PDA

View Full Version : Back up disc

oldcelt
Jun 27, 2012, 02:20 PM
Hi all. Not very technical and old so bear with me. Have just got a new MBA and decided for various reasons to transfer files etc from old MBP gradually, and manually, not using migration/set up assistant.
Is it possible to delete all the backups from my external disc (WD MY Passport for Mac) and use it for my backups from the new MBA?
If so how do I go about it?

Thanks all.

tey112
Jun 27, 2012, 02:29 PM
If you want to delete the old backup, just delete the files? If you are running into some error like "Can't Delete", open Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility and Erase the Western Digital Drive. (Note: That will delete every file on the drive.)

To start backups, just open Time Machine and turn it on.

More Advanced. You can have multiple Time Machine backups on a single drive. You can browse other backups from the Time Machine application.

ZBoater
Jun 27, 2012, 02:30 PM
Yes.

Delete the files (or reformat the drive if there isn't anything else you need there).

Setup Time Machine on your new MBA to point to the new drive.

Grab a beer and celebrate.

oldcelt
Jun 27, 2012, 02:37 PM
If you want to delete the old backup, just delete the files? If you are running into some error like "Can't Delete", open Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility and Erase the Western Digital Drive. (Note: That will delete every file on the drive.)

To start backups, just open Time Machine and turn it on.

More Advanced. You can have multiple Time Machine backups on a single drive. You can browse other backups from the Time Machine application.

On disc utilities and erase.
Which format should I choose - MS-DOS (FAT) or Mac OS Extended (Journaled).
The latter is the first in the list?

oldcelt
Jun 27, 2012, 02:58 PM
Yes.

Delete the files (or reformat the drive if there isn't anything else you need there).

Setup Time Machine on your new MBA to point to the new drive.

Grab a beer and celebrate.
Already drunk too much wine tonight!!!!!!:):)

tey112
Jun 27, 2012, 03:04 PM
On disc utilities and erase.
Which format should I choose - MS-DOS (FAT) or Mac OS Extended (Journaled).
The latter is the first in the list?

I believe Mac OS Extended (Journaled is fine) will be the easiest for you. Are you using this drive with a PC at all?

oldcelt
Jun 27, 2012, 03:13 PM
No. Just a 2007 MBP.

oldcelt
Jun 27, 2012, 04:22 PM
Thanks to all for your help!:):):):)