PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Turning Five Years Old with 250 Million Units Sold, $150 Billion in Revenue

MacRumors
Jun 27, 2012, 09:40 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/27/iphone-turning-five-years-old-with-250-million-units-sold-150-billion-in-revenue/)

While Apple first showed off the original iPhone at Macworld San Francisco in January 2007, the device did not launch until six months later, officially arriving on June 29, 2007. With the iPhone's fifth birthday coming later this week, research firm Strategy Analytics published a brief press release (http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/home/permalink/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsLang=en&newsId=20120627005588&div=-410588540) noting that Apple has now sold 250 million iPhones that have generated roughly $150 billion in revenue for the company over the product's lifetime.According to the latest research from Strategy Analytics, Apple has generated US$150 billion of cumulative revenues for its iPhone family in the first five years since launch in June 2007. A quarter of a billion iPhones have been shipped cumulatively worldwide.

Neil Shah, Senior Analyst at Strategy Analytics, said, "Apple's first iPhone was launched commercially in the United States on June 29, 2007. Between June 2007 and June 2012, we estimate the iPhone family of models has generated US$150 billion of cumulative revenues worldwide for Apple. This is an impressive achievement and it illustrates just how popular the iPhone has become during the past five years."http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/say_hello_to_iphone.jpg

With iPhone sales continuing to accelerate, more than 100 million of those unit sales have come during the past year. The iPhone 4S has marked a significant part of the surge, with over 35 million units sold in each of the past two quarters.

Business Insider summarizes (http://www.businessinsider.com/the-iphone-is-5-years-old-2012-6) some of the iPhone's impact on business, noting that the device now generates more quarterly revenue than Microsoft's entire business, generates more profit than GE, Microsoft, or Google, and has remade the technology industry with its dominating position.

Article Link: iPhone Turning Five Years Old with 250 Million Units Sold, $150 Billion in Revenue (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/27/iphone-turning-five-years-old-with-250-million-units-sold-150-billion-in-revenue/)

Small White Car
Jun 27, 2012, 09:42 AM
Happy birthday, iPhone.

The 1st gen is heading off to kindergarten this fall. They grow up so fast. :sniff:

applesith
Jun 27, 2012, 09:42 AM
And it changed the game!

Ingot
Jun 27, 2012, 09:44 AM
I got four of them. One 3GS and three 4S's. Haven't look back since.

----------

And it changed the game!

You joined macrumors when first iPhone was released.

Laird Knox
Jun 27, 2012, 09:44 AM
Nobody fails as well as Apple. :D

kniemann
Jun 27, 2012, 09:45 AM
Back in 2008, when I bought my iPhone 3G for $200 with a $30 data plan, my friends laughed at me. Boy they were on the wrong side of history..

HarryKeogh
Jun 27, 2012, 09:45 AM
My first was the 3G.

Then for some insane reason I got a Droid X.

Back with a 4S. Never going back to Android.

Happy birthday, inanimate object. I love you!

i.mac
Jun 27, 2012, 09:46 AM

MS Steve Balmer disagrees. :).

Mad Mac Maniac
Jun 27, 2012, 09:47 AM
wow.. those images remind me of just how amazed I was when the iPhone was released. It seemed so revolutionary...

The thing that really sticks in my mind was when Steve Jobs used Maps to find local starbucks and then called by simply tapping the number... Something we take so for granted now, but at the time I was like :eek:

jav6454
Jun 27, 2012, 09:47 AM
I still have my original iPhone and it still works

Lordskelic
Jun 27, 2012, 09:48 AM
In just five years, look how different the cell phone market is. It's really crazy how fast technology changes!

phillipduran
Jun 27, 2012, 09:48 AM
Ballmer: iPhone has "no chance" of gaining significant market share

PBG4 Dude
Jun 27, 2012, 09:49 AM

Me too! :D It's been banged up a bit by my now 7 year old son but it still does what he wants it to do. :)

phillipduran

My son uses mine as an iPod touch. Works just fine too.

linkismyhero
I remember being stunned that it wouldn't support MMS. My damned flip phone at the time supported MMS. Never understood why they did that. :confused:

Sensation
Just think at its current rate Android (900k+ a day) sells more in 1 year than iphone has in 5 years. Well done Google.

tdream
Steve's legacy.

Let's see how the next 5 years turn out. More innovation or pc like 'features' homogenization?

1080p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qycUOENFIBs
Steve Balmer laughing at the iPhone after it was unveiled.

mygoldens
Jun 27, 2012, 09:50 AM
And it is getting a bit old!

Apple needs to step up the game, LTE ALREADY! You have it in the iPad, like that is almost useful.

Let some customizations happen!

I like Apple, but loosen up, not everyone wants it to be like "1984"!

Apple didn't you have a commercial to say "Think different", hmmm we are all marching to the same tune now with no personalization or personality!

bboucher790
I went back and watched the original iPhone keynote. It's amazing how much we take for granted in only five years since the iPhone's debut. The crowd went crazy when Steve "swiped to unlock". It's such a basic feature today, but in 2007, it was revolutionary.

We'll never forget you Steve. :apple:

rei101
I had to place this video again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eywi0h_Y5_U

PBG4 Dude

Yea, I like to visit YouTube every few months and watch that interview again. Too funny. :D

[edit]

Beaten!

Fazzy
Jun 27, 2012, 09:51 AM
Ah, I remember the poster shown in the article. 5 years, where does the time go? :D

phillipduran
wow.. those images remind me of just how amazed I was when the iPhone was released. It seemed so revolutionary...

The thing that really sticks in my mind was when Steve Jobs used Maps to find local starbucks and then called by simply tapping the number... Something we take so for granted now, but at the time I was like :eek:

I'll take 4000 latte's to go please. Just kidding. :D

I wonder if the person on the phone even knows who was on the phone or what happened.

Ay_Zimmy

Me too. But I use it as an iPod for my iHome. I'm keeping that thing forever. It changed the game

sazivad
Jun 27, 2012, 09:52 AM
iPhone Five:eek:iPhone Turning Five Years Old:(

nfl46
Jun 27, 2012, 09:53 AM
Oh man, I remember when the first iPhone came out. I was torn between it and the AT&T Tilt. I went back and forth, and finally stayed with the iPhone because my friends thought it was cool. Haha. Wow, thats when the journey begun and my daily driver has been every new iPhone that has been released. If I switch phones, like I'm doing now (Nexus), I always come back to the iPhone. I cannot wait until the new one. A few months with Android. :(

spgiva
If my math is correct that averages out to $600 per phone sold.

hakuna-matata

oh, c'mon!! that simply can not be true..if it is, it's really amazing!!

1080p
Jun 27, 2012, 09:55 AM
Just think at its current rate Android (900k+ a day) sells more in 1 year than iphone has in 5 years. Well done Google.

Uh.... you just compared an OS to a phone. Furthermore... you compared an OS that Google give away for FREE to a phone that has a high profit margin for Apple.

Who is making more money in this comparison?

Also... let's compare Apples to Apples (no pun intended).

Name one Android phone... 1 model that sells as many as iPhone 4S (1 model) like Apple sells? Nothing comes close!

Sure... Android the OS is everywhere... more people use Android than iOS. But Apple isn't trying to make money from their OS. It's the giveaway. They make money from selling the phones that the OS sits on.

adildacoolset
Jun 27, 2012, 09:56 AM
This has probably been one of the single most successful electronics in history

diddl14
Jun 27, 2012, 09:56 AM
Giving phones away for free can hardly be called selling...

whooleytoo
Jun 27, 2012, 09:57 AM
Pfffffffffh........... they got lucky....

:p

adildacoolset
Jun 27, 2012, 09:57 AM

Well, ballmer is an expert visionary

String
Jun 27, 2012, 10:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3qGX3PNphw

ericrwalker
Jun 27, 2012, 10:03 AM
That's just the money from phone sales right? Not to mention the money they make from the iTunes + App store because of the phones. I bet if they took a loss on each phone they'd still make out ok because of that. Good for Apple, I love their products and their revenue shows I am not the only one.

needfx
Next gen will blow...its candles

String

How much money are they making from this?

Swordylove
Jun 27, 2012, 10:05 AM
Macy Gray must be proud. :)

Sensation
Jun 27, 2012, 10:09 AM
250 million is terrible compared to the might of Android. GG

the8thark
Jun 27, 2012, 10:09 AM

To bad all those sales can't even come close to the iPhone profits.

FrankHahn
Jun 27, 2012, 10:10 AM
I got on the boat with an iPhone 4S. In comparison with the Android phone I used before I got my iPhone 4S, I enjoy using my iPhone 4S much much more.

lkrupp
Jun 27, 2012, 10:12 AM

Yes, the iPhone and Apple are fading into the sunset aren't they. Eric Schmidt predicted that developers would move in droves to Android first six months ago. How's that working out of ya? And that 900K per day figure was pulled out of Andy Rubin's anal cavity by the way, with absolutely no data to support it other than Rubin making the claim. But you Apple haters love repeating that talking point don't you. Do you want to blather about Tablets next?

TheMacBookPro
Five years, and all that's changed on the homescreen is a few new icons.

Good job Apple, you're the only company who can pull that off :)

ghettochris
Well, ballmer is an expert visionary

I can't believe that tool is still around. How could the shareholders not boot his ass by now?

I like the video about him laughing about the iphone. I like the developers one too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8To-6VIJZRE

daneoni
Jun 27, 2012, 10:13 AM
My dad is still rocking my handed down 2G.

Hexiii
Jun 27, 2012, 10:13 AM
Failure, indeed.

iapplelove
Jun 27, 2012, 10:16 AM
Proud iphone owner since 2008

madrag
Jun 27, 2012, 10:16 AM
On the launch day I was very sad because I thought they would forget the Macs altogether. That didn't happen, but it's going slowly that way :(

The mobile market wasn't the same after the iPhone was lauched, that IS good and touch devices wouldn't be where they are if it weren't for the iPhone.

One thing that bothers me in the current iPhone is that the screen is almost two thirds of the phone (look at how the iMac was and how it is today), the rest is head and chin, that I IMO needs to be sorted.

Will do good
Jun 27, 2012, 10:17 AM

You know in business, it's not how many you give away. It's how many you sell and how much profit you make. :cool:

Ubele
Jun 27, 2012, 10:18 AM
Meh. Lame update. This was already old tech in 2011. Epic fail. Steve never would have approved this. Apple is doomed. I'm switching to the Windows world.

Oh wait -- I think I'm trolling the wrong thread.

Never mind.

Jensen G
Jun 27, 2012, 10:19 AM
Looking at the screen caps on the original iPhone, it's amazing that the interface has hardly changed at all.

I think this is testament to how much Apple got right with their initial design. We still have the same phone, music, and (basically) home screens, not to mention the hardware design (screen size, types and locations of buttons) are the same as well.

iScott428
Jun 27, 2012, 10:19 AM
My original 1st Gen still in the wild, as an iPod touch at this point.
3Gs is back in-service for my brothers company.
And well I just freaking love my 4s.

Benguitar
Jun 27, 2012, 10:20 AM
I've owned an 8GB first generation, 16GB 3G, 16GB 4 and currently a 16GB 4S.

They are great products that have certainly improved my workflow and simplified my lifestyle. I'm glad to give Apple my business. :)

bharatgupta
Jun 27, 2012, 10:20 AM
next year in same time frame apple might introduce their tv set product, congrats ip btw

alphaod
Jun 27, 2012, 10:23 AM
It's been crazy.

I've gone from believing the iPhone is a POS to now upgrading every year and craving for the next one.

UnfetteredMind
Jun 27, 2012, 10:23 AM
Nice work Apple!

My first was the 3G and my wife is now using it. It's slow with iOS 4, but it still works. My brother got the original iPhone and it still works (although he has since moved onto a 4S). My current is an iPhone 4 and I'm waiting to see what the next iteration brings. I would like to upgrade and pass the iPhone 4 down to the wife. It would be nice to finally gain some of the features between us (Find Friends, Messages, etc). Of course, she would still not be able to use turn-by-turn it looks like (with the iPhone 4) :(

Moonjumper
Jun 27, 2012, 10:26 AM
The original iPhone really was a game-changer. Although the new features we get each year seem mundane in comparison, they are still bigger changes than we would previously see in most years for all phones put together.

SAIRUS
Jun 27, 2012, 10:28 AM
I loved the design of the original. If someone could upgrade the internals and display, I'd stick to edge and use it on international travels.

shurcooL
Jun 27, 2012, 10:30 AM
Does anyone still have the original iPhone? Does it still work?

Starship77

Android is not a PHONE, is an operating system…

Tell me... Which PHONE has being doing better than the iPhone right now? or ever? :confused:

Edit:
You now, they've been trying to release an "iPhone Killer" since the first day the iPhone was announced. With any software, Android, Windows or whatever… It just never happened…

You can't buy an "Android", you can only buy a Phone that uses it, you have to choose one. So, it doesn't really matter how much they sell all together, you're not buying ALL of them, are you?

ericrwalker

Read post #10

brdeveloper
Jun 27, 2012, 10:31 AM
And it changed the game!

Only in USA and maybe Europe. I see in my neighbourhood more Nokia Ashas and chinese TV-Phones than multitask phones.

Oh, wait... iPhone 1 wasn't multitask but older Symbian-based phones was. It was innovative in marketing, perhaps.

phillipduran
Jun 27, 2012, 10:36 AM
It's been crazy.

I've gone from believing the iPhone is a POS to now upgrading every year and craving for the next one.

I had to read your post to the tune of Call Me Maybe. :D

forgotmyhandle
Jun 27, 2012, 10:38 AM
Five years on, touch screen phones are wildly popular; thousands of people are developing thousands of mobile applications; carriers are improving networks to handle applications/features available on popular phones. All things popularized by the original iPhone.

knewsom
Jun 27, 2012, 10:41 AM
What's the phone in the picture? And what's the source?

hobo.hopkins
Jun 27, 2012, 10:45 AM
What impressive figures. I'm sure that every day Steve Ballmer regrets his pessimism with the original iPhone - and regrets not taking it seriously enough.

kirky29
Jun 27, 2012, 10:46 AM
I've never seen anything become as popular as the iPhone! Got my first when it came out on O2 in the UK, had each one since. Moms got one, Dads got one!
6/7 people at my workplace have one, oldest is 55! - I live in rural England too!

-- Funny how it's changed, but still looks the same.

macnerd93
Jun 27, 2012, 10:46 AM
Android fans can deny it as much as they want, but the simple fact of the matter is, Android wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for the iPhone. If Apple hadn't released the iPhone/iPad etc. we wouldn't be very much further on in terms of mobile phone tech development than in 2007. It certainty wouldn't be a market developers could make a decent living off, without mass OS support.

I can imagine that the phone market without iPhone would be be like an array of confusion with every manufacturer trying to push their OS as the one to use, (of which their phones are all lacking touch displays and have horrible plastic keyboards)

Maybe it happened in a parallel universe xD.

Starship77
Jun 27, 2012, 10:47 AM
Only in USA and maybe Europe. I see in my neighbourhood more Nokia Ashas and chinese TV-Phones than multitask phones.

Oh, wait... iPhone 1 wasn't multitask but older Symbian-based phones was. It was innovative in marketing, perhaps.

Yeah, that "Marketing" excuse again… You know, if marketing alone was powerful enough to make 150 BILLION out of any crap, nobody would be doing anything else in the world! Only "Marketing"! After all, it gives you money out of "nothing", right? :D

It doesn't matter how good your marketing is if you have a crappy product… But having a Kick-Ass product and not putting good marketing on it, would be just plain stupid...

Mortalias
Jun 27, 2012, 10:49 AM
Here's to 250 million more!

faroZ06
Jun 27, 2012, 10:53 AM

Apple needs to step up the game, LTE ALREADY! You have it in the iPad, like that is almost useful.

Apple didn't you have a commercial to say "Think different", hmmm we are all marching to the same tune now with no personalization or personality!

The iPhone's problem is not lack of customization. It's already as customizable as it needs to be. It just lacks LTE, which I don't care about, but others do.

----------

I have one, and it works (but without a SIM card).

DrMotownMac
Jun 27, 2012, 10:56 AM
Happy birthday, iPhone.

The 1st gen is heading off to kindergarten this fall. They grow up so fast. :sniff:

The funny thing is that my first child was born one month before the iPhone was released (May 2007) and she IS heading off to kindergarten this fall! I always tell her that there was no such thing as iPhones before she was born, and she laughs at that!! Like I'm telling her there was no such thing as television before her grandfather was born (which she and I both find funny).

Decades from now, she'll tell her children and grandchildren that she was born a month before the iPhone came out, and they'll say, "Wow, you're OLD!"

Kaibelf
Jun 27, 2012, 10:56 AM

Yawn. It's hilarious that, even with ALL those units, Apple's device produces more revenue for Apple than everything Google does. See what you get for offering a bunch of BOGO nonsense on Boost Mobile? Also, you DO know the difference between a physical item and a platform right? The vast majority of Android phones sold were sold by others who needed a cost-free OS to throw onto their badly-made discount handsets.

strausd
Jun 27, 2012, 10:58 AM

Ya, cause its not like an iPhone will ever be one of the best selling smartphones in the world. Oh wait.

Let me know when an Android phone is able to outsell an iPhone. Heck, even a blackberry outsold an Android phone. (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/24/top-selling-smartphones-us_n_1299089.html)

gnasher729
Jun 27, 2012, 11:00 AM
Android is not a PHONE, is an operating system…

Tell me... Which PHONE has being doing better than the iPhone right now? or ever? :confused:

If one wants to compare Android to something, then it would be Android vs. iOS. In which case you need to add a few dozen tablets on one side, and the iPod Touch and iPad on the other side.

But it is really a pointless comparison. There is a quite successful eBook reader that happens to use Android (Amazon Kindle Fire), where nobody cares what operating system it runs, as long as they can read their books on it. In the phone market, iPhones are all at the high end, whereas there are tons of cheap phones with Android. They are cheap enough to buy even if you have no need for a smartphone at all. There's a £89 phone that happens to run Android, and a £30 phone that just makes phone calls, which looks a bit old-fashioned with actual number buttons on the phone, so many will buy the £89 phone because it looks a bit nicer. Yes, it will be counted as an Android phone, but no app will ever be purchased and no app will ever be used on it.

Daalseth
Jun 27, 2012, 11:00 AM
It's been breathtaking to watch how the iPhone pushed the design envelope, took over the market and continues to lead. Apple did something amazing that business students will be reading about for a century with technology that continues to run circles around the competition.

So why don't I have one yet?

Well you know how it is. When you make or receive one call a month or less I just can't justify an iPhone. I surely can't justify an expensive data contract when I have WiFi everywhere I go. My iPod Touch (which is after all a direct descendant of the iPhone ) does most everything I want, e-mail, IM, web, games, etc. etc. though I wish they'd improve the camera.

whooleytoo
Jun 27, 2012, 11:04 AM

The one real innovation in the iPhone was the touch/gesture UI. I'd had some cool Nokia & Sony Ericsson smartphones with email, web browsers, apps etc. But they were slow and awkward to use. The Nokias had very menu-intensive UIs, and the Sony relied largely on tapping tiny buttons with a stylus.

The difference in usability was huge.

Jimrobo
Jun 27, 2012, 11:07 AM
I remember when I got my shiny new iphone 1 pretty much the second they came out. I had an argument with one of my friends friends on a night out who turned out to be a salesman for blackberry who tried to laugh my new phone off saying it had nothing compared to the functions of a blackberry. For some reason he was obsessed with the speed of his push email saying the iphone could never compete!

I said ok ok fair enough lets wait 5 years and see if you are so smug........he's now redundant!

Happy birthday iPhone!!!

surma884
Jun 27, 2012, 11:10 AM
The one real innovation in the iPhone was the touch/gesture UI. I'd had some cool Nokia & Sony Ericsson smartphones with email, web browsers, apps etc. But they were slow and awkward to use. The Nokias had very menu-intensive UIs, and the Sony relied largely on tapping tiny buttons with a stylus.

Also, don't forget the apps market/eco-system. Apple allowed 3rd party apps. I don't think Sony, Nokia, or anyone else did that and so they weren't able to succeed.

macnerd93
Jun 27, 2012, 11:14 AM
I'd actually be rather intrigued (and later mortified) if I woke up in a world one day with Apple having never existed and Steve Jobs never bothering with revolutionising the world.

I'd think it would be intriguing to see how crap it would be. I reckon we'd be years behind, perhaps now only having operating systems with similar capabilities to what windows 95 and 98 had.

Then their is also the development of the World Wide Web which most likely would have never happened since it was done on a NeXT cube :D

smeggsmeg
Jun 27, 2012, 11:15 AM
IMO the original iPhone wasn't a game changer as such. Yeah it had some nice features but i got incredibly bored with it very quickly and couldn't justify how much it cost to do so little.

Then the app store happened. now that changed the game. Suddenly i would have an idea for some functionality, check the app store, there's an app for that. The app store change the smartphone market for me.

whooleytoo
Jun 27, 2012, 11:16 AM
Also, don't forget the apps market/eco-system. Apple allowed 3rd party apps. I don't think Sony, Nokia, or anyone else did that and so they weren't able to succeed.

Sure, that absolutely was the difference between 'successful' and 'blockbuster' product; the reason I didn't mention it was because the iPhone launched without 3rd party apps; and it wasn't exactly a mind-blowing innovation.

Soon after launch, most forums were going nuts with people clamouring for the iPhone to be opened up to apps and delivered through iTunes. IMO, it was an incremental (if massively successful) step.

brdeveloper
Jun 27, 2012, 11:17 AM
It doesn't matter how good your marketing is if you have a crappy product… But having a Kick-Ass product and not putting good marketing on it, would be just plain stupid...

And putting a crappy product on the marketing without any marketing can be as successful... look at the generic TV-Phones from China :P

jimN
Jun 27, 2012, 11:18 AM
I've had an iPhone since it launched it the UK - I queued outside earphone warehouse and was the second person in. No one knew about the launch (outside of us apple geeks) so the five of us outside the store got some pretty weird looks. I came from an LG Chocolate that was a popular phone at the time but only had WAP internet and nothing else. I'd been going out with a girl earlier that year who had the LG Prada handset - anyone who says that the iPhone copied that handset clearly never used it. It had a big screen but there was no idea how to use it, half the time it was used to replicate a keypad thus negating the size, the touch response was terrible and adding an email account was a nightmare.

Happy Birthday iPhone.

brdeveloper
Jun 27, 2012, 11:19 AM

Yes, it's all about user experience. It's not about solving a problem, it's about giving a playful, ludic experience to the user. This was the big insight when Apple launched iPhone.

jimN
Jun 27, 2012, 11:19 AM
Sure, that absolutely was the difference between 'successful' and 'blockbuster' product; the reason I didn't mention it was because the iPhone launched without 3rd party apps; and it wasn't exactly a mind-blowing innovation.

Soon after launch, most forums were going nuts with people clamouring for the iPhone to be opened up to apps and delivered through iTunes. IMO, it was an incremental (if massively successful) step.

The irony now is that at the time they pushed the idea of web apps and people said it was stupid. We've now come round almost full circle and a lot of iPhone apps (outside of games) are just glorified web pages.

Jb07
Jun 27, 2012, 11:23 AM

Can we please keep this a discussion of the iPhone, not Android?

Dionte
Jun 27, 2012, 11:23 AM
Looks like apple finally got they money right.

somethingelsefl
Jun 27, 2012, 11:26 AM
When I see MacRumors recap post like this I always think of two short-sighted, cocky people...Steve Balmer and Michael Dell.

Dell said this 10 years prior to the iPhone, "What would I do? I'd shut it down and give the money back to the shareholders."

Apple's given a LOT of money back to shareholders and the iPod is 11 years old, and the iPhone is only 5 years old! Hard-to-swallow humility in the tech world...

AntJon82
Jun 27, 2012, 11:27 AM
i had all 5 and lookin forward to the next HOPE IT COMES b4 OCTOBER

bryanescuela
Jun 27, 2012, 11:27 AM

Is the troll hungry? Here, have some "Android"...

Radio
Jun 27, 2012, 11:28 AM
Hello iPhone

whooleytoo
Jun 27, 2012, 11:28 AM
Yes, it's all about user experience. It's not about solving a problem, it's about giving a playful, ludic experience to the user. This was the big insight when Apple launched iPhone.

That's a rather.... negative way of looking at it. ;)

After months of poking at tiny buttons with a stylus (which I prayed I'd never lose), the ease of use and - yes - fun of using an iPhone made things a lot easier. That is solving a problem.

The irony now is that at the time they pushed the idea of web apps and people said it was stupid. We've now come round almost full circle and a lot of iPhone apps (outside of games) are just glorified web pages.

Hah, good point. I guess people really want a nice icon and a place on the Home page, even if underneath it's not much more than a web page.

dokujaryu
Jun 27, 2012, 11:32 AM

The quote is 900k activations per day, not sold units. That includes tablets, phones, who knows, maybe even emulators. What about returned handsets? My HTC One X went back, was that an "activation"? I installed several ROMs on it. Were those "activations"? Based on Google's statements, an activation is when the phone is sold to you. But there's no real transparency on how they have tested their activation counting mechanism that I can easily find. In the end, perhaps Apple is at a disadvantage in this pointless 'activation' statistic because they don't report activations, but rather units sold. However, all android manufacturers I have seen only report units SHIPPED.

In addition to this, most android users I know are dissatisfied with their devices and upgrade on a schedule of about 6 months rather than 24 months like most iPhone users. This means that even if Google isn't fudging the numbers on how many times a device is counted as "activated", more cheap devices are being sold more frequently to less satisfied customers. Customers who basically love their devices for three months, then bemoan their decision to buy it, eventually doing a craigslist to get something else. When the old phones are traded and sold to other people, many believe this also counts as an "activation".

Ultimately, one does not measure the BMW three series against every sedan made in Asia and conclude since there are more Asian sedans, therefore must be a bigger success than the most highly rated, most oft recommended car in the world. You wouldn't even claim that the highest selling car, the Toyota Camry is better merely based on that one factor. You know, McDonnalds probably has the most sold burger. I guess that means Ruth's Chris should just pack it up and go home?

However, it's still good job Google, as I can think of no other open source OS that has been this widely successful. It is irrefutable that there are more devices running some version of Android than devices running some version of iOS. However, I also can't think of any other open source OS that had a business and revenue model based on advertisements and selling information about their customers to companies for a profit. I'm an old school open source guy from the mid 90s when you posted your address on a BBS good guy greg mailed you a set of black cds with Red Hat 2 and Slackware 3 on it because consumer CD burners were science fiction. So for me, Android is only free to the manufacturers and it turns me into a product Google can sell to advertisers to leverage their search monopoly. So, maybe I'm biased, but to me Google uses the term Open Source as a marketing technique and a market polarizer to give people a fairly intangible reason to prefer their OS over someone else's. Because of this, I just can't count Google's OS as a win for the true intent of Open Source, a collaboration of people who have similar problems and put secrecy aside to accomplish something together while still seeing a net positive to their business as they have lowered costs by spreading the load. Google calls that a "community based" open source product. To me, the greatest accomplishment Google can achieve with their success is to make more people and businesses think about collaborating on community Open Source projects. Who knows, maybe one day we will have an Ubuntu Phone that has no mechanism for user tracking and advertising at all. (I'd probably still get Gentoo Phone tho...)

mjtomlin
Jun 27, 2012, 11:33 AM

Yeah well done Google. What a great business strategy it's been for them as they slowly lose complete control of their own platform, which by the way still doesn't make them as much money as iOS currently does. Not to mention the bang up job they're doing getting new OS releases into end users hands as they promised a year ago. Well done Google, there's a reason loyalty rate is half that of iOS.

I'd also like to point out that you are comparing a device with an OS. iOS is a bit bigger than just the iPhone; there are 3 other devices running the OS: iPod touch, AppleTV and the iPad. Other than the iPod touch, these devices almost double in sales every year.

Google bragging about Android device activations is like Foster Farms bragging about the world's bird population; it's just a number used for wow factor, but is meaningless to their bottom line.

Q2 2012 Apple sold over 50 million iOS devices or 550k a day; this is an actual useful statistic as it directly translates into revenue and profit for Apple.

RaelFacio
My oldest daughter still uses her original iPhone and my #2 daughter recently found the one that she had lost (in a couch).

The lost iPhone was replaced by an iPhone 4 and was passed on to my son because the AT&T coverage is so inconsistent in the region of the state where my daughter (#2) lives.

I am hoping to upgrade to the iPhone 5 whenever it arrives and replace the one active original, my 3G, my son's 4 and add daughter #2 back on the phone plan.

We still have the unlimited data plan even though it is underutilized. If I am not pleased with the AT&T plan options at the time of the iPhone 5 update, I might change carriers.

Anyway, I sure am glad that with the iPhone I can have my cake and eat it too and still have my cake.

mactmaster
The original iPhone was my first cell phone; purchased it on launch day! Kept going with every iPhone iteration on launch day. :apple:

efktd
Jun 27, 2012, 11:35 AM
go iPhone. i've had 4 of you.

Skika
Jun 27, 2012, 11:38 AM
I remember being a Nokia fan at the time with my N95. And i was ******** all over the iPhone at the time for its camera, speakers, lack of 3G etc...

But when i got to hold one and interact with it, i changed my mind instantly and got one :D

kalex
Jun 27, 2012, 11:39 AM
Happy birthday, iPhone.

More like retirement community

sessamoid
Jun 27, 2012, 11:41 AM

No. It's just you.

OllyW
Jun 27, 2012, 11:44 AM
Giving phones away for free can hardly be called selling...

It works for some phones (http://studio.orange.co.uk/buy-iphone/?DCSextSHPOfferClick=heroOfferBlock-1?WT.mc_id=ON_MEC_S_Google(GBP)_Generic:AppleiPhone4S&WT.srch=1). ;)

davie18
Jun 27, 2012, 11:45 AM

He had a point with the price though.

I mean, the price of the original iPhone was just astronomical.

PsstGreek
Jun 27, 2012, 11:46 AM
I still have my first gen iPhone. Perfect condition too :D Happy birthday :apple:

s15119
Jun 27, 2012, 11:51 AM
IMO the original iPhone wasn't a game changer as such. Yeah it had some nice features but i got incredibly bored with it very quickly and couldn't justify how much it cost to do so little.

Then the app store happened. now that changed the game. Suddenly i would have an idea for some functionality, check the app store, there's an app for that. The app store change the smartphone market for me.

Yup. I feel the same way. When I first got my iPhone, it was OK. It was cool. But it wasn't till the app store came out that I realized it's life changing power. It's just amazing to have the powerful little computer in my shirt pocket.

applesith
Jun 27, 2012, 11:53 AM

No one was doing touch screen like they are now before the iPhone.

----------

I got four of them. One 3GS and three 4S's. Haven't look back since.

----------

You joined macrumors when first iPhone was released.

I joined 2007.

Anyways, I kind want to get one of the originals just to have.

AngerDanger
Jun 27, 2012, 11:56 AM
Since everybody is getting sentimental and reminiscing, I might as well do the same thing. I remember watching some comedian on SNL talking about YouTube, so I checked it out and made an account. A few months before the first iPhone was released, I saw a YouTube video of some new Google project called Android. It was running on a Blackberry phone and looked like the standard OS except it had a Google search bar, which I thought was the most pointless thing ever. Then the iPhone was released, and I wanted it more than anything. There was just something awesome about all the things it could do. The next time I saw Android, it was a touchscreen OS competing with iOS, and I was amazed at how much they'd stolen from Apple.

Tinmania
Jun 27, 2012, 11:58 AM

Me too.... and it was recently unlocked by AT&T. Use it as a backup phone on T-Mobile.

Can't part with it. At the same time it is amazing to see how far things have come. Heck, we didn't even have apps back then--only web apps. No cut and paste! I wondered how I could give up those things that I had on my "trusty" Treo (it could be trusted to spontaneously hard-reset monthly). But something about the iPhone would not let me give it up, even though it was missing features. Glad I stuck with it!

Michael

Schizoid
Jun 27, 2012, 12:01 PM
Are you getting it yet?!

Tinmania
Jun 27, 2012, 12:08 PM
My original 1st Gen still in the wild, as an iPod touch at this point.
3Gs is back in-service for my brothers company.
And well I just freaking love my 4s.
You know what is funny to me? All the criticism back then for the unremovable battery. We were all supposed to be going crazy in 2 years time as our batteries wore out.

Here we are 5-years-later and my original iPhone's battery is not much different, that I can notice, from back then. And that iPhone got a heckuva lot of use.

Michael

vartanarsen
Jun 27, 2012, 12:08 PM
Does anyone remember what it was like to be on line June 29? I missed that whol eexperience, I came in late :( (2009)

Amazing Iceman
Jun 27, 2012, 12:23 PM

True... A total failure with only $ 150 Billion in revenue in 5 years.
That's terrible!!! :D

ThunderSkunk
Jun 27, 2012, 12:24 PM
Hm. Funny. The iPhone I found the least appealing & most disappointing accounts for nearly half the total iPhone sales of all time.

Guess it's a good thing I'm not in the phone business.

tigerstaden
Jun 27, 2012, 12:25 PM
Before and after the iPhone. :apple:

Amazing Iceman
Jun 27, 2012, 12:25 PM
You know what is funny to me? All the criticism back then for the unremovable battery. We were all supposed to be going crazy in 2 years time as our batteries wore out.

Here we are 5-years-later and my original iPhone's battery is not much different, that I can notice, from back then. And that iPhone got a heckuva lot of use.

Michael

Apple has introduced new concepts that a lot of people didn't want to accept at first but eventually assimilated. Now nobody complains about it having a non-removable battery.

notjustjay
Jun 27, 2012, 12:26 PM

I wonder if Apple truly thought that "apps" weren't needed, and gave in to the public outcry to create an SDK, or if they had this plan all along and just withheld it at the beginning to generate excitement and rumor mill traffic.

Certainly the apps are what carried the iPhone (and modern smartphones) to their current levels of success. An iPhone without apps was (and still would be today) pretty boring.

If Apple truly thought that app SDKs were unnecessary then that would have been a huge mistake -- one that they corrected, thankfully, and in doing so reaped billions of dollars in return.

Michael Scrip
Jun 27, 2012, 12:26 PM

For a fun look back at history... this phone was announced a mere 2 days before the iPhone. Ouch!

Apple was definitely thinking different!

http://i.imgur.com/Y8VxM.jpg

notjustjay
Jun 27, 2012, 12:31 PM
He had a point with the price though.

I mean, the price of the original iPhone was just astronomical.

It just proves how easily consumers are "tricked" by lower apparent prices.

The original iPhone prices were without subsidies. Apple was going to break the mold of "$0 phone with 2-year contract on a data plan" and just charge up front for the phone, but nobody liked that. They wanted to see $0 or $199 or whatever, and they didn't care about the contract (which is even worse here in Canada, it's all 3-year contracts over here).

To buy an unlocked iPhone 4S today still costs about $600, the same as what Steve initially said the first iPhone would sell for.

nick_elt
Jun 27, 2012, 12:35 PM

and yet google makes more money from ios than android. Well done Google! lol

mdriftmeyer
Jun 27, 2012, 12:37 PM
In just five years, look how different the cell phone market is. It's really crazy how fast technology changes!

Note: Only when a company comes along and drives the direction does the industry explode with new ``me too'' drivers do we see jumps in technology.

Apple is never satisfied with their own success and thus assures they continue to push forward which guarantees other corporations do the same or go bankrupt.

nick_elt
Jun 27, 2012, 12:37 PM
For a fun look back at history... this phone was announced a mere 2 days before the iPhone. Ouch!

Apple was definitely thinking different!

http://i.imgur.com/Y8VxM.jpg

palm...............more like facepalm

JTToft
Jun 27, 2012, 12:41 PM

- That's a pretty stupid comparison. It's like comparing the sales of all Windows computers to the sales of the MacBook Pro...

Tinmania
Jun 27, 2012, 12:43 PM
It just proves how easily consumers are "tricked" by lower apparent prices.

The original iPhone prices were without subsidies. Apple was going to break the mold of "$0 phone with 2-year contract on a data plan" and just charge up front for the phone, but nobody liked that. They wanted to see $0 or $199 or whatever, and they didn't care about the contract (which is even worse here in Canada, it's all 3-year contracts over here).

To buy an unlocked iPhone 4S today still costs about $600, the same as what Steve initially said the first iPhone would sell for.
Your logic is severely flawed.

The original iPhone debuted on AT&T at an unsubsidized price, yes. But you still needed a two-year contract commitment to AT&T. Also, Apple wanted to reap additional revenue from the carriers, in return for them not having pay for the subsidy. That plan did not work out.

Michael

aarond12
Jun 27, 2012, 12:43 PM
Doing the math... $150B in revenue divided by 250M units sold... $600 of revenue per phone!? :eek:

When the first-gen iPhone came out, I was intrigued. I used a SonyEricsson feature phone with special firmware so I could run unsigned Java applets. I had Opera Mini, SSH client software, and FREE TETHERING (albeit at 2G speeds) which the first iPhone didn't have.

I waited until the iPhone 3G came out and had the applications I wanted before I upgraded that poor, beat-up (but reliable!) SonyEricsson phone. I'm still loving my iPhone 4... waiting for the iPhone 5!

whooleytoo
Jun 27, 2012, 12:45 PM
I wonder if Apple truly thought that "apps" weren't needed, and gave in to the public outcry to create an SDK, or if they had this plan all along and just withheld it at the beginning to generate excitement and rumor mill traffic.

Certainly the apps are what carried the iPhone (and modern smartphones) to their current levels of success. An iPhone without apps was (and still would be today) pretty boring.

If Apple truly thought that app SDKs were unnecessary then that would have been a huge mistake -- one that they corrected, thankfully, and in doing so reaped billions of dollars in return.

I'd guess they planned to introduce 3rd party apps all along. But getting the phone & iPhone OS done on schedule was enough of an engineering challenge, without adding 3rd party apps into the mix. It was almost an instant reaction for a lot of people: "Oooh! Can I make apps for that?". I can't imagine Apple could have missed that. IIRC, Apple were ridiculing the notion of them releasing a phone... until the first rumours leaked out. It probably was the same with apps, there's little point in announcing them too far in advance.

IMO, the direct revenue from apps is probably a lesser benefit than the buzz it generates around the iOS devices; and the 'lock in' factor. I love the look of the latest Samsung Galaxy, but it would be hard to leave the many dozens of purchased iOS apps behind.

coolfactor
Jun 27, 2012, 12:47 PM

Let me get this straight... one one hand, you want Apple to announce an LTE iPhone so they can be just like everybody else, and yet you want Apple to be different from everybody else. I'm confused.

With regards to Think Different, that was about Apple against the market. It's an attitude. They don't follow technology like 90% of the tech companies out there, they lead it. Prove me wrong.

Howardchief
Jun 27, 2012, 12:47 PM
You know, we keep flaming Google and supports for liking how they may or may not be giving away part of that 900k a day. Of course Apple being able to sell that many phones speaks to the awesomeness of the iPhone and it's young, but rich history. But we have to appreciate how much Google gives away in general.

I'll still always have my iPhone.. Free or not :) Happy Birthday!:apple:

jctevere
Jun 27, 2012, 12:48 PM
Is this just pertaining to hardware device sales? Because I think the "iPhone" family has also contributed much more revenue for Apple. Between AppStore sales (before the iPad came out) to selling accessories such as cases and other apple branded products, I wonder exactly how much the iPhone family has actually contributed to Apple's bottom line.

With that said, between my family members living in my household, we had: 2 Original iPhones, 5 iPhone 3GS, 2 iPhone 4's, 4 iPhone 4S's. And at least 3 planned purchases of the iPhone 5 (when it comes out).

javaJunkie
Jun 27, 2012, 12:48 PM
When I read this article back in 2007, I knew the iPhone was going to do well. How this guy ever got a job analyzing apple Ill never know. What a tool

http://articles.marketwatch.com/2007-03-28/news/30774497_1_apple-handset-business-market

zzLZHzz
Jun 27, 2012, 12:49 PM

there is more than a 100 different model of andriod device as compared to 5 different iphones over the years. if andriod doesn't even sell that much, it is dead.

Tinmania
Jun 27, 2012, 12:52 PM
When I read this article back in 2007, I knew the iPhone was going to do well. How this guy ever got a job analyzing apple Ill never know. What a tool

http://articles.marketwatch.com/2007-03-28/news/30774497_1_apple-handset-business-market
He never got a job analyzing Apple. He was always a PC writer, and usually wrong in that arena too.

But that article was particularly amusing. Thanks! :D

Michael

iRobby
Jun 27, 2012, 01:03 PM
Yea, I like to visit YouTube every few months and watch that interview again. Too funny. :D

[edit]

Beaten!

This one even better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3qGX3PNphw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Navdakilla
Jun 27, 2012, 01:05 PM
I was a iphone hater for the longest time. Now I hate everything else

iRobby
Jun 27, 2012, 01:12 PM
Oh man, I remember when the first iPhone came out. I was torn between it and the AT&T Tilt. I went back and forth, and finally stayed with the iPhone because my friends thought it was cool. Haha. Wow, thats when the journey begun and my daily driver has been every new iPhone that has been released. If I switch phones, like I'm doing now (Nexus), I always come back to the iPhone. I cannot wait until the new one. A few months with Android. :(

My first iPhone was an iPhone 3GS. And I remember standing in the AT&T store in Oct 2009 not able to decide between the iPhone or a Blackberry.

Wow! I'm so glad I chose the iPhone. It changed my perspective on technology.

Since 2009 I've gone from my first iPhone the iPhone 3GS to My 2nd iPhone being the iPhone 4S my first iPad this past March with the "New" iPad and now this summer buying my first Mac computer, the MacBook Pro Retina or 13" MacBook Air

THANK YOU. Apple:apple:

mlmwalt
Jun 27, 2012, 01:17 PM
250 million phones sold in 5 years is pretty amazing. That's 1 phone sold for every 28 people of the world. :eek:

1080p
Jun 27, 2012, 01:19 PM
I guess my HP Touchpad running ICS just dropped in value.

lvt
Jun 27, 2012, 01:26 PM
Gave my 3G to a friend. Got my purchased on day one first gen iPhone back when another friend got her own 3GS. Works great and only a few scratches on the back (from friend not me!). Just migrated to iCloud two hours ago (can you say last minute?) and lost all calendars and contacts on the old 2G. Finally got calendars back through iTunes, but still no luck with contacts. Its OK though because I have 2 iMacs (home and work), 2 iPads (64 gig 3G v2 and v3), an iPhone 4, a 5th gen Nano (with slightly broken click wheel) and an original Classic iPod on which I can look them up. And yes, I am anxiously awaiting the next iPhone. (and a 7th gen Nano with bluetooth to replace my current Nano Watch)

melendezest
Jun 27, 2012, 01:26 PM

Funny article! It's amazing how he got EVERYTHING wrong in there, starting with why the iPod was a success. He's a perfect example of the typical Apple basher who just doesn't get why they're so successful..

"What Apple risks here is its reputation as a hot company that can do no wrong. If it's smart it will call the iPhone a "reference design" and pass it to some suckers to build with someone else's marketing budget...It should do that immediately before it's too late. Samsung Electronics Ltd. (US:SSNGY) might be a candidate." -I guess Samsung took him at his word, without asking Apple...;)

RaelFacio
Jun 27, 2012, 01:39 PM
I had forgotten that the price was unsubsidized until noted in previous posts.

The first two that I purchased were $399.00 each for the 8GB configuration with the nicest gift boxes that I have ever seen.

Just like some previous online orders that I had with Apple back then, such as an iMac and iBook, the iPhones were sitting on the front porch the next afternoon. I was honestly very pleased with that.

There have been more orders since and will be more in the future.

DrMotownMac
Jun 27, 2012, 01:43 PM

ROTFLMAO!!! Ballmer is such a stupid buffoon! It's amazing that neanderthal is as wealthy as he is. If he had never met Bill Gates at Harvard in the first place, I think he'd be selling clothes or something. On the other hand, would you buy clothes from him?? Nah, he'd probably be working for the government. That's where the real incompetents end up.

SBlue1
Jun 27, 2012, 02:10 PM
Happy birthday! :)

RawBert
Jun 27, 2012, 02:19 PM
The iPhone changed the way the world communicates.
Happy Birthday.

SchneiderMan
Jun 27, 2012, 02:27 PM
Truly the revolutionary smartphone.

Ingot
Jun 27, 2012, 02:32 PM
Yup. I feel the same way. When I first got my iPhone, it was OK. It was cool. But it wasn't till the app store came out that I realized it's life changing power. It's just amazing to have the powerful little computer in my shirt pocket.

That is exactly what my 4S is used for. It is my secondary computer while my 27" ibeast is my primary. Love it!

Small White Car
Jun 27, 2012, 02:43 PM
The funny thing is that my first child was born one month before the iPhone was released (May 2007) and she IS heading off to kindergarten this fall! I always tell her that there was no such thing as iPhones before she was born, and she laughs at that!! Like I'm telling her there was no such thing as television before her grandfather was born (which she and I both find funny).

Decades from now, she'll tell her children and grandchildren that she was born a month before the iPhone came out, and they'll say, "Wow, you're OLD!"

My daughter was Feb '07, which is, yes, what inspired my comment.

She also finds it funny when I tell her that phones just used to do phone calls.

utahman130
Jun 27, 2012, 02:46 PM
Re-watched the original iPhone keynote, it really was 5 years ahead of it's time! Now, 5 years later, it is getting more and more competitors getting closer, but IMO no one has beat the iPhone yet.

marcusj0015
Jun 27, 2012, 02:49 PM
Damn!

I can wait to get my Macbook, and I LOVE OS X, but it's not very hard to understand why Apple puts so much energy towards the iPhone, it literally saved them.

bembol
Jun 27, 2012, 02:59 PM
3GS was my first iPhone.

Where would Google/android be today.

Hate it all you want but you have to Respect what Steve Jobs/Apple did for the Smart Phone.

olowott
Jun 27, 2012, 03:00 PM
I am amongst the Great Number of great people!

Gonna make it count two this fall:cool:

Starship77
Jun 27, 2012, 03:09 PM
If one wants to compare Android to something, then it would be Android vs. iOS. In which case you need to add a few dozen tablets on one side, and the iPod Touch and iPad on the other side.

But it is really a pointless comparison. There is a quite successful eBook reader that happens to use Android (Amazon Kindle Fire), where nobody cares what operating system it runs, as long as they can read their books on it. In the phone market, iPhones are all at the high end, whereas there are tons of cheap phones with Android. They are cheap enough to buy even if you have no need for a smartphone at all. There's a £89 phone that happens to run Android, and a £30 phone that just makes phone calls, which looks a bit old-fashioned with actual number buttons on the phone, so many will buy the £89 phone because it looks a bit nicer. Yes, it will be counted as an Android phone, but no app will ever be purchased and no app will ever be used on it.

Exactly.

You can't really compare a licensed OS to a non-licensed OS. You could compare iOS maybe to Palm's webOS (now HP) or Blackberry OS, and that would be a fair comparison… But people insist in this "number of users" comparison with Android which is pointless...

Aco Strkalj
Jun 27, 2012, 03:10 PM
And many tax dollars later...

alexgowers
Jun 27, 2012, 03:28 PM
It's all about cash and profit

iPhone makes people pay more cash for it than cheap skate androids. They say oh well android is more successful but only at being a cheap lost leader no profit crapola. I bet if you looked at android profit you would see numbers that barely break even despite their comparative sales numbers.

Apple makes great products and makes profit and invests in talent innovation etc

Android makes copies with little to no profit left that are too expensive to make money on, with little to no way of making more media profits off at a later date.

People who buy androids buy cheap **** cos it's cheap, apple people invest in the best.

Pock
Jun 27, 2012, 03:29 PM
Upon reading this article I got my 1st gen iPhone out of the box and gave it a charge. It continues to work like a dream!

I also have the original receipt in the box from release day in the UK. It really doesn't feel like 5 years since I queued outside O2 with 5 or 6 others!

chr1s60
Jun 27, 2012, 03:31 PM
I can't believe it's already been 5 years. I remember all the hate they got for the touchscreen at the time. People claiming that it was going to be so smudged by fingers that it wouldn't be usable. 5 years later, practically every smartphone on the market is touchscreen. The same goes for the touchscreen keyboard. It's ridiculous how spot on apple was with the iPhone and how absolutely wrong all the "haters" were. Steve Jobs wasn't kidding when he said the iPhone was years ahead of any other phone on the market at that time.

powers74
Jun 27, 2012, 03:49 PM
That first gen design is such a classic. I wish they sold all the designs with updated internals so you could have your pick of designs. I guess that would be ridiculous.

This is the best paragraph:

Now compare that effort and overlay the mobile handset business. This is not an emerging business. In fact it's gone so far that it's in the process of consolidation with probably two players dominating everything, Nokia Corp. (US:NOK)and Motorola Inc. (US:MOT)

Five years. Half a decade. Who did that? Single-handed. It's unheard of. _Un_Heard_Of_. And those are just the top two. Could you imagine being the Apple Designers & Engineers? The world laughing in your face for six months while your baby is being prepped for production? What a story.

ianray
Jun 27, 2012, 03:57 PM
Happy birthday, iPhone :)

bwillwall
Jun 27, 2012, 04:15 PM

There are a lot of things wrong with your comment, but I will simply point out that there has been no iPhone release since the new iPad, obviously... and the next iPhone will most likely include it.

gnasher729
Jun 27, 2012, 04:20 PM

They withheld it, because it wasn't ready for deployment to the public. There were some apps that were available on the first iPhone. Apple had _some_ development tools to produce these apps. I'd think the development tools and the apps were developed at the same time, so every time the app developers found a bug in the tools, they walked over to the tools guys and had them fix the problem. You can't do that kind of thing with external developers, so Apple had to wait until all the tools were ready.

GuitarDTO
Jun 27, 2012, 04:26 PM
This article really did make me sit and think about just how big of a revolution the iPhone was. We take it for granted, but d@mn, this thing really was lightyears ahead of it's time. It made smartphones mainstream. I specifically remember people who owned this raving about it, and wondering what all of the hooplah was about. One of my good friends made me laugh at the time by proclaiming that he could never live without his iPhone and it was one of the greatest things to ever happen to him. Here I am 5 years later and couldn't stand the thought of living without a smart phone and feel a bit embarrassed about how I shunned it off at first.

Sabenth
Jun 27, 2012, 05:24 PM
well i am on my second iphone 4s my first was stole a few weeks back i have used nokia phones i have used google phones i even used a windows phone granted you cant do everything on an iphone unless you jailbreak it but as far as easy to use interface not everything is hidden in sub menus like google like to do unless they have changed the os. I do find that i use my phone for some things that others may not use i have it tied into my sound system for broadcasting for one . But i have not come across another phone that puts a smile on my face as much as an iphone.

JayJayAbels
Jun 27, 2012, 05:53 PM
I owned a 1st gen iPhone and a 3G.

I currently own an Android based Razr Maxx.
The display size is perfect and the battery life is unbelievable.
But it absolutely falls short of any recent iPhone.

I'll definitely be giving the "new" iPhone a shot when it's released so long as Verizon plays their cards right.

franswa za
Jun 27, 2012, 06:08 PM
happy birthday iPhone, thanks for being a great companion and assistant

jrb363
Jun 27, 2012, 06:42 PM

But Balmer said I could get one of these for $90! :D :rolleyes:

jrb363
Jun 27, 2012, 06:46 PM

Me too! :eek: I now use mine as a media player for Pandora and Spotify plugged into my awesome JBL sound dock that I got as a Christmas present back in 2006 for my original iPod. (Who remembers those? lol) :apple:

vartanarsen
Jun 27, 2012, 07:39 PM
Me too! :eek: I now use mine as a media player for Pandora and Spotify plugged into my awesome JBL sound dock that I got as a Christmas present back in 2006 for my original iPod. (Who remembers those? lol) :apple:

I have mine too..its mint:))) i pop in a sim card when im between selling my iphone and buying the new ones:)))))

newyorksole
Jun 27, 2012, 07:45 PM
the real anniversary is this Friday June 29. in 2007 it came out on Friday June 29 also.

TheAshMan
Jun 27, 2012, 08:03 PM
I have and love an iPhone, but just a video doesn't give you the facts. When Ballmer made that statement, the iPhone was $200 more. Apple drastically cut the price after a short time, after they had bled early adopters. His statement is based on that circumstance.

yanki01
Jun 27, 2012, 08:26 PM
I wish I still had my original iPhone, it was in MINT condition being I had it for a year until I got the 3GS. I sold it for a pretty penny. I would love to use it as an iPod touch.

DrMotownMac
Jun 27, 2012, 08:59 PM
I have and love an iPhone, but just a video doesn't give you the facts. When Ballmer made that statement, the iPhone was $200 more. Apple drastically cut the price after a short time, after they had bled early adopters. His statement is based on that circumstance.

Nonetheless, he's still a dope who sounds and looks like Homer Simpson. He lucked into his career by befriending Bill Gates and Paul Allen early on. If Ron Wayne is the Pete Best of computers, then Steve Ballmer is the Ringo Starr.

Lancer
Jun 27, 2012, 10:28 PM
I got on the boat with an iPhone 4S. In comparison with the Android phone I used before I got my iPhone 4S, I enjoy using my iPhone 4S much much more.

My sister just swapped her Galaxy 2 for the 4s and loves it, even with the smaller screen and higher cost.

I'm still on my 3Gs, it's about 2.5 years old and I'm dying to get my hands on the new iPhone at the end of the year.

marksman
Jun 28, 2012, 12:09 AM

Uh no. It created the entire foundation of mobile computing. It was a complete game changer.

Macdick
Jun 28, 2012, 04:02 AM
I still have my original iPhone and it still works and without a scratch looks like brand new!!!! i love it but i will give it to my doughter now :)))))

brdeveloper
Jun 28, 2012, 10:29 AM
Uh no. It created the entire foundation of mobile computing. It was a complete game changer.

No, it was not. Except if changing mobile computing equals to creating a touchscreen monotask phone.

speedyg256
Jun 28, 2012, 10:30 AM
Back in 2008, when I bought my iPhone 3G for $200 with a $30 data plan, my friends laughed at me. Boy they were on the wrong side of history..

HAHAHA:D my friends laughed too

speedyg256
Jun 28, 2012, 10:49 AM
Looking at the screen caps on the original iPhone, it's amazing that the interface has hardly changed at all.

I think this is testament to how much Apple got right with their initial design. We still have the same phone, music, and (basically) home screens, not to mention the hardware design (screen size, types and locations of buttons) are the same as well.

phone and music UI's are different in iOS 6...

Oletros
Jun 28, 2012, 10:54 AM
Happy birthday.

An impressive product

Sackvillenb
Jun 28, 2012, 11:14 AM
Five years, my how time flies... I wonder what the phone will be like another 5 years from now...

Genetheninja
Jun 28, 2012, 11:14 PM
Happy Birthday to us!
June 29 is also my birthday, as well as the year I got married. My wife and I bought each other iPhones in Chicago as wedding presents... As well as a trip to Tiffanies... :)
For that reason I will always have an iPhone. We've upgraded ever since...
My first gen iPhone now belongs to my 3 year old as a very limited iPod touch.

knewsom
Jun 29, 2012, 12:34 AM
Seriously, what's the source of this graphic? Those aren't any iPhones I've ever seen before. Not 4s, 4, 3GS, 3G, or original. Soooo.....????????

haruhiko
Jun 29, 2012, 01:11 AM
Happy Birthday iPhone :-)

kdarling
Jun 29, 2012, 07:23 AM

It was not planned. Steve Jobs wanted full control over his iPhone, and was therefore against third party native apps.

"... Jobs initially resisted (apps). He didn't want outsiders to create applications for the iPhone that could mess it up, infect it with viruses, or pollute its integrity." -- Biography (pg 501, hardback)

“I don’t want people to think of this as a computer,” he said. “I think of it as reinventing the phone.”

“We define everything that is on the phone,” he said. “You don’t want your phone to be like a PC. The last thing you want is to have loaded three apps on your phone and then you go to make a call and it doesn’t work anymore. These are more like iPods than they are like computers.”

--New York Times (1/11/2007)

“You don’t want your phone to be an open platform,” meaning that anyone can write applications for it and potentially gum up the provider's network, says Jobs.

“You need it to work when you need it to work. Cingular doesn’t want to see their West Coast network go down because some application messed up.”

-- Newsweek (1/11/2007)

Ironically, while Jobs made headlines railing against the carrier walled gardens of controlled apps for dumbphones, he ended up adopting the same walled garden approach but even tighter. On carriers, smartphones had always been able to download third party apps from anywhere.

elistan
Jun 29, 2012, 08:17 AM
Still got it, works perfectly as an iPod. :) (The 4S is my actual phone now.)

kdarling
Jun 29, 2012, 08:53 AM
The original iPhone debuted on AT&T at an unsubsidized price, yes. But you still needed a two-year contract commitment to AT&T.

Also, Apple wanted to reap additional revenue from the carriers, in return for them not having pay for the subsidy. That plan did not work out.

Correct.

Apple not only wanted full price with its commensurate profit, they also wanted the monthly subsidy that usually went to the customer.

Since AT&T would be spending the same that they usually did for subsidized phones, they agreed and gave Apple the $10-15 a month per user that would normally have helped the customer pay for the phone.

However, iPhone sales stalled within a couple of months and Apple had to radically drop the price (which, as some of us recall, caused the most incredible outcry ever seen on the official Apple forums... the poor Apple mods deleted literally hundreds of early buyer angry posts before giving up, and Jobs issued an apology and a coupon).

It was a marketing misstep, one of several that clearly pointed out that Apple was still feeling its way around the phone arena. (Judging from Jobs' remarks, they seemed to think it'd be like the iPod market.)

So at the end of the first year, AT&T and Apple dropped the royalty contract, and wrote up a new one for the iPhone 3G which went back to the normal subsidy method that every other phone maker used:

"The new agreement between Apple and AT&T eliminates the revenue-sharing model under which AT&T shared a portion of monthly service revenue with Apple. Under the revised agreement, which is consistent with traditional equipment manufacturer-carrier arrangements, there is no revenue sharing and both iPhone 3G models will be offered at attractive prices to broaden the market potential and accelerate subscriber volumes. " - AT&T June 2008 (http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=4800&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=25791)

Abazigal
Jun 29, 2012, 09:18 AM
I find it funny how Steve brought up the then 4 dominant phone companies of that time - Nokia, Blackberry, Motorola and Palm, and I am like "Where are those 4 companies today?" :p

How quickly one's fortunes can reverse in today's tech world. :eek: