PDA

View Full Version : [phones] So, I can pay $650 for just an iPhone or $550 for a Galaxy Nexus PLUS Nexus tablet?!

Big.Mac.Daddy
Jun 27, 2012, 01:09 PM
What did I just see? :confused:

The iPhone seems horribly HORRIBLY overpriced compared to the Galaxy Nexus.

iPhone 4S = $650
iPad = $500

Galaxy Nexus (GSM) = $350
Nexus Tablet = $199

Google makes Apple seem really greedy and price gouging customers too much.

Also don't forget that the Galaxy Nexus is unlocked and works with both AT&T and T-mobiles 3G bands to let customers choose the best deal (unlike Apple that locks you to one carrier)

Anyone gonna get more for your $ an go with the Galaxy Nexus + Nexus Tablet combo for $100 less than an iPhone?

AR999
Jun 27, 2012, 01:11 PM

iPhone 4S = $650
iPad = $500

Nexus Tablet = $199

Also don't forget that the Galaxy Nexus is unlocked and works with both AT&T and T-mobiles 3G bands to let customers choose the best deal (unlike Apple that locks you to one carrier)

Anyone gonna get more for your $ an go with the Galaxy Nexus + Nexus Tablet combo for $100 less than an iPhone?

Is the $350 the price of the galaxy nexus with or without a contract?

Big.Mac.Daddy
Jun 27, 2012, 01:12 PM
Is the $350 the price of the galaxy nexus with or without a contract?

Contract free.

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Galaxy_Nexus_HSPA?id=galaxy_nexus_hspa&hl=en

onthecouchagain
Jun 27, 2012, 01:16 PM
Jelly Bean also looks fantastic. Swiftkey-like improvements to the keyboard, expandable notifications... looking very promising.
http://cdn.androidcentral.com/sites/androidcentral.com/files/postimages/276955/e7cb75a6-0309-4f7f-86a7-79e2292a6e93_500.jpg

The price difference is more absurd when you consider how much better JB looks than iOS 6 looks.

PhoneI
Jun 27, 2012, 01:17 PM
I can buy a brand new BMW for 40k or a new Honda for 20k. This BMW price gouging must stop!!!!!

BlueGoldAce
Jun 27, 2012, 01:17 PM
iOS has always had a leg up on android when it comes to "smoothness". I love both operating systems...but it looks like jelly bean may match iOS in terms of performance.....

Dmunjal
Jun 27, 2012, 01:19 PM
Not exactly a fair comparison but I get your point. This is similar to what happened in the PC market. Apple was first out of the gate with a GUI based PC in 1984 and enjoyed high margins for many years until Microsoft finally caught up with Windows 3.1. At that point, the PC OEMs were selling hardware that was faster and cheaper than equivalent Macs and the OS and apps were mature enough to make the switch. We all know how that turned out.

I think Apple has a big lead right now but not insurmountable. They will have to release hardware that is cheaper which means margin erosion.

They have a three year headstart on tablets but you have to admit that the rest of the industry is catching up quickly. Again, Apple has to innovate at the same pace as they have in the last few years to stay ahead or they will lose market share based on price alone.

Technarchy
Jun 27, 2012, 01:20 PM
Apple will never be the cheapest game in town.

This is a revelation since when?

Apple is never going to race to the bottom like the windows PC market and android where junk is the norm.

Dmunjal
Jun 27, 2012, 01:21 PM
I can buy a brand new BMW for 40k or a new Honda for 20k. This BMW price gouging must stop!!!!!

That would be valid analogy if they were using the exact same engine, drivetrain, and components. Smartphones, tablets, and even PCs all pretty much use the same hardware now. The difference is in software which certainly deserves a premium but how much?

Does Honda even offer a V8? Or a twin-turbo V6?

iphone1105
Jun 27, 2012, 01:22 PM
iPad's start at $399, not $500 so you're math is off from the start.

Big.Mac.Daddy
Jun 27, 2012, 01:23 PM
Jelly Bean also looks fantastic. Swiftkey-like improvements to the keyboard, expandable notifications... looking very promising.

Yeah, I haven't even seen the I/O to see all the improvements Jelly Bean is bringing but rest assured I will :)

The price difference is pretty absurd.

You got that right! Since both phones are company flagships who in their right mind would pay an extra 47% and support a company (Apple) who so obviously doesn't give a **** about price gouging it's customers?

PhoneI
Jun 27, 2012, 01:23 PM
That would be valid analogy if they were using the exact same engine, drivetrain, and components. Smartphones, tablets, and even PCs all pretty much use the same hardware now. The difference is in software which certainly deserves a premium but how much?

So the nexus tablet has half the resolution of my iPad 3. Not getting your point.

Technarchy
Jun 27, 2012, 01:24 PM
So the nexus tablet has half the resolution of my iPad 3. Not getting your point.

And smaller screen, and is made from plastic...

BrandonZ
Jun 27, 2012, 01:26 PM
I've been a iPhone user for 4 years but just ordered the Galaxy Nexus. I'll still keep my iPhone but I'm looking forward to something new. At $350 unlocked you just can't beat it.

iphone1105
Yeah, I haven't even seen the I/O to see all the improvements Jelly Bean is bringing but rest assured I will :)

You got that right! Since both phones are company flagships who in their right mind would pay an extra 47% and support a company (Apple) who so obviously doesn't give a **** about price gouging it's customers?

I would pay the extra money, simply because I'd never own any phone but an iPhone. Not that I hate andorid or those other phones, I just love what the iPhone does for me, I'm sure others feel the same.

Rock out and do with your money what you want! So long as your happy! :D

AlphaVictor87

his point is still valid. you can get the tablet and nexus phone for the same price as just a phone.

EDIT: his math is actually right, still $100 cheaper for both, he just put $500 instead of $399

iphone1105
Jun 27, 2012, 01:27 PM
his point is still valid. you can get the tablet and nexus phone for the same price as just a phone.

Okay great, not saying his point isn't right, just his math. just saying he added $100 to his point when it's base is $399....

onthecouchagain
Jun 27, 2012, 01:29 PM
I am however loyal to my iPad. I certainly see the attraction of 7" tablets, but with an already 4.6" Galaxy Nexus, the difference just isn't enough to warrant purchase. I love my iPad.

But the boat is sailing for the iPhone. I'm holding out to see what happens this Fall with the next gen, but JB is potentially sealing the deal. It's just pulling away.

PhoneI
Jun 27, 2012, 01:31 PM
I am however loyal to my iPad. I certainly see the attraction of 7" tablets, but with an already 4.6" Galaxy Nexus, the difference just isn't enough to warrant purchase. I love my iPad.

But the boat is sailing for the iPhone. I'm holding out to see what happens this Fall with the next gen, but JB is potentially sealing the deal.

I don't know, I used Android long enough to determine that widgets are useless to me. Now I will admit that the new notifications are extremely cool, but notifications is just not a determining factor in what device I want to use. I still much prefer the app catalog of iOS over Android.

BFizzzle
Jun 27, 2012, 01:34 PM

alllright how about tvs.

40" lcd dynex, $299
40" samsung lcd. $599

ill keep my "samsung" any day.

applefanDrew
Jun 27, 2012, 01:35 PM
Not exactly a fair comparison but I get your point. This is similar to what happened in the PC market. Apple was first out of the gate with a GUI based PC in 1984 and enjoyed high margins for many years until Microsoft finally caught up with Windows 3.1. At that point, the PC OEMs were selling hardware that was faster and cheaper than equivalent Macs and the OS and apps were mature enough to make the switch. We all know how that turned out.

I think Apple has a big lead right now but not insurmountable. They will have to release hardware that is cheaper which means margin erosion.

They have a three year headstart on tablets but you have to admit that the rest of the industry is catching up quickly. Again, Apple has to innovate at the same pace as they have in the last few years to stay ahead or they will lose market share based on price alone.

All the sales figures I see show iPad selling like crazy. And others hardly selling. Others may catch up in the future… They're not catching up right now.

onthecouchagain
Jun 27, 2012, 01:36 PM
I don't know, I used Android long enough to determine that widgets are useless to me. Now I will admit that the new notifications are extremely cool, but notifications is just not a determining factor in what device I want to use. I still much prefer the app catalog of iOS over Android.

I agree with you in that Widgets is overrated, however, there are certain ones that are worth having. Namely the toggles. I love being able to toggle my lock screen on and off, for example. I tap it on when I go out and need the obvious security, and I toggle it off when I'm at home where it's safe and I don't need to log in with my pin every time I pick up my phone. Ditto for sound settings, toggling between vibrate/sound/silence; toggling WiFi and GPS, brightness settings, etc.

To me, the most exciting thing about JB is the Swiftkey-like improvements to the keyboard. I can't stand iOS keyboard on the iPhone. It constantly misses keys, leading to typos, leading to incorrect autocorrections. Need examples? There's a plethora of "Damn you iPhone Auto Correction" websites online. The keyboard that "just works" gave birth to that internet phenomenon. :T And the fact that Apple didn't announce any improvements to it in iOS 6 is really unfortunate.

kalex
Jun 27, 2012, 01:39 PM
Just preordered the tablet. I currently have ipad2 but find it pretty much useless as its too big for me. 7" is perfect size. Kindle fire was sized correctly for me but its performance was crap. Nexus 7 should be much better with Jelly bean.

As far as nexus $350 for unlocked no contract phone is a great price. If project butter helps with lag then I'm going to get it as well.

bembol
Jun 27, 2012, 01:40 PM

+1

end thread.

onthecouchagain
Jun 27, 2012, 01:44 PM
The only thing worth talking about in terms of pricing is that Apple never lowers the price, no matter how much time has passed, until the next generation one is released. Other than that, people will pay whatever they want for products they feel are worth it. I happen to think the iPad and Macs are worth it (not that I wouldn't mind if they were more affordable), but think that the iPhone isn't. People will feel differently.

iPhoneApple
Jun 27, 2012, 01:45 PM
Although they are cheaper, the iPhone has better access to support (genius bar) and it's glass and aluminum, not plastic.

chris2k5
Jun 27, 2012, 01:46 PM

Thats a dumb argument...iPhone and Nexus don't have same components what so ever. Fail on your part.

Big.Mac.Daddy
Jun 27, 2012, 01:50 PM
Just preordered the tablet. I currently have ipad2 but find it pretty much useless as its too big for me. 7" is perfect size. Kindle fire was sized correctly for me but its performance was crap. Nexus 7 should be much better with Jelly bean.

As far as nexus $350 for unlocked no contract phone is a great price. If project butter helps with lag then I'm going to get it as well.

I agree that 7' is currently the correct size for tablets. 10' screen is just too damn big for portability. Jelly bean will definitely level the playing field and the price vs value will make it a landslide for the Nexus Tablet. (for educated customers).

Project butter seems to be the final tipping point that Android will overtake iOS. The main thing people would try to complain of is "iPhone is smoother", well not anymore it seems once project butter takes off :)

Dmunjal
Jun 27, 2012, 01:52 PM
Thats a dumb argument...iPhone and Nexus don't have same components what so ever. Fail on your part.

They don't use the same ARM technology, same RAM, same storage, etc? There might be some tweaks and some differences in screen and GPU but there's more that's similar than different.

blackhand1001
Jun 27, 2012, 01:54 PM

unlike apple bmw has spec differences. I am no bmw fan or anything but they do make rwd cars vs fwd that honda makes.

doboy
Jun 27, 2012, 01:55 PM

iPhone 4S = $650
iPad = $500

Nexus Tablet = $199

How about $600+ unsubsidized Galaxy Nexus (Verizon) vs. $350 unlocked GNex? I'm sure Google is subsidizing part of the cost since it's made by Samsung and none of their flagship phones (incl SGII) costs below $500 unsubsidized.

nooaah
Jun 27, 2012, 01:55 PM

iPhone 4S = $650
iPad = $500

Nexus Tablet = $199

If you don't know how much it costs to manufacture an iPhone then why even make this thread? Maybe Samsung/Google are taking massive losses from this deal with each sale. Should Apple take losses on each sale just so they don't seem to you as greedy? C'mon, son.

blackhand1001
Jun 27, 2012, 01:57 PM

its dpi is not far off. 216 dpi vs about 260 for the ipad. The ipad 2 was only 130. 216 for a tablet is more than enough. The problem is that apple was forced to double the pixel density because of limitations to their OS. They had to make many compromises in heat and performance to due so. They also had to use a battery twice as large and still had worse battery life.

Big.Mac.Daddy
Jun 27, 2012, 02:00 PM
Should Apple take losses on each sale just so they don't seem to you as greedy? C'mon son

If your naive enough to think apple doesn't massively price gouge it's customers (aka the "apple tax") unlike what Google is doing, then why bother posting this reply? C'mon son.

doboy
Jun 27, 2012, 02:01 PM
I agree that 7' is currently the correct size for tablets. 10' screen is just too damn big for portability.

Wow, 7 ft screen is portable. :D Even at 7" it's not that portable unless you carry around a bag/briefcase/purse or you wear a suit. I did once fit my 7" tablet in shorts, but was way uncomfortable. I wouldn't call that portable.

kalex
Jun 27, 2012, 02:02 PM
How about $600+ unsubsidized Galaxy Nexus (Verizon) vs. $350 unlocked GNex? I'm sure Google is subsidizing part of the cost since it's made by Samsung and none of their flagship phones (incl SGII) costs below $500 unsubsidized.

as a consumer i welcome it. its saving me money. Verizon is gouging as well on their unsubsidized prices just as they always did because they control what phone is on their network. GSM doesn't have this problem. As long as bands are compatible u can use it wherever u want and bravo goes to google for selling nexus at that price point. Consumers win.

geoffm33
Jun 27, 2012, 02:03 PM
If your naive enough to think apple doesn't massively price gouge it's customers (aka the "apple tax") unlike what Google is doing, then why bother posting this reply. C'mon son.

I don't think price gouging means what you think it means. If it did, Apple would be breaking the law. Charging a premium sounds more like what they are doing. And yet, we don't know the exact markup so it's all speculation.

doboy
Jun 27, 2012, 02:03 PM
If your naive enough to think apple doesn't massively price gouge it's customers (aka the "apple tax") unlike what Google is doing, then why bother posting this reply. C'mon son.

Google doesn't make money by selling physical products. It sells your info. If you feel that they gouge so much you are free not to buy their products. Simple.

imahawki
Jun 27, 2012, 02:04 PM
This is the stupidest thread ever. Just because something is more expensive does NOT mean its not a good deal. These products are not identical and the only person who would try to claim they are is someone who has never used both (or either!).

kalex

excellent point

nfl46
Ordered the Nexus last night for $399. Hasn't shipped. They are going to credit me $50 since the price changed.

TroyBoy30
Jun 27, 2012, 02:06 PM

iPhone 4S = $650
iPad = $500

Nexus Tablet = $199

ill sell you my gsm gnex for $250 just as soon as the new iphone comes out. I cant wait to get rid of it

battery life is terrible
gps is terrible
ICS has no consistency at all
build quality is, well, plastic
its terribly slippery
im still waiting on a ton of apps to be offered for ICS. that will get even worse in july with jelly bean

doboy
Jun 27, 2012, 02:08 PM
as a consumer i welcome it. its saving me money. Verizon is gouging as well on their unsubsidized prices just as they always did because they control what phone is on their network. GSM doesn't have this problem. As long as bands are compatible u can use it wherever u want and bravo goes to google for selling nexus at that price point. Consumers win.

Of course consumer wins. Who, other than the manufacturers, doesn't want cheaper phones. Duh! I don't think it's necessarily Verizon price gouging, but MSRP of the flagship phones are just expensive. Look at the cost of all the unlocked phones in Europe.

ericrwalker
Jun 27, 2012, 02:09 PM
I'd still go with the iPhone, it's the only phone that runs iOS.

SuperBrown
Jun 27, 2012, 02:13 PM
Another useless thread comparing apples and oranges. No pun intended.

If you wanna pay less for a completely different product, and if it works for you, GREAT!

NOBODY CARES.

aristobrat
Jun 27, 2012, 02:15 PM
If your naive enough to think apple doesn't massively price gouge it's customers (aka the "apple tax") unlike what Google is doing, then why bother posting this reply? C'mon son.
The iPad is a very bad example of Apple price gouging, as other tablets of the same generation and similar size aren't coming in significantly under Apple's price.

As for the iPhone, for the majority of US folks that buy locked, subsidized phones (because there's no price incentive on their monthly bills for them to do otherwise), the iPhone price starts at $199. That makes the Galaxy Nexus 1.75x more expensive. I understand what "unlocked" and "contract free" mean, but I think they mean nothing to 99.5% of folks in the US, so the end result is that the method Google chose to sell the Galaxy (unlocked, contract-free) ends up gouging more money out of the consumers wallet than if they had chosen to sell it in the traditional method. It'd probably be free from carriers if they did that.

BFizzzle
Jun 27, 2012, 02:22 PM
you get what you pay for people...

with that extra money you are spending, you get a great warranty that you can easily go to the apple store/contact apple, and replace your phone/ipad. You get great tech support, great customer service, better security, solid cloud integration, OS updates, they arent spotty roll outs like ICS was., (*waits for raging complaints about no ipad1 ios6/lack of features on old devices), you get a phone that isnt plastic, the stock apps/software is great. high resell value, etc

yeah they are a bit pricey compared to others, but in my opinion i get my money worth.

Funkymonk
Jun 27, 2012, 02:32 PM

How is that a fair comparison? BMW and Honda aren't in the same class of devices. The nexus and the iPhone are.

gloss
Jun 27, 2012, 02:36 PM
So Google drops the price on a year-old handset and suddenly Apple is gouging. Gotcha.

nooaah
Jun 27, 2012, 02:40 PM

The cost of the materials to build the 16GB iPhone 4S is about $180. That's just the materials. Are you naive enough to think that there is no other money invested in the building of the phone other than the cost of parts? If you want, I can list out for you every other step of the process that costs Apple money before the handset actually makes it to a vendor for sale to a customer.

We can then talk about the merits of your claims of greed and price gouging. ;)

pyro008
Jun 27, 2012, 02:41 PM
I don't understand why there's so much blind devotion to a corporation... Apple steals your money Google steals your information. Neither of them care about you so why do you care about them?

Technarchy
Jun 27, 2012, 02:46 PM
How is that a fair comparison? BMW and Honda aren't in the same class of devices. The nexus and the iPhone are.

The GNexus is a turd. It's only claim to fame was ICS.

imahawki
Jun 27, 2012, 02:50 PM
In YOUR opinion. Millions of people disagree, voting with their wallets.

onthecouchagain
Jun 27, 2012, 02:57 PM
Ordered the Nexus last night for $399. Hasn't shipped. They are going to credit me $50 since the price changed.

Just curious, what'd you do to get the credit back?

nfl46
Jun 27, 2012, 03:03 PM
Just curious, what'd you do to get the credit back?

The rep I talked to said they would e-mail you and there will be link posted on the website about a $50 credit. But you would have to call the support number. It was either I get a $50 credit, or I receive the device, DON'T open it and return it and wouldn't have to pay the 15% return fee and reordered it for $349 If the device is opened, you have to pay 15% return fee, which was around $66 for me.

Edit: For confirmation, I called back in. The agent would like you up by your e-mail address. He specifically stated that if you purchased your Nexus from Google Play within 15 days, you ARE eligible for a $50 credit. An e-mail will be sent to your e-mail address on file to fill out and the $50 will be credited to the card you bought the device on.

blairh
Jun 27, 2012, 03:14 PM

iPhone 4S = $650
iPad = $500

Nexus Tablet = $199

The GNex screen sucks compared to the iPhone. It also has an inferior camera. Stock ICS is great but the hardware of the GNex fails it.

Yes, the unlocked iPhone 4S is crazy expensive. Then again you can purchase a used 4S off Craigslist if desired for less.

Also, you are comparing an 8GB 7" tablet versus a 16 GB 9.7" tablet. Yes, the later will be more expensive.

Yes, I like the Nexus tablet quite a bit from what I see so far, but I don't think your original gripe holds any weight.

blackhand1001
Jun 27, 2012, 03:29 PM
its dpi is not far off. 216 dpi vs about 260 for the ipad. The ipad 2 was only 130. 216 for a tablet is more than enough. The problem is that apple was forced to double the pixel density because of limitations to their OS. They had to make many compromises in heat and performance to due so. They also had to use a battery twice as large and still had worse battery life.

not sure why I was downrated. The nexus 7's dpi is just about equal to the retina macbook pros dpi and no one is complaining about that.

bri1212
Jun 27, 2012, 03:29 PM

iPhone 4S = $650
iPad = $500

Nexus Tablet = $199

It's not more for your money if in the end your going to feel stuck with a Galaxy Nexus, and Nexus Tablet, and Android.

onthecouchagain
Jun 27, 2012, 03:32 PM
Giz gives a great video overview of JB's new features: http://gizmodo.com/5921713/android-jelly-beans-new-features

bri1212
Jun 27, 2012, 03:36 PM
I don't understand why there's so much blind devotion to a corporation... Apple steals your money Google steals your information. Neither of them care about you so why do you care about them?

I am not sure why you call it blind devotion because someone chooses to buy an Iphone, or for that matter a Nexus whatever. Apple does not steal your money. They offer a product for a price. If you don't like the price, don't buy it. They do not force me to buy. And I am not sure that google steals information any more than any other technology company.

chris2k5
Jun 27, 2012, 04:19 PM
They don't use the same ARM technology, same RAM, same storage, etc? There might be some tweaks and some differences in screen and GPU but there's more that's similar than different.

Exactly. There is a difference. So its just plain ignorance and arrogance to say they are the same thing. Not to mention the hardware on the iPhone is ten folds higher quality material.

#staypressed cause you've been #flushed

Dmunjal
Jun 27, 2012, 04:53 PM
I didn't say exactly but similar. The fact is that the cost of materials of high end devices is about the same. So why the discrepancy in price?

irDigital0l
Jun 27, 2012, 04:58 PM
So what would the price be for a 2 year contract?

EDIT: Wow...its not coming to Verizon or what?

Azadre
Jun 27, 2012, 05:00 PM
This is too cheap to pass up.

irDigital0l
Jun 27, 2012, 05:10 PM
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/device/smartphone/samsung-galaxy-nexus

Wait is this it?

Only $150?

DAMN...

PDFierro
Jun 27, 2012, 05:10 PM
So what would the price be for a 2 year contract?

EDIT: Wow...its not coming to Verizon or what?

It is on Verizon. This is the unlocked version, it is a little different.

Ke1ington
Jun 27, 2012, 05:15 PM
I didn't say exactly but similar. The fact is that the cost of materials of high end devices is about the same. So why the discrepancy in price?

Battery/screen/processor materials, sure. That aside, I think it's safe to say it'll cost more to build an iPhone than any of the plastic Android phones.

Dmunjal
Jun 27, 2012, 05:24 PM
Yes I agree. But not so much more to justify the price that Apple charges. The only real innovation in the iPhone is iOS. Everything else is readily available and mostly commoditized from third parties that all vendors have access to.

nfl46
Jun 27, 2012, 05:25 PM
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/device/smartphone/samsung-galaxy-nexus

Wait is this it?

Only $150?

DAMN...

That's for a 2 year contract.

$349 is for an unlocked phone.

At this point, I wouldn't sign a 2-year extension for the Nexus, only buy it unlocked. No point of paying $149 for a 2-year contract when you can get the S3 for $199.

But $349 for an unlocked phone is a STEAL, especially a Google phone. They always get the updates first, heck even the 2010 version of the Nexus is still getting updates first.

LSUtigers03
Jun 27, 2012, 05:32 PM
Battery/screen/processor materials, sure. That aside, I think it's safe to say it'll cost more to build an iPhone than any of the plastic Android phones.

Well according to the link below the material costs of a 16gb 4s is $188 I doubt high end Android phones are much less if at all. If I was Apple I would charge whatever price would net me the biggest profit. Apple does add a premium to their devices because they can and people will pay it. I'm fine with Apple charging whatever they want. They're in business to make money.

iPhone 4s costs (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/20/iphone-4s-component-costs-once-again-begin-at-about-188/)

NewAnger
Jun 27, 2012, 05:36 PM
I would still rather have an iPhone. I'll stay with the iPhone till there is no iPhone to buy.

lilo777
Jun 27, 2012, 05:37 PM

Oh really? Even though it has NFC, OLED, 4G, faster CPU, higher screen resolution, 2x more RAM than iPhone 4S? The only category where iPhone has an advantage is GPU. If GNexus is a turd what do you call iPhone 4S then?

Technarchy
Jun 27, 2012, 05:51 PM
If GNexus is a turd what do you call iPhone 4S then?

A better product.

depths
Jun 27, 2012, 06:04 PM

The Galaxy Nexus I'm typing this on doesn't feel like a turd, it feels pretty damn nice actually.

PDFierro
Jun 27, 2012, 06:07 PM
I wouldn't get so excited about the Galaxy Nexus being cheaper on Verizon, as it is not nearly as good as the unlocked version.

Big.Mac.Daddy
Jun 27, 2012, 06:22 PM
Another reason why Google is a much better company to purchase mobile devices from: Software Updates.

Apple makes its profits from hardware sales so it price gouges the customer AND withholds software features to make you purchase new hardware. Turn-by-turn navigation being withheld from the iPhone 4 anyone?

With Google you get a company that isn't trying to make money off of hardware, simply gain market share, so they don't artificially withhold software features to get you to upgrade. You get the full OS update without limitations.

cyks
Jun 27, 2012, 06:25 PM
Another reason why Google is a much better company to purchase mobile devices from: Software Updates.

Apple makes its profits from hardware sales so it price gouges the customer AND withholds software features to make you purchase new hardware. Turn-by-turn navigation being withheld from the iPhone 4 anyone?

With Google you get a company that isn't trying to make money off of hardware, simply gain market share, so they don't artificially withhold software features to get you to upgrade.

How many 3 year old phones running Android get updates? For that matter, how many phones in general can upgrade to ICS (without rooting)?

Big.Mac.Daddy
Jun 27, 2012, 06:32 PM
How many 3 year old phones running Android get updates? For that matter, how many phones in general can upgrade to ICS (without rooting)?

Not the point.

At least Google doesn't make up B.S. excuses about older hardware supposedly not supporting new OS features just so they can rip you off for another $650.

Googles Nexus line isn't about making profits off hardware and withholding features from you (unlike Apple), it's simply to make a pure experience to gain market share by having the best product.

cyks
Jun 27, 2012, 06:42 PM
Not the point.

At least Google doesn't make up B.S. excuses about older hardware supposedly not supporting new OS features just so they can rip you off for another $650.

Googles Nexus line isn't about making profits off hardware and withholding features from you (unlike Apple), it's simply to make a pure experience to gain market share by having the best product.

So, by your reasoning, it's better to not update at all (or promise updates and never deliver in some cases) than to offer practically full upgrades for years with only a few limitations. Interesting.

Big.Mac.Daddy
Jun 27, 2012, 06:48 PM
So, by your reasoning, it's better to not update at all (or promise updates and never deliver in some cases) than to offer practically full upgrades for years with only a few limitations. Interesting.

Give a specific example regarding the Nexus line like I did with the iPhone 4 and stop talking fluff in generalities.

As for updates: Yes, I'd rather have a company not lie to my face about older hardware supposedly not supporting software features that the older hardware (iPhone 4 w/ turn by turn navigation, Siri, etc) is perfectly capable of running just so they can rip me off for another $650 for the newest hardware.

PhoneI
Jun 27, 2012, 07:20 PM

Ah, it's the old my device of choice has worse specs, so what I will do is declare this spec isn't important to try to prove my device is better.

I will take the iPad 3 screen over any other mobile device screen on any other device. It's really not even that close.

Redjericho
Jun 27, 2012, 07:26 PM
That's like saying I could buy an Xbox 360 or I could buy a playstation 1 and playstation 2, two inferior pieces of hardware don't add up to a superior piece of hardware.

depths
Jun 27, 2012, 07:27 PM

You need to understand that it's not Google that is delaying updates, it's the carriers and manufacturers. As soon as the AOSP update is available from Google you can flash it or wait for an OTA update.

At least that is the case with Nexus devices and it is one of their primary strengths.

Google is rumoured to be teaming up with manufacturers to release a variety of Nexus devices towards the end of the year and this will give customers the freedom to purchase a device that best suits their needs and avoid lenghty delays imposed by manufacturers and carriers.

Older hardware is always going to be left behind eventuality due to software requirements, Nexus or otherwise. I find that easier to accept than planned obsolescence.

cyks
Jun 27, 2012, 07:27 PM
Give a specific example regarding the Nexus line like I did with the iPhone 4 and stop talking fluff in generalities.

Fine. The Nexus One came out only 5 months before the iPhone 4, but it never received ICS since Google dropped support for it long ago. Meanwhile, the iPhone 4 continues to get updates... and likely will for (at least) another year.

depths
Jun 27, 2012, 07:40 PM
I just read a bit more of the thread and realised my post is not really realated to what you two are discussing but **** it, took me ages to type on my phone, I'm leaving it :)

DodgeV83
Jun 27, 2012, 07:52 PM
Oh really? Even though it has NFC, OLED, 4G, faster CPU, higher screen resolution, 2x more RAM than iPhone 4S? The only category where iPhone has an advantage is GPU. If GNexus is a turd what do you call iPhone 4S then?

The iPhone 4S has better CPU performance, giving more raw horsepower to the apps, due to iOS being more efficient than the VM nature of Android.

This is why the iPhone 4S beats the Nexus in all CPU related benchmarks. Is the A5 faster or slower than whatever CPU is in the Nexus? Debatable. Some say you can't compare the clockspeed of the two CPUs to determine raw horsepower, some say you can.

Does an app on the iPhone 4S have more CPU horsepower available to work with, measured in terms of the theoretical maximum number of operations per second, absolutely.

Jb07
Jun 27, 2012, 08:12 PM

That's a terrible analogy. The BMW offers many things over the Honda, especially at that price. What does the iPhone offer that the GNex doesn't? "Ecosystem?" Not a great argument, considering 90% of iOS apps are also on Android. iTunes content can all be moved on the GNex easily by dragging and dropping. The GNex and iPhone are essentially the same phone internally, but BMW and Honda are completely different beasts.
Also, BMW is a premium brand, Apple is not. It's a Honda vs. Toyota comparison; they are both easily purchased by the average person, but which is the better deal for the money?

E.Lizardo
Jun 27, 2012, 08:15 PM

The operating system is EVERYTHING. it IS the device.And for me iOS is well worth the extra,especially since you are much less of a piece of meat to be sold(by Google)with iOS.
Google hasn't invested millions in a "free" OS just to be nice.

irDigital0l
Jun 27, 2012, 08:15 PM
I wouldn't get so excited about the Galaxy Nexus being cheaper on Verizon, as it is not nearly as good as the unlocked version.

Sorry for being uniformed and all but what are the biggest differences?

0m3ga
Jun 27, 2012, 08:21 PM
I agree with you in that Widgets is overrated, however, there are certain ones that are worth having. Namely the toggles. I love being able to toggle my lock screen on and off, for example. I tap it on when I go out and need the obvious security, and I toggle it off when I'm at home where it's safe and I don't need to log in with my pin every time I pick up my phone. Ditto for sound settings, toggling between vibrate/sound/silence; toggling WiFi and GPS, brightness settings, etc.

To me, the most exciting thing about JB is the Swiftkey-like improvements to the keyboard. I can't stand iOS keyboard on the iPhone. It constantly misses keys, leading to typos, leading to incorrect autocorrections. Need examples? There's a plethora of "Damn you iPhone Auto Correction" websites online. The keyboard that "just works" gave birth to that internet phenomenon. :T And the fact that Apple didn't announce any improvements to it in iOS 6 is really unfortunate.
You no longer need widgets to toggle system features like mute, wifi, bt, etc.. It's built into the expanded notification center. Of course, on the S2 and S3 if you want to silence the phone, just lay the phone facing down on a flat surface.
And I totally agree with you on the iOS keyboard and iOS auto-correct. The new Swiftkey 3 update is how all keyboards should function. Glad to see it is going to be incorporated into Jellybean.

PhoneI
Jun 27, 2012, 08:29 PM
That's a terrible analogy. The BMW offers many things over the Honda, especially at that price. What does the iPhone offer that the GNex doesn't? "Ecosystem?" Not a great argument, considering 90% of iOS apps are also on Android. iTunes content can all be moved on the GNex easily by dragging and dropping. The GNex and iPhone are essentially the same phone internally, but BMW and Honda are completely different beasts.
Also, BMW is a premium brand, Apple is not. It's a Honda vs. Toyota comparison; they are both easily purchased by the average person, but which is the better deal for the money?

1. 90% of the apps I use are not available on Android
2. I can say the iOS ecosystem is better because "in my opinion" it is.
3. The GNex and iPhone don't look, or feel anything like the same phone.
4. My iPad 3 screen completely destroys the new Nexus tablet screen
5. I use many apps that sync perfectly between my MacBook, iPad, and iPhone.
6. I have no need for a 7" tablet. My next iPhone will be 4". Not that big of a difference
7. Widgets are a waste of time. I can't really think of one reason to get an Android device over an iPhone.

again, this is all my opinion

blackhand1001
Jun 27, 2012, 08:31 PM
The iPhone 4S has better CPU performance, giving more raw horsepower to the apps, due to iOS being more efficient than the VM nature of Android.

This is why the iPhone 4S beats the Nexus in all CPU related benchmarks. Is the A5 faster or slower than whatever CPU is in the Nexus? Debatable. Some say you can't compare the clockspeed of the two CPUs to determine raw horsepower, some say you can.

Does an app on the iPhone 4S have more CPU horsepower available to work with, measured in terms of the theoretical maximum number of operations per second, absolutely.

ugh not you again. It does not beat android in all benchmarks.

----------

Fine. The Nexus One came out only 5 months before the iPhone 4, but it never received ICS since Google dropped support for it long ago. Meanwhile, the iPhone 4 continues to get updates... and likely will for (at least) another year.

They stopped selling the nexus one almost two years ago. They still sell the iPhone 4.

Jb07
Jun 27, 2012, 08:34 PM
6. I have no need for a 7" tablet. My next iPhone will be 4". Not that big of a difference

Wait, what? So if Apple put a 5.3" screen in the next iPhone, you would say it's not much of a difference between 3.5", right?

PDFierro
Jun 27, 2012, 08:40 PM
Sorry for being uniformed and all but what are the biggest differences?

I'm sure the Verizon version is an okay phone in its own right. Not unusable, but if I had a choice, I would go for the unlocked one.

For starters, it has Google Wallet. Verizon seems to be preventing this because they are pushing Isis.

The unlocked Nexus also has HSPA+ (faster 3G) instead of 4G. The battery life with Verizon's 4G LTE model is horrible. The unlocked with HSPA+ gets you much better battery life. I've also heard of various signal and reception problems with the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon.

Unlocked also has 16 GB instead of 32 GB found in Verizon's version. That'd be the only downside. You can also get updates more quickly on the unlocked, making it a true Nexus. Google has to go through Verizon before an update can be made available, which can take awhile.

Honestly, I'm on Verizon, and I'm thinking about the Galaxy Nexus. But I would leave and go unlocked, simply because I want the more pure and better version.

PhoneI
Jun 27, 2012, 08:43 PM
Wait, what? So if Apple put a 5.3" screen in the next iPhone, you would say it's not much of a difference between 3.5", right?

um no, think about what Im saying for a sec...

smartphone screens are becoming larger. I think the sIII screen is 4.8". The next iPhone screen will be 4". To me, a 7" tablet screen is not that much larger. I much prefer the larger screen of the iPad. Especially for my usage...
PDF docs, technical diagrams, sketches, etc.

Jb07
Jun 27, 2012, 08:51 PM
um no, think about what Im saying for a sec...

smartphone screens are becoming larger. I think the sIII screen is 4.8". The next iPhone screen will be 4". To me, a 7" tablet screen is not that much larger. I much prefer the larger screen of the iPad. Especially for my usage...
PDF docs, technical diagrams, sketches, etc.

I see... I guess I just misunderstood what you were trying to say.

Technarchy
Jun 27, 2012, 09:02 PM
Google sold less than 250k GNEX phones on Verizon. It sucks and the word got out fast.

The Nexus7 is already a joke bottom feeding product that exemplifies android's race to the bottom business model.

They know like we all know that garbage can't go toe to toe with the iPad so instead they go after the kindle fire and no name JC Penny tablet market.

What happened to all the talk of taking 50% of the tablet market in 2011 google?

Big.Mac.Daddy
Jun 27, 2012, 09:06 PM
Google sold less than 250k GNEX phones on Verizon. It sucks and the word got out fast.

The Nexus7 is already a joke bottom feeding product that exemplifies android's race to the bottom business model.

They know like we all know that garbage can't go toe to toe with the iPad so instead they go after the kindle fire and no name JC Penny tablet market.

What happened to all the talk of taking 50% of the tablet market in 2011 google?

Please try to troll harder next time. Being as obvious as your response above invalidates whatever you say that much more :D

0m3ga
Jun 27, 2012, 09:12 PM
1. 90% of the apps I use are not available on Android
2. I can say the iOS ecosystem is better because "in my opinion" it is.
3. The GNex and iPhone don't look, or feel anything like the same phone.
4. My iPad 3 screen completely destroys the new Nexus tablet screen
5. I use many apps that sync perfectly between my MacBook, iPad, and iPhone.
7. Widgets are a waste of time. I can't really think of one reason to get an Android device over an iPhone.

again, this is all my opinion
1. If you work in a niche area, I can believe this. However, 99% of the mainstream apps and games are in the Google Play store.
2. IOS ecosystem is better than anything out right now. Makes a difference when a single company makes hardware, software and sells it direct.
3. ???
4. IPad screen is better than the new Nexus tablet. More ppi. Was this ever debatable? It was a way to keep the thing under $200 is my guess. Some people may not need a 'retina' display and still be happy with their purchase.
5. You do know that Android devices can sync perfectly with iTunes, right? Additionally, Google apps like calendar, gmail and drive can auto sync with any mobile device, except maybe Blackberry.
6. A 7" Nexus will be more than twice the size of a 4" iPhone. Just like a 10" tablet is nearly twice the size of a 7" tablet. Big difference. Although, I agree with you, if you already have a 4" or larger phone, plus a 10" ipad, there is no need for a 7", but it will beavailableif people want it.
7. You can't think of any reason to get something like the S3 over an iPhone? That's because you are accustomed to NOT having features with Apple.

iPhoneApple
Jun 27, 2012, 09:19 PM
Not the point.

The best product? They are on Jelly Bean (4.1) and more than half of Android users are still on 2.2 .

0m3ga
Jun 27, 2012, 09:26 PM
Please try to troll harder next time. Being as obvious as your response above invalidates whatever you say that much more :D

He's just a little kid and it's summer break. That's why he is able to post now and just signed up. Just set him on ignore in settings. In a month and a half, he'll be back in jr. High school.

onthecouchagain
Jun 27, 2012, 09:27 PM
You no longer need widgets to toggle system features like mute, wifi, bt, etc.. It's built into the expanded notification center. Of course, on the S2 and S3 if you want to silence the phone, just lay the phone facing down on a flat surface.

Was comparing to iOS. :)

Big.Mac.Daddy
Jun 27, 2012, 09:29 PM
The best product? They are on Jelly Bean (4.1) and more than half of Android users are still on 2.2 .

Please READ my response your quoting silly :p

I said "The Nexus line". I didnt say "All Android Devices" :rolleyes:

Android is open sourced so the OEM's can do whatever they want, and usually they screw the customer by holding back updates to force them to upgrade (just like Apple does) because that's how they make their money is by selling hardware.

Google isn't tainted trying to make money off of you through hardware. Google's Nexus line of devices is a pure experience where you don't have to worry about getting ripped off the way you do with Apple and the iPhone (or the OEM's and random non nexus android phones).

Technarchy
Jun 27, 2012, 09:33 PM

There is a reason google is going down market, bargain bin on their Nexus line of devices. That's the only value those products command from the market. People won't pay more for trash, so the price is lowered to sucker the unsuspecting.

The GNEX is younger than the 4S and that phone already has lost half of its value.

Big.Mac.Daddy
Jun 27, 2012, 09:39 PM
There is a reason google is going down market, bargain bin on their Nexus line of devices. That's the only value those products command from the market. People won't pay more for trash, so the price is lowered to sucker the unsuspecting.

The GNEX is younger than the 4S and that phone already has lost half of its value.

Thank you for heeding my advice. Troll responses like this make it that much easier to spot :D

As for the lower price that's because they aren't trying to make a couple of dollars off hardware, they make almost all of their $ through advertising, so they don't need to screw over customers by gouging them on hardware prices the way Apple does.

depths
Jun 27, 2012, 09:58 PM
Technarchy the Nexus tablet is priced to compete with lower end products because there's a market for lower end tablets, not because that's all people will pay for tablets running Android.

You can't see the appeal in a $200 tablet running pure Jelly Bean for reading books, magazines, watching movies, browsing reddit?

It will probably sell pretty well despite the new threat from Microsoft and the clearly superiour hardware in the IPad 3 (which I own).

You seem to have a real vendetta against all things Android. Sucks if you had a bad experiance with a Galaxy S2/Android in the past but there's been a lot of ground covered in the past year and it's not a bad place to be right now.

As I've mentioned I use pretty much everything. I've got a desktop dual booting Windows and Linux, a Macbook Pro, an IPad 3 and a Galaxy Nexus. I'm not biased towards any platform.

aristobrat
Jun 27, 2012, 10:02 PM
As for the lower price that's because they aren't trying to make a couple of dollars off hardware, they make almost all of their $ through advertising, so they don't need to screw over customers by gouging them on hardware prices the way Apple does.
So since every other phone manufacture follows Apple's model (making a couple of dollars off hardware) and not Google's model (make almost all of their $ through advertising), using your logic, every phone manufacturer other than Google gouges customers on hardware prices.

Does Google sell a $99 model phone and a $0 model phone, like Apple does?

Technarchy
Jun 27, 2012, 10:11 PM

Considering all of the money android handset makers pull in is from hardware sales what does that say about HTC, Samsung, LG, and everyone else...

aristobrat
Jun 27, 2012, 10:17 PM
Considering all of the money android handset makers pull in is from hardware sales what does that say about HTC, Samsung, LG, and everyone else...
$199 = Apple iPhone 4s
$199 = Samsung Galaxy III
$199 = Motorola DROID 4
$199 = HTC One X
$199 = HTC Titan 2
$229 = RIM BlackBerry Bold 9930
$249 = Samsung Galaxy Note
$299 = Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX

If Apple is gouging at $199, ... ???

Dmunjal
Jun 27, 2012, 10:27 PM
Look at list prices, not subsidized US carrier prices.

aristobrat
Jun 27, 2012, 10:28 PM
Look at list prices, not subsidized US carrier prices.
Those are the prices that I (and hundreds of million other consumers) pay when we buy a new phone.

depths
Jun 27, 2012, 11:06 PM
Yes but you can't compare the price direct from the Google Play Store or Apple Store to subsidised vendor prices because the latter has choosen to make the device available at a chosen price so they can secure a contract for a set period of time.

0m3ga
Jun 27, 2012, 11:28 PM
Yes but you can't compare the price direct from the Google Play Store or Apple Store to subsidised vendor prices because the latter has choosen to make the device available at a chosen price so they can secure a contract for a set period of time.

No contract pricing for 16GB U.S. models:

iPhone 4S - $649 (nearly year old tech, and this is the list price as of June 7, 2012.)
Samsung Galaxy S3 - $549 (list price from AT&T as of 6 June. You can not buy a Us version of the S3 direct from Samsung. You have to go through a carrier.)

I bought my versions at these prices. I don't do contracts with carriers.

Dmunjal
Jun 27, 2012, 11:34 PM
Why do US carriers subsisize iPhones more than Android to the tune on $100 per phone that goes straight to Apple? Either Android phones should be $99 or iPhones should be $299.

DodgeV83
Jun 27, 2012, 11:38 PM
ugh not you again. It does not beat android in all benchmarks.

All benchmarks? No. All CPU benchmarks? Yes.

cyks
Jun 27, 2012, 11:53 PM
Why do US carriers subsisize iPhones more than Android to the tune on $100 per phone that goes straight to Apple? Either Android phones should be $99 or iPhones should be $299.

Greed.
People (historically) have no problem paying $200, but hesitate for anything above... and there's no reason to sell Androids at $99 when the same people will be willing to pay $199 for it.

blackhand1001
Jun 28, 2012, 12:05 AM
All benchmarks? No. All CPU benchmarks? Yes.

No, not true. But no ones gonna convince you otherwise.

depths
Jun 28, 2012, 12:12 AM
You can not buy a Us version of the S3 direct from Samsung. You have to go through a carrier.)

I'm not too familiar with how things work in America regarding carriers (Australian).

So you can buy an international version that will work in your country but wont have 4g, unlocked or a local version from Verizon, ATT ect with modified hardware and 4g on contract or unlocked. Is that correct?

0m3ga
Jun 28, 2012, 12:43 AM
I'm not too familiar with how things work in America regarding carriers (Australian).

So you can buy an international version that will work in your country but wont have 4g, unlocked or a local version from Verizon, ATT ect with modified hardware and 4g on contract or unlocked. Is that correct?

Exactly. You described it perfectly. (Although it's LTE, vice 4G. My understanding is, the same version you have in Oz can run at HSPA+/4G speeds, here in the US. Not nearly as fast as LTE, but faster than 3G.)

By the way, spent a bit of time down in Oz (Perth) about 15 years ago. Awesome place and great people!

depths
Jun 28, 2012, 01:01 AM
Perth is excellent but our sharks like to eat people :)

blackhand1001
Jun 28, 2012, 01:10 AM
Wow running the preview build of jelly bean on my verizon nexus and holy crap this is smooth. I thought ics was butter smooth but this is even smoother. It even makes ios seem a little laggy. I can't wait for my nexus 7 to come. The tegra 3 was definitely a little smoother in ics based on playing with the transformer prime at the store and it must be crazy in jellybean. Gosh 2 weeks can;t come soon enough.

Calidude
Jun 28, 2012, 01:20 AM
Wow running the preview build of jelly bean on my verizon nexus and holy crap this is smooth. I thought ics was butter smooth but this is even smoother. It even makes ios seem a little laggy.
I just got it too and I would say at the very least that the average person wouldn't be able to tell which one lags behind the other.

Just wait until this gets officially made into a custom ROM and given the Linaro treatment. It will be amazing.

0m3ga
Jun 28, 2012, 01:25 AM
Wow running the preview build of jelly bean on my verizon nexus and holy crap this is smooth. I thought ics was butter smooth but this is even smoother. It even makes ios seem a little laggy. I can't wait for my nexus 7 to come. The tegra 3 was definitely a little smoother in ics based on playing with the transformer prime at the store and it must be crazy in jellybean. Gosh 2 weeks can;t come soon enough.

It's called 'Operation: Smooth as Butter" :D The boys working in the mobile OS department at Google have been working over time.

I'm gonna wait for the official rom to hit, sinse I am already on 4.0.4 with the S3. I honestly don't know how they can make my phone operate any faster or smoother, since it is already at 60fps? Although I do like the dynamic resizing of icons/widgets, plus the flicking icons off your screen to delete them. Pretty cool. (I'm sure Apple will copy this feature soon.)

dontwalkhand
Jun 28, 2012, 01:26 AM
Those are the prices that I (and hundreds of million other consumers) pay when we buy a new phone.

Gah I wish that changes soon. That is the reason why iPhones drop in value so much as well! (Why should I buy your iPhone if I can get a new one for $199?)

pyro008
Jun 28, 2012, 01:42 AM
I am not sure why you call it blind devotion because someone chooses to buy an Iphone, or for that matter a Nexus whatever. Apple does not steal your money. They offer a product for a price. If you don't like the price, don't buy it. They do not force me to buy. And I am not sure that google steals information any more than any other technology company.
Its not buying a phone that suggests a devotion, its coming in here and arguing about how one is so much better than the other.

blackhand1001
Jun 28, 2012, 01:46 AM
It's called 'Operation: Smooth as Butter" :D The boys working in the mobile OS department at Google have been working over time.

I'm gonna wait for the official rom to hit, sinse I am already on 4.0.4 with the S3. I honestly don't know how they can make my phone operate any faster or smoother, since it is already at 60fps? Although I do like the dynamic resizing of icons/widgets, plus the flicking icons off your screen to delete them. Pretty cool. (I'm sure Apple will copy this feature soon.)

don't you mean invent that feature and then patent it. :rolleyes:

Technarchy
Jun 28, 2012, 02:03 AM
No, not true. But no ones gonna convince you otherwise.

It's hard to convince him otherwise when his argument is backed by testing results rather than conjecture

The 4S SOC demolishes the GNEX OMAP and ancient GPU

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph5310/43400.png

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph5310/43402.png

LSUtigers03
Jun 28, 2012, 07:24 AM
It's hard to convince him otherwise when his argument is backed by testing results rather than conjecture

The 4S SOC demolishes the GNEX OMAP and ancient GPU

Image (http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph5310/43400.png)

Image (http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph5310/43402.png)

And the International S3 beats the 4s. Who cares? The iPhone 4 is pretty far down that list. I didn't see all these benchmarks being thrown around then. I guess at that time specs and benchmarks didn't matter right? Not until the iPhone was the best at some random benchmark did it become important.

GrandPhrase
Jun 28, 2012, 09:46 AM
Get what you want without onsidering the price. I mean I know money is taken into account when buying items at such high prices, but after all it is about getting what you really prefer. Stay with what you love lol.

#Ambition

PhoneI
Jun 28, 2012, 10:02 AM
1. If you work in a niche area, I can believe this. However, 99% of the mainstream apps and games are in the Google Play store.
2. IOS ecosystem is better than anything out right now. Makes a difference when a single company makes hardware, software and sells it direct.
3. ???
4. IPad screen is better than the new Nexus tablet. More ppi. Was this ever debatable? It was a way to keep the thing under $200 is my guess. Some people may not need a 'retina' display and still be happy with their purchase.
5. You do know that Android devices can sync perfectly with iTunes, right? Additionally, Google apps like calendar, gmail and drive can auto sync with any mobile device, except maybe Blackberry.
6. A 7" Nexus will be more than twice the size of a 4" iPhone. Just like a 10" tablet is nearly twice the size of a 7" tablet. Big difference. Although, I agree with you, if you already have a 4" or larger phone, plus a 10" ipad, there is no need for a 7", but it will beavailableif people want it.
7. You can't think of any reason to get something like the S3 over an iPhone? That's because you are accustomed to NOT having features with Apple.

- um, I use plenty of apps that are not available on android. Most of them sync perfectly with their OSX counterpart, and none of the sync with iTunes (so I really don't understand your argument).

- I was an Android user for many years. I still have about 3 Android devices in my desk drawer. I just found the whole experience lacking compared to iOS. But thats just my opinion, who are entitled to yours.

- People may want a 7" tablet, but I most certainly do not.

LSUtigers03
Jun 28, 2012, 10:08 AM

Neither do I. I love my iPad and don't want a smaller tablet but there are a lot of people that probably do. When Samsung released the Note I thought they were crazy but there's a pretty big market for that type of phone and it sold very well.

diamond.g
Jun 28, 2012, 10:22 AM

Which saddens me, I was really hoping Apple could break us of our need to capitulate to the carriers in the US by offering a phone that we all want to us directly, contract free.

nyc999
Jun 28, 2012, 08:50 PM
$199 = Apple iPhone 4s
$199 = Samsung Galaxy III
$199 = Motorola DROID 4
$199 = HTC One X
$199 = HTC Titan 2
$229 = RIM BlackBerry Bold 9930
$249 = Samsung Galaxy Note
$299 = Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX

If Apple is gouging at $199, ... ???

$299 for a droid razr maxx? what are you smoking??

amazon sells it for $99 with contract.
http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-DROID-RAZR-MAXX-Wireless/dp/B0071G0KR4

please get your facts right!

0m3ga
Jun 28, 2012, 09:19 PM
- um, I use plenty of apps that are not available on android. Most of them sync perfectly with their OSX counterpart, and none of the sync with iTunes (so I really don't understand your argument).

- I was an Android user for many years. I still have about 3 Android devices in my desk drawer. I just found the whole experience lacking compared to iOS. But thats just my opinion, who are entitled to yours.

1. I assumed when you said you sync between your MBP, iphone and iPad, you were referring to iTunes syncing, or iCloud. I was simply pointing out, Android can sync to itunes.

2. I have been an iOS user for the last 4 years, as well as an OSX user with my iMac and MBP. I'm typing this up on my iPad2, as a matter of fact. After buying a Touchpad for $99 and putting CM9 in dual boot mode to play with and learn ICS, I started to see how lacking and restrictive iOS was and still is. Now that I have the SGS3 running ICS, the debate is over. I am holding on to my iPad simply to see if iOS6 can make typing on this thing bareable, as well as make accessing my vids on itunes better. (to this day, my ipad can not show the correct image to the correct video file via the built in Videos app. Just works, my a55.) I have found the entire iOS experience now lacking in so many areas. Just my opinion, but one based on so, so many examples.

bhags8
Jun 28, 2012, 09:22 PM
Will this
https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Galaxy_Nexus_HSPA?id=galaxy_nexus_hspa&hl=en

work with Verizon?

ugahairydawgs
Jun 28, 2012, 09:23 PM
Will this

work with Verizon?

No

BrandonZ
Jun 28, 2012, 09:26 PM
No

He's correct. AT&T and tmobile but not Verizon

alphaod
Jun 28, 2012, 10:01 PM
I can buy a brand new BMW for 40k or a new Honda for 20k. This BMW price gouging must stop!!!!!That would be valid analogy if they were using the exact same engine, drivetrain, and components. Smartphones, tablets, and even PCs all pretty much use the same hardware now. The difference is in software which certainly deserves a premium but how much?

Alright…

I can buy a brand new Mercedes S500 for $95000 or a Hyundai Genesis Equus for $60000; Mercedes is horribly overpriced!

bhags8
Jun 28, 2012, 10:02 PM
No

Funny, because its like $649 w/o contract if you buy it from Verizon.

alex2792
Jun 28, 2012, 10:41 PM
Gens isn't as good as iPhone 4s and therefore it costs less. It has a pretty weak CPU and in my experience the battery life is terrible especially with LTE(I had the Verizon version).

mbell1975
Jun 28, 2012, 10:46 PM
Gens isn't as good as iPhone 4s and therefore it costs less.

I'll make this quick

http://versusio.com/en/samsung-galaxy-nexus-32gb-vs-apple-iphone-4s-64gb

DodgeV83
Jun 28, 2012, 10:52 PM
I'll make this quick

http://versusio.com/en/samsung-galaxy-nexus-32gb-vs-apple-iphone-4s-64gb

An arbitrary feature list having 6 more plus points does not make one piece of technology better than the other, especially when many said features are based on opinion, or misleading numbers.

mbell1975
Jun 28, 2012, 10:55 PM
An arbitrary feature list having 6 more plus points does not make one piece of technology better than the other, especially when many said features are based on opinion, or misleading numbers.

LOL ok...the 4G speeds, bigger screen, HD display, flash and removable battery with more power make it a ton better than the 4s on that alone. keep telling yourself a phone running old 3G tech with a tiny 3.5 inch screen that doesn't take SD cards or new batteries is superior LMAO

DodgeV83
Jun 28, 2012, 11:03 PM
LOL ok...the 4G speeds, bigger screen, HD display, flash and removable battery with more power make it a ton better than the 4s on that alone. keep telling yourself a phone running old 3G tech with a tiny 3.5 inch screen that doesn't take SD cards or new batteries is superior LMAO

Yes, and I made a thread with over 100 points that I think the iPhone 4S does best. Are you really going to bring this argument into every thread?

0m3ga
Jun 28, 2012, 11:18 PM
Gens isn't as good as iPhone 4s and therefore it costs less. It has a pretty weak CPU and in my experience the battery life is terrible especially with LTE(I had the Verizon version).
Assuming the iPhone 5 has LTE, wait until you see what it does to the battery life on your precious iPhone... assuming Apple doesn't complete castrate all other processors in favor of battery life.

----------

Sticking you head in the ground and covering your ears seems to be your solution to everything. Just ignore anything that doesn't agree with your point of view. Great way to live your life.

DodgeV83
Jun 29, 2012, 01:12 AM
Assuming the iPhone 5 has LTE, wait until you see what it does to the battery life on your precious iPhone... assuming Apple doesn't complete castrate all other processors in favor of battery life.

----------

Sticking you head in the ground and covering your ears seems to be your solution to everything. Just ignore anything that doesn't agree with your point of view. Great way to live your life.

Yes, and I made a thread with over 100 points that I think the iPhone 4S does best. I can be argued that both lists are based on opinion, what makes this +6 list better than my +100 list?

0m3ga
Jun 29, 2012, 01:25 AM
Yes, and I made a thread with over 100 points that I think the iPhone 4S does best. I can be argued that both lists are based on opinion, what makes this +6 list better than my +100 list?

There is no point talking to you. All the proof in the world wouldn't matter to you or nuckingfutz. You both are making arguements about a subject you know nothing about.

Would you contradict a Formula 1 driver about his car and its capabilities? I mean, obviously you guys know everything and people that use the product every day know zip. This is the basis for your arguements.

You pray to the :apple: and are a zealot in your reasoning. Ergo, there is no reasoning.

DodgeV83
Jun 29, 2012, 01:33 AM
There is no point talking to you. All the proof in the world wouldn't matter to you or nuckingfutz. You both are making arguements about a subject you know nothing about.

Would you contradict a Formula 1 driver about his car and its capabilities? I mean, obviously you guys know everything and people that use the product every day know zip. This is the basis for your arguements.

You pray to the :apple: and are a zealot in your reasoning. Ergo, there is no reasoning.

On what basis are you claiming the +6 list of opinions is "proof" of superiority, while the +100 list of opinions is not?

0m3ga
Jun 29, 2012, 02:40 AM
^^^ Done. There is no point talking with you. I do pity you, however, and hope that one day you wake up from the Apple matrix.

OneMike
Jun 29, 2012, 08:17 AM
I wouldn't say the iPhone is overpriced, but as with anything. The nexus gives you options if you don't think the iPhone cost is justifiable.

Tarzanman
Jun 29, 2012, 08:58 AM
I wouldn't say the iPhone is overpriced, but as with anything. The nexus gives you options if you don't think the iPhone cost is justifiable.

The iPhone is certainly overpriced compared to its competition..... but that is familiar territory for any middle aged Apple device.

I am not knocking the phone, but you get less (less function, older tech) for the same amount of money as a current top Android smartphone.

aristobrat
Jun 29, 2012, 11:48 AM
$299 for a droid razr maxx? what are you smoking??

amazon sells it for $99 with contract.
http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-DROID-RAZR-MAXX-Wireless/dp/B0071G0KR4

please get your facts right!
And Verizon Wireless (you know, the place with all of the stores that people walk into to buy phones) sells it for $299.

Or to the OPs point, this phone is $649 from Verizon Wireless without a contract. Just like the iPhone.

walie
Jun 29, 2012, 02:34 PM

alright then

Lets say a "Justin Biebler and Chris Brown ARE AWESOME!!!" list had +100 points compared to a "Radiohead is better than both of them" list that had only +6 points.

would you say the Justin Biebler list is better? If so, I'm so sorry for you.

DodgeV83
Jun 29, 2012, 03:03 PM
alright then

Lets say a "Justin Biebler and Chris Brown ARE AWESOME!!!" list had +100 points compared to a "Radiohead is better than both of them" list that had only +6 points.

would you say the Justin Biebler list is better? If so, I'm so sorry for you.

Nope, I wouldn't, and that's exactly my point :)

You can't use an arbitrary list of one person's opinion as "proof" that one device is better than another.

bri1212
Jun 30, 2012, 01:36 PM
Google isn't tainted trying to make money off of you through hardware. Google's Nexus line of devices is a pure experience where you don't have to worry about getting ripped off the way you do with Apple and the iPhone (or the OEM's and random non nexus android phones).

Google isn't tainted by trying to make money. Talk about fanboyism. Your still caught on this getting ripped off by phone manufacturers, however, that is not stealing, It is offering a product for a price. No one forces you to buy the product. No one promised you a different experience, no one lied to you in order to get you a phone. You feel free to go out and enjoy and buy Nexus phones to your hearts content, but don't tell me that Google is not trying to make money on the hardware. That just makes you sound like you live in fantasy land and drinking too much of that Nexus kool-aid.

ugahairydawgs
Jun 30, 2012, 02:06 PM
Not the point.

You're right. They're about getting you as deeply immersed in their ecosystem as possible so they can harvest your data and use it to sell targeted ads.

One makes their money on hardware, the other on data. I personally prefer to pay my money for the hardware and let that be the end of it, but that's me. Let's not act like either company is some paragon of virtue though. Both have their strengths....both have their weaknesses.

Technarchy
Jun 30, 2012, 09:06 PM
This confirms android tablets have no market and make no money.

The Nexus 7 is literally being given away. Google is selling it at cost.

This also proves Google is a terrible partner. All the other tablet makers will get screwed as Google undercuts them. No wonder LG and Dell dumped android.

All Google cares about is stealing your info and selling it to the highest bidder.

dccorona
Jun 30, 2012, 11:28 PM
what you need to understand is that google and apple make their money in very different ways. Google can afford to sell their products for little to no (or even negative) profit...they make all their money off selling ads through their services. The more they know about you and the more you use their service, the more money they make.

Apple's services, on the other hand, exist to support their hardware, which is where their money comes from. For the most part, they don't sell your data, or present ads to you (though iAds does do this, most of that money goes to developers, not apple), and they don't make money from you using their services. They make money from you buying their hardware.

Now, I'm not really one to be bothered by google selling my information...things have to be paid for somehow, and I'm not self centered enough to feel I'm entitled to google services free AND ad-free. But it bothers some. And iOS is seen by many as a superior product, not necessarily in features, but in usability and stability, and that's worth the money to some.

Also, don't forget that a majority of people buy their phones on contract, so its $200 either way. Were I to buy off contract, it'd be a GNex, hands down, simply because of the price.

And, it's worth mentioning that your comment about the tablets doesn't hold up like the phone does...the nexus tablet isn't in the same class as the iPad. It just isn't. There's no argument for that

404 tech junkie
Jun 30, 2012, 11:50 PM

This also proves Google is a terrible partner. All the other tablet makers will get screwed as Google undercuts them. No wonder LG and Dell dumped android.

All Google cares about is stealing your info and selling it to the highest bidder.

LG didn't dump Android...:rolleyes:

mbell1975
Jul 1, 2012, 01:51 AM

As usual, you are way off base. The Asus transformer infinity is coming out for $500 and you can get the Prime for $350. Both are 10 inch tablets. You really think Asus is stupid enough to sell this for anywhere close to the price of even the Prime? $200-$250 is right about what this should be priced and they will sell a ton. Not only from people like me who have an iPad or Prime but would like a smaller and lighter tablet as well and Android fans who want Jelly Bean but don't have a Nexus phone.

Technarchy
Jul 1, 2012, 02:02 AM
LG didn't dump Android...:rolleyes:

LG no longer makes android tablets.

Smart move on LG's part.

And the Nexus 7 breaks even when sold by Google Play and is sold at a loss when you buy from anyone else essentially. It's the same tactic as the Kindle fire. It's a razor/razor blade model where Google makes money off stealing your info and selling Google Play content. That doesnt help other hardware makers one bit.

Translation: screw your hardware partners and ensure android tablets depreciate even faster.

Vegastouch
Jul 1, 2012, 02:06 AM

Smart move on LG's part.

LOL, LG stopped (http://pinoydroid.net/lg-stop-developing-tablets) making tablets period to focus more on smartphones..that use Android! :rolleyes:

404 tech junkie
Jul 1, 2012, 06:15 PM

Smart move on LG's part.

And the Nexus 7 breaks even when sold by Google Play and is sold at a loss when you buy from anyone else essentially. It's the same tactic as the Kindle fire. It's a razor/razor blade model where Google makes money off stealing your info and selling Google Play content. That doesnt help other hardware makers one bit.

Translation: screw your hardware partners and ensure android tablets depreciate even faster.

LG stopped making tablets. That's entirely different from "LG dumped Android". LG stopped making tablets so they can focus primarily on their Optimus line. Their tablets weren't moving much anyway, and since it's a relatively small niche market at the present time, it makes more sense for them to focus on smartphones. HTC did the same thing a while ago....

LOL, LG stopped (http://pinoydroid.net/lg-stop-developing-tablets) making tablets period to focus more on smartphones..that use Android! :rolleyes:

Exactly!

swordfish5736
Jul 1, 2012, 06:23 PM
I'd be curios to see what the percentage of purchases on contract are versus unlocked. I'd guess the average person isn't going to be buying an unlocked phone. In which case they are priced the same no?

BMW doesn't offer a twin-turbo v6 either so meh.

Dmunjal
Jul 1, 2012, 06:42 PM
I'd be curios to see what the percentage of purchases on contract are versus unlocked. I'd guess the average person isn't going to be buying an unlocked phone. In which case they are priced the same no?

BMW doesn't offer a twin-turbo v6 either so meh.

Sorry, should have been turbo I6!

P0stalTek
Jul 1, 2012, 06:51 PM
I paid $200 for my wife's iPhone 4S a few days ago, so how much is that Galaxy once subsidized? I'm guessing it is $150. I'll pay $50 to have far better app selection and user OS experience. :apple:

EDIT: Also, let's talk resale value when the next, big thing comes along and I wish to sell my phone to fund an out of contract purchase? Oh right.. Android phones aren't necessarily known for their resale value :?

mbell1975
Jul 1, 2012, 07:05 PM
I paid $200 for my wife's iPhone 4S a few days ago, so how much is that Galaxy once subsidized? I'm guessing it is $150. I'll pay $50 to have far better app selection and user OS experience. :apple:

EDIT: Also, let's talk resale value when the next, big thing comes along and I wish to sell my phone to fund an out of contract purchase? Oh right.. Android phones aren't necessarily known for their resale value :?

Resale value is a myth with the iPhone. I never had a problem selling my Android phones within a few days off CL. I couldn't sell my 4s for anything! Not only because there are a TON in circulation and they are a dime a dozen, you have all the knockoffs being sold and iPhones with bad ESNs are everywhere. It was almost impossible to sell my 4s and I had to take a lot less than retail price for it.

P0stalTek
Jul 1, 2012, 07:32 PM
Resale value is a myth with the iPhone. I never had a problem selling my Android phones within a few days off CL. I couldn't sell my 4s for anything! Not only because there are a TON in circulation and they are a dime a dozen, you have all the knockoffs being sold and iPhones with bad ESNs are everywhere. It was almost impossible to sell my 4s and I had to take a lot less than retail price for it.

Wow, that truly is surprising. Sorry for your poor fortune, but I have seen friends sell theirs for good money (ie. always way more than the money necessary for the next subsidized iPhone).

404 tech junkie
Jul 1, 2012, 11:43 PM

That's not true. I buy and sell iPhones all the time, and I have yet to have an issue with selling one. Not sure what you've experienced, but any time I sell an iPhone, it sells quite easily for $450.

Xian Zhu Xuande
Jul 1, 2012, 11:56 PM
iPhone seems horribly HORRIBLY overpriced compared to the Galaxy Nexus.
Google makes very little on their hardware compared to Apple. They depend on advertising—on advertising to you, on you using their services—to make their money. Apple makes their money on the hardware. Also, the quality comparison between these devices is not equal (especially the tablet) but that's only part of the story. The Google devices are available for a good price.

Note that the comparison doesn't hold up when you compare the iWhatever to an Android device which is intended to make money on the hardware.

That said, if these devices are going to play a regular role in your life and you're not cash strapped enough that this is a huge difference, buy the experience you want. Like a bed or an office chair: you're spending significant chunks of your life in them but people tend not to see them as worthwhile expenses.

nyc999
Jul 5, 2012, 08:52 PM
And Verizon Wireless (you know, the place with all of the stores that people walk into to buy phones) sells it for $299.

Or to the OPs point, this phone is $649 from Verizon Wireless without a contract. Just like the iPhone.

You would have to be pretty ignorant to pay $299 for a phone when you get it for $99. It is not like most people haven't heard of amazon.

bri1212
Jul 9, 2012, 08:51 PM
Its not buying a phone that suggests a devotion, its coming in here and arguing about how one is so much better than the other.

Is that what you got from my quote? I didn't see one word in my message, which indicated that the iphone or any other phone was better.

skidbubble
Jul 9, 2012, 10:38 PM

Wat?

Frankied22
Jul 9, 2012, 10:44 PM
Wat?

You can buy the 16GB WiFi iPad 2 for $399.

onthecouchagain
Jul 10, 2012, 08:36 AM
I'm really curious to see what the next Nexus device will sell for on the Play Store. If they can offer as good or better specs as the current SIII, and still keep it in the sub-$500 range unlocked and with US warranty, that would be phenomenal.

iphone1105
Jul 11, 2012, 01:14 PM
Wat?

You can buy the 16GB WiFi iPad 2 for $399.

what he said....

cynics
Jul 11, 2012, 01:26 PM
I love my Xoom. Many laugh at it but it's I use it 100x more then my ipad2. Just really versatile. USB hosting has become essential to me, works great with game controllers, keyboards, mouse, etc it will even charge my iphone several times over. LTE (I know the new iPad had LTE but I don't have a new iPad) was just as important at the time too since I use it has a hotspot all day.

Currently Android tablets are destroyed by the iPad though all though I'm not positive why. I may pick up a new iPad once I see ios6 in person.

onthecouchagain
Jul 12, 2012, 09:05 AM
What's also nutty is that the iPhone 4 (not 4S) is still $549 factory unlocked from Apple. Quite a premium for a nearly 2 year old device.

I do wonder how much it'll drop after the next gen iPhone. Would it be $375 like the 3GS is?

ReallyBigFeet
Jul 12, 2012, 09:25 AM

iPhone 4S = $650
iPad = $500

Nexus Tablet = $199

Why are you confused? Inferior copycat products SHOULD be cheaper than premium offerings from Apple.

There's a market for tier two offerings and Samsung is targeting it. Apple isn't.

cynics
Jul 12, 2012, 09:35 AM
I'm confused too. Apple has such a high profit margin because that's what people are willing to pay. Regardless of how good or bad a product is if consumer is willing to pay a 40% profit margin then it would be dumb for apple not to charge it. Apple isn't in business to do people favors they are in business to make money. Can't be mad at them it's not like anyone NEEDS an iPhone.

It's up to the consumer to do research and decide if they are willing to pay that much.

Ay_Zimmy
Jul 12, 2012, 10:48 AM
The nexus and iPad aren't even comparable. I rather one Lacoste polo than two American eagle polos.

aznsmith
Sep 14, 2012, 03:42 PM
Apple products are nice due to the quality of customer service. The app and accessory ecosystem is a bit of a preference but I believe Apple has the upperhand due to the continuing sale of past gen products. Material build is usually higher for current gen Apple products than other companies. Software support is typically longer with Apple (example: 3gs is getting ios 6), however, the nexus product line provides good software support as well.