Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

playground

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2012
Hi, anyone know any fun and educational apps for kids?

My 6 year old is new to the iPad and has been enjoying Coin Catcher very much. He learns need recognition through catching items. Definitely recommend this app for kids.

Any similar apps out there? Cheers

utahman130

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2012
I don't know of any off the top of my head, but if you did a Google search for "kids iPad apps" there would be a lot of great lists. If your iPad is an iPad 2 or newer, you can make sure your child can't get out of the app they are using, and disable certain areas of the app by enabling Guided Access, coming this fall with iOS 6!

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Ive used quite a few kids apps (with my kids obviously! lol). Cant remember the names off hand but will update when Iget home after work.

Ive reviewed some of the better ones in one of my YouTube videos - search through my channel (link in sig).
I have a few more to review soon as some developers have contacted me requesting reviews, so may create another video soon ;)

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
He can find them himself. Trust me. My five going on six daughter has no trouble finding apps she wants. Some are better than others. If your looking for something educational just do a google search and theirs plenty of lists. Right now I've got her on a lot of reading apps and she loves it.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I don't know of any off the top of my head, but if you did a Google search for "kids iPad apps" there would be a lot of great lists. If your iPad is an iPad 2 or newer, you can make sure your child can't get out of the app they are using, and disable certain areas of the app by enabling Guided Access, coming this fall with iOS 6!

Well, considering the poster is a newbie with just 1 post, I would say he's an app developer trying to advertise a kid's app in subsequent reply.

Thomas P.

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2011
NewYork
Well, considering the poster is a newbie with just 1 post, I would say he's an app developer trying to advertise a kid's app in subsequent reply.

Quite a good guess, although am not sure about the real intention, it may be a bit premature but I doubt if its really true and there is anything in reality, but over all I would call you quite a quick witted and wise person to have guessed it so perfectly!

seanpercival01

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2012
There are lots of educational and useful apps available for iPhone/iPad. But I think Puzzle app is the best for kids because it help to increase the memory of kids.

NevaSupernova

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2014
Hi!

The website "http://www.theiphonemom.com/" reviews apps for kids! Check this out, you may find something interesting.

I personally like Space Mission and Kapu Forest a lot.

zknight91

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2014
Hello

I have actually recently found a free game for my nephew to play called Call to Knowledge:FLV

It teaches kids basic foreign language words while they play and speaks them aloud for them to hear too!

It is a run around through the level type game and there is wizards and dragons and all sorts of fun stuff that kids like.

I can barely pry it away from my nephew so that I can use my phone!

High Recommend it, Once again it is called Call to Knowledge:FLV

SarahCat

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2014
Kids games

I found a lot of games in the App Store in the Kids section. There were some good spelling ones with a Sesame Street theme. I also showed the kids that I babysit, Farmville Country Escape, and they love learning about the different animals. They ask me to play it with them all of the time. Frozen Free Fall (match3) is fun too. Temple Run is also good for kids. Bookworm by popcap games is a fun spelling game that parents can play with their kids.

Good luck in finding the right games.

Silver78

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2013
Denmark
I found a lot of games in the App Store in the Kids section. There were some good spelling ones with a Sesame Street theme. I also showed the kids that I babysit, Farmville Country Escape, and they love learning about the different animals. They ask me to play it with them all of the time. Frozen Free Fall (match3) is fun too. Temple Run is also good for kids. Bookworm by popcap games is a fun spelling game that parents can play with their kids.

Good luck in finding the right games.

Try to get your kid hooked on one of the fremium games:) and make sure its one of those with lots of in app purchase! Then let the kid take ipad to school so other kids can see the game and install so their parents can listen to their kids constant asking for permission to buy smurf berrries, diamonds goldcoins etc.
Yea farmville is perfect:) i recommend that game... It can end up costing more time and money than running a real farm:)

SarahCat

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2014
Try to get your kid hooked on one of the fremium games:) and make sure its one of those with lots of in app purchase! Then let the kid take ipad to school so other kids can see the game and install so their parents can listen to their kids constant asking for permission to buy smurf berrries, diamonds goldcoins etc.
Yea farmville is perfect:) i recommend that game... It can end up costing more time and money than running a real farm:)

I learned the mistake about freemium purchases and won't buy any purchases like that again. I do not want my kids or any kids to get hooked on that. Both the match 3 games and Farmville offer purchases, but the kids I play it with luckily have no idea what that is, so they never ask! They just play with the animals, while I ask them about the animals. For the match 3, I just use it to teach them how to make matches. I guess it depends on how old the child is, and how someone chooses to show it to their kids.

Silver78

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2013
Denmark
I learned the mistake about freemium purchases and won't buy any purchases like that again. I do not want my kids or any kids to get hooked on that. Both the match 3 games and Farmville offer purchases, but the kids I play it with luckily have no idea what that is, so they never ask! They just play with the animals, while I ask them about the animals. For the match 3, I just use it to teach them how to make matches. I guess it depends on how old the child is, and how someone chooses to show it to their kids.

Must admit that farmville can be a good game for teaching kids about farmlife.

The game (not my kind of game) is very addictive, so much that my girlfriend got hooked (se did not spend money on it) she ended up spend our quality time together playing the game (I had to compete with the game for attention:) ..at first I enjoyed her also playing a game untill it took most her spare time.
Its just too bad that (like in my nephews case) he some day gets old enough and schoolkids showing their big farms and that you can just pay your way out of waiting with mommys money:) I call that game a success:)

treelearn

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2015
Hi, anyone know any fun and educational apps for kids?

My 6 year old is new to the iPad and has been enjoying Coin Catcher very much. He learns need recognition through catching items. Definitely recommend this app for kids.

Any similar apps out there? Cheers

We really like Box Drop Math Addition. It's a great game to help kids practice basic math facts and much more fun than most programs that just provide drills. Here a link: https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1020536399

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.