marketing to new heights before the death of their pitchman.

Now they'll run on autopilot as the death of the CEO is still fresh. Like a death of a rock star, public sympathy & hero worship kicks in, sales climb and all is well till the sentiment fades.

Apples unusually passionate followers will extend this period for years, as they've already been pre programmed to believe Jobs left behind his Master Plan. Just what the faithful live for.

Then at some unknown point in the future, like a newborn, Apple will be forced to learn to stand on it's own. Or not. Microsoft & Google have consistently been their own worst enemies thereby buying plenty of time for Apple to remain in the spotlight.

One things for certain, no one knows whats going to happen as the cast of unlikely characters each continues on their respective paths during these challenging times in the tech sector and beyond.

iBug2
Jun 27, 2012, 06:00 AM

Indeed. There's no reason why Apple shouldn't be shipping as much as possible. Apple sometimes waits until they have decent stock on new products and then announces it, but sometimes they don't. iPad 3 was available in large quantities on dray 1, rMBP is not.

Bubba Satori
Jun 27, 2012, 06:21 AM
Mine was supposed to be delivered by Friday at the earliest, but it got here on Tuesday morning! UPS said it was in Shanghai at about 3pm—then it was at my door at 8am CDT. It was crazy—I was so confused when someone was knocking on my door this morning! Now that's some fast shipping.

I love this thing. I can't put it down. Even my wife said "You know, I usually don't care about computer stuff at all—but that's the nicest screen I've ever seen!" You know your product is amazing when someone like my wife takes notice—usually she doesn't give two craps about the latest "MacPro Book". I think I saw some drool on her face today. Maybe I'll pick up an Air for her when they go retina.

OMG I CAN SEE FOREVER
It runs much cooler idle than my early 2011. Like 30-40 degrees from my limited testing.
It's really hard to get the fan up to speed. Only time I did was when I tested Skyrim Cider at 2880 Ultra. It was mostly playable on an emulator!
The display really is less glossy. Had both machines side by side and could barely see the blinds behind me on the new one.
Everything is INSTANT ON. There is no waiting around.
Graphics are smoother than I expected. For instance, sliding between desktop spaces is buttery smooth for me even at the top 1920 scaled mode. On my old system, the 1920 native on my external monitor is jittery/laggy as I slide the mouse between desktop spaces. Everything seems to snap into place faster.
My 512GB SSD read is 450MB/s and write is 400MB/s
USB 3.0 works great. I've got a 7-port hub running my three drives, card reader, 2.0 hub for printer, wacom, etc and a usb audio device so I only have to plug one cord into my computer! Well besides the power. It's like a poor man's Thunderbolt dock. Two of my three drives are 3.0 capable and the margins over FireWire are only about 20%-30% faster at this point—though my G-Drive is using an eSATA to USB 3.0 adapter. Not sure if that's slowing it down any. The GoFlex wasn't a whole lot faster than before.

Thanks for the report.

Michael Reichmann at the Luminous Landscape gave the RMBP
a very positive report in his photographer's perspective of the computer.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/macbook_pro_retina.shtml

jackrabbit
Jun 27, 2012, 06:23 AM
I maxed out my order, 2.7, 16 & 768 and it arrives today after friday order. thru business service at apple store in raleigh nc.

Thunderhawks
Jun 27, 2012, 06:27 AM
No posts yet about how this is a bad machine, too expensive, can't get into it to tinker.
EPIC fail etc. etc.

Maybe the people ordering this know what they want and recognize a good product/idea when they see one ?

As for built issues anybody with Apple experience from the past NEVER orders the first generation of anything.

While this is already proven technology (via MB Air) this particular MBP has not been tweaked yet as Apple gets usage reports via returned product.

This item looks good for ordering when its in the third revision and they have quietly fixed everything as they always do.

G5isAlive
Jun 27, 2012, 06:34 AM
Yield problems on the display is the most probable cause...

actually issue seems to be the higher capacity SSD's... yield issue on the display would effect all orders not just the high end.

Katanae
Jun 27, 2012, 06:58 AM
Funny, mine was supposed to be delivered betwwen 16th and 20th of July and I got an email today which says it has been shipped and will be here on the 6th or earlier. :)

kingtj
Jun 27, 2012, 07:25 AM
I think we're going to see more of this too.
I'm still hanging onto my late 2010 model 17" Macbook Pro, and the new retina display 15" doesn't really motivate me to upgrade.

I mean, for starters - I have a great little docking station solution (3rd. party product called Henge Dock) and I'd have to give that up for the new model. I already upgraded to a 512GB SSD in this thing and it's filled with 8GB of RAM. It's pretty quick, and I love the larger size screen on it.

My wife has an Air, and I know in her case, it's just like you ... She thinks the retina display would be neat to play with for a little while, but she has no real compelling use for one. In fact, it's supposed to make images on some websites look distorted or fuzzy when they were low-resolution to start with.

----------

To the people crying "unfair", you have to remember that Apple has taken a huge hit on the corporate side of things, thanks to a lack of concern for their needs. As an I.T. guy, if I choose Macs for our company's employees, I'm immediately saddled with additional headaches I don't get from any other PC vendor. For example, I can't order any kind of bundled on-site repair service. If a corporate Mac breaks, I have to personally deliver the thing to a local Apple store for repair or call up the same number everyone else calls, and eventually get an RMA so I can mail it back in. Heck - Apple won't even pre-load a dual boot configuration with OS X and Windows for me. It's "my own problem" -- which isn't really a very corporate-friendly attitude to take when businesses often rely on a few Windows-only applications.

So yeah, the least they can do is keep "business sales advisers" around who can pull a small favor like selling you one of the last remaining machines the store otherwise tries to keep in inventory.

Walk into a Apple Store today and ask how many Retina Macbook Pros they have. They will probably tell you 0 or a few. Tell them you are a business customer and you will receive a email from a Business Sales Advisor within an hour or so who will tell you how many they really have in stock. Seriously.

I am sure the general stock situation is improving but they DO give preference to Business Customers.

Chupa Chupa
Jun 27, 2012, 07:27 AM

In logical fallacy terms this is a "hasty generalization," or "leaping to conclusion."

Rocketman
Jun 27, 2012, 07:39 AM
It makes sense that the first batch of 768 SSD units pre-configured from China would be the top end units and they might underestimate the number of folks that would settle for one step down in processor speed. This is a simple demand mis-estimate and the delay is the shipping time of a container ship from China to USA. Who knows, they might even send some by air at far higher cost, if they have sufficient pre-contracted space available.

It is a little odd to shift from enterprise to consumer, if that is what is happening. It may simply be a particular SKU had overall demand higher than expected.

Rocketman

Sensation
Jun 27, 2012, 07:44 AM
I saw one of these in the Apple store, I liked how confused the staff got when I hid the dock, inverted the colours and made the wallpaper the Android man :D

hantsbay
Jun 27, 2012, 07:45 AM
Funny, mine was supposed to be delivered betwwen 16th and 20th of July and I got an email today which says it has been shipped and will be here on the 6th or earlier. :)

Jealous of you lucky folks who have had estimates revised :( I ordered the base 2.3 model, no extras, the day after WWDC. Still says 'Processing'.

Looks like I'll be one of the unlucky ones whose delivery estimate is accurate (assuming it doesn't get pushed back even further!).

Hope it arrives soon - not sure how much longer my ageing MacBook is going to hold out...

JHankwitz
Jun 27, 2012, 07:51 AM
Well, the guy I bought my Mac Pro from on eBay still hasn't shipped it (it's been over a week), so now we have to report him and get the refund and get another one. Stupid scammers.

Why would anyone purchase a brand new Apple product on eBay? Any savings on price would be massively countered by increase in poor service, delivery and overall risk.

JHankwitz
Jun 27, 2012, 08:01 AM
Indeed. There's no reason why Apple shouldn't be shipping as much as possible. Apple sometimes waits until they have decent stock on new products and then announces it, but sometimes they don't. iPad 3 was available in large quantities on dray 1, rMBP is not.

Your lack of market forecasting experience is obvious. Trying to second guess future sales is very difficult at best. Trying to do it without being able to communicate with potential future customers because of new product secrecy makes it near impossible.

Delivery delays, in retrospect, let us know how well Apple did on their SWAG. I personally think they do an excellent job. Having to wait for 4 or more weeks for a new product is something I can handle.

GenesisST
Jun 27, 2012, 08:09 AM
I usually just press control and scroll with the mouse to just slightly zoom in the screen... (that part is me being a jerk)

Oh, and I command-Q all the open applications... (that part is a bit of OCD)

ayzee
Jun 27, 2012, 08:11 AM
In Uk I ordered the top spec couple of days after WWDC, shipping estimate was revised by a week, so should receive it early next week.

The base processor is what the majority ordered and the model that is being shipped all around the world for apple store stock, so understandably would be low in stock. The 2.7 processor orders should come on time, no matter what the configuration is.

Codyak
Jun 27, 2012, 08:27 AM
Mine shipped today, base CPU with 16GB, doesn't feel like it's been two weeks. ..

ericinboston
Jun 27, 2012, 08:30 AM
Regardless if it's for consumers or businesses...you DO NOT showcase a product, dance all over stage about it, say it's ready for immediate order, then have the orders delayed 6+ weeks.

I wonder how many people will reply to me stating "but they are sooooooooo popular they just can't keep them in stock". Sure....yeah....that's the reason.

thewap
Jun 27, 2012, 08:45 AM
No posts yet about how this is a bad machine, too expensive, can't get into it to tinker.
EPIC fail etc. etc.

Maybe the people ordering this know what they want and recognize a good product/idea when they see one ?

As for built issues anybody with Apple experience from the past NEVER orders the first generation of anything.

While this is already proven technology (via MB Air) this particular MBP has not been tweaked yet as Apple gets usage reports via returned product.

This item looks good for ordering when its in the third revision and they have quietly fixed everything as they always do.

I think the macbook air was and is a good product idea for those who need more of a netbook rather than a personal comp. While the masses may be seduced by the rmbp and it's display, a minority that think out of the box may be seeing the true implications of this new model and the direction Apple and the PC industry is taking. In my mind looking at all the recent changes i.e.- Lion, iCloud, iPad, rmbp, is that the industry is veering towards consumer dependance on the *system* rather than personal computers which I believe is starting to see its doom. iCloud dominance I believe is the goal with netbooks as dependent transievers and receivers of data and all future applications. In other words if one is not connected/dependent to iCloud or *clouds* then you are not competitive with the masses. Of course dependance comes at a price, keep up and pay or stay behind, upgrade or be disconnected, especially if future netbooks or iPad like devices are designed with hardware life expectancy to not last beyond two or three years with no possibility of consumer repair. This is a concern as is the non eco friendly implications of forced upgrading of hardware within three years (for now). While PC users may claim justification of hating anything Apple, I feel that all personal computers owners whether Mac or PC should be worried about the direction the industry is taking, as I feel that computer independence as a whole is on the verge of being obsolete.

Marzzz
Jun 27, 2012, 08:47 AM
I ordered mine (15"/2.6/16G/512) on the first day, and was promised delivery July 9th. I received it yesterday! Apple notified me early, and even FedEx managed to deliver it two days earlier than expected shipping date.

hamean
Jun 27, 2012, 08:52 AM
I think the macbook air was and is a good product idea for those who need more of a netbook rather than a personal comp. While the masses may be seduced by the rmbp and it's display, a minority that think out of the box may be seeing the true implications of this new model and the direction Apple and the PC industry is taking. In my mind looking at all the recent changes i.e.- Lion, iCloud, iPad, rmbp, is that the industry is veering towards consumer dependance on the *system* rather than personal computers which I believe is starting to see its doom. iCloud dominance I believe is the goal with netbooks as dependent transievers and receivers of data and all future applications. In other words if one is not connected/dependent to iCloud or *clouds* then you are not competitive with the masses. Of course dependance comes at a price, keep up and pay or stay behind, upgrade or be disconnected, especially if future netbooks or iPad like devices are designed with hardware life expectancy to not last beyond two or three years with no possibility of consumer repair. This is a concern as is the non eco friendly implications of forced upgrading of hardware within three years (for now). While PC users may claim justification of hating anything Apple, I feel that all personal computers owners whether Mac or PC should be worried about the direction the industry is taking, as I feel that computer independence as a whole is on the verge of being obsolete.

Yes, it could be a global conspiracy of smoke-filled dark room nameless Bilderberg members conspiring to steal data and suck money from your pockets.....

or it could be that in the new portable digital age of smartphones, tablets and laptops where ever increasing consumers have multiple devices, they want their data shareable in a seamless and intuitive way.

zoetmb
Jun 27, 2012, 08:53 AM
Got mine (2.6 GHz, 16 GB RAM / 512 SSD) yesterday. Setup as usual, did not change any display options.

Just using Safari on the Retinabook and on a iMac 27" side by side shows the big difference. All letters, in any font or size, are so crisp !! You never want to use this coarse iMac display again.

Have the new Aperture 3.3., but would prefer to use my Retinabook for Photoshop and Digital Darkroom work, hope this software will be adapted soon...

I was playing with the machine at an Apple store yesterday and while the display is quite beautiful, I have to say that I really didn't notice all that much of a difference between that and the latest non-retina MBPs, although I wasn't able to compare side-by-side, just by looking in front of and behind me since the different machines were on different tables. There was a difference, just not as much of a difference as I would have expected. I expected to see the machine and immediately want to replace my 3-4 year old MBP, but I simply didn't feel the need (yet) based upon what I saw.

But nice machine, nice form factor, although I still personally think it's insane to pay all that money for a SSD when an HD is a 20th of the price, and to have non-unpgradable memory (and battery) just to save a 1/4" of depth and a drop of weight. Having said that, if the delays in shipping are an indication of demand, the marketplace disagrees with me.

charlituna
Jun 27, 2012, 08:59 AM

Because the orders in question are for a model that is only available as a custom build. And since you can't change out components willy nilly it's not like "you can buy cheaper and go up later" is guaranteed. You might not be able to so these customers didn't want to risk it. And as businesses they can typically afford the higher cost to just have Apple do it.

----------

No worries...just a legally-mandated auto reply if the original date is in danger of being missed. I'd bet a day's wages that the vast majority of these are in the users' hands in a week or two, tops.

Very possibly.

and more than any legal issue there's simply not wanting folks screaming if they miss the date with out any warning. Classic move of "under promise, over deliver"

JesseW6889
Jun 27, 2012, 08:59 AM
Absolute nonsense!

The iPad 3rd Gen release was a testiment to Apple's distribution abilities. These shortages of Retina MacBook Pro's is unnessisary.

Why wouldn't they just announce that they would be available in a month? Would have given them time to build their numbers, as well as 3rd party app developers time to update their apps.

Instead, they announced immediate availability of the 100 [sarcasm] they actually had in stock.

charlituna
Jun 27, 2012, 09:06 AM

And we are already seeing folks starting to overhype what will turn out to be a relative handful of cases out of the whole and shouldn't really be that unexpected for a product that is 1000% Gen 1.

Shall we call this RetinaGate?

Any new tech product from anyone will have a few units with issues. It is part of the game. How the company deals with it is the better thing to look at. Apple will happily return/exchange that laptop for any issue. Even if it is two days past their 14 day return policy they will do it. Because they want the 'defective' units for engineer inspections. This is a high desire product so it might take a little while to get your replacement (even with some kind of rush status) but they will happily do it.

----------

Perhaps they are trying to sort out the Ghosting problem with the display.

If that were true, if it were anything to do with the display, we would be hearing about ALL orders being delayed. Not just customs with a particular SSD (which tells us that the issue is most likely that component)

MacNewsFix
Jun 27, 2012, 09:10 AM
LOL
There's a whole page dedicated to bugs in the 360 :D. I feel you man, my XBOX broke, and we had 3 XBOX 360s at one point that were from people who gave them to my brother since they were broken. My friend got a new XBOX 360 that came with 2 games, neither of which worked.

Same story here, only worse. :(

stevelam
Jun 27, 2012, 09:11 AM
i'm pretty sure part of the reason for the delay is because they don't want to send out any more RMBP's that are still running lion, since performance is awful on it.

charlituna
Jun 27, 2012, 09:11 AM

And if you were a consumer, ready to buy and not getting the discounts that businesses often do you would say that it was plenty fair that it's first come, first gets.

zoetmb
Jun 27, 2012, 09:13 AM

I partially agree, but I'm a little less paranoid than you seem to be. I think Apple's change in design has primarly to do with an obsessive-compulsive desire to have a tiny and elegant form factor. Secondarily, it has to do with providing enough benefits (sync of all devices, now that people are using so many devices) to force people into the Apple eco-system, which also makes the cost and difficulty of switching to a different eco-system and therfore a competitor's devices, very high.

My problem with Apple has more to do with the architecture/form factor that forces high-cost, non-replaceable SSDs over low-cost HDs, and doesn't permit memory upgrades or battery replacement. (I'm also personally not happy about the elimination of the internal optical drive, but I can understand why they did it, although if I were paranoid, I'd say that was also to force people to buy movies via iTunes rather than use DVD media.) It isn't new functionality that will force machine replacements in short cycles, but the fact that the new designs don't permit one to upgrade the machine, although I don't think the competition will necessarily follow suit. (If I were the competition, I would market the non-upgradability and non-repairablity of Apple devices against them.)

One thing that may come back to bite these companies that are pushing everyone to the "Cloud" is that the ISPs are going to end most of their fixed-price "all-you-can-eat" data plans, substantially raising costs for people who keep everything in the Cloud.

Also, I think many corporations are a lot less willing to have their data stored in the Cloud, due to security concerns. And the more we hear of security breaches, the more IT departments are going to push to keep things local, whether that means local servers or keeping data on laptops. I currently consult for two corporations, one very large and one relatively small, and they are so paranoid that they put tremendous restrictions on what you can access, partially for security reasons and partially because they don't want employees wasting time. I noticed yesterday at one of them that when I was logged onto their wireless network, I couldn't access Facebook or Linked-In using my personal non-company issued phone. At another company, their wired guest network severely limits access, even when they provide guest log-ins. When vendors come to demonstrate their software and the demos are in the "Cloud", we always have tech issues because many functions can't work due to the restrictions. These are not companies who are going to trust the Cloud.

koolmagicguy
Jun 27, 2012, 09:13 AM
Regardless if it's for consumers or businesses...you DO NOT showcase a product, dance all over stage about it, say it's ready for immediate order, then have the orders delayed 6+ weeks

I couldn't agree with you more. No one wants to sit around and wait over a month for a $2,000 + MacBook Pro, even if it does have a killer display. Furthermore, several people are rethinking their purchases/budgets and are canceling their orders.

thewap
Jun 27, 2012, 09:14 AM
Yes, it could be a global conspiracy of smoke-filled dark room nameless Bilderberg members conspiring to steal data and suck money from your pockets.....

or it could be that in the new portable digital age of smartphones, tablets and laptops where ever increasing consumers have multiple devices, they want their data shareable in a seamless and intuitive way.

I do not see the relevance of your statement concerning planned obsolescence of hardware and software.... as far as conspiracies are concerned my concerns are more about monopoly and choice.

charlituna
Jun 27, 2012, 09:20 AM
Regardless if it's for consumers or businesses...you DO NOT showcase a product, dance all over stage about it, say it's ready for immediate order, then have the orders delayed 6+ weeks.

You do if you get a **** ton of orders for it. Because that many folks want it. And remember it was immediate ORDER, not delivery. They never claimed to have millions of units so there's be zero delays for anyone.

And these are custom orders which require more time because they are custom built after the warehouse gets confirmation that your money is good.

Compare that to dancing about it and then not giving a battery life, price or release date beyond "later this year".

----------

Absolute nonsense!

The iPad 3rd Gen release was a testiment to Apple's distribution abilities. These shortages of Retina MacBook Pro's is unnessisary.

and if the Retina Macbook Pro maxed out at 64GB of storage that would be fine. There's plenty of that SSD around to put in the machines.

Why wouldn't they just announce that they would be available in a month? Would have given them time to build their numbers,

Because then they would either have stores besieged by angry people that can't place a pre-order etc or they would be getting orders that would suck up everything they can build in that month and more well before the release date.
OR they would have a warehouse of stuff that doesn't sell because it's too expensive for folks etc. This is a high end product at a high cost and it is not Apple's style to have units collecting dust if it isn't wanted. So they build a lower amount and use the orders to tell them how many new production lines etc to open up.

ericinboston
Jun 27, 2012, 09:25 AM
You do if you get a **** ton of orders for it. Because that many folks want it. And remember it was immediate ORDER, not delivery. They never claimed to have millions of units so there's be zero delays for anyone.

And these are custom orders which require more time because they are custom built after the warehouse gets confirmation that your money is good.

You can't be serious. And what year do you think we live in that the "warehouse gets confirmation that your money is good"? 1981?! Your post is a total joke. Credit cards are VERIFIED in seconds. SECONDS.

Let me also quote the original article:
The Retina MacBook Pro has been in high demand since its introduction during the keynote of Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference earlier this month, with shipping estimates slipping to 2-3 weeks within hours of launch before settling at 3-4 weeks a day later. Estimates have remained at that 3-4 week timeframe since that time.

Ummmm...if within hours of a keynote a computer is shipping 2-3 weeks, then folks, Apple either a)didn't have any to begin with or b)had a few thousad. Nobody is going to convince me, even on this site, that tens of thousands of people flocked to the Apple website to order a $2000+ LAPTOP hours after the keynote speech.

Face it, Apple simply had an extremely few amount of units to sell. I'm not saying they needed to have millions...but it's clear that they likely had only a few thousand actually ready to ship within a few days/weeks. You don't announce a product, claim it's in stock ready for order/delivery, and within 24 hours people are waiting 3-4 weeks just for it to SHIP. Now people are still waiting 6+ weeks.

Notice the article makes a broad claim about "high demand" but offers no numbers...oh wait, the only numbers it offers are the depressingly sad 6 week wait times for shipment. Good job, Apple!

Chupa Chupa
Jun 27, 2012, 09:33 AM
While the masses may be seduced by the rmbp and it's display, a minority that think out of the box may be seeing the true implications of this new model and the direction Apple and the PC industry is taking.

Or the opposite could be true -- that what you refer to as the "minority" are really just stuck in the ways of the old, and the buyers of "sealed" computers are the one's able to "think out of the box," or in Jobsian parlance, "Think Different" about computers. It's rather non-sensical to say those who believe computers and computing should remain as it's been for the past 30 years is somehow an"out of the box," forward thinking concept.

One of Steve Jobs last memorable statements was about this at the 2012 D8 conference:

“I think PCs are going to be like trucks...[L]ess people will need them. And this is going to make some people uneasy.”

The Air truly shook up the market. Jobs, at it's introduction, said he thought it was the future of computers. Of course, coming from him it meant he was just preparing the world for the change to come. That time is getting nearer and while consumers are loving the new form factor, it's a hard time for geeks because a sealed computer means they become far less relevant. They are like the horse shoe makers when Ford's auto production line started up.

tkhan456
Jun 27, 2012, 09:34 AM
now will people admit that this was a botched launch?

thewap
Jun 27, 2012, 09:34 AM
I partially agree, but I'm a little less paranoid than you seem to be. I think Apple's change in design has primarly to do with an obsessive-compulsive desire to have a tiny and elegant form factor. Secondarily, it has to do with providing enough benefits (sync of all devices, now that people are using so many devices) to force people into the Apple eco-system, which also makes the cost and difficulty of switching to a different eco-system and therfore a competitor's devices, very high.

My problem with Apple has more to do with the architecture/form factor that forces high-cost, non-replaceable SSDs over low-cost HDs, and doesn't permit memory upgrades or battery replacement. (I'm also personally not happy about the elimination of the internal optical drive, but I can understand why they did it, although if I were paranoid, I'd say that was also to force people to buy movies via iTunes rather than use DVD media.) It isn't new functionality that will force machine replacements in short cycles, but the fact that the new designs don't permit one to upgrade the machine, although I don't think the competition will necessarily follow suit. (If I were the competition, I would market the non-upgradability and non-repairablity of Apple devices against them.)

One thing that may come back to bite these companies that are pushing everyone to the "Cloud" is that the ISPs are going to end most of their fixed-price "all-you-can-eat" data plans, substantially raising costs for people who keep everything in the Cloud.

Also, I think many corporations are a lot less willing to have their data stored in the Cloud, due to security concerns. And the more we hear of security breaches, the more IT departments are going to push to keep things local, whether that means local servers or keeping data on laptops. I currently consult for two corporations, one very large and one relatively small, and they are so paranoid that they put tremendous restrictions on what you can access, partially for security reasons and partially because they don't want employees wasting time. I noticed yesterday at one of them that when I was logged onto their wireless network, I couldn't access Facebook or Linked-In using my personal non-company issued phone. At another company, their wired guest network severely limits access, even when they provide guest log-ins. When vendors come to demonstrate their software and the demos are in the "Cloud", we always have tech issues because many functions can't work due to the restrictions. These are not companies who are going to trust the Cloud.

quote: I would market the non-upgradability and non-repairablity of Apple devices against them.)

I definitely agree. Now if only WOZ would create a start up company with a notebook that is more open to pro-summers, That would be something!

mygoldens
Jun 27, 2012, 09:36 AM
i'm pretty sure part of the reason for the delay is because they don't want to send out any more RMBP's that are still running lion, since performance is awful on it.

I do not think so, I have the base unit, right now I am running a Windoze 7 VM with a person remote connected to it, 4 gig of RAM allocated, I am reading this on the web, have mail running, iChat running, resolution 1920x1200, etc etc.

This is the best computer I have ever used and I have been a network person for over 20 years. It is damn near flawless. I have a Mac OS server 10.7 server, 10.8 server and workstation VMs created and running flawlessly in Parallels. Not at the same time of course. I could not do what I am doing on the old Macbook Pros.

No performance issues at all on Lion!

thewap
Jun 27, 2012, 09:43 AM
Or the opposite could be true -- that what you refer to as the "minority" are really just stuck in the ways of the old, and the buyers of "sealed" computers are the one's able to "think out of the box," or in Jobsian parlance, "Think Different" about computers. It's rather non-sensical to say those who believe computers and computing should remain as it's been for the past 30 years is somehow an"out of the box," forward thinking concept.

One of Steve Jobs last memorable statements was about this at the 2012 D8 conference:

The Air truly shook up the market. Jobs, at it's introduction, said he thought it was the future of computers. Of course, coming from him it meant he was just preparing the world for the change to come. That time is getting nearer and while consumers are loving the new form factor, it's a hard time for geeks because a sealed computer means they become far less relevant. They are like the horse shoe makers when Ford's auto production line started up.

I dont agree. I do not necessarily believe that tech innovation and advance or design dictates the need to seal computers. For example simply adding the retina display to the last gen mbp would have been congenial and still reduce thickness of the unit. The size of ram or SSd drives hardly constrained Apple to making a sealed device, and making the rmbp mostly a brick of a non self serviceable battery is hardly conducive to *new Technology and design*. The choices Apple made are deliberate in my mind towards planned disposability.

spazzcat
Jun 27, 2012, 09:59 AM
Just heard my RMPB should be here tomorrow :D.

stevelam
Jun 27, 2012, 10:02 AM
I do not think so, I have the base unit, right now I am running a Windoze 7 VM with a person remote connected to it, 4 gig of RAM allocated, I am reading this on the web, have mail running, iChat running, resolution 1920x1200, etc etc.

This is the best computer I have ever used and I have been a network person for over 20 years. It is damn near flawless. I have a Mac OS server 10.7 server, 10.8 server and workstation VMs created and running flawlessly in Parallels. Not at the same time of course. I could not do what I am doing on the old Macbook Pros.

No performance issues at all on Lion!

wow. ichat? mail? browser? sorry but you basically just told me you don't do anything taxing on your machine at all minus the VM. and i'd definitely take anandtechs review over yours. he said its borderline unusable with lion.

how could you NOT do any of that on your old macbook pros? the only major change is the retina screen. so you couldn't run servers/vm's without a retina screen?

justify your purchase however you like but what you said is just ridiculous.

doobybiggs
Jun 27, 2012, 10:10 AM
Often?

hmmmm, I had only heard about the ipad stuff ... that sucks if they are still having issues with the retina mbp

FTRG8R
Jun 27, 2012, 10:13 AM
EPIC fail etc. etc.

I fully agree that Apple will work out the kinks in the next update, but wait until the third revision? Apple's update cycle for MBP is 1-1 1/2 years, so you're saying wait up to 4 1/2 years to buy a rMBP.

OK, you wait, I'll wait until they have them in stock at Apple stores this fall and buy one with Mountain Lion installed. :o

theOtherGeoff
Jun 27, 2012, 10:18 AM
Your lack of market forecasting experience is obvious. Trying to second guess future sales is very difficult at best. Trying to do it without being able to communicate with potential future customers because of new product secrecy makes it near impossible.

Delivery delays, in retrospect, let us know how well Apple did on their SWAG. I personally think they do an excellent job. Having to wait for 4 or more weeks for a new product is something I can handle.

+1

This product came out of right field. Not an Air, but not a MacBook Pro. It's that transition product as effectively Apple is skating to where the puck will be... Effectively a 'professional laptop' that is effectively not field upgradable. Usually when you skate that far ahead... it takes a while for the puck to come to you... Little did we know that the RD coupled with SSD was the goto product for the high end professional.

Always better to be a month behind in production of a product with no competitor than a month ahead of production of a product with lots of competitors.

MTShipp
Jun 27, 2012, 10:20 AM
I maxed out my order, 2.7, 16 & 768 and it arrives today after friday order. thru business service at apple store in raleigh nc.

I tried that too at Crabtree. They must like you more. Anywho, my 2.7/16/768 is due this Friday. Enroute from China right now.

dfaust
Jun 27, 2012, 10:24 AM

Why is that? How can you justify that comment? Isn't it possible to need a top of the line model without working for a large corporation?

vpro
Jun 27, 2012, 10:40 AM
Absolute nonsense!

Why wouldn't they just announce that they would be available in a month? Would have given them time to build their numbers, as well as 3rd party app developers time to update their apps.

Instead, they announced immediate availability of the 100 [sarcasm] they actually had in stock.

Apple is all about BIG business HUGE profits and give off the impression of small business (innovative but grassroots) here for the individual consumer needs etc etc etc. When I watch their videos about the new designs etc, I do not feel sincerity or care, I see competition and rivalry within a design world which to seek constantly to dominate. Then I look at Microsoft's videos and I - well I, I just vomit.

It is all about getting you to spend, spend - spend. So spend more time outdoors and run around the fields with the butterflies while you wait, wait wait for it to get to your door step. Its not like in the "past" where you road a donkey for miles and miles to pick up your order from "Orange". ;)

faroZ06
Jun 27, 2012, 10:45 AM
Why would anyone purchase a brand new Apple product on eBay? Any savings on price would be massively countered by increase in poor service, delivery and overall risk.

It's a 2008 8-core model.

xVeinx
Jun 27, 2012, 10:48 AM
So the consensus is that if you're a "pro," "legit," "real" user then the rMBP sucks because it doesn't have the capacity to theoretically upgrade to parts you never will, or run "elite" software that performs best on a workstation, while the imbecilic masses are most apt to "enjoy" the hardware?

Seriously? If people say they aren't having issues and love the hardware, great! If it doesn't suit your needs, that's ok too; Apple or another company probably have something that do. If the rMBP is truly having an issue (beyond the fact that the 20 people having issues post their problems while the rest are less apt to post), that is unfortunate, and will probably be corrected.

Not everyone will be happy with how Apple produces/launches/designs the hardware. I get that. But sitting around and telling people that they're less than worthless because they aren't having the problems that you theoretically would (because after all, you aren't actually buying the machine) is almost as pointless as me bothering to post this.

JAT
Jun 27, 2012, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the report.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/macbook_pro_retina.shtml
Did you read it? That's got to be the emptiest review I've ever seen. It does have some nice speed reports. His conclusion sums that up nicely:

There isn't much more to say for now.

thewap
Jun 27, 2012, 11:02 AM
So the consensus is that if you're a "pro," "legit," "real" user then the rMBP sucks because it doesn't have the capacity to theoretically upgrade to parts you never will, or run "elite" software that performs best on a workstation, while the imbecilic masses are most apt to "enjoy" the hardware?

Seriously? If people say they aren't having issues and love the hardware, great! If it doesn't suit your needs, that's ok too; Apple or another company probably have something that do. If the rMBP is truly having an issue (beyond the fact that the 20 people having issues post their problems while the rest are less apt to post), that is unfortunate, and will probably be corrected.

Not everyone will be happy with how Apple produces/launches/designs the hardware. I get that. But sitting around and telling people that they're less than worthless because they aren't having the problems that you theoretically would (because after all, you aren't actually buying the machine) is almost as pointless as me bothering to post this.

In actuality its not pointless for pro mac users to disagree or question the direction their favorite company is heading. The point of this forum and others is to express their likes or dislikes and informs other people who question the validity, usefulness, and serviceability of a newly released product. Whether or not one is a customer of the rmbp has no relevance to the fact that we are all apple customers with their own opinion on how Apple is changing with the non- pro MacBooks whether you like it or not.

Rocketman
Jun 27, 2012, 11:08 AM
For those of you questioning the intentional shortage business model Apple uses, it works. It creates desire and purchase rush, out of thin air, on a product that is otherwise just the next one.

Yes there are also components in short supply which are ramping, but that will enter supply-demand balance at some point.

By releasing the product when they have enough units to serve the estimated first week or two of sales through all "selected channels", they get enough out there so all leading edge adopters show the units to everyone else. The rest of folks order or not, and simply wait till they can get it first come first served.

The resulting constant shortage condition keeps the product in the news and blogs and provides a sense of popularity, true or not.

Apple products meet the popularity test on a post facto basis, so there is no sense of "false claim".

But the shortage is managed in a sense that they determine the release date based on production capacity and known channel sell-through.

More to the point, it works. They have a negligible marketing cost which they largely shift to the retail build out capital costs, and nearly zero discounting. That all flows right to the bottom line of the balance sheet.

Rocketman

pacman7331
Jun 27, 2012, 11:13 AM
Please note that product availability can change rapidly, and it is possible that your order may ship much sooner than we anticipate. You may even receive a shipment confirmation between the time we send this email and the time that you read it.

Sounds like things are really overwhelmed to the point of chaos. Good thing this is about tomorrows computer rather than today's meal like is the case in Greece:http://www.presstv.com/detail/2012/06/20/247181/greeks-queue-for-food-handouts/

JohnDoe98
Jun 27, 2012, 11:22 AM
Snip

And what if Apple actually has so much demand they don't even need to play these games because it happens automatically? For my part I find this far more likely.

Checkng serial numbers it looks like production began two weeks before the Keynote. Those units sold out on the first day. My unit, which I received one week after the Keynote, and which I ordered immediately after the Keynote when the Canadian store opened a few hurs after the Keynote, was produced the week of the Keynote. It looks to me they are shipping them as fast as they can produce them. Perhaps one could say rather than build up a two week lead inventory they should have waited longer, but I see no big benefit in doing so.

thewap
Jun 27, 2012, 11:22 AM
For those of you questioning the intentional shortage business model Apple uses, it works. It creates desire and purchase rush, out of thin air, on a product that is otherwise just the next one.

Yes there are also components in short supply which are ramping, but that will enter supply-demand balance at some point.

By releasing the product when they have enough units to serve the estimated first week or two of sales through all "selected channels", they get enough out there so all leading edge adopters show the units to everyone else. The rest of folks order or not, and simply wait till they can get it first come first served.

The resulting constant shortage condition keeps the product in the news and blogs and provides a sense of popularity, true or not.

Apple products meet the popularity test on a post facto basis, so there is no sense of "false claim".

But the shortage is managed in a sense that they determine the release date based on production capacity and known channel sell-through.

More to the point, it works. They have a negligible marketing cost which they largely shift to the retail build out capital costs, and nearly zero discounting. That all flows right to the bottom line of the balance sheet.

Rocketman

Kind of reminds me of Exxon Mobile and oil shortages

Chupa Chupa
Jun 27, 2012, 11:24 AM
I dont agree. I do not necessarily believe that tech innovation and advance or design dictates the need to seal computers.

OK then. Be the next Steve Jobs and prove the world wrong.

But the reality is the vast, vast, majority of consumers don't fantasize about opening up their machine. They get what they want when they buy and then upgrade the entire machine when they need more - typically years later like any other appliance. Innovation IS in design and usability now. Designing thinner, lighter machine is where the money is going. That requires engineering even smaller, more custom components rather than off-the-shelf.

As for "planned obsolesce" Apple has been doing that way before computers like the Air showed up. Whereas Windows XP is still (barely) supported by M$, Apple's oldest supported OS is 4 years old. The original 2006 MacBook Pro can't run 10.7, and that is a user upgradable machine. So you don't need to seal a machine to guarantee its quick obsolescence.

Bubba Satori
Jun 27, 2012, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the report.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/macbook_pro_retina.shtmlDid you read it? That's got to be the emptiest review I've ever seen. It does have some nice speed reports. His conclusion sums that up nicely:

'There isn't much more to say for now.'

Don't be insulting. Of course I read it.
And I linked to it for those interested in a photographer's perspective of the RMBP.
I sorry you didn't like his review. Your refund is in the mail.

thewap
Jun 27, 2012, 11:41 AM
OK then. Be the next Steve Jobs and prove the world wrong.

But the reality is the vast, vast, majority of consumers don't fantasize about opening up their machine. They get what they want when they buy and then upgrade the entire machine when they need more - typically years later like any other appliance. Innovation IS in design and usability now. Designing thinner, lighter machine is where the money is going. That requires engineering even smaller, more custom components rather than off-the-shelf.

As for "planned obsolesce" Apple has been doing that way before computers like the Air showed up. Whereas Windows XP is still (barely) supported by M$, Apple's oldest supported OS is 4 years old. The original 2006 MacBook Pro can't run 10.7, and that is a user upgradable machine. So you don't need to seal a machine to guarantee its quick obsolescence.

Again I do not agree. When Applecare runs out within 3 years, failed ram, hard drive, battery or any other failure will require costs equivalent to buying a new notebook. Apple will not repair them they will replace them which is not in anyway eco or serviceability minded or economically the same. Old hardware users still have a choice to use old OS's, therefore the secondary market flourishes on ebay and other used wares providers (good luck selling the rmbp on ebay or anywhere when Apple care is out or even close to it). So there is a distinct difference. As far as usability now in the field..God help the mobile pro who is not near an AppleCare center Apple Care or not.

Chupa Chupa
Jun 27, 2012, 11:59 AM
Again I do not agree. When Applecare runs out within 3 years, failed ram, hard drive, battery or any other failure will require costs equivalent to buying a new notebook. Apple will not repair them they will replace them which is not in anyway eco or serviceability minded or economically the same. Old hardware users still have a choice to use old OS's, therefore the secondary market flourishes on ebay and other used wares providers (good luck selling the rmbp on ebay or anywhere when Apple care is out or even close to it). So there is a distinct difference. As far as usability now in the field..God help the mobile pro who is not near an AppleCare center Apple Care or not.

Yes I get it -- you don't agree. You like how computer boxes have been for the past 30 years and think that tradition should continue, and that's fine. But it's not thinking out of the box -- that connotes doing something different, not the same old. The same old is the box. The Air, the iPad, the RMBP, are different than what we've seen in computers the last 30 years.

But the fact is all these components you list statistically fail within the first year if they are going to fail. The odds go down precipitously after that time. It's a poor reason not to design for the living rather than a worst case scenario that may or may not, probably will not happen. Of the dozens and dozens of Macs I've owned I've had one DOA PM, on PB, and on MBP that had issues, but never out of warranty.

It's pure speculation as to what the RMBP will sell for off-warranty since it hasn't occurred yet. But other sealed products like the iPad seem to sell fine off warranty. I've sold a couple on eBay. If the buyer wants a warranty they can Square Trade at time of purchase on eBay.

thewap
Jun 27, 2012, 12:03 PM
Yes I get it -- you don't agree. You like how computer boxes have been for the past 30 years and think that tradition should continue, and that's fine. But it's not thinking out of the box -- that connotes doing something different, not the same old. The same old is the box. The Air, the iPad, the RMBP, are different than what we've seen in computers the last 30 years.

But the fact is all these components you list statistically fail within the first year if they are going to fail. The odds go down precipitously after that time. It's a poor reason not to design for the living rather than a worst case scenario that may or may not, probably will not happen. Of the dozens and dozens of Macs I've owned I've had one DOA PM, on PB, and on MBP that had issues, but never out of warranty.

It's pure speculation as to what the RMBP will sell for off-warranty since it hasn't occurred yet. But other sealed products like the iPad seem to sell fine off warranty. I've sold a couple on eBay. If the buyer wants a warranty they can Square Trade at time of purchase on eBay.

At least you agree that I do not agree... good luck with the resale value of the rmbp.

jackrabbit
Jun 27, 2012, 12:24 PM
I tried that too at Crabtree. They must like you more. Anywho, my 2.7/16/768 is due this Friday. Enroute from China right now.

They sent only the magsafe to magsafe 2 connector today......after calling the support line they indicated still 3-4 weeks on the RMBP....

aloshka
Jun 27, 2012, 12:28 PM

If its your primary computer, it's not hype. If air is all the power you need, I dont think you were the taret audience for the new rmbp

JAT
Jun 27, 2012, 12:35 PM
Don't be insulting. Of course I read it.
And I linked to it for those interested in a photographer's perspective of the RMBP.
I sorry you didn't like his review. Your refund is in the mail.

Relax. I'm just pointing out he didn't say anything. Not much "perspective" at all.

jbolden1517
Jun 27, 2012, 12:49 PM
For what's its worth. I ordered the 16g model but only 256 SSD, about 30 hrs after released. Shipped today.

So if there is a problem it is with the SSD and not the ram.

newscutter
Jun 27, 2012, 12:51 PM

What were you originally quoted and when did you submit your order? I have the same config and waiting on shipping notification.

jbolden1517
Jun 27, 2012, 01:03 PM

My problem with Apple has more to do with the architecture/form factor that forces high-cost, non-replaceable SSDs over low-cost HDs,

That's not just the form factor. There are substantial performance differences between SSD and HDD. A say $2k external Small Business HDD (essentially near top of the line for Apple's target) array can do about 100MB / sec, the standard SSD on the RMBP can do 450. Once you can assume very rapid reads, you can start to design software and OSes in ways you couldn't when people could be using HDD with 40 mb/sec best case. Form factor obviously plays a part, but I think the push towards SSD has much more to do with application resume and away from paradigms that developed in the world of dual floppy drives.

The upgradable storage for the RMBP as well as the optical is external. I'm getting myself a nice BluRay writer for not very much and it will sit on my desk for whenever I need to do anything. I have a 1.5TB slow but highly portable drive for portable data. Etc...

thewap
Jun 27, 2012, 01:03 PM
[QUOTE=Chupa Chupa;15136634]Yes I get it -- you don't agree. You like how computer boxes have been for the past 30 years and think that tradition should continue, and that's fine.

Refreshing my memory on how computer boxes have been the last 30 years.. (yes Im getting old and dotty) you do realize that the mass produced computers of the early eighties had soldered ram and non replaceable drives? :D

xVeinx
Jun 27, 2012, 01:20 PM
In actuality its not pointless for pro mac users to disagree or question the direction their favorite company is heading. The point of this forum and others is to express their likes or dislikes and informs other people who question the validity, usefulness, and serviceability of a newly released product. Whether or not one is a customer of the rmbp has no relevance to the fact that we are all apple customers with their own opinion on how Apple is changing with the non- pro MacBooks whether you like it or not.

The point you make has little to do with my post. I'm not arguing that there isn't room for disagreement, questioning Apple's methodologies, etc. My point is that the "verbal" bludgeoning of anyone who ISN'T questioning Apple at every point or who dares to say that their MBP works nicely for them is overkill. I understand that having some people say that their machine is working nicely doesn't mean that the rMBP has no problems; however, the reverse is also true. Things have a tendency to be blown out of proportion, and the constant use of hyperbole gets old over time.

If you are going to question something, then question it. Don't attack the people who disagree with you--state your reasoning, counterpoints, etc. and be done with it.

MehApple
Jun 27, 2012, 01:47 PM

Keep in mind business customers are paying the full price. No student discount, no government discount. They are the most profitable customers. Apple treats its most profitable customers best. That's what makes it the largest company in the world.

----------

In logical fallacy terms this is a "hasty generalization," or "leaping to conclusion."

Representativeness heuristic- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Representativeness_heuristic

For an example of why AAPL is not a good proxy for the economy or the rest of the computer hardware industry look at its desktop and laptop growth over the past 26 quarters versus the competition.

----------

Mine shipped today, base CPU with 16GB, doesn't feel like it's been two weeks. ..

When did you order?

thewap
Jun 27, 2012, 02:01 PM
The point you make has little to do with my post. I'm not arguing that there isn't room for disagreement, questioning Apple's methodologies, etc. My point is that the "verbal" bludgeoning of anyone who ISN'T questioning Apple at every point or who dares to say that their MBP works nicely for them is overkill. I understand that having some people say that their machine is working nicely doesn't mean that the rMBP has no problems; however, the reverse is also true. Things have a tendency to be blown out of proportion, and the constant use of hyperbole gets old over time.

If you are going to question something, then question it. Don't attack the people who disagree with you--state your reasoning, counterpoints, etc. and be done with it.

i would advise you to do same by not attacking people who disagree with the hype.

tomtom2234
Jun 27, 2012, 02:05 PM
The reason they didn't have the stock (probably ) was because they didn't know the demand they would have for these things.

Codyak
Jun 27, 2012, 02:08 PM
When did you order?

Later in the afternoon the day after I believe. It had the "2-3 Weeks" timeline.

Chupa Chupa
Jun 27, 2012, 02:53 PM
[QUOTE=Chupa Chupa;15136634]Yes I get it -- you don't agree. You like how computer boxes have been for the past 30 years and think that tradition should continue, and that's fine.

Refreshing my memory on how computer boxes have been the last 30 years.. (yes Im getting old and dotty) you do realize that the mass produced computers of the early eighties had soldered ram and non replaceable drives? :D

First Mac I bought was a Mac SE in 1987. It used a standard SCSI HDD and standard RAM SIMMs. It was the first computer I ever upgraded myself, due to System 7 requiring something more than 1MB. Forget the actual amount. OK, so that's only 25 years, not 30. Point is it's a long time ago and from everything you've written today, you want the future of computing to look like the past. Again, that's fine, but it's not "out of the box" thinking.

thewap
Jun 27, 2012, 03:18 PM
[QUOTE=thewap;15137190]

First Mac I bought was a Mac SE in 1987. It used a standard SCSI HDD and standard RAM SIMMs. It was the first computer I ever upgraded myself, due to System 7 requiring something more than 1MB. Forget the actual amount. OK, so that's only 25 years, not 30. Point is it's a long time ago and from everything you've written today, you want the future of computing to look like the past. Again, that's fine, but it's not "out of the box" thinking.

Well my first was the original mac and then ran film productions on the mac plus :D right now on a macbook pro 17" 2011, also have an iPad and iPhone. If I am in a minority thinking that sealed computers are not the right direction or wave of the future then by your definition I am *in the box*? laughs.

/dev/toaster
Jun 27, 2012, 04:57 PM
Good thing I didn't order it through our business channel.

Thunderhawks
Jun 27, 2012, 05:07 PM
I fully agree that Apple will work out the kinks in the next update, but wait until the third revision? Apple's update cycle for MBP is 1-1 1/2 years, so you're saying wait up to 4 1/2 years to buy a rMBP.

OK, you wait, I'll wait until they have them in stock at Apple stores this fall and buy one with Mountain Lion installed. :o

Yes, I'll wait, because I have Apple experience since 1984.

My tactic is to always buy whatever I need one generation back from the refurb store with Apple Care. Helps with pricing and Apple machines are good for a long time.

You make a good point about the release cycle. For the ipad I waited until ipad3, because the other two didn't have the features I wanted.
Would have bought ipad 2, but retina was already on the horizon.

That is in addition to wait at least 3 months after a new model is released to see user responses.

Got downvoted for predicting problems with 1st gen of Apple new products and just now a new post about ghosting/image retention issue.

That won't be the last flaw people will mention.

On average their percentage is probably same as others, but Apple being high profile usually gets the shaft because of being successful.

Thunderhawks
Jun 27, 2012, 05:29 PM

I wonder how many people will reply to me stating "but they are sooooooooo popular they just can't keep them in stock". Sure....yeah....that's the reason.

Would you kindly enlighten us what the reason is then?

Do you work in supply chain management and have you been involved in production issues?

Serious questions, because I am in production, have been in sales, planning, purchasing etc.

Without having a crystal ball companies estimate what they could sell of a product to start with.

In Apple's case I would be surprised if they didn't do this by configurations.

Regardless of what they "estimate" there are availability issues, yield of components to consider, QC issues, just to mention a few.

These crop up even with thorough pre-testing and zero production runs

It is totally feasible that their estimates were too conservative (smart) even if you don't want to believe that.

Wait until the actual sales numbers get mentioned and you will see that the demand was extremely high from the get go, regardless of that ticket price.

Producing computer products and components isn't as easy as flicking a switch and everything doubles. The simplest reason may really just be that the demand outstrips production capacities at the moment.

There are always idiots claiming that Apple holds things in warehouses on purpose to drum up business.

1) They don't have to
2) Would be stupid to bind capital and frustrate buyers
3) How would they know which configurations to stock

etc.etc.

On a side note: I am always surprised how people who lived their entire lives without this product have no patience and can't wait for anything, let alone a few weeks, 6 weeks or whatever.

Did they throw their currently working machines out the window?

Should we really feel sorry for the current instant gratification generation, when things take a while to make?

petsounds
Jun 27, 2012, 07:08 PM

This is a new screen technology, so Apple (foxconn) are probably still working out the manufacturing kinks. They probably can't yet keep up with the demand; probably another reason they only rolled out the retina display for one model.

petsounds
Jun 27, 2012, 07:20 PM
First Mac I bought was a Mac SE in 1987. It used a standard SCSI HDD and standard RAM SIMMs. It was the first computer I ever upgraded myself, due to System 7 requiring something more than 1MB.

My Mac Plus started out with 1MB RAM as well. During the System 6 era (I don't think I ever upgraded it to 7 before the Power Supply went up in smoke...literally), I hacked the System with ResEdit, pulling out unneeded resources, in order to run MultiFinder with 1MB!

NewbieCanada
Jun 27, 2012, 08:04 PM

And people are forgetting that when all is said an done, it's just a MacBook. The world at large isn't paying attention to supply issues. People aren't lining up in the stores for a chance to buy them.

I suspect the supply issues are simply because Apple really had no way of estimating the demand in advance. They haven't had a major laptop launch in years.

thewap
Jun 27, 2012, 10:19 PM
My Mac Plus started out with 1MB RAM as well. During the System 6 era (I don't think I ever upgraded it to 7 before the Power Supply went up in smoke...literally), I hacked the System with ResEdit, pulling out unneeded resources, in order to run MultiFinder with 1MB!

I remember maxing out the plus to 4mb ram to run 7 and thunk I had a super computer!. Well in actuality it did pretty well with the software of it's time...

freeskier989
Jun 27, 2012, 10:55 PM
I find it hard to believe that they would intentionally hold back stock. I have had my retina for over a week, love it, no problems what so ever (screen ghosting, laggy, etc.) but i will say since all i could find is a base retina, Apple lost out on almost 2000K more from me (1 customer) as i would have bought the top config if it was available. I think there are a lot of others who bought what they could find vs what they wanted just to get it. So if Apple had stock and held it back, they would in the long run, just cost themselves money by forcing people into the less expensive model. My greed to get it made me decide i will just sell in two years, get the latest at that point and be done, where previously i was a 5 year holder of my Macbook. Hmm...now that i write this out maybe that is their master plan, to buy more computers quicker over the long haul? :)

blue22
Jun 28, 2012, 12:38 AM

How do you feel the 1920 scaled mode looked overall, did it feel cramped at all on the 15" sized screen?

Also, if you've used a 17" MBP in the past, do you think it's native 1920 resolution is comparable to the 1920 res on the rMBP?

----------

I was thinking the same thing, about the 2.7 GHz, 768GB SSD, and 16GB RAM would come sooner because a lot of people aren't going to spend an extra $250 for the 100 MHz boost. (2.6 GHz to 2.7 GHz) However, since the SSD and RAM aren't upgradable, might as well get it now. If you want more of a speed bump and save perhaps $250 - $600 wait 6 months.

I'm a bit confused by your last sentence; are you talking about holding out for a refurbished rMBP or IB MBP???

petsounds
Jun 28, 2012, 01:44 AM
I remember maxing out the plus to 4mb ram to run 7 and thunk I had a super computer!. Well in actuality it did pretty well with the software of it's time...

I eventually put 4MB of RAM in my Plus as well. And added an external 40MB hard drive. Between the HD and using some of that 4MB as a RAM disk, the Plus did get pretty zippy. As zippy as a 68000 can get. It was downright glacial compared to the SE/30 though.

Fortimir
Jun 28, 2012, 03:43 AM
Why is that? How can you justify that comment? Isn't it possible to need a top of the line model without working for a large corporation?

Large corporation?

I have two employees and I live and die by the little benefits we get as small business owners. So yeah, I appreciate it.

thewap
Jun 28, 2012, 07:17 AM
I eventually put 4MB of RAM in my Plus as well. And added an external 40MB hard drive. Between the HD and using some of that 4MB as a RAM disk, the Plus did get pretty zippy. As zippy as a 68000 can get. It was downright glacial compared to the SE/30 though.

When the SE 30 came out I was drooling... that was the creme de la creme in expandability in those days. Apparently still touted as one of mac's best ever made computer...

ktzara
Jun 28, 2012, 06:30 PM
Keep in mind business customers are paying the full price. No student discount, no government discount. They are the most profitable customers. Apple treats its most profitable customers best. That's what makes it the largest company in the world.

Business customers can get discounts. I understand the discounts are based on volume, though as a small business customer I don't have much volume and only get a small discount.

ktzara
Jun 28, 2012, 06:45 PM
My rMBP order, which was placed as a business order through the business group at my local Apple Store, shipped today. I ordered it June 12 and was quoted 2-3 weeks to ship. Config:

2.7GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
512GB Flash Storage

This is consistent with earlier guesswork that the 768GB SSD is the cause of the delay mentioned in the OP.

It is shipping from Shanghai and is still sitting there for the moment (it didn't quite make the FedEx cutoff for the evening flight).

The discussion about upgradeability, repairability, etc. is interesting. I do wish that these models had been more upgradeable. I would have just bought an 8GB model in the store and upgraded it when I felt like it. I don't like the idea that I might have to send it in for some kind of repair that on another machine might just be a matter of popping the cover open and swapping something out, but because of the way my office tech is set up, that would be an inconvenience rather than a disaster. I'm taking the plunge and we'll see how it goes.

MehApple
Jun 28, 2012, 08:07 PM
[/COLOR]Business customers can get discounts. I understand the discounts are based on volume, though as a small business customer I don't have much volume and only get a small discount.

Which is what you would expect from the largest and most profitable company in the world. Apple treats its best customers differently(better). The good customers recognize this and they keep coming back. I imagine their dealings with suppliers varies according to the quality/importance of the supplier.

----------

Good thing I didn't order it through our business channel.

Cool site

revelated
Jun 28, 2012, 09:34 PM

If I have 100,000 of a thing but have over 15 million potential customers...if just 200,000 want to buy it, guess what? I'm out. First thought: Man that must be some kinda popular widget.

The better argument: I didn't have enough widgets to start with to meet any sort of demand.

In other words, it's entirely possible and plausible that Apple didn't manufacture a significant number of Retinas. With the higher price and the iffiness of the display on non-optimized content, it's a gamble product at this stage. Now they'll have to play catch-up.

The real measure is how quickly these start showing up on refurb.

faroZ06
Jun 29, 2012, 02:28 AM
If I have 100,000 of a thing but have over 15 million potential customers...if just 200,000 want to buy it, guess what? I'm out. First thought: Man that must be some kinda popular widget.

The better argument: I didn't have enough widgets to start with to meet any sort of demand.

In other words, it's entirely possible and plausible that Apple didn't manufacture a significant number of Retinas. With the higher price and the iffiness of the display on non-optimized content, it's a gamble product at this stage. Now they'll have to play catch-up.

The real measure is how quickly these start showing up on refurb.

I know they could just have less MBPRs, but the excitement over this is more than I (and Apple) expected. We'll see the manufacturing numbers later, hopefully.

haruhiko
Jun 29, 2012, 02:33 AM
I find it hard to believe that they would intentionally hold back stock. I have had my retina for over a week, love it, no problems what so ever (screen ghosting, laggy, etc.) but i will say since all i could find is a base retina, Apple lost out on almost 2000K more from me (1 customer) as i would have bought the top config if it was available. I think there are a lot of others who bought what they could find vs what they wanted just to get it. So if Apple had stock and held it back, they would in the long run, just cost themselves money by forcing people into the less expensive model. My greed to get it made me decide i will just sell in two years, get the latest at that point and be done, where previously i was a 5 year holder of my Macbook. Hmm...now that i write this out maybe that is their master plan, to buy more computers quicker over the long haul? :)Apple must have lost a lot since you were going to give them $2M (2000K).....:D

chatin
Jun 29, 2012, 02:44 AM
Apple got Cray Syndrome missing an easy source of supply with great capacity. Hybrid hard drives could have solved a capacity and supply problem as well as being much cheaper. Hybrids are part solid state part traditional spinning disc. They perform nearly as well as SSD in many tests but are much cheaper and have far greater capacity.

Now for the history lesson.

S. Cray wanted to use something better than silicon in his Cray 3 and 4 models. After spending 300 million and 6 years not a single computer was ever sold.

Sometimes a company can get ahead of themselves on the bleeding edge.

freeskier989
Jun 29, 2012, 12:01 PM
Apple must have lost a lot since you were going to give them $2M (2000K).....:D

Well multiply that by all the others who would have done the same...prob starts to add up! It is the equivalent of another whole RMP almost.... Its like selling two computers for each one! Thats around a 90% increase in sales for each computer, so it does seem substantial...

ChrisRx
Jun 29, 2012, 10:02 PM

I was curious as to when you ordered yours?

Katanae
Jul 1, 2012, 09:26 AM
I was curious as to when you ordered yours?
June 13th.
A day or two after they changed expected delivery to 4 weeks.
I'm in Germany though, dunno if that changes anything.