Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beachguy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Florida, USA
I have a brand new Macbook Pro (non-retina, but with the high def screen) and have relegated my 2 year old MBP (15 incher) to bringing along to work with me for non-work things, such as internet searches, or reference books.

It's a bit large and obvious on the desk, plus it is a little heavier than I'd like (though far from being like my 17 inch HP.) I am toying with the idea of a refurb Air from the Apple Store to use instead. One of the basic ones- no more than 850 list. There are some of the later Core2 machines, and some basic I5 ones as well with 4GB RAM that fit the price.

For LIGHT surfing (no gaming) and the rare light use of a Windows VM, would these machines still be viable? I am not positive yet I'll invest in one, but am just curious. The MBP I have (2.53Ghz I5, 500 gig HD, 8 GB RAM and the standard glossy) is like new, and it is doing okay, but I'm thinking of a smaller one for convenience.

Any ideas are welcome. I've got a number of options at home already- a couple of Netbooks, I have an iPad I bring that has a bluetooth keyboard, and some older Windows laptops as well. So far, the MBP if my favorite. but it IS a bit large.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
To be honest, my first thought was to suggest an iPad. Reference books (PDF?), Internet searches (over 3G/LTE to avoid corporate network if needed), etc. should all work well. Doesn't help with the Windows VM though, unless you used Splashtop or other remote-desktop to reach a machine at home -- though how workable that would be depends on just what you needed to do.

I own a 13" MBA (2011) and have used Parallels for light VM stuff -- it's decent with 4GB memory, wouldn't try it with 2GB systems. Whether the 11" screen is workable is up to you, but it can't be that bad given how popular the thing is.

Beachguy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Florida, USA
I'm not a young guy anymore (late 50s) and diabetic so my eyesight may be fine one time, and wonky the next. :D

At my previous job, we had the 13 inch Airs with the I7 and it handled the VMs very well, since the SSD made swapping much, much faster.

I may stop by a Best Buy or Frys to look at the 11" and see how hard it is to read.

Beachguy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Florida, USA
And that is what I got- 13 inch, 1.7Ghz I5 refurb with 128 gig SSD since I won't need a lot of stuff on the machine. I'll keep it lean.

Thanks for giving me input.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Easily the best $929 computer you can get today.

I know it's a bit late, but http://www.refurb.me is a great site for checking apple refurb store stock levels and setting email reminders for when hard to get out-of-stock items become in stock.

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
Easily the best $929 computer you can get today.

I know it's a bit late, but http://www.refurb.me is a great site for checking apple refurb store stock levels and setting email reminders for when hard to get out-of-stock items become in stock.

Awesome, thanks for the link! I'm always checking their refurb store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.